Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

cheetah7071 posted:

It did create a sort of weird flow where a boss that didn't have dekaja or dekunda was just helpless, and if they did have it then your buff essentially had a duration, just a random one. I'd expect those moves to be a lot rarer to account for you constantly needing to refresh them by default

Probably this. Bosses typically either had dekaja and dekunda, or they were trivial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cait sith definitely appears in smt II I've slaughtered hundreds while grinding bodyconians

Really interested to see where they're going with all the gnostic stuff

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

probably get the group ones later and its just so early game isnt "bosses are either tuned for ur whole party being buffed and you get stomped for not using them, or tuned for not using them and are easy if you do"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, that makes sense. It probably is better for balance this way.

I was concerned about basically having to go full buff-bot with a demon to keep the party buffed since they'll have to refresh every three turns but I guess I forgot just how annoying Dekaja is and that it's basically the same thing but less predictable.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Cait sith definitely appears in smt II I've slaughtered hundreds while grinding bodyconians

Oh derp. Its even in SMT 1, and If. I didn't remember seeing them, and then went to the SMT wiki to check, but didn't realize that the games listen in profiles and stats were different. Will fix.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

cait sith is also in final fantasy

Serf
May 5, 2011

Definitely not a fan of them changing how buffing works. That's a Persona thing that should've stayed in Persona.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I wonder how MC will learn skills. Obviously it does look like we're going back to the no-weapons-or-armor style of Nocturne, but will there be a Magatama-esque system? Demon Whisper being back?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Serf posted:

Definitely not a fan of them changing how buffing works. That's a Persona thing that should've stayed in Persona.

:cry:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

You good?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Combining stacking with a fixed duration and splitting into single/multi target versions would be the worst possible combination. It's basically a setup designed to make you want to not bother with them which sure is a design decision that could be made. Hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds, though.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
What if demons with positive affinity for (de)buffs can cast them for longer durations? That might be a way to encourage building dedicated support demons as opposed to generalist magic builds.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Alacron posted:

What if demons with positive affinity for (de)buffs can cast them for longer durations? That might be a way to encourage building dedicated support demons as opposed to generalist magic builds.

Okay that would actually be pretty good

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Maybe we'll get a Tarukajadyne that buffs longer, or buffs more stages. Maybe they'll steal Technical High from Strikers where critical hits extend your buffs. All sorts of potential.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

they could do lots of things. however ont he other hand i could see 1 second of footage 5 months before its out and declare it fail

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

This whole thing smacks of persona I holler as I overturn the cathedral organ and turn the 4th kagutsuchi phase into the phase of poo poo

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

This whole thing smacks of persona I holler as I overturn the cathedral organ and turn the 4th kagutsuchi phase into the phase of poo poo

:emptyquote:

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
In case no one else has been following it, the fa patch that mashes the official SMT1 translation from the iOS version into the GBA port has hit 1.0

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6129/

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Single target buffs is one of the dumbest things about One More, why put Sukukaja on one party member? It's worthless.

Not liking taking that and putting it on the better battle system.

Alacron posted:

This is a cool idea, though.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Does anyone even use buffs in Persona? In the beginning of the games, being single-target and having a fixed duration mean they're basically only useful for not getting the MC killed, and mid/late game it's such a negligible difference it doesn't even seem worth it to bother. I pretty much only use them for the endgame enemies where every party member has nothing better to do than spam buffs/debuffs because none of them even contribute to DPS next to Hassou Tobi. This is pretty stark contrast with Nocturne where if a boss can't use Dekunda or Dekaja you get a free win. In that regard, I can kind of see their reasoning behind the change, but yeah on a surface level having stacking buffs plus single target plus limited duration sounds like a nightmare and I would expect there to be some sort of game mechanic around extending buffs or something like that because otherwise uuuuuuugh

Was there anything in the trailer about Demon Traits still being in? Traits loving rule

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Buffs are very useful in Persona

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Does anyone even use buffs in Persona? In the beginning of the games, being single-target and having a fixed duration mean they're basically only useful for not getting the MC killed, and mid/late game it's such a negligible difference it doesn't even seem worth it to bother. I pretty much only use them for the endgame enemies where every party member has nothing better to do than spam buffs/debuffs because none of them even contribute to DPS next to Hassou Tobi. This is pretty stark contrast with Nocturne where if a boss can't use Dekunda or Dekaja you get a free win. In that regard, I can kind of see their reasoning behind the change, but yeah on a surface level having stacking buffs plus single target plus limited duration sounds like a nightmare and I would expect there to be some sort of game mechanic around extending buffs or something like that because otherwise uuuuuuugh

As far as I could tell, on the higher difficulties at least, they are just as necessary as in SMT. It was one of my greatest complaints about P3, not being able to renew debuffs, because bosses invariably got a full powered attack on you and that could be fatal.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Was there anything in the trailer about Demon Traits still being in? Traits loving rule

Multi-target buffs are still really strong in Persona, it's just single target buffs that are mostly worthless. Well, Masukukaja is still not worth the turn most of the time but it would be worth using in a Press Turn game like this.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Man, I really need to create like 3rd grader flash cards for the names of the SMT buffs and debuffs. I have played every single SMT or SMT-adjacent game at least a little bit and I still can never remember what does what. It's up there with Phantasy Star 4's spell names in incomprehensibility to me for some reason.

Yes I am aware that there are only like 6, no I don't know why I can't remember them. I don't have any trouble with the element or instant-kill spells, just the buffs and debuffs.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

NikkolasKing posted:

As far as I could tell, on the higher difficulties at least, they are just as necessary as in SMT. It was one of my greatest complaints about P3, not being able to renew debuffs, because bosses invariably got a full powered attack on you and that could be fatal.

