Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Biggus Duckus posted:

Whatever you can find in your size
Jamis Renegade
Kona Sutra/Rove
Surly Midnight Special
Salsa Journeyman

Reordered it slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I don't know what you're looking for exactly, but there are some extreme geometry differences between those bikes. The Midnight Special is rather aggressive, the Vaya is the most upright gravel bike I have ever seen.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TobinHatesYou posted:

The point is we don't really know if the bike's too small or if the fitter is bad.

If he's very tall, a competent fitter would have slapped a long 12deg or 17deg stem on there to give him a sane back angle...or outright told him to buy a new bike right nao.

If he doesn't have a 35-36in inseam, the saddle is too drat high.

Could have 35inch inseam and really long arms as well?

But yes I do have questions about it if thats not the case.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I am also very :wtc: at this side-by-side.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Just slam a -17 120mm stem on there and you can have one of those “it works for me…” Reddit fits

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Just slam a -17 120mm stem on there and you can have one of those “it works for me…” Reddit fits

This comedy stem is my go to solution to I’m 5ft 5 with a 33” inseam LOL (oh god help me no bike will ever fit me off the rack)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

learnincurve posted:

looks to me like the new post extends the top tube length
Did you mean seat tube? Effective top tube is measured off of the frame; doesn't matter where the saddle is.
Any frame with a seat tube slacker than 90 increase your reach to the bars as you raise the seat, but that doesn't change ETT.

quote:

so his problem was that the whole bike was a size or two too small
Could be, but fitter reduced reach while increasing leg length. Could have easily gone up a stem size without other issues

aj said that he couldn't raise the old post as high before it felt like his feet couldn't reach the pedals. This implies that
1) he could raise it higher physically, just not comfortably
2) if he could raise it as high as the new post, then something else was throwing his fit off

Let's say the bb-saddle distance along the seat tube is 31", going by tobin's estimated inseam length. Having a 1" offset only increases the effective bb-saddle distance by 0.1" -- it shouldn't affect that required leg distance much.

serious gaylord posted:

Could have 35inch inseam and really long arms as well?

But yes I do have questions about it if thats not the case.

If long arms, should have more reach to the bars. This would be if aj were super flexible and normal arms or short torso.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Okay this is lot of questions but I'll just say

The person I saw worked at the shop as their dedicated fitter (I think he also fixed bikes when there was not a fit appointment) and has done it a long time

I'm 6'1" and I have pretty long legs and arms. Reaching the pedals and handlebars is not an issue on this new fit. Maybe my bike is undersized a bit. It's a 55.

I never raised the previous saddle above 29" but I am just speculating based on how that felt that 31" would have been a bit awkward. But I can't say anything definitively.

Most importantly this new fit reduced a lot of pressure on my junk.

I'll report back once I take it for a ride.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 16, 2021

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I feel like the answer to this whole saga is 'rider is of non-typical proportions to some degree' which would explain the internet advice not working, the off the peg sizing not being appropriate and the new setup looking a bit weird to everyone. If it feels ok to ride then I don't think anyone can really fault it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’d be surprised if the fitter didn’t mention a 6’1” man on a 55 frame as being generally not correct though.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

I’d be surprised if the fitter didn’t mention a 6’1” man on a 55 frame as being generally not correct though.

6’1” with a “just under 33 inch” inseam is like the very edge of acceptable for a 56 frame according to cannondale (a 58 is also acceptable according to them). trek suggests a 58. So it’s likely he’s big for a 55.

Given the pics of the fit with the saddle way high in the air I’d say he’s clearly at the very edge of being too tall for the frame. If the aggressive angle is a problem he should consider a 35° or 45° stem to pop his handlebars up a bit and reduce the torso angle. (or buy a bigger bike)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Vando posted:

I feel like the answer to this whole saga is 'rider is of non-typical proportions to some degree' which would explain the internet advice not working, the off the peg sizing not being appropriate and the new setup looking a bit weird to everyone. If it feels ok to ride then I don't think anyone can really fault it.

yes, thank you!

the fitter did mention the stem could be increased a tad in height if needed

I should also mention that the reason I try going higher than 29" on the previous setup was that I felt nervous about being able to clip in quickly, which was easier with a lower height. However this was an issue because my cleats were a fit farther back than they should have been. After he moved them forward a bit last night, clipping in was much faster - basically the clips were exactly where my feet "expected" them to be.

I've measured my inseam at 33", but maybe it's actually a bit higher or lower - I was doing it myself so who knows how accurate it was.

Is it possible that a 55 on this bike is different than a 55 on another bike?

