Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Far Cry 2 is literally the best far cry. dumbass

I mean, yeah. That was my point. I was cursed by a bad opinion warlock to defend its honor in the face of good game BotW.

Christ what a start of a page, huh. So how about that Metroid Dread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

BotW is quite literally one of the greatest games ever made

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It's more that 99% of the posters in this thread seem to be experiencing anhedonia

agreed the people who need a mechanic to tell them "using other stuff is fun" have some serious issues

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Showing up to the open world scene two decades late and offering mostly empty fields and some mountains. 10/10 GOTY

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

now. time to talk about why kenshi should be ported to switch and how it accomplishes everything botw wishes it could

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Please stop slapfighting over weapon durability, I understand we all have thoughts on it but it doesn't need to consume this entire thread for several pages at a time.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted:

BotW is quite literally one of the greatest games ever made

Co-sign

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Harrow posted:

Please stop slapfighting over weapon durability, I understand we all have thoughts on it but it doesn't need to consume this entire thread for several pages at a time.

agree to disagree

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tell you what, I'll make a "BotW Weapon Durability Argument Battle Arena" thread for you all to engage in bloody combat in, but on the condition that you have to break your keyboard every 10 posts

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

my keyboard is too powerful to be broken and has hotswappable switches anyway

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Pablo Nergigante posted:

BotW is quite literally the greatest game ever made

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BOTW's in the top 50% of games made easy

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

RBA Starblade posted:

BOTW's in the top 50% of games made easy

Yeah that's probably true.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Harrow posted:

Tell you what, I'll make a "BotW Weapon Durability Argument Battle Arena" thread for you all to engage in bloody combat in, but on the condition that you have to break your keyboard every 10 posts

do this but anyone that posts in it can be randomly probated with a 6er

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

do this but anyone that posts in it can be randomly probated with a 6er

"Weapon broke while slaying posting enemies. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours."

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

lmao I ended up pre-ordering the amiibo through Amazon Japan with a game bundled in since my partner wanted a copy of the game anyways, guess he's getting a japanese one now lol

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Zurtilik posted:

Imagine talking this much about Breath of the Wild when Legend of Mana comes out in 8 days.

I briefly misread this as "Legend of Midna," and now I'm picturing a game where Midna just runs around pranking the residents of Hyrule and being snarky to everyone.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Breath of the wild is one of the greatest pieces of art ever made

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Harrow posted:

"Weapon broke while slaying posting enemies. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours."

the probe should automatically fire when they post in the thread a certain number of times, but the last person they replied to also gets probed

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Zurtilik posted:

Showing up to the open world scene two decades late and offering mostly empty fields and some mountains. 10/10 GOTY

This! I guess it's fine if this is your first open world game, which, if you've probably not experienced if you're locked to only the nintendo ecosystem. How many other open world games has been on nintendo platforms? Other than XCX. Having a hard time thinking of any that were out before that. Wind waker and Twilight princess have large maps but IDK if I'd quantify them as "open world" like oblivion or just cause 2 or w/e. also most of wind waker's world is water

TVs Ian posted:

I briefly misread this as "Legend of Midna," and now I'm picturing a game where Midna just runs around pranking the residents of Hyrule and being snarky to everyone.

I would play that! I miss Wind Waker, wish there was an HD version :(

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Nintendo isn't working on a Switch Pro. Most likely the rumors are for a brand new Nintendo console.

If dev kits go out next year and the Nintendo Lever comes out in 2023 that would be a respectable 6 year lifespan for the switch, which is about as much as any Nintendo console ever gets. Would maybe even sidestep the current supply chain shortage.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Guys can we instead talk about how amazing the Advance Wars 1 and 2 remake looks instead? It's a board game y'all! What an amazing design decision! Please everyone buy it so Nintendo makes more of them.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
gotta say the Switch is probably my favorite console period. being able to play full console games on the couch while my partner watches TV is a small thing but it's so much more pleasant than being relegated to the basement. if Nintendo keeps the mobile element and continues to support indies then they'll have my money

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

we can all agree: the s witch pwns

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

GreenBuckanneer posted:

This! I guess it's fine if this is your first open world game, which, if you've probably not experienced if you're locked to only the nintendo ecosystem.

