Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't know how anyone can look at the sequle trilogy and think a) the middle episode was its nadir, or b) be so annoyed at it that they continue to pursue tendentious axe grinding sessions about it in tangentially related threads, but okay.

Star Wars has been near exclusively located in its in past for decades anyway. Disney Plus releasing a bunch of expanded historical material isn't a reaction to the sequel trilogy so much as its business as usual.

Vinylshadow posted:

Which is the same thing The Timeless Children did by saying HEY DID YOU KNOW THERE'S A BUNCH OF DOCTORS WAY BACK IN THE DAY THAT WE'VE NEVER SEEN?

Yeah, to elaborate on what's been said, Chibnall's actually playing with a minor continuity point from The Brain Of Morbius, so this observation isn't correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Voting Floater posted:

Googled it and apparently it's that Jodie won't be on the cover of the 2022 Doctor Who Annual. Bit weird not to have the current Doctor on the cover, but naturally the press have gone full "Jodie Whittaker set to QUIT after Doctor Who Annual SNUB!!!!!" about it.

To be honest, this is just one in a stream of things where Jodie and the 13th Doctor aren’t being publicized. You’ve had the whole Time Lord Victorious thing which pushed Tennant as its focus and didn’t even involve Jodie, there are two new books coming out; one with Tennant (who is on the cover) and one with Jodie (who isn’t). Even Dr Ruth seems to be getting more publicity for this latest escape room/show thing they just launched in London (aside from the Barrowman issue).

Not that I agree with the claims she’s quitting over this, but if I was Jodie (or her agent), this would be pissing me off. Given the fandom whining about her, the BBC should be making more effort to promote her and support her as otherwise they’re just feeding the critics.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

Ah, the Rian Johnson approach to storytelling; certainly something worth emulating in TYOL 2021 - and look how well that turned out by turning the future of a series into a dead end so hard they decided to jump far into the past

...hmm...

Which is the same thing The Timeless Children did by saying HEY DID YOU KNOW THERE'S A BUNCH OF DOCTORS WAY BACK IN THE DAY THAT WE'VE NEVER SEEN?

Ah, suddenly it all makes sense, so thanks for bringing that to my attention

*Sigh.* I have my doubts about trying to have a good faith back & forth with someone who shares a click-bait headline and then responds to my objection by bringing up both The Last Jedi and The Timeless Children and somehow tries to equate them despite the fact that the "jump far into the past" was all JJ and not Johnson. (Never mind that in TLJ it's the villain who talks about killing the past while the hero recovers the ancient Jedi texts.) But here goes.

My imagined quote--“I know the role and I think you’d do well with it without spending a solid month researching.”--referred to the AUDITION. You do know what an audition is, right? Show me one piece of evidence suggesting that Chibnall said to Whittaker, after she was cast, that it would be a bad idea to spend a month researching the part.

If Chibnall recommended to Whittaker that she not stress out about trying to somehow encompass the entire history of Doctor Who in her audition performance, it was not just good advice, but kind.

He's committed plenty of outrages, and continues to provide plenty of evidence that he can't communicate messages coherently and neglects obvious and effective storytelling elements in his episodes. I responded to the last special by spending hours rewriting the story and then posting the results here to illustrate how much Chibnall bobbled things. There is so much low-hanging fruit here that you'd have to bend double to avoid hitting your head. I don't see any reason to create a new sense of outrage over something that was good and solid advice to a performer who did not yet have a part and who could easily have been overwhelmed in audition by trying to somehow capture the long and rich history of an iconic role via cramming, when that research is better done after being cast and accepting the part.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Who fans would do well to watch Loki, it’s very much in the same ballpark.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Colin Baker was offered the part without an audition, that's how cool he is.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

OldMemes posted:

Colin Baker was offered the part without an audition, that's how cool he is.

But he first did extensive research by watching The Two Doctors fifty or sixty times.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Narsham posted:

But he first did extensive research by watching The Two Doctors fifty or sixty times.

I don't know how this is possible!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
it's called season 6b, look it up

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

Who fans would do well to watch Loki, it’s very much in the same ballpark.