Here are the specs for mine

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Your bike is relatively tall in stack but short in reach for a 55.
It's a small bike.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

actionjackson posted:

Yes, absolutely, the numbered sizes on bikes these days mean basically nothing. You have to look at the geometry charts to compare.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bicievino posted:

Your bike is relatively tall in stack but short in reach for a 55.
It's a small bike.

It’s Masi’s CX bike from that era IIRC.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

actionjackson posted:

Here are the specs for mine

yeah 55 on one bike can be different than 55 on another bike

To get a comparison between brands you have to look at the geometry (and perhaps do some geometry if they don't have comparable measurements calculated for you). For instance, when I compared between a trek and a cannondale I ended up figuring out that cannondale's 61 frame is about the same size as trek's 62 (there was some difference in effective top tube length) even though cannondale says it can fit a way taller rider on the 61. Turns out cannondale just gives you a 400mm seatpost on the bike I was looking at (trek gives a 330mm) and uses that to justify a fit for a larger rider.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

It’s Masi’s CX bike from that era IIRC.

yep, sorry I should have mentioned that

http://www.bikeroar.com/products/masi/cxr-expert-alloy-2018/specs

As I recall when looking at this bike, my super knowledgeable bike friend was the one that recommended 55 vs. 57.

Maybe if I get REALLY into biking at some point in a few years I'll get a different bike that perhaps has a bit better geometry for me, but this is what I have for now so I'll make it work the best I can.

edit: if anyone else here happens to be in the twin cities or is familiar, I went to lowertown bike shop in st paul

http://www.lowertownbikeshop.com/

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 16, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I've measured my inseam at 33", but maybe it's actually a bit higher or lower - I was doing it myself so who knows how accurate it was.

A fitter should provide you with some body measurements, or at the very least a sheet with your fit settings so you can take it to another bike.
Did they not measure your inseam for you?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Ride that bike OP. If it's not more comfortable, definitely go back to the fitter, being aware that they are doing their best with an undersized frame.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I get neck pain about 2.5 hours in. Is that a fit issue or just results of being on a bike for 2.5 hours?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

actionjackson posted:

Okay this is lot of questions but I'll just say

The person I saw worked at the shop as their dedicated fitter (I think he also fixed bikes when there was not a fit appointment) and has done it a long time

I'm 6'1" and I have pretty long legs and arms. Reaching the pedals and handlebars is not an issue on this new fit. Maybe my bike is undersized a bit. It's a 55.

I never raised the previous saddle above 29" but I am just speculating based on how that felt that 31" would have been a bit awkward. But I can't say anything definitively.

Most importantly this new fit reduced a lot of pressure on my junk.

I'll report back once I take it for a ride.

Your bike might be a bit small for you but go ride it and see if it works. If it doesn't, most fitters I think have some kind of "come back and we'll tweak more things" policy

I think you might be getting a tad hung up on numbers (29"! no, 31.5!) and ultimately you just need to get it good enough that you can ride without immediate issue and tweak it from there

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

A fitter should provide you with some body measurements, or at the very least a sheet with your fit settings so you can take it to another bike.
Did they not measure your inseam for you?

I don't think so (I didn't think to ask), I can definitely go back in sometime and ask though (or I could just take my bike pretty much anywhere I suppose).

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

The bike looks fine to me, the drop looks bigger than it is because of the positive stem. I wasn't measured by my fitter because % of inseam is largely bullshit and things like knee angle when riding is more important.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

The bike looks fine to me, the drop looks bigger than it is because of the positive stem. I wasn't measured by my fitter because % of inseam is largely bullshit and things like knee angle when riding is more important.

:same:
I don't think I've ever had my inseam measured in the context of bikes, only trousers.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m guessing you both have 28” inseams lol.

Us 33ers are painfully aware and have done the book thing repeatedly while trying to convince ourselves that the bike we found cheap will fit without “farting around too much” as my dear old Nan would say.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

learnincurve posted:

I’m guessing you both have 28” inseams lol.

Us 33ers are painfully aware and have done the book thing repeatedly while trying to convince ourselves that the bike we found cheap will fit without “farting around too much” as my dear old Nan would say.

I mean, everyone's body is different

I'll ride this for a while, see how it goes, I'd only get a new bike as an absolute last resort as otherwise I think it's pretty wasteful

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

% of inseam is largely bullshit and things like knee angle when riding is more important.

