Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Agreed posted:

I mean the Oxygen Pro 49 from M-Audio that I just unplugged to ship it back had among it's pros a very sturdy feeling USB-B plug. May disappoint elsewhere.

Sturdy enclosures has always been a major selling point for a lot of M-Audio gear. Too bad about their driver support, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

If you put usbc on my midi controller I will physically manifest in your house and make you solder in a new port when it inevitably gets broken

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

brand engager posted:

If you put usbc on my midi controller I will physically manifest in your house and make you solder in a new port when it inevitably gets broken

The specification talks about that, the ports need to handle some specific wrenching force to get certified. The cables are supposed to break before the port as well. I assume usb-a and usb-b did that too but I'm not gonna dig up the spec sheet to compare differences.

I have no doubt that the wrench threshold is not enough to deal with us humans being idiots or vendors cheating the tests but if you take the usb group's words at face value, this is not a problem! :v:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

petit choux posted:

kudos for using bitwig, haven't heard that word for a while.

It's so good, it's a shame that adoption has been so slow. I actually bought Ableton Suite about a year ago when it was on sale but I still haven't really gotten into it because I like Bitwig's workflow so much. I'm pretty sure there's nothing Bitwig can do that Ableton can't, but the workflow for modulators, operators (new), and MPE is just so intuitive and seamless. At some point I do need to force myself to sit down with some tutorials and really get used to Ableton, though, because it's kinda the industry standard and it's just sitting there mocking me for having bought it.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
license transfers are p. painless tho

but yeah m4l devices feel clunky compared to the grid and the modulators

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
usbc has been out for almost 7 years and I have yet to see a single device that has one

that poo poo was doa because people are we dont need another loving usb port, we're still learning how to plug in the other 4 the correct way

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I want to return to serial connections that screw into the thing you're plugging the cable in to

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Philthy posted:

usbc has been out for almost 7 years and I have yet to see a single device that has one

that poo poo was doa because people are we dont need another loving usb port, we're still learning how to plug in the other 4 the correct way

Android phones and that's about it in my experience

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

the new apple laptops have been usb c for a bit. so now i have even more dongles

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Apparently we can add Moog to the list of lovely companies.

quote:

Eventually Brandon would start making comments to Green on behalf of management. After an overseas trip with Stryffeler in August 2019, Brandon stated that he and Valente discussed her “future at Moog.”

What followedEventually Brandon would start making comments to Green on behalf of management. After an overseas trip with Stryffeler in August 2019, Brandon stated that he and Valente discussed her “future at Moog.”

What followed, Green remembers, was a torrent of misogyny. Brandon told her that management “weren’t sure that you can be on a plane for five hours, find your way around a new city, and get to your hotel” “and if you have a nightmare or something, you can’t just not show up for your meeting that day or call and put it off”

There was more. Brandon continued that “what happens if one of these guys (the distributors) is an rear end in a top hat to you and you have a panic attack? You can’t just freak out!” and “can you even travel? I mean you have kids and a family. Did you ever think about that?”

Green reported, in person and in writing, these statements to the “Workplace Experience Department.” No action was taken.

The lawsuit alleges that, unhindered in his escalating abuse, the next month Brandon would verbally and physically assault Green at a work event, “MOOG Pro.”

god drat it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
lmao literally no corporation nor company is your friend

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

it’s just ironic considering their recent marketing has involved ~*lifting up female creator’s voices*~ which don’t get me wrong is a noble thing to do but not if you treat women behind closed doors like this

basically

Ok Comboomer posted:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

:hmmyes:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Well poo poo. That's not a good thing at all. Still holding out hope for Bastl and Buchla, though.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Ok Comboomer posted:

Digitakt OS 1.30 Released

https://www.elektronauts.com/news/553?fbclid=IwAR3h9NVR_AbEH8JJ_wB0NqS0L_FBEvlVj3EYNAaRYT3JRGQJHAN6QyX_tD8

quote:

The Digitakt has a new OS to play with, and it’s a proper whopper of an upgrade! We’ve added a plethora of powerful sound-shaping tools as part of a major leveling-up. Let the machine take you to strange new worlds and exciting possibilities.

Second LFO
The Digitakt now has double the LFO power at your fingertips. The second LFO gives you even more modulation possibilities, opening up a bonus parameter to modulate. It also includes the ability to control the first LFO with the second. Get ready to modulate the modulation.