Lol Nintendo fans who say things like this are just as weird as those who insist on defending Miyamoto's honour, right?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Lol Nintendo fans who say things like this are just as weird as those who insist on defending Miyamoto's honour, right?

hope he sees this bro

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kirios posted:

Guys can we instead talk about how amazing the Advance Wars 1 and 2 remake looks instead? It's a board game y'all! What an amazing design decision! Please everyone buy it so Nintendo makes more of them.

I do enjoy when video games take on the aesthetic of a board game; it added a lot to Hitman Go, for instance

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't think inexperience with open world games is what explains people thinking Breath of the Wild is an especially good one. I know I've played a shitload of open world games, to the point that I'm largely uninterested in playing more of them, and I still played through BotW the whole way twice and loved it both times.

I'm not fluent enough in game design to be able to put my finger on exactly what works about it, but it's one of the very few open worlds where I felt like just going out and running around and exploring. Maybe it's that the movement felt good, or there's some subtleties to the world design that kept pulling me along, or what. It's not like there's a huge variety of things to find--you'll find bokoblin camps, koroks, shrines, or sometimes an environmental puzzle that leads to a shrine--but something about the way it was all laid out and paced just made it feel really fun to explore for me.

I won't write an essay here that nobody wants to read. I've written a ton about what I think was wrong with the game (combat balance is all hosed up, lack of weapon variety prevents the durability system from really shining, etc.) but for me it's maybe the definition of a game that is wildly greater than the sum of its parts.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The joy in open world is in finding things and the worst sin they can commit is putting a map marker somewhere you haven't been yet so BotW beats out every ubisoft open world by that alone

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Stux posted:

agreed the people who need a mechanic to tell them "using other stuff is fun" have some serious issues

Maybe BOTW2 also has a "I'm too young to die" difficulty for you to enjoy it as much as Doom: Eternal.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah the one thing I can very much point out as a success in BotW is that it has a very simple change to the Ubisoft tower: you place the map markers yourself. You climb a tower to actually, personally, get a better view of your surroundings, then use a magic telescope to place map markers on things that look interesting from up high.

Is it functionally a similar result? Yeah, sure. You climb a tower and the result is that there are markers on the map showing you things to go check out. But I think making the player do it manually, in the context of being up high and being able to see all the terrain around you, is just enough of a twist to make it feel a lot more engaging.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

cheetah7071 posted:

The joy in open world is in finding things and the worst sin they can commit is putting a map marker somewhere you haven't been yet so BotW beats out every ubisoft open world by that alone

There's times and places for having them or not; I appreciate a game just saying "there's something of worth here look around" and not wasting my time

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Harrow posted:

I don't think inexperience with open world games is what explains people thinking Breath of the Wild is an especially good one

the opposite is true, playing a bunch of identikit open world games means going to BotW was a huge breath of fresh air pun intended

RBA Starblade posted:

There's times and places for having them or not; I appreciate a game just saying "there's something of worth here look around" and not wasting my time

if the player feels exploration is a reward in and of itself then it isn't a waste of time

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

tuo posted:

Maybe BOTW2 also has a "I'm too young to die" difficulty for you to enjoy it as much as Doom: Eternal.

stfu noob

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

Stux posted:

hope he sees this bro

He's my uncle at Nintendo.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Stux posted:

stfu noob

Then I understand your problem with ressource management even less

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Metroid owns. Love Metroid. All hail Metroid. Is there a Metroid thread?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oscar Wild posted:

https://twitter.com/FanbyteMedia/status/1404902593952768003?s=19

Click bait article. I'm sure it had a very rational, well formed opinion that cuts against the general consensus. If I bothered to click and read.

I'm not going to read it because I agree with the title.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

tuo posted:

Then I understand your problem with ressource management even less

your mind is too small to understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If this argument is still going on when I get back from my work meeting I'm making the weapon durability argument thread, the Switch thread has been through enough this E3