Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

evilpicard posted:

I mean at a minimum you need a speed bag, summit bag, day bag, backpacking bag and expedition bag.

I have about 7 total right now, just need a couple more and I'll be good!

Or just get an ultra light back that can pack an expeditions amount of stuff and weighs as much as a day bag!

The down side is it will cost as much all all the other bags combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

speaking of packs, a cheapo drawstring backpack (the kind that's just a pouch and strings) can be squished down to almost nothing and makes a great daypack for longer backpacking trips. my big osprey pack came with a detachable brain that converts to a daypack, but this is so much lighter that i almost never bring it anymore.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The latest backpack I got was this Venture Pal 40L Lightweight Packable Travel Hiking Backpack Daypack to fit inside this GZ XINXING 64L Large 3 day Molle Assault Pack. I got the giant one for when (if... finally) I deploy with Team Rubicon where I'll have to live out of a pack for a week or so. I don't care about lightweight because it's just for the travel portion. Then I have the daypack for when I go out to "get poo poo done" (our unofficial motto).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flash 18 is one of the best buys ever because it inverts into a stuff sack. So if you need a day pack you empty it and use it like one, and if you need to store more crap it'll do that instead. It even holds a bladder if you want.. I love multipurpose gear. The older design had two lines of webbing on the edges too so it's easy to strap extra crap to it. The modern one only has one run of webbing down the middle which I don't get, I figure it was just a cost cutting decision.

I'm sure other brands have similar designs but I don't know about any of them!

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Demon_Corsair posted:

Or just get an ultra light back that can pack an expeditions amount of stuff and weighs as much as a day bag!

The down side is it will cost as much all all the other bags combined.

In all seriousness my UL bag doesn't do a great job compressing around a 1/4 full load or suspending a 50+lb load.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Chard posted:

speaking of packs, a cheapo drawstring backpack (the kind that's just a pouch and strings) can be squished down to almost nothing and makes a great daypack for longer backpacking trips. my big osprey pack came with a detachable brain that converts to a daypack, but this is so much lighter that i almost never bring it anymore.
One of my absolute favorite pieces of gear (that I have managed to loose :mad:) was this $3 backpack from daiso.

It's just a ripstop bag, a zipper, and two straps. It was fantastic when I wanted to carry some snacks and a light jacket on a side adventure from living out of a bigger backpack or bike bags.

I need to find or make another, because I can't exactly pack my little camelback backpack inside another backpack nicely.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thanks for the air mattress advice. The Exped mat seems awesome but will have to keep an eye out for a discount because that’s a bit pricey.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

What’s a good option for cooling a tent overnight in a hot, dry environment? I have a Jackery battery I can use to power it. Budget is under $500, but the further under, the better, obviously. My leading contender right now is this thing: https://mightykool.com/, but I’d love to benefit from goon wisdom before pulling the trigger.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i just have a rechargable fan I clip in the top of the tent. when I was a kid in the Midwest my dad would just bring a window air conditioner to a plug in site and stick it in the tent door for those 90 degree nights

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A usb powered fan would be my first attempt too, go simple before lugging an AC unit to the campground.

I got recommended this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081W87QGF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And really like it because it's easy to string some cord around the ends and hang it wherever you might need it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Hot and dry environment makes me think a swamp cooler would work okay. You could make one yourself by blowing a fan on a wet towel, or you could get a $40-50 "portable air conditioner" evaporative coolers on Amazon. In a dry environment, you might be able to bring a tent to 10 or 15 degrees below ambient.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Makes sense. I’ll start cheap and simple and learn from there. Thanks!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Aside from those small fans which help a bit I dont know that there is much you can do.

One of the reasons I like hammock camping is that I do find it much cooler in the heat of the summer. Could try that out down the line. Otherwise there is a reason I largely skip hiking and camping in the middle of summer.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Depending on climate I would suggest one or more of the following:
-no tent
-bug net
-tarp pitched high and open
-hammock
-finding a spot in a shaded canyon

The thin fabric of a tent does a surprisingly good job of making the air extra stuffy, though I guess this isn't much help if the ambient air in the shade is still too hot.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
If you're backpacking, it might be helpful not to set up your tent until later when its cooled off a bit as to not allow it to sit and bake during the day. Remove/open up the rainfly and all vents. Open your doors all the way and tie them to the poles so its allowing maximum airflow. Also try and pitch it in shade if possible. Sometimes there's just nothing you can do and its painfully hot. Swamp coolers for car camping might be an option if you have easy access to ice. You might need to worry about the humidity/condensation but its better than being super hot I guess. As others have posted, if you can get a tarp well above your tent to block the direct sun, that can easily make a huge difference.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Aside from those small fans which help a bit I dont know that there is much you can do.