"You're the criminal with the blue box!" being gasped by a time bureaucrat absolutely killed me :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

"You're the criminal with the blue box!" being gasped by a time bureaucrat absolutely killed me :allears:

There’s even a robot dog in the latest ep!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

There’s even a robot dog in the latest ep!

And Loki encounters another incarnation of himself, who is a woman with short blonde hair!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

And Loki encounters another incarnation of himself, who is a woman with short blonde hair!

:monocle:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Chibnall advising Whitaker that she didn't need to watch any of Doctor Who beforehand is like the first good idea he's had. So what if she'd gone back and seen Terror of the Vervoids or whatever? She's doing the best with the material she's got, the issue is that the material is crap.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I had to pause and take a second at that one myself.

And it's pretty heartening to hang out here as compared to the rest of the Dr. Who fandom because people seem to understand that Jodie isn't at fault for this material.

When Game of Thrones still existed before we decided that it had never happened, you could set your watch to people treating the bad writing of the women on the show as the fault of the actresses.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Said it before, but that bit Jodie did on her own, where she recorded a reassuring message in costume for kids during the pandemic, showed that she "got" the character of the Doctor waaaaay better than the numbskull fanboy who's running the show.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Happy birthday to both Jodie Whittaker and Arthur Darvill! Both born on the exact same day!

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/jun/19/peter-capaldi-i-was-arrested-connection-bomb-explosion

quote:

If you could go back in time, where would you go?
Because of Doctor Who, I’ve had to make up so many bogus answers to this question, so I never want to answer it again.

lol
cursed for life

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Journalist: What is the closest you’ve come to death?
Capaldi: Death is always close.

I can easily see him delivering this line with a smile, in a complete deadpan, or in a terrifyingly ominous way :allears:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"Hm...I remember sitting there with Susan, fighting over that seat with Jaime... I think Jo snapped a heel there, and Sarah Jane dragged me here for a drink once..."

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Are the big finish Missy audios good?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Are the big finish Missy audios good?

The first set is mostly great, the second set less so. The latter has also come under fire for its depiction of the Ogrons, which, yeah, not good IMO.

Masterful is excellent though. Well worth it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

What's this about the Ogrons in Missy? Google isn't helping me out here.

Just listened to Omega, and it didn't really do anything for me. The jokes about the tourist traps were funny, but I was rather confused about what was going on for a lot of it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

With Omega, you definitely had to have seen the TV story "Arc of Infinity", where Omega finally escapes the anti-matter universe in a copy of the Doctor's body. The Doctor kills him at the end, except in "Omega" he didn't die. He's still in the Doctor's body, but it also caused a split personality. So the "Doctor" thinks he's talking to the disembodied voice of Omega, when in fact it's really Omega having a conversation with himself since he's in a copy of the Doctor's body, but not realizing he's having a conversation with himself, until the real Doctor shows up at the end of part three.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

What's this about the Ogrons in Missy? Google isn't helping me out here.

They turn up in Too Many Masters, the second season finale, and they fall right into the classic "dumb black brute" shibboleth that Terry Nation started back in Day Of The Daleks, (as does pretty much any BF script that uses Ogrons, they really need to stop).

The worst part is that the script's trying to actively subvert playing into the stereotype, but it does so in ways that are just loving moronic.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Day wasn't Nation, it was Louis Marks

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Watching Mind of Evil again is a trip. Wait, there was an unnamed Chinese woman we have no other description of seen several months ago in another location entirely? They MUST be the same person! (and they were!). Plus the Doctor talking about what good buddies he is with Chairman Mao, the prisoner basically getting the equivalent of a lobotomy, the American Senator who gets a late night phonecall to come alone to the suite of a Chinese Delegate (who replaced the one who was murdered earlier that afternoon!) and going,"Well.... okay, but my dinner better not get cold!"

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Open Source Idiom posted:

They turn up in Too Many Masters, the second season finale, and they fall right into the classic "dumb black brute" shibboleth that Terry Nation started back in Day Of The Daleks, (as does pretty much any BF script that uses Ogrons, they really need to stop).

The worst part is that the script's trying to actively subvert playing into the stereotype, but it does so in ways that are just loving moronic.