I've beaten every Persona game on the highest difficulty (Merciless on base P5, P5R doesnt count as being hard) and the only time I've ever really relied on buffs is like...Cadenza vs Rampage Drive, which just illustrates my point even more that full-party buffs are significantly better than single-target. Thinking about the hardest fights in each game and what's mostly coming to mind is the early-game P3 fights where yeah the game would be significantly easier if I had access to multi-target buffs/debuffs and I'd use them way more, but they aren't so I don't.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Aigis' job in P3 is to rotate buffs for me

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I've beaten every Persona game on the highest difficulty (Merciless on base P5, P5R doesnt count as being hard) and the only time I've ever really relied on buffs is like...Cadenza vs Rampage Drive, which just illustrates my point even more that full-party buffs are significantly better than single-target. Thinking about the hardest fights in each game and what's mostly coming to mind is the early-game P3 fights where yeah the game would be significantly easier if I had access to multi-target buffs/debuffs and I'd use them way more, but they aren't so I don't.

Oh. Single target buffs are mostly worthless yes. My run of P3P on Maniac (which I still haven't finished, admittedly) I think I used Rakukaja and Sukukaja because the big Tartarus jerk (I can't remember which boss it was) could absolutely wipe me with one of his wind attacks without them. Mostly it was the lack of good party-wide healing that was the problem, though. I couldn't keep everyone's HP up while also trying to kill the thing.

Tarukaja and Power Charge on MC or somebody against Shadow Teddie makes the fight go a decent bit faster.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

RichterIX posted:

Man, I really need to create like 3rd grader flash cards for the names of the SMT buffs and debuffs. I have played every single SMT or SMT-adjacent game at least a little bit and I still can never remember what does what. It's up there with Phantasy Star 4's spell names in incomprehensibility to me for some reason.

Yes I am aware that there are only like 6, no I don't know why I can't remember them. I don't have any trouble with the element or instant-kill spells, just the buffs and debuffs.
Yeah, I bought the PS2 version of Nocturne back when it first came out because I liked the SNES games, I've played every SMT/Persona game that's gotten a NA release since then (not counting the dancing games) and the only buff/debuff skills I'm confident I know the names of are rakukaja and debilitate, and that's because I just spent like an hour fusing up a party of daemons with them for the TDE endboss(es) in the remake.

Like I had no trouble remembering poo poo like how to get all the magatamas. Last year I replayed the Yakuza 3, 4, and 5 for the first time since they came out because of their remasters and I still remembered poo poo like where random coin locker keys are. Sukukaja? That, uh...raises...your...suku.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Your joking. How can you not have internalized whose but memorized agi or bufu.

Tarukaja ups you attack
Sukukaja ups you supeed
Makakaja ups you magic

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Tarukaja ups you attack
Sukukaja ups you supeed
Makakaja ups you magic

ok I've been playing these games for a long time and I didn't even know this wtf lmao

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Makajam ups my sax game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Spermando posted:

Makajam ups my sax game.

By muting you?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Tarukaja ups you attack
Sukukaja ups you supeed
Makakaja ups you magic
That's clever and I've already forgotten it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
rakukaja raises your uh. hm.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

There should be something like the Satomi Tadashi song only about the buffs/debuffs.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Aku Aku defends you in Crash Bandacoot

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

rakukaja raises your uh. hm.

Rakukaja raises your Rasistance to attacks

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

The Japanese webpage updated to have a Character/Story section. I'll give a rough translation, with the normal caveat that I'll obviously take a few liberties to sound more natural.

Story:

Thou shalt become a god

The protagonist is a third year highschool student in the Tokyo metropolitan area. Commuting to and from a boarding school, Jouin academy, he lives a peaceful everyday life. One day, as he and his friends are trying to return home through Shinagawa station, a murder incident nearby shuts the station down. The protagonist then enters a tunnel in search of his friend who went off on his own. It is then that the tunnel caves in.

The protagonist, who is now swallowed up, loses consciousness. When he regains consciousness, Tokyo has been turned into ruins and desert. Then, bizarre creatures called demons attack. Suddenly, a mysterious man appears before the protagonist as he runs away

"Boy, if you don't want to die, take my hand"

The instant he takes it, the two are wrapped in a dazzling light that causes them to fuse. They transform into the forbidden being "Nahobino." After using his powers to crush the demons, he wanders the desert Tokyo known as "Da'at." In "Da'at," where mythical demons and gods dominate, like giant nagas and wicked devils, they are in a fierce battle for mutual survival.

What happened to Tokyo? What is up with this form, "Nahobino?"

As he searches for the truth, he finds himself battling demons and gods, with the future of the world at stake.

Character:

He lives an everyday life, but because of an incident, he becomes lost in another world
The Protagonist:
A boy who is a third year high school student. He gets caught in the collapse of an underground tunnel, and gets lost in "Da'at," a world that has become a desert. Reading is his hobby.

Boy, if you don't want to die, take my hand
Aogami
Voice actor: Toshiyuki Morikawa
A mysterious man who suddenly appears before the protagonist in Da'at as the demons attack. After the protagonist takes his hand, they transform into "Nahobino"

When the protagonist and Aogami fuse, a forbidden existence is created.
Nahobino
They can use their supernatural powers to fight against demons. The protagonist does the decision making, and Aogami is only a voice that guides the protagonist.
-----------------------
So in short, the new info:

Protagonist gets to Da'at after having a tunnel collapse on him while looking for a friend.

Mystery Man goes by Aogami.

Aogami exists as a voice in the protagonists' head after the fusion.

Hints that, like Nocturne, protagonist is to get godlike powers to shape the world.

Protagonist is nerd who likes books.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 17, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Similarly, you know -kunda means lower because your enemies are gonna unda the ground after you beat them to death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kanda Shrine is a straight shot north on the Shinigawa line. Just saying