One of the reasons I like hammock camping is that I do find it much cooler in the heat of the summer. Could try that out down the line. Otherwise there is a reason I largely skip hiking and camping in the middle of summer.

Middle of summer I mostly switch to kayaking for this reason too.

Car camping, the battery powered clip fan is suprisingly effective venting the tent straight up the top vent. The real key is to find a shady spot, otherwise the tent just bakes all day. Otherwise, I very much agree, hammock camping is very effective for cooling down, having the nice air gap underneath the fabric

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Just grabbed this old beauty today. Going to build out a shallowish storage compartment across the entire bed with lockable doors for the essentials and leave it loaded so it's pretty much "I want to sleep in the woods/desert/beach tonight" and hitch up. The mobile home wheels/tires and the bolt together rack are going to get replaced with something more substantial ASAP. A good friend owns a shop and just bought a nice tube bender for building cages/bumpers etc., so I'm hoping to add a tube steel rack I feel ok putting a RTT on. In the meantime the immediate plan is to get it ready to drag to Central Oregon next weekend for the Gambler 500. There's gently caress all where we camp, so having this to set up a kitchen & provide shade will be nice.

\/\/ Will do.

highme fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 17, 2021

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

highme posted:

Just grabbed this old beauty today. Going to build out a shallowish storage compartment across the entire bed with lockable doors for the essentials and leave it loaded so it's pretty much "I want to sleep in the woods/desert/beach tonight" and hitch up. The mobile home wheels/tires and the bolt together rack are going to get replaced with something more substantial ASAP. A good friend owns a shop and just bought a nice tube bender for building cages/bumpers etc., so I'm hoping to add a tube steel rack I feel ok putting a RTT on. In the meantime the immediate plan is to get it ready to drag to Central Oregon next weekend for the Gambler 500. There's gently caress all where we camp, so having this to set up a kitchen & provide shade will be nice.

make a thread :five:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

highme posted:

\/\/ Will do.

Been thinking about doing this for a while, but don't want to spend "I could have bought an actual travel trailer" money.

highme
May 25, 2001

I've had my eyes/ears open for a while looking with a $500 top budget for the base trailer, which is how much I spent. The extra rack & top storage bin are going to come in handy, even if I'm not sure it will support the RTT I currently don't own. Pretty sure I can hang a hammock between it & my truck though too, which will come in handy in the desert.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

That is a fantastic price. I feel like everything I've seen is either thousands of dollars, or is like a used harbor freight that's been in an accident.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Anyone here have Sea to Summit sleeping bag pads? I got one as I am a side sleeper, and the third time I used it - in a tent, not rocky area... It got a hole. Bought a patch kit, fixed it, was dumb, didn't test it long enough, took it out again: second hole (and I had left the patch kit home). Another camping trip of 'old wool blanket' support, and now looking it over, looks like a third hole, on top. The kit says my style (with a softer top) can only be bottom patched. Really frustrated. My next step is epoxy and cloth, but goddamn, I expected something so expensive to be a bit more durable.

I store it stretched out at home, so there is a chance cats got near it, but it's in a closet in a room that is always closed up.

Anyone have a tough brand they would recommend? This was a 3 inch one, because side sleeping means more dent in. I broke my back years ago, so flat sleeping hurts after a few hours.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have a Sea to Summit Comfort Light pad. I've taken it on dozens of trips and haven't had any issues with it. StS is a really nice brand. Maybe it really is the cats?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I really like big Agnes for side sleeping. My qcore insulated has lasted 7 years with a single hole that was easily patched with goop.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

highme posted:

\/\/ Will do.
:vince:

This is really cool and I absolutely love your idea! I’ve been wanting to get a teardrop lately for more or less the exact same idea, but this is definitely a more economic and practical spend, especially with a good awning and pull out table for a kitchen, fully customized to how you camp.

Looking forward to the thread!

E: Just went looking and found the RV thread, linking it here for anyone else like me who spends too much time in their bookmarks

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 17, 2021

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The wife and I really wanted to try for a small tear drop or pop-up, but like all things outdoors the last year the prices have really gone up.

Hoping we can snag a nice one in the next couple of years for a decent price as we make the transition from backpacking to car camping with little kids.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Buy a Delica. :v:

A 4x4 van should support all the car camping and lumpy forest service access roads you can stomach.

highme
May 25, 2001

Ironically the last thing I towed was my son & his girlfriend's teardrop they ordered from Bend Teardrops last summer but didn't get until almost October. Long story short, the idea that would be their bedroom at our house was not well thought out and aside from one trip to my wife's family farm, it just sat. I drove it to our closest grocery store where a nice family paid them $1000 more than what they got it for.

xzzy posted:

Buy a Delica. :v:

A 4x4 van should support all the car camping and lumpy forest service access roads you can stomach.