It's reductive but it's not bullshit. You could use a formula to predict knee angles if you have femur and lower leg lengths (and maybe hip width). Some percentage of inseam is a starting point, and I'm sure some fitters don't need it because they've built up an eye for appropriate sizings.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

actionjackson posted:

I mean, everyone's body is different

I'll ride this for a while, see how it goes, I'd only get a new bike as an absolute last resort as otherwise I think it's pretty wasteful

Oh don’t worry about how your bike looks after a fit at all, if it fits you sits :)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
kinda thankful that I'm so tall I just go with the biggest frame size available

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

actionjackson posted:

As I recall when looking at this bike, my super knowledgeable bike friend was the one that recommended 55 vs. 57.

Sever your connection to this super knowledgable bike friend. Long legs, short torso does typically mean choosing the smaller size, but in this case it would have been a choice between 57/58cm or 59/60cm.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I will say that now that Masi is dead (rip), Argon 18 is definitely my favorite brand based solely on appearance (which is all that matters)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I will say that now that Masi is dead (rip), Argon 18 is definitely my favorite brand based solely on appearance (which is all that matters)

Truly now you are embracing Bike Design within Reach.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Agreed on incorrect initial sizing.

In terms of neck pain at 2.5 hours, it could either be a fit issue or strength issue. I'd do some planks for a consistent amount of time and see what happens.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

FogHelmut posted:

I get neck pain about 2.5 hours in. Is that a fit issue or just results of being on a bike for 2.5 hours?

Are you new to bike riding? If so yes its just an effect of being on the bike for that long.

If you regularly do 2.5 hour rides and have no other spine/neck issues I would suggest you're in too aggressive a position so you're having to tilt your head back too far while riding to look ahead. Add a spacer under your stem and see if it goes away.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I get some neck pain when solo riding that completely goes away when group riding just because I'm moving around a bit more. Either from chatting to the person along side or pointing out hazards

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

56 with a 120 mm stem and tons of post crew :cool:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I just ordered a 110mm -12 stem because my Venge came with a 100mm -6 and they don’t make the -12 in 100mm for some bizarre reason

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

Sever your connection to this super knowledgable bike friend.

will do man thanks for the help

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

numberoneposter posted:

56 with a 120 mm stem and tons of post crew :cool:

56 with a 120 mm stem and almost no post crew #corgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

jalfp posted:

Bike novice here—hoping you all might be able to offer some perspective on picking out a first bike. I've read the OP and poked around a bit here and elsewhere on the web (mostly reading reviews of specific bikes, most of which flies over my head) but thought I should seek out the opinions of enthusiasts who aren't trying to sell me anything.

I'm new (again) to biking—haven't owned in twenty years—and hoping to find something that'll serve my immediate purposes but also could satisfy some more aspirational desires. Those immediate purposes are just getting around town for practical/recreational purposes; I live in Portland, so I'd like something that's year-round and serviceable on the lovely pavement you run into on half the city's streets. But I like the idea of more extended recreational cycling, whether that's within city limits or out on one or another scenic byway or pretty country road. More aspirationally, the backpacker in me is attracted to the possibility of multiday touring or bikepacking. I've also poked my nose into the gravel thread, and that too sounds nice. I'm not sure if it's realistic to try to get a bike that'll do all that. (More extreme stuff like racing, cyclocross, serious fat-tire mountain biking, etc., aren't really on my radar.) The gear junkie in me likes good stuff that'll last a long time—I don't want to spend a few hundred bucks today and decide before long that I want to spend more on a second bike that'll do more and cooler stuff than the entry-level ride can handle.

Based on what I've read and some conversations with my long-time cyclist housemate, a steel-frame touring bike that I can mount panniers/saddlebags on sounds like it'd best serve my real and immediate needs for around town and out on the open road. Even better if it could accommodate wider tires for slightly rougher, sometimes unpaved road. The idea of gravel is under my skin, but I think that's just marketing doing it's thing and making me imagine doing stuff I'm not likely to do.

That's about all I know—there's plenty I don't know, and plenty more that I don't know I don't know. I'm 6' and imagine a 56–60cm seat tube is about the right size; something with drop bars and disc brakes sounds attractive. Most bike shops seem pretty picked over, and new bikes are spendy, so I've been keeping my eye on Craigslist, usually searching for something below $500, but the pickings there seem slim too. I went up to $1000 and found something like this https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/d/portland-16-kona-roadhouse/7312009492.html, but I'm not qualified to tell if it's a good deal (seems like it, but I'm an ignoramus).

Besides cooling my jets and not shopping before I know what I'm shopping for, what else should I be thinking about as I try to buy a first bike (and to buy a used one off Craigslist, in particular)?

I'm morbidly curious -- did you ever get this, OP?