Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Dirk Pitt posted:

I still don’t understand why there weren’t multiple red cards or why the scuffle happened. Ref must be weak.

And can we please stop with the all purpose venues?

- welsh player gets caught by a flailing arm, goes down
- turkish player goes over to him and gives him a "pat" on the face to stop timewasting
- gently caress off you turkish prick
- no you gently caress off welsh twat
- repeat to taste

ref was probably right to give everyone a yellow and be done with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 17, 2021

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

pik_d posted:

I don't think he's eligible to play for England anymore

out of curiosity, what sort of arcane medieval bullshit determines this? or is it just current residence?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Splorange posted:

out of curiosity, what sort of arcane medieval bullshit determines this? or is it just current residence?

its based on whether or not your grandparents came from the old country

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Splorange posted:

once you've chosen and played a certain amount of games (I think it's one at the top level?) you're set as a national team player from that country, barring exceptional circumstances (the creation of a state, i.e. Kosovo)

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Splorange posted:

Once you’re capped, you’re capped. It’s not that arcane.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Splorange posted:

Cup tied

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

Looke posted:

sucks to be him then, cos it's coming home

lol

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Dirk Pitt posted:

Once you’re capped, you’re capped. It’s not that arcane.

Sandwolf posted:

once you've chosen and played a certain amount of games (I think it's one at the top level?) you're set as a national team player from that country, barring exceptional circumstances (the creation of a state, i.e. Kosovo)

I was referring to this, he's played over 90 times for Wales

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Butterfly Valley posted:

sounds like that norwegian commentator

abidin dino, hamit altintop, that weightlifter who was basically a dwarf

your boys took a hell of a beating

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ITS loving TIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF0lH9Ay-gg

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Splorange posted:

It’s arcane bullshit alright, and keeps getting changed because someone at FIFA gets mad about Russia/Qatar/USA/wherever starting teams of 11 Brazilians/Germans/whatever because they couldn’t find any football players at home

Currently: You can switch nationality from nation A to nation B if you or one of your parents/grandparents were born in the territory of B, or if you have lived in B for at least five years, as long as you have never played a competitive senior international match for A. If you played for A but it was only friendlies, you can still switch.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

vyelkin posted:

the more authoritarian you get the worse your country is at football

thats why turkey, russia, china, england, and the united states are all bad

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

skasion posted:

It’s arcane bullshit alright, and keeps getting changed because someone at FIFA gets mad about Russia/Qatar/USA/wherever starting teams of 11 Brazilians/Germans/whatever because they couldn’t find any football players at home

lol what in the world are you on about?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Splorange posted:

legit answer (if he hadn't played for wales):

country of birth
country of (any) parent's/grandparent's birth
has lived there for five years or more as an adult*

*the UK teams agree to ignore this one as a handshake deal so that it doesn't get super fucky

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity
In the future, if everyone is authoritarian, one of those authoritarians has to win, unless a war interrupts the event or something

E: Also brazil under Jair Messias hasn't gotten worse I believe which is a strike against this theory.

Brazil football, not Brazil country, which has.

Porrima fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 16, 2021

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

FullLeatherJacket posted:

legit answer (if he hadn't played for wales):

country of birth
country of (any) parent's/grandparent's birth
has lived there for five years or more as an adult*

*the UK teams agree to ignore this one as a handshake deal so that it doesn't get super fucky

Yeah, I was aiming for the UK angle. Thanks for this.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

lol what in the world are you on about?

tbf Qatar did that - the five year rule used to be two, and before that was just citizenship, but Qatar then decided to offer a bunch of b-tier Brazilians money to become Qataris and for a bunch of Kenyans to run for them in the Olympics

the US didn't do that, they just had their best striker declare for Italy as a troll and were super salty about it for yeaaaars, it was top fun

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

also I'm not sure anyone is raging that hard about the Brazilian playing for Russia

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Cubism is back in fashion baby

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
They should make it so after you get 100 caps you can pick a second team.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

*drags out a dusty coffer*

Let's see, Swiss jokes... gently caress me, this is going to take some effort.. I mean there's the low hanging fruit, banking, nazi gold... I dunno seem a lost cause - let's see what I've got on those spaghetti eating, mom loving, mafioso bastards instead

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

it's coming home (to wales)! one dragon on the shirt!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

weren't Turkey meant to be one of the dark horses for the whole thing? because lol

some of the best turkish players are german, and also emre can is there

Portland
May 5, 2021
Ive got my Peroni and I am ready! Rooting for you lads!

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

They'll be dancing in the streets of *checks notes* ...Llanfairfechan tonight?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Moktaro posted:

They'll be dancing in the streets of *checks notes* ...Llanfairfechan tonight?

Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
My Italy analysis:

Insigne: tiny and quite poo poo
Immobile: good
Chiellini: cool

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

vyelkin posted:

Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

Nothing, what's Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch with you

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
2 easy

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Xabi posted:

My Italy analysis:

Insigne: tiny and quite poo poo
Immobile: good
Chiellini: cool

today, you are one of us

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sandwolf posted:

Nothing, what's Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch with you

did you know steve jobs died of Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Shaqiri juicing up!!!!

Nice traps

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

vyelkin posted:

did you know steve jobs died of Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch on my nuts!!!

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Crazy to see how deliberately it bypasses Armenia

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Ffs the week I took out Ramsey

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Sandwolf posted:

today, you are one of us

PORCO DIO

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

If you say Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch thirteen times in a mirror, your spouse calls the ambulance in case you had a stroke.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
The country of pasta vs the country of cheese, this could be a delicious match folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

HOPP SCHWIIZ!!!