Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The bus company released a statement saying it was perfectly fine for their drivers not to wear any PPE at all since all the passengers had been screened multiple times before they'd been allowed on the flight. But don't worry! They also announced they'd be deep cleaning the buses afterwards! :doh:

Yeah that was hosed.

I think they also used the excuse that “it’s dangerous to drive in PPE!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

She is a bit better although today is day 6 with a fever. She tested positive for RSV although she may have had that a month ago. Basically she was in isolation for a year and then went to preschool and got sick within 4 days. I guess her immune system wasn't ready.

We are giving suppositories because she just refuses any medication. They tried to force some down her throat and the nurses said she was probably the best they've ever seen at resisting.

I've seen a few articles about how everyone (in the writer's friend group) is suddenly getting colds again.

There's a pretty cool site produced by a company that makes PCR testing equipment that detects a wide array of diseases.

The site shows a near real-time view of trends in which pathogens their equipment is detecting. Note that the coronavirus below is the common cold coronaviruses and not SARS-CoV-2. They also have one for GI pathogens at the same link.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

7of7 posted:

I've seen a few articles about how everyone (in the writer's friend group) is suddenly getting colds again.

Completely anecdotal, but I got laid off on Halloween 2017, spent 2018 almost isolated as much as 2020 (went to the store and interviews), and started a new job January 2919. After a few weeks of being in an office again, I got laid out by a massive cold

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

Completely anecdotal, but I got laid off on Halloween 2017, spent 2018 almost isolated as much as 2020 (went to the store and interviews), and started a new job January 2919. After a few weeks of being in an office again, I got laid out by a massive cold

Time traveling can be tough on the body.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

7of7 posted:

Time traveling can be tough on the body.

The Morlocks at the office are notoriously filthy disease vectors. Don't @ me.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Galewolf posted:

Thank you very much for the above post, this explains quite a lot. I mean, I'm sure some Australians would love the prospect of forever closed off country but having an unvaxxed country with no internal restrictions sounds pretty :ohdear: and hopefully you'll catch up. Even the world leader on vaccine skepticism France is like at 21% fully vaxxed with 40 mil. first doses, :cmon:

Also Aus's local CSL vaccine was a bit of a disaster so they had to pivot to making Astrazeneca delaying things even further.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-55269381

Galewolf posted:

Thank you very much for the above post, this explains quite a lot. I mean, I'm sure some Australians would love the prospect of forever closed off country but having an unvaxxed country with no internal restrictions sounds pretty :ohdear: and hopefully you'll catch up. Even the world leader on vaccine skepticism France is like at 21% fully vaxxed with 40 mil. first doses, :cmon:

Speaking of closed off the Aus government has seemingly decided that this should only apply to some countries in the future. The recently agreed FTA with the UK includes some pretty startling provisions for work visas like the removal of local applicant priority and extending youth mobility visa's to 35 years of age and three years in duration while removing the agri work requirement. I wonder why they decided the UK in particular was fine for liberalised visa laws.
:thunk:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Side effects for Pfizer were equally bad for me as AZ, and ended about the same time. So day 2 after shot 2 and I feel good!

I likened my immune system to having an anxiety disorder, one little thing happens and it panics and overreacts. Flu shots often hit me hard too.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

In NYC, it’s like the only people remaining who aren’t vaccinated are the aggressively dumb. The vast majority have known someone in their circle who died from COVID, know people who have gotten vaccinated and are doing fine, but somehow think the vaccine years from now will be worse than something that has killed off 600k Americans.

I’m fine with opening things up and letting them take their chances. Waiting on them to change their minds is no longer worth it.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

MadJackal posted:

I’m fine with opening things up and letting them take their chances. Waiting on them to change their minds is no longer worth it.

I've been saying for a while that people should be given the choice of two injections: vaccine or live virus. Let's get this over with.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Novo posted:

I've been saying for a while that people should be given the choice of two injections: vaccine or live virus. Let's get this over with.

Well that’s what’s happening now.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Well that’s what’s happening now.

It's not though because we aren't bothering to look for asymptomatic covid and are ignoring vaccinated people with covid if it is not hospitalized. those numbers are important, especially with the chances of long covid being undiscovered as of yet in vaccinated populace.