Prior to my 4Runner I had 2 AWD Astros. Great trucks for a camping platform, I spent many nights sleeping in them on Mt Hood in the winter. loving hated driving them elsewhere for the most part. Waiting for shipping costs to subside (and also waiting for some extra money that I don't currently have) and I'm going to look at importing a HiAce or a HiLux, found a spot in Japan where I could get a 4 door turbo diesel HiLux for $10k shipped to Seattle w/ less than 100k miles.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Go into the auto insanity section and page my good friend KakerMix. He does JDM imports as a job/hobby/income on the regular. His Instagram is all turbo diesel land cruisers and hiluxes, plus some actys, hiaces etc.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Verman posted:

Go into the auto insanity section and page my good friend KakerMix. He does JDM imports as a job/hobby/income on the regular. His Instagram is all turbo diesel land cruisers and hiluxes, plus some actys, hiaces etc.

When I have 20k just chilling in my bank account to burn on an adventure vehicle that's where I'm going.

highme
May 25, 2001

Verman posted:

For some reason I feel like you're in the PNW too right? I haven't visited AI in a minute, but that name sounds familiar. I'll check it out, I love nerding out on JDM stuff. Just remembered seeing a crewcab HiAce fire truck rolling through Portland a couple of months back. I need that for a Gambler Sirch & Rascue rig.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

highme posted:

For some reason I feel like you're in the PNW too right? I haven't visited AI in a minute, but that name sounds familiar. I'll check it out, I love nerding out on JDM stuff. Just remembered seeing a crewcab HiAce fire truck rolling through Portland a couple of months back. I need that for a Gambler Sirch & Rascue rig.

Yes, I am in Seattle. I see a lot of JDM stuff around here. Lots of 4x4 microvans, a few firetrucks, a couple cab overs etc. KakerMix and I are childhood friends from the midwest and he's been in to JDM stuff for a while now. Part of me really likes the idea of a JDM 4x4 van or micro RV for outdoor stuff but my 4runner is still running pretty strong at 200k and its just beaten up enough for me to not really care too much about physical appearance anymore.

limerencemotors.com

highme
May 25, 2001

My 4Runner just got it's 4th timing belt at 350k, no reason to replace what ain't broked.

I enjoy this guys videos, he had this Delica camper for a while, but recently sold it and grabbed one of the little Ford vans instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obrjT8G3cTI

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Better to store gear in a humid unfinished basement or an uninsulated shed?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

evilpicard posted:

Better to store gear in a humid unfinished basement or an uninsulated shed?

Basement with one of those desiccant buckets imo

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
You can add a dehumidifier, bait/trap rodents and spray for pests, and control the environment of your basement much easier than your shed. Of you spent that much money on gear, I wouldn't risk it in a shed though it's still better than nothing. If going in the shed I would still put it in plastic totes.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Been trying to do some exercises to correct my anterior pelvic tilt, and doing a lot of reading

And there was a part about like “pants will sit higher in the back than the front”

And suddenly it was obvious why I’ve had so much trouble getting hip belts adjusted for like 7 years

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

It's a shame that most backpacks don't play well with suspenders. I love suspenders.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
This is probably a good thread to ask stupid questions in!

First off, what's a good cat-safe bug spray that doesn't contain permethrin? Or is it fine and I just need to make sure I shower before I do anything around the house?

Second, I'm interested in trying out backpacking next year and while I'm not planning on going anywhere particularly remote or exotic I'm wondering if I should invest in classes since I don't have a lot of experience. If so are there any particularly strong recommendations on that front? Also, once i know what I'm doing how safe is it to do alone? A ask because there's a decent chance I won't be able to drag any of my friends along what with it being outdoors and all (you lazy bums! :argh:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

readingatwork posted:

This is probably a good thread to ask stupid questions in!

First off, what's a good cat-safe bug spray that doesn't contain permethrin? Or is it fine and I just need to make sure I shower before I do anything around the house?

Second, I'm interested in trying out backpacking next year and while I'm not planning on going anywhere particularly remote or exotic I'm wondering if I should invest in classes since I don't have a lot of experience. If so are there any particularly strong recommendations on that front? Also, once i know what I'm doing how safe is it to do alone? A ask because there's a decent chance I won't be able to drag any of my friends along what with it being outdoors and all (you lazy bums! :argh:).

Permethrin is toxic to cats when wet. You can hang your clothes on a clothes line outside, spray them, wait for them to dry COMPLETELY, and then bring them in and it should be fine. Source - I've had cats my whole life and done this often and never had a problem.