Extended Pitch Range
With the Digitakt’s extended pitch powers, you can unlock previously unheard soundscapes within your sample. You can now dive three extra octaves down for tune-melting, bass-rumbling possibilities. Visit the dark side of the moon.

External Input Mixer
The Digitakt now has an external input mixer for mastery of incoming audio. Process your sound in stereo or split the mix and dual wield in two mono channels. Send through the reverb and delay, then add some extra side-chain ducking action with the master compressor. Mix-tastic!

Improved Multimode Filter
The Digitakt’s Multimode filter now has an even larger sound-shaping toolbox to work with. Emphasize different parts of your sound and find that sweet spot with a new EQ-style filter type. We also added an Envelope Delay to give extra focus to the transient of your kick or add a beautiful swelling effect to your pads. Wield the wave your way.

Base-width Filter
Much requested from its Digi sibling, a Base-width filter has been added to the Digitakt. This additional filter gives you more control when it comes to finding space for your sounds, working in tandem with the Multimode filter. You can also access it via LFO destination to unlock even more modulation potential.

And much more
There is also the addition of multi-track step recording, global FX/mix, individual track resampling, GUI improvements, performance improvements, and plenty more. For a full list of new features, improvements, and bug fixes - check the release notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsQVq799K4I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60p08z_dlKA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUmDV21oLsY

Philthy fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 16, 2021

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Digitakt Keys when

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Stereo monitoring and being able to layer effects on each input into their own stereo mix is.... awesome. My MPC Live II can do this already, but I chain my 'Takt to my MPC and it's like.. OMG

watho
Aug 2, 2013

a second LFO is pretty huge i’ve gotta say. i still don’t think i could put that money into a sampler without slicing but it’s getting more tempting

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
drat -- I was excited just at the second LFO part. All the rest of that sounds great as well.

Time to re-learn how to update my os.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Ricky Tinez video in 4…3…2…

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

watho posted:

a second LFO is pretty huge i’ve gotta say. i still don’t think i could put that money into a sampler without slicing but it’s getting more tempting

Yeah needs slicing

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Tayter Swift posted:

god drat it

Goddammit Moog. Same poo poo (weaponizing things told in confidence, casual and targeted misogyny, management creating new management positions for problematic dudes, old-boys-club bullshit, fake diversity) happens at Sweetwater, and most of the women there who get tired of it end up just leaving, because Fort Wayne sucks poo poo besides.

But loving Moog? C'mon, y'all.

Incidentally, HR is 100% not your friend, and I get tired of telling people this. If you have a problem do NOT go to HR. Take it to a manager and if they don't do anything, start documenting everything and look for a new job.

Double incidentally, apparently I'm in the same circles as the EIC of the Asheville Blade (a somewhat unfortunate title given the nature of the story.) Small world.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Wait the digitakt doesn’t have slicing? Do you just trim samples and copy paste them?

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

god drat it

Very sad to hear this. Same time I have no problem not buying anything from them ever again, plenty of other great synth makers out there, and also Behringer. gently caress 'em all to death.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Philthy posted:

The new MOTU Ultralite (mk5) is finally USB-C. Some iPads are using C now too (Pros and the latest Air I believe), so we might be seeing more C adoption in the audio interface world. Having an interface that can be used for an iPad an computer w/ the same cable does sound appealing.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

A MIRACLE posted:

Wait the digitakt doesn’t have slicing? Do you just trim samples and copy paste them?

You can kind of slice. You can do the normal trimming of a sample with Start/End points and cut. You can also set start end points on a sample in multiple spots, so you are essentially playing slices of a sample and assign those to keys. You can go even further and do parameter locks of start/end points of the sample for every step in a sequence. Which nothing else does AFAIK. It just doesn't do like the MPC where it auto slices, and then you can export each slice as it's own sample. It's not really a deal breaker for anything I do, personally.

