Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Biowarfare posted:

i was going to make a comment about staying extremely up to date every time a new release appears with any web based php application but then i remember the amount of companies using java 6 to 8

I absolutely agree but I think we all understand that security updates for internal websites tend to get "forgotten."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Internet Explorer posted:

What's better than Confluence?

Bookstack, docuwiki, wiki.js

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004
AWS is pissing me off. I can’t remember a more drawn out on boarding process. I work for a state university; state rules prevent us from using a p-card for automatic/recurring charges. So, we are supposed to initiate the AWS account sign-up, but bail when prompted for cc info(which surprisingly still creates the account) and the account is supposed to be switched to invoicing by our AWS rep after the PO is submitted(acct id is included on the PO for linking to the institutional contract). It’s been two weeks since the PO was issued and my account still isn’t fully activated. The most info our rep has provided is that they don’t know what’s wrong, but are investigating. Admittedly this is my first foray with AWS professionally, but this seems ridiculous. I can perform some admin actions, like creating IAM users(and groups as long as I do so from the IAM user creation interface/trying to access the group interface directly results in being redirected to a notice to complete the account details, ie provide a cc). Trying to access any service interfaces results in the same. I don’t even want to use AWS, I’m just responsible for setting up this project and monitoring the usage for cost-control.

Even more frustrating is that the project is just going to use ec2 instances for machine learning(they did originally consider sagemaker, but were talked out of it by our technical rep) - my institution maintains a huge computing cluster, free to use in most cases, and supports ML. So I’m babysitting a completely unnecessary procurement that does nothing for me except give me administrative headaches, all for a potential spend of $115/month. The PI hired two grad students for this project two months ago on a three month contract. The front end developer doesn’t seem to understand that they don’t need to wait on a DNS entry, or even AWS at all to proceed with design work.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ihafarm posted:

AWS is pissing me off. I can’t remember a more drawn out on boarding process. I work for a state university; state rules prevent us from using a p-card for automatic/recurring charges. So, we are supposed to initiate the AWS account sign-up, but bail when prompted for cc info(which surprisingly still creates the account) and the account is supposed to be switched to invoicing by our AWS rep after the PO is submitted(acct id is included on the PO for linking to the institutional contract). It’s been two weeks since the PO was issued and my account still isn’t fully activated. The most info our rep has provided is that they don’t know what’s wrong, but are investigating. Admittedly this is my first foray with AWS professionally, but this seems ridiculous. I can perform some admin actions, like creating IAM users(and groups as long as I do so from the IAM user creation interface/trying to access the group interface directly results in being redirected to a notice to complete the account details, ie provide a cc). Trying to access any service interfaces results in the same. I don’t even want to use AWS, I’m just responsible for setting up this project and monitoring the usage for cost-control.

Even more frustrating is that the project is just going to use ec2 instances for machine learning(they did originally consider sagemaker, but were talked out of it by our technical rep) - my institution maintains a huge computing cluster, free to use in most cases, and supports ML. So I’m babysitting a completely unnecessary procurement that does nothing for me except give me administrative headaches, all for a potential spend of $115/month. The PI hired two grad students for this project two months ago on a three month contract. The front end developer doesn’t seem to understand that they don’t need to wait on a DNS entry, or even AWS at all to proceed with design work.

I feel like the AWS part is done just so the grads can publish a paper with the words “ON AWS” to differentiate from the thousand of ML papers that pops out daily. The issue is not availability of equivalent ML on site in your compute cluster, the issue is being unique enough to be worth investing time to publish.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

xzzy posted:

Updating mediawiki sucks

Everything about MediaWiki sucks.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
If it's all engineering, try a Vuepress site built in CI upon any committed markdown changes.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

MF_James posted:

Oh hey, I have quite a few clients like this, are you using travelers or someone else?

