Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

If you want some fromsoft game hot takes I got a good one for ya

in awe of how accurate to the dark souls pvp experience this is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Do they actually mean Dark Souls 1 or some other game beginning with DS?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

VideoGames posted:

they were 100% talking about dark souls

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I've plays demon souls, all the dark souls, and bloodbourne, Nioh, and any other souls like I could find. I really liked Sekiro, but I'm dogshit at timing parries. So I only got about 2/3rds or so of the way through before giving up in frustration. It's always rewarding when I could manage a parry in a souls game, but basing an entire game around that mechanic kinda sucked for me.

I'm grateful that Elden Ring isn't going to lock me into one particular mechanic. This also makes for A lot of replayability with different builds. Sekiro was pretty much a one trick pony, although it was a really good looking pony.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol

VideoGames posted:

There are two people in that thread with insanely bad souls takes. The other one was saying Lords of the Fallen is better than DS2.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

This just in, Elden Ring will allow you to catch and return arrows

Yes Please! (and keep with the shurikens and mikiris and we have the greatest FromSoft game ever.)

Groovelord Neato posted:

There are two people in that thread with insanely bad souls takes. The other one was saying Lords of the Fallen is better than DS2.

:prepop: :prepop:

PYF Bad FromSoftware Takes Thread. We have quite a few already.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
seriously still lolling every time I picture invading someone and teabagging them. Can you mod new animations into Souls? That'd be a worthwhile hack

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Lexorin posted:

I've plays demon souls, all the dark souls, and bloodbourne, Nioh, and any other souls like I could find. I really liked Sekiro, but I'm dogshit at timing parries. So I only got about 2/3rds or so of the way through before giving up in frustration. It's always rewarding when I could manage a parry in a souls game, but basing an entire game around that mechanic kinda sucked for me.

I'm grateful that Elden Ring isn't going to lock me into one particular mechanic. This also makes for A lot of replayability with different builds. Sekiro was pretty much a one trick pony, although it was a really good looking pony.

i'm finding it hard to believe you played through nioh with its gajillion timing based mechanics but just tapping one button in time with an enemy's attack in sekiro was a bridge too far

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!

Lexorin posted:

Unless you're playing charmless, I don't think you need to parry all that much just to get through the game. There are a few mini-bosses where it's unavoidable, but most of the time you just have to keep up the pressure to make sure their posture bar doesn't empty.

I do hope that Elden Ring will keep the emphasis on aggression, while allowing for different weapon builds. Maybe something like Nioh but without all the things that make Nioh bullshit.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The only thing I didn't like about Sekiro is that the first 2 required bosses (Ogre and Bull) basically require you to ignore the whole parry system and play it as more of a hit and run fight. Really throws you off when you're new and still trying to learn parrying. Aside from that the game was perfect

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

skasion posted:

How do I tea bag in Dark Souls

You can kinda do it with gestures?

I'm more confused at the 'pay to win' and 'item only available months ago during an event' comments

Because no souls game has ever done either of those things

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
You can't literally teabag in Dark Souls but I think spamming your block animation is the spiritual equivalent. I would like to hear more about the pay to win consumables though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Zaphod42 posted:

You can kinda do it with gestures?

I'm more confused at the 'pay to win' and 'item only available months ago during an event' comments

Because no souls game has ever done either of those things

There are excellent bm gestures in Souls but nothing quite like a teabag. Maybe repeatedly doing patches squat in DS3 though idk if that works. The best options in DS1 are the 0 estus shrug and, of course, throwing poop.

DS2 had limited item reskins, there was one for each of the DLC releases. They appeared in the chest in the Majula basement that usually has a soul vessel. Can’t remember what they were, I think one was a white version of the blacksteel katana?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Volte posted:

You can't literally teabag in Dark Souls but I think spamming your block animation is the spiritual equivalent. I would like to hear more about the pay to win consumables though.

If you pay merchants in souls for consumables you can use the consumables to help you win. It's hosed up and it's the worst trend in gaming right now

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

gonna go out on a limb here and take a guess that post was not made with 100 percent sincerity

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Nothing in Sekiro was as frustrating to me as playing DS2 on launch and seeing a message floating on a ledge that looked out of bounds, so i'm like "oh poo poo secret item"

So after spending like an hour parkouring and doing bullshit to get to this secret ledge i landed on it and the message just said "horse but hole" and i closed the game.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

wow looks like the bad place is trying to spread its drama to other forums smdh

Xenolalia posted:

Nothing in Sekiro was as frustrating to me as playing DS2 on launch and seeing a message floating on a ledge that looked out of bounds, so i'm like "oh poo poo secret item"

So after spending like an hour parkouring and doing bullshit to get to this secret ledge i landed on it and the message just said "horse but hole" and i closed the game.

fuckin owned

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Xenolalia posted:

whoever left that message is a hero, I hope you rated it

Cowcaster posted:

gonna go out on a limb here and take a guess that post was not made with 100 percent sincerity
I'm about 99.9% certain it was

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/ELDENRING/status/1405178475598827521?s=20

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Xenolalia posted:

This is actually wonderful :D

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

mysterious frankie posted:

more than high fantasy Japan

LMAO goon sekiro is not high fantasy, and it's art is just as weird, dark, and gross as bloodborne's

Regy Rusty posted:

This just in, Elden Ring will allow you to catch and return arrows

:allears:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Xenolalia posted:

This resonates on a deep and personal level.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Cowcaster posted:

i'm finding it hard to believe you played through nioh with its gajillion timing based mechanics but just tapping one button in time with an enemy's attack in sekiro was a bridge too far

I dunno, you could ignore the vast majority of the timing poo poo in Nioh. Just pick a few go-to moves/stances, bait out attacks and get good with dodge-rolls. It's precision timing for a billion different attacks from all the enemies that I can't wrap my head around.

acyclicity posted:

Unless you're playing charmless, I don't think you need to parry all that much just to get through the game. There are a few mini-bosses where it's unavoidable, but most of the time you just have to keep up the pressure to make sure their posture bar doesn't empty.