An example. You have a 30 second long sample that contains kick, snare, hihat. You can assign it to voice #1, and set the start end at 0 and 10 seconds for just the kick. Then on voice #2 you can set the same sample with start/end of 10 and 20 for snare, and finally voice #3 you set the same sample to use start/end for 20 and 30. You have 3 voices assigned to different keys with their own sequence available. You could chop those out and save them individually, up to you. Since the Digitakt only allows 8 voices, you can start cheating. You can take that sample, put it on voice 1, and say you want your kick on steps 8 and 16, so you turn on steps 8 and 16, then you set the start/end for those at 0 and 10 seconds so you only get the kick sound. Now you want snares on steps 4 and 12 so you turn on steps 4 and 12, then set the start/end to 10 and 20 so you just get the snare part of the sample playing on those steps. It can get crazy, and you can cut other samples if they overlap, but people have used this technique to make crazy drum and bass stuff by taking advantage of the cutoffs from sample overlap. There are a few youtubers who take this to the next level and its nuts.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 16, 2021

watho
Aug 2, 2013

oh yeah from what i’ve seen and heard it’s an extremely competent machine but i do way too much breakbeat stuff so no slicing is kind of a dealbreaker for me personally

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Philthy posted:

You can kind of slice. You can do the normal trimming of a sample with Start/End points and cut. You can also set start end points on a sample in multiple spots, so you are essentially playing slices of a sample and assign those to keys. You can go even further and do parameter locks of start/end points of the sample for every step in a sequence. Which nothing else does AFAIK. It just doesn't do like the MPC where it auto slices, and then you can export each slice as it's own sample. It's not really a deal breaker for anything I do, personally.

An example. You have a 30 second long sample that contains kick, snare, hihat. You can assign it to sound #1, and set the start end at 0 and 10 seconds for just the kick. Then on sound #2 you can set the same sample with start/end of 10 and 20 for snare, and finally sound #3 you set the same sample to use start/end for 20 and 30. You have 3 sounds assigned to different keys with their own sequence available. You could chop those out and save them individually, up to you. Since the Digitakt only allows 8 sounds, you can start cheating. You can take that sample, put it on sound 1, and say you want your kick on steps 8 and 16, so you turn on steps 8 and 16, then you set the start/end for those at 0 and 10 seconds so you only get the kick sound. Now you want snares on steps 4 and 12 so you turn on steps 4 and 12, then set the start/end to 10 and 20 so you just get the snare part of the same playing on those steps. It can get crazy, and you can cut other samples if they overlap, but people have used this technique to make crazy drum and bass stuff. There are a few youtubers who take this to the next level and its nuts.

ah gotcha. I never had much luck with the auto slice on the octatrack (probably because I'm always ripping dirty vinyl) and did all my slice points by hand, this doesn't sound too different.

the auto slice on my Erica sample drum is pretty magical however. I get wacky results with it but its always very musical

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, the Digitakt is it's own thing. I would categorize it as a sample-based instrument. Period. I wouldn't call it a sampler nor a drum machine, because it does both of those at a very basic level. What it does beyond that is the meat of the machine, and it's truly its own instrument with one of the biggest toolboxes of crazy manipulations I've ever seen. A lot of Elektron's devices are like that, you can't take them at face value.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Splinter posted:

The new MOTU Ultralite (mk5) is finally USB-C. Some iPads are using C now too (Pros and the latest Air I believe), so we might be seeing more C adoption in the audio interface world. Having an interface that can be used for an iPad an computer w/ the same cable does sound appealing.

The AUDIO4c has two usb-c ports on the back for connecting to both iOS stuff and desktops. So it's already happening!

It also has a usb-a port for connecting midi controllers.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
New Digitakt upgrades rule, now I’m sort of glad I didn’t get the Octatrack mki instead! I literally said something like, I just wish it had more than one LFO and a mixer for the USB and stereo inputs
and a filter more like the Digitone’s.

Updating now!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

B33rChiller posted:

Well poo poo. That's not a good thing at all. Still holding out hope for Bastl and Buchla, though.

I have it on good authority that don buchla was a real rear end

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Changed my mind about the Crave. Sent it back and got a Sy 300 instead.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

They added a chord mode to the E352. This thing does so much.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

That looks cool

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Tayter Swift posted:

god drat it

Of course the MW thread about it is already devolving into a misogynist sewer.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Oldstench posted:

MW being misogynists? why i never

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
The AHML devolved by like post 4 on the subject. Just ugh.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Oldstench posted:

Our hobby is toxic as gently caress, sorry :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Tayter Swift posted:

Our hobby civilization is toxic as gently caress, sorry :(