At the moment what has satisfied the Traveler's requirements have been the following:

1) Admin access to servers be protected by 2FA
2) VPN/remote access protected by 2FA
3) O365 access protected by 2FA

What this means in practice has been that we've used Duo +E1/E3+P1 licenses at non-cheap clients, so that Duo can be the 2FA for all 3; at cheap clients we've done Microsoft's built-in MFA for O365 and then Duo for the others.
----I believe E1/E3 are a requirement, I forget exactly how the microsoft licensing works, but you definitely need P1 to get the conditional access policies in O365

Also, yeah you should be using some sort of endpoint management, the above does not discount that!

*edit* but yeah you should look at the rider on the insurance policy because that should lay it out fairly well and worst case you can probably setup a call with the carrier to get it figured out.

Chiming in on this as we have this through Travelers as well:

They have a contact that will literally spell out and answer questions regarding what does or does not satisfy the policy.

We had everything in place except for the internal admin server access being behind 2fa. Their guidance was to use the Duo RDP protection.

We’re setting it up but it’s really stupid as hell because you can easily elevate permissions to a separate admin account from literally any desktop or server, whether that be with powershell, RSAT, or any number or other things that don’t involve RDP or the Windows UAC prompt.

It doesn’t help that we’re running into issues with the Duo plug-in causing issues for non-admin users when it is supposed to completely exempt them.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Had a dev report an issue at 3:50 on Friday. They then didn’t help us troubleshoot and signed off at 4pm, so we couldn’t investigate further. Fine whatever, I also usually sign off at 4.

I get a message at 7:30am Monday from the dev asking if it is fixed. :fuckoff:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Lol I know that’s annoying but that guy rules and I wouldn’t expect anything less from my developer counterparts

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SyNack Sassimov posted:

ummmm

I've been trying to sell Yubikeys for replacing passwords to my boss for a while now, so, uh, is this the case for all Yubikeys or just the 4 series? Has anyone actually gone the Google route and replaced passwords with Yubikeys or equivalent, and if not Yubikeys, what was the token you used?

I don't know how the Yubikey 5s are because I'm already not impressed with their support and don't want to spend another 50bux.

But Bitwarden or Lastpass would probably be an easier sell than these.

What were you trying to use them for? Just Windows login and email and such?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

skooma512 posted:

I don't know how the Yubikey 5s are because I'm already not impressed with their support and don't want to spend another 50bux.

But Bitwarden or Lastpass would probably be an easier sell than these.

What were you trying to use them for? Just Windows login and email and such?

Yeah, basically the dream of replacing passwords for a client that's all Azure AD or has very minimal traditional AD setup (nothing more complicated than printers or fileshares, i.e. no old school ancient software with separate passwords).

I was under the impression various companies (besides Google, which started deprecating passwords internally a while ago) were already doing this - user just has a Yubikey or similar and authenticates to Azure with it, with all cloud services being SSO to Azure as well. But the Yubikey would be the primary auth mechanism, protected by a PIN but not requiring a complex password.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Yeah, basically the dream of replacing passwords for a client that's all Azure AD or has very minimal traditional AD setup (nothing more complicated than printers or fileshares, i.e. no old school ancient software with separate passwords).

I was under the impression various companies (besides Google, which started deprecating passwords internally a while ago) were already doing this - user just has a Yubikey or similar and authenticates to Azure with it, with all cloud services being SSO to Azure as well. But the Yubikey would be the primary auth mechanism, protected by a PIN but not requiring a complex password.

Azure AD yubikey has hard requirement both in software (you need to activate Fido support and modern self enroll on azure ad) and in hardware(fido2 required with key attestation).

It’s not like the first hit for yubikey and azure ad is not their dedicated page https://www.yubico.com/it/works-with-yubikey/catalog/azure-active-directory/ which clearly states yubikey 5 are required. My 5ci works perfectly with my azure ad tenant so yelling “all yubikey are shite for azure ad” when the mk.4 is just obsolete and doesn’t fully support fido2 is far from the truth.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 15, 2021

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Ugh... I am in charge of cellphones at work...

We have a corporate account with Verizon. For more than a year now they have been trying to implement a new shopping website for ordering new lines, upgrades, accessories, etc.. Except it has been so bad, they keep switching it back to the old one, which they have done a couple times now. Right now they are back on the terrible new "experience".