E: What's happening is we have a vaccine that is very young and, though numbers look great early on, we're all seriously taking chances even if we're vaccinated because nobody is bothering to watch and see what happens to vaccinated people unless the breakthrough cases is so severe they're practically dying from it. I absolutely believe the vaccine is good and I sure as heck got it and encourage people to get it, but not following up on this stuff is poor medicine and poor research.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

7of7 posted:

There's a pretty cool site produced by a company that makes PCR testing equipment that detects a wide array of diseases.

The site shows a near real-time view of trends in which pathogens their equipment is detecting. Note that the coronavirus below is the common cold coronaviruses and not SARS-CoV-2. They also have one for GI pathogens at the same link.

Starting to get a cold today and I’m pretty sure it’s all
My daughters daycare being massless now

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Just got scheduled for my pfizer booster as part of the trial (or technically transferring to a new trial). Trip report to follow in a few weeks.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Scarodactyl posted:

Just got scheduled for my pfizer booster as part of the trial (or technically transferring to a new trial). Trip report to follow in a few weeks.

hell yeah, hope you get the side effects

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It's not though because we aren't bothering to look for asymptomatic covid and are ignoring vaccinated people with covid if it is not hospitalized. those numbers are important, especially with the chances of long covid being undiscovered as of yet in vaccinated populace.

You keep saying this kind of thing and ignoring that test positivity has gone way, way down. It’s around 2 percent for the whole US. It’s under half a percent in NY. If there were tons of asymptomatic cases running around the test positivity rate would be way higher. Same with vaccinated positives.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

It’s also difficult now to get a test that insurance will cover unless a doctor recommends it as far as I’ve seen. They’re not cheap if you’re paying out of pocket, maybe $70-$120.

So you’d actually expect the positivity rate to be going up, but it’s not. That’s a great sign.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Also it's a drain on logistics currently being used to deploy vaccines.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I mean, hell, this study just came out:

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2021/06/16/coronavirus-vaccine-pfizer-health-workers-study/2441623849411/

One dose of the mRNA vaccine prevented 95 percent of cases in healthcare workers, who were the most exposed to the virus and most likely to be routinely tested. That’s one dose. I don’t think these hidden cases in the fully vaccinated are anywhere near the concern some people in this thread think they are.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Space Camp fuckup posted:

It’s also difficult now to get a test that insurance will cover unless a doctor recommends it as far as I’ve seen. They’re not cheap if you’re paying out of pocket, maybe $70-$120.

So you’d actually expect the positivity rate to be going up, but it’s not. That’s a great sign.

What are you talking about? At least here in the US you can still get no-cost covid tests at plenty of places (like most CVS locations).

I do agree, though, that the positivity rate going down is a very good sign.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

What are you talking about? At least here in the US you can still get no-cost covid tests at plenty of places (like most CVS locations).

Check the fine print there, it depends on your insurance. I did some research on this for a client and as far as I could tell you have to pay out of pocket unless you get a referral from a doctor.

Of course this all varies by state and insurer but I got the impression it’s fairly standard.

Space Camp fuckup fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 16, 2021

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I mean, hell, this study just came out:

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2021/06/16/coronavirus-vaccine-pfizer-health-workers-study/2441623849411/

One dose of the mRNA vaccine prevented 95 percent of cases in healthcare workers, who were the most exposed to the virus and most likely to be routinely tested. That’s one dose. I don’t think these hidden cases in the fully vaccinated are anywhere near the concern some people in this thread think they are.

Because she is massively doom posting non-stop but still may go to Disneyland. I'm on ignore by her so hopefully she won't see this. Don't try to argue it is absolutely pointless.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Check the fine print there, it depends on your insurance. I did some research on this for a client and as far as I could tell you have to pay out of pocket unless you get a referral from a doctor.

Of course this all varies by state and insurer but I got the impression it’s fairly standard.

It probably depends a lot on location because my city is still running testing sites free of charge.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

That seems very odd, since HHS is still paying for testing of the uninsured and paying insurance companies to keep the out-of-pocket costs at $0, per the Families First Coronavirus Response Act.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Spinz posted:

Because she is massively doom posting non-stop but still may go to Disneyland. I'm on ignore by her so hopefully she won't see this. Don't try to argue it is absolutely pointless.