I can't quite remember where I quit at, I think it was the first fight with Owl-dad. I did manage to parry the mini-boss that skuttles at you and attacks 20 times in a row. Not sure how I could manage that but then get my poo poo pushed in by everything else.

Lexorin fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 16, 2021

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

skasion posted:

Sekiro has the somewhat unfortunate quality that fights take longer the worse and the more scared you are, to the point where not being aggressive enough can basically condemn you fight some enemies forever (or until you figure out what the game wants)

And then, right at the end, they drop in Demon of Hatred who is basically a Dark Souls boss and rewards hit and run/hug the butt play that you just spent the whole game unlearning

Masterclass in player trolling

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!

Lexorin posted:

I dunno, you could ignore the vast majority of the timing poo poo in Nioh. Just pick a few go-to moves/stances, bait out attacks and get good with dodge-rolls. It's precision timing for a billion different attacks from all the enemies that I can't wrap my head around.

I can't quite remember where I quit at, I think it was the first fight with Owl-dad. I did manage to parry the mini-boss that skuttles at you and attacks 20 times in a row. Not sure how I could manage that but then get my poo poo pushed in by everything else.

Yeah, the Centipede mini-bosses let you mash a lot more than the first Owl fight does. His attacks are slower than some of the other bosses, which messes with the parry timing, and then the game punishes you for missing parries by making the timing even more precise.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

LMAO goon sekiro is not high fantasy, and it's art is just as weird, dark, and gross as bloodborne's

Not to effort post but this touches on probably the biggest reason why i'm so excited for ER. The leaked concept art so far displays character design choices that i feel From simply wouldn't have made pre-sekiro development, and they're all a step forward. Where DS1 uses an oppressive world and atmosphere to convey alot of it's horror. It's a damp, disgusting, bloodsoaked world that's unnerving to simply exist in (and imo bloodborne is the pinnacle of this) it's a world that is almost so kind of, constantly off putting and gross that you don't get hit by these spikes of horror. Whereas I think Sekiro really did a good job of mixing this where you have unnerving areas with sometimes zero or few enemies, combined with beautiful areas with some of the most horrific enemy designs yet. You get theses spikes and waves of horror that I'm hoping we get in ER.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Lexorin posted:

Parry timing on fast combos in general is really forgiving, once I parry the first attack I can just mash L1 and get the rest with no effort. It's the slow attacks where you have to be careful with your parry timing. It seems like the meanest bosses will try to punish twitchiness with deceptively long attack telegraphing.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
From bosses have always been my least favourite fights of their games. I love the designs/attacks/animations/mythoses but I am bad at gaming and trying to learn and then anticipate their move sets is not as satisfying as wandering the worlds and slaughtering lesser foe.

So I fear I will never see the entirety of Sekiro's world and inhabitants because the bosses are just too hard for me.

Perhaps getting good is the answer?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah I'm generally bad at video games and getting good is the answer. The bosses are the best part it's the prize for getting through the level.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
the litmus test for whether or not you like sekiro is whether or not you've purposely killed the undead merchant to get the uchigatana

if you have, congratulations, sekiro was made for you

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Blaziken386 posted:

the litmus test for whether or not you like sekiro is whether or not you've purposely killed the undead merchant to get the uchigatana

if you have, congratulations, sekiro was made for you

I never kill non-hostile npcs in dark souls, unless it's to stop them from murdering my friends
and sometimes Patches, because he loving has it coming

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The reason ds bosses are low points is because they are all giant fantastical beasts which is only cool outside the actual fight. That's why the few that are less out of whack, mano a mano are the best, and why sekiros are so revered.

The best was in uncharted 2 mp where you could do this pelvic thrust after killing someone. You shouldn't just disappear after dying when invaded, the winner should get like 10 seconds to ragdoll your corpse around and fling you off a cliff or something

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

huh posted:

From bosses have always been my least favourite fights of their games. I love the designs/attacks/animations/mythoses but I am bad at gaming and trying to learn and then anticipate their move sets is not as satisfying as wandering the worlds and slaughtering lesser foe.

So I fear I will never see the entirety of Sekiro's world and inhabitants because the bosses are just too hard for me.

Perhaps getting good is the answer?

Have you played Demon's Souls?

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Have you played Demon's Souls?

I haven't. I'll have a PS5 some time later this year. Then it's Demon's Souls and then Elden Ring and then waiting for Miyazaki to awaken my gaming interest again.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

huh posted:

I haven't. I'll have a PS5 some time later this year. Then it's Demon's Souls and then Elden Ring and then waiting for Miyazaki to awaken my gaming interest again.

DeS mostly has easy theme or puzzle bosses, but the level design is far trickier and less forgiving, so people often joke that the levels are the bosses.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

DeS mostly has easy theme or puzzle bosses, but the level design is far trickier and less forgiving, so people often joke that the levels are the bosses.

I'm very much looking forward to Demon's.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah usually the bosses are like a capstone, a victory lap, to reward you finishing the level.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

huh posted:

I'm very much looking forward to Demon's.

It's top tier OP, evergreen art and game design

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
there's still a few very tough bosses though. false king, maneaters and flamelurker are the main ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lih posted:

there's still a few very tough bosses though. false king, maneaters and flamelurker are the main ones

Yeah, admittedly there a def a few blueprints for the later FROM boss formula. Penetrator is way less intimidating after you've been through Bloodborne and DS3.