The newest brokenness is comical.. Ordering a new line of service; pick the device, the number, etc.. and then add it to the cart. When you go to checkout, it throws up an error that there are items in your cart that must be cleared to continue with an OK or Cancel button. The Cancel button does nothing, but if you click OK, it empties your cart completely! So you can never check out.

Additionally I discovered if you add accessories to the order it gets stuck in a loop you cannot get out of and will keep re-adding the same accessories to the cart over and over again. Good thing you can't actually check out!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
What're the odds on Windows 11 being a paid subscription OS?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

Pretty high. Although it won’t be branded Windows 11. But will just be Windows and will be a rolling release maybe with home/pro/enterprise tagged after it. It will be tied to Microsoft 365 subscription.
Probably be a free edition for lapsed subscriptions with some limitations. Probably similar to S mode in Won 10 now.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Thanatosian posted:

Holy crap, I sure as hell hope not.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

I bet it will remain largely unchanged for consumers and existing 10 installs will get a free upgrade etc.

The real thing is pushing more ‘business’ features behind the enterprise version which comes with the M365 licenses.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If they do go subscription (and I don't think they will, I think it'd be suicide), guarantee it'll also have an ad supported free version.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

xzzy posted:

If they do go subscription (and I don't think they will, I think it'd be suicide), guarantee it'll also have an ad supported free version.

The EU would eat them alive if they tried that.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if microsoft starts removing pro licenses from the perpetual sku catalog, give core for free/peanuts and move whatever is pro/workstation/edu/enterprise to subs for home (bolt it on m365 home/family) and businesses (e&a 3/5). You want cheap/free? You get the core os. You want hyper-v/defender atp/domain join? You splash for the sub.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

MustardFacial posted:

Confluence is loving garbage.

We just switched to gitlab"s built-in wiki and it's been fine. Markdowns, revision history, links, that's all we needed.

Jira"s new smart link feature is my new bane. I paste in two different urls in a comment and it renders them the same way, what's the point.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I must be the only person alive who likes Confluence? Once you get a good team space setup its always worked well for me. The only issue has been getting people to document properly not with the software itself, though they do have absurd licensing costs.

Had a follow up meeting with my boss who wanted to bring in another coworker who had "more TAC experience". Tried telling her this was a huge waste of time and an insult to me but she says the more people we have "pressing" in our twice weekly meetings with Cisco, the more traction we'll get.

So now I get to waste 2 hours a week on a call with Cisco where they will pretend to care about this bug and that they are working hard on the issue. Until of course the next code release comes out that will fix the bug.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I must be the only person alive who likes Confluence? Once you get a good team space setup its always worked well for me. The only issue has been getting people to document properly not with the software itself, though they do have absurd licensing costs.

Had a follow up meeting with my boss who wanted to bring in another coworker who had "more TAC experience". Tried telling her this was a huge waste of time and an insult to me but she says the more people we have "pressing" in our twice weekly meetings with Cisco, the more traction we'll get.

So now I get to waste 2 hours a week on a call with Cisco where they will pretend to care about this bug and that they are working hard on the issue. Until of course the next code release comes out that will fix the bug.

Its absurdly expensive for a product whose purpose is extremely hard to get devs and engineers to put effort into. I haven't seen an org where it wasn't a giant waste of money.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I don’t know what Atlassian are doing with their licensing costs.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Suppliers who ask you for a public SSH key for SFTP uploads, and then their system fails if you use ed25519 or RSA >2048 bit, but they try to blame your key.

How out of date is your loving server, FFS!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Lum posted:

Suppliers who ask you for a public SSH key for SFTP uploads, and then their system fails if you use ed25519 or RSA >2048 bit, but they try to blame your key.