I enjoy Too Many Masters, but I also have a huge soft spot for The Monk, and am a middle class white male so don't have the perspective to see the issue above off the bat. I can definitely see the interpretation and will be curious if it colors my future re-listen I now plan.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Davros1 posted:

With Omega, you definitely had to have seen the TV story "Arc of Infinity", where Omega finally escapes the anti-matter universe in a copy of the Doctor's body. The Doctor kills him at the end, except in "Omega" he didn't die. He's still in the Doctor's body, but it also caused a split personality. So the "Doctor" thinks he's talking to the disembodied voice of Omega, when in fact it's really Omega having a conversation with himself since he's in a copy of the Doctor's body, but not realizing he's having a conversation with himself, until the real Doctor shows up at the end of part three.

Yep, I've seen Arc of Infinity (admittedly a while ago). I thought that twist was cool, but the story itself didn't click all the ideas together for me. I find the Fifth Doctor a little dull some of the time - Davidson is fine, I just always thought Five was a bit too quiet and reserved for my taste. I keep trying to change my mind and see why people like Five so much, but its just not happened yet.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 21, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Yep, I've seen Arc of Infinity (admittedly a while ago). I thought that twist was cool, but the story itself didn't click all the ideas together for me. I find the Fifth Doctor a little dull some of the time - Davidson is fine, I just always thought Five was a bit too quiet and reserved for my taste. I keep trying to change my mind and see why people like Five so much, but its just not happened yet.

The current writing for the Fifth Doctor over at BF has been really great -- specifically the Scott Handcock era that starts with Tartarus. They've been exploring how brittle the character is, once you push past all the faux-politeness and English professionalism, and been emphasising some of the character's more introverted qualities. He's very, very repressed, and it's been fun to watch the series poke at that.

That said, Omega rocks. (Also there's a very blatant EDA shoutout at one point, which I mention since I know that's the kind of thing that you follow.)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Aw, we lost Jackie Lane, aka 1st Doctor companion Dodo.

https://twitter.com/fantomfilms/status/1407754873421062149

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tangentially related, the way she showed up on the show always struck me like she was playing the character stoned and just was kind of rolling with the weird poo poo she was seeing, and it was a shame that this kind of cool arrival quickly turned into basically just a basic template from the Susan/Vickie model.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

This really bums me out, as Jackie had intentionally distanced herself from the show (with a few exceptions), but I got the feeling she was opening up to it a bit more and we might have got her to contribute to the blurays.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Today on the Disney+ show ‘Master’:

He meets another incarnation of himself and they argue a lot! Lots of RUNNING! They trick their way onto a train without having a ticket using psychic means! “Spoilers!” An alien planet is doomed, but can they save it before it’s all too late? Oh no, there’s a cliffhanger! OO EEE OOOOOOO

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 24, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also there is an argument about how violence shouldn't be the first plan/answer to a problem!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Listening to Master (not to be confused with Master!) and this story is a really dark character study in the way only a 7 story can do. Geoffrey Beevers is outstanding in this.

It's just the really weird retcon the story throws out doesn't work? Nor does it make masses of sense to just throw it out there. It fits the themes of the story, but not the series or character overall.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
well, it's a story the SEVENTH Doctor is telling to manipulate someone. So who knows.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, Beevers and McCoy are great but the backstory/retcon bullshit is ridiculous. Another example of Lidster putting in a pointless bit of grim misery that goes nowhere and accomplishes and changes nothing for no reason :argh:

Insert my usual caveat here that I am aware Joseph Lidster is apparently a lovely and very nice person who has done very good non-Who related writing in the past.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Tony Selby has died :(

Glitz is off chasing that last grotzig in the afterlife...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Zaroff posted:

Tony Selby has died :(

Glitz is off chasing that last grotzig in the afterlife...

drat. I always thought it was such a big miss not having any Sabalom Glitz audios. With how far reaching BF is with getting side characters back, I can only assume he wasn't interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The_Doctor posted:

Today on the Disney+ show ‘Master’:

He meets another incarnation of himself and they argue a lot! Lots of RUNNING! They trick their way onto a train without having a ticket using psychic means! “Spoilers!” An alien planet is doomed, but can they save it before it’s all too late? Oh no, there’s a cliffhanger! OO EEE OOOOOOO

Didn't film in a real quarry though did it.