Disneyland is gross as gently caress

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
As long as we’re throwing random unsupported hypotheticals around, you’re probably more likely to get a post viral syndrome from something else other than covid once you’re vaccinated.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

E: What's happening is we have a vaccine that is very young and, though numbers look great early on, we're all seriously taking chances even if we're vaccinated because nobody is bothering to watch and see what happens to vaccinated people unless the breakthrough cases is so severe they're practically dying from it. I absolutely believe the vaccine is good and I sure as heck got it and encourage people to get it, but not following up on this stuff is poor medicine and poor research.

It's OK to be optimistic. :)

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

At select sites and pharmacies

I’m sure it varies state-by-state but in the Phoenix metro area I only found a couple free testing centers and they were way out in the boonies and not exactly a 24/7 thing

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I posted earlier in the thread about getting sick post-full vax, which turned out to be allergies. They've never been worse than mild sniffles and watery eyes, so it scared the poo poo out of me to where I did 2 home covid tests and a drive up just to make sure. At least the allergy meds fixed a breathing problem I had thought was anxiety, so that was nice.

Roman fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 16, 2021

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Saros posted:

Also Aus's local CSL vaccine was a bit of a disaster so they had to pivot to making Astrazeneca delaying things even further.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-55269381

Yikes, well done Stralya!

About the UK-AU travel / visa thing. It feels like UK government just wanted to have the green list populated with some names that aren't overseas territories, they threw Portugal under the bus like in 3 weeks.

The expanded visa and youth mobility (it was 25 iirc, 35 is quite a liberal term for "youth" lmao) visas is probably (?) some hare brained scheme about filling the gaps of Brexit with Australians. About that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9cP-1kC3So&t=53s

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Roman posted:

I posted earlier in the thread about getting sick post-full vax, which turned out to be allergies. They've never been worse than mild sniffles and watery eyes, so it scared the poo poo out of me to where I did 2 home covid tests and a drive up just to make sure. At least the allergy meds fixed a breathing problem I had thought was anxiety, so that was nice.

Good! What a relief are you better now?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You keep saying this kind of thing and ignoring that test positivity has gone way, way down. It’s around 2 percent for the whole US. It’s under half a percent in NY. If there were tons of asymptomatic cases running around the test positivity rate would be way higher. Same with vaccinated positives.

Except people aren't taking them. When you have far fewer tests, of course you'll see a lower positive percentile. Because fewer people are taking them. Like, we talked about this this time last year and everyone agreed. I don't know why y'all have decided because it's not trump that things have changed.

KakerMix posted:

It's OK to be optimistic. :)

Optimism is great, but essentially refusing to follow good research protocol sucks.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tests are still being taken regularly by people for their jobs, for travel, and before medical procedures. Positivity rate is a ratio and would still show trends even if the total number of tests is down.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Except people aren't taking them. When you have far fewer tests, of course you'll see a lower positive percentile. Because fewer people are taking them. Like, we talked about this this time last year and everyone agreed. I don't know why y'all have decided because it's not trump that things have changed.

How exactly does fewer people taking a test guarantee that a lower percentage will test positive?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Optimism is great, but essentially refusing to follow good research protocol sucks.

If anything far fewer tests should drive the positive percentage up, since people with symptoms are the most likely to take the test.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

People aren’t testing because people aren’t getting sick :shrug:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

gohuskies posted:

If anything far fewer tests should drive the positive percentage up, since people with symptoms are the most likely to take the test.
i'm taking about 10,000 tests daily; i'm vaccinated but you can never be too safe

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

gbs posters offering their consulting services to the CDC to help them maintain good research protocols

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I don't know why y'all have decided because it's not trump that things have changed..

I explained in detail why this isn't the case at all and you decided to ignore that and still keep posting it along with the Trump comparisons.

This subtle implication you keep making that other posters are like Trump is really loving lovely bad faith posting in my opinion.

There's tons of valid reasons to be pessimistic, but this stupid testing one you've made up is just completely wrong.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

This is a pretty dire misunderstanding of what the positivity rate means and what was being discussed last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

How many people have explained this to you in this thread alone? Trump was always talking about the actual, flat straight up number of positive tests, not the test positivity rate, which is what’s being discussed here and gives a good measure of these hidden cases you’re always talking about.