How out of date is your loving server, FFS!

i really despise when some vendor has a "please enter your ssh key here:" field and it chokes on anything that doesn't contain the word rsa

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Really I hate any situation where you're asked an open question with no constraints and then the constraints come afterwards. Oh, a VPN tunnel you say? Here are my proposals and PSK, let me know when you're done. Oh, there's a DH group I can't use and IP space I need to avoid? Why isn't it documented and then I'd have got that all sorted before wasting each other's time.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Really I hate any situation where you're asked an open question with no constraints and then the constraints come afterwards. Oh, a VPN tunnel you say? Here are my proposals and PSK, let me know when you're done. Oh, there's a DH group I can't use and IP space I need to avoid? Why isn't it documented and then I'd have got that all sorted before wasting each other's time.

I would always just wait for someones first attempt then match it if it wasnt pants on head stupid. Seems to be the easiest method in my experience.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I was on an international teams call with the mothership about how they want us to horribly complicate things use Workday to conduct our employee reviews and the HR VP casually dropped that they were even thinking about dropping the salary freeze.

Odd, they didn't mention a salary freeze during my recruitment, onboarding, or subsequent 11 months of employment here :thunk:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Biowarfare posted:

i really despise when some vendor has a "please enter your ssh key here:" field and it chokes on anything that doesn't contain the word rsa

Solution: Generate new keys until you get one that happens to contain the string "rsa" in the base64 encoding.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Add "rsa" in the comment

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

ssh-ed25519 AAAABlahblah4h4hfj4bfxb shitvendor key 2021-06-16 not an rsa key

Edit: Turned out the vendor is using proftpd which only got ed25519 support for stfp this time last year!

Lum fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 16, 2021

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

After the fun with requiring rsa instead of ed25519, the data transfer still failed because their system can't accept a unicode .csv. gotta be 8 bit ascii, or maybe 7bit, waiting for them to answer that

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Pissing me off: The staggering amount of computer illiteracy in today's society

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Software starts making me irrationally angry lately.

I've upgraded my local InfluxDB setup from 1.7 to 2.0, so that I can do that fancy timeshift stuff that's available with Flux but for some reason not in InfluxQL. Well, color me fooled. Grafana allowed to me to attach aliases to InfluxQL queries, so that data series have sane names, but even tho Grafana supports Flux for quite a while now, they figured, no we don't do that here. So the solution is either mouse jockeying tons of loving overrides, or pray to the God's of Flux that your Flux query remapping values doesn't gently caress up the columns and values, then in the panel options, extract that poo poo using some wild ${ } notation, that doesn't seem properly documented. I mean sure, why make it easy for me. Apparently people are like a broken record complaining about the same thing on their forum and other places, and they're still :bugsbunny-NO:

klosterdev posted:

I wrote off older adults, but young folks? I don't even get it. My nephew is bugging me about a ton of things, and it seems like reinstalling Windows is an unsurmountable task, but setting up a convoluted game cheating solution is A-OK. It's all the wrong way around.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 16, 2021

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

klosterdev posted:

Dealt with this yesterday, case manager in our hospital couldn't figure out her dual monitors. Kept saying she couldn't login to the second one when what she meant was she didn't know how to drag a window from her laptop screen to the second monitor. Her excuse, we're case managers not computer people.....

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I’d say a lot of it is learned helplessness. They don’t need to learn it, just call someone over to do it for them. Asking you to cheat in their game won’t fly, but your the computer janitor so fix the OS.

There’s also necessity. If I couldn’t make my 98 machine run, I’m plum out of computers until that is fixed, so I learned how to reOS from my dad so I didn’t have to ask him. Today, if the laptop breaks there’s always a tablet or phone

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Back during the two years I did tech support from 2000-2002, I've been called more than once to fill up a paper tray because "the printer stopped functioning correctly". In a computer parts wholesales no less.

Nowadays I have to deal with Java coders that pull a blank stare when they see even just a simple Excel formula. I'm not sure what's worse.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Honestly, I'm not mad at the users themselves for being computer illiterate, I'm mad at the system in place that fails to teach people basic computer skills and critical thinking so they're not just memorizing what to do until a button moves and they freeze. Doubly so for impoverished areas where owning a computer at home may be a luxury out of their reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

People being bad at computers means I'll literally never be out of a job, ever.