Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
John Cena question.

Why was he so hated in 05/06/07 specifically? Before his burial of Nexus. I've gone back and watched all the 2006/2007 PPVs and Cena is consistently hitting it out of the park. Is it because he was going over "smark favourites" Jericho, Edge, Christian, Angle, etc? Is it the Roman Reigns thing where a guy is cool until WWE get behind him and meddle with a popular act?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he was the childrens' hero who didn't ever lose or leave the top storyline and his first couple of title reigns really poisoned him for good i thought. part of it was going over better/cooler workers but he held the belt for 9 months, lost it for less than one month, then held the belt again for 4 months. then when he lost it again, the belt was off him for less than 4 months before he won it again and held it for over a year. the only reason he didn't hold it longer was an injury and then he moved over to the other belt iirc. i guess if you like what he was doing back then it doesn't matter but internet fans sure didn't. edit. i forgot. let me explain just how much "the belt" and "having it" means here online

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 15, 2021

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Also this hideous piece of poo poo being the top title belt forever and ever

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

History Comes Inside! posted:

Also this hideous piece of poo poo being the top title belt forever and ever

I used to hate the spinner belt and the rapper gimmick. But Now I think both are good.
Personally, I didn't like Cena at the time because I didn't think he deserved beating all my favorites, I thought he was just the flavor of the month guy they try to push and he'll be gone soon. Pissing his push into the wind.

I was so, so, wrong, of course.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

IGgy IGsen posted:

I used to hate the spinner belt and the rapper gimmick. But Now I think both are good.
Personally, I didn't like Cena at the time because I didn't think he deserved beating all my favorites, I thought he was just the flavor of the month guy they try to push and he'll be gone soon. Pissing his push into the wind.

I was so, so, wrong, of course.

The spinner belt and gimmick would have been fine if they didn't make everyone else keep using the spinner belt. It made no sense to have everyone else use the gimmick-specific belt made for one dude.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It was kinda fun when Edge put a big 'R' sticker on it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ganso Bomb posted:

The spinner belt and gimmick would have been fine if they didn't make everyone else keep using the spinner belt. It made no sense to have everyone else use the gimmick-specific belt made for one dude.

Yeah that choice really made it obvious where the belt was headed back to soon when someone took it off Cena.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

sticklefifer posted:

It was kinda fun when Edge put a big 'R' sticker on it.

Outdone only by RVD saying he wanted to keep that belt in addition to the ECW belt because "Look, it spins!"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Didn’t the belt get stuck with the WWE logo being tilted and it just stayed that way for years?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I thought they just stopped the spinning gimmick but kept it the same otherwise, if it was actually just stuck the whole time then lol.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I think it became "stuck" like that once Randy won the belt (whenever that was)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Randy pooped in the belt.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
lol I just remembered when Miz turned the W logo upside down and stuck it that way because M is for Miz I guess.

Morld Mrestling Entertainment

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

sticklefifer posted:

Morld Mrestling Entertainwent

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

lol I just remembered when Miz turned the W logo upside down and stuck it that way because M is for Miz I guess.

Morld Mrestling Entertainment

He also does this with microphones

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s arguably the best thing he’s ever done because it’s a thing that’s “his”.

It’s a low bar to clear though.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Where did the “Am I loving going over?” Triple H story come from?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Where did the “Am I loving going over?” Triple H story come from?

quote:

Number 7: "Am I F***ing Going Over?!"

One traumatized writer gave Powerslam writer Matthew Randazzo the following account of one of his earlier meetings with Triple H a few years ago:

“I remember being nervous the first time I delivered the script to the McMahon dressing room where HHH would dress (he would never use the locker rooms with the rest of the boys). When HHH answered I told him the RAW script was ready for his review. On the first occasion, he grabbed the script, flipped through it but did not read it, and asked me point-blank: ‘Am I f***ing going over?’ This first time that I delivered the script to him, he did indeed win his match, so I said yes. Then he politely gave the script back to me without reading it and said, ‘That’s all I needed to know,’ and walked back into the McMahon locker room. A few months later when Gewirtz had another weekend off, I delivered another RAW script to him on a PPV Sunday. And it was the same routine. He nonchalantly flipped through it and said, ‘Am I f***ing going over?’ This time, however, he was to lose his match via disqualification. He would keep his title. I said to him, ‘Well, sort of.’ Then Hunter froze. He said, ‘What do you f***ing mean, sort of?’ I said, ‘You lose the match via DQ, so you still keep the title.’, ‘What page?’ he growled. After I told Hunter the page number this occurred on, he ripped that page out, threw the rest of the script to the floor in a rage, and slammed the door in my face. Needless to say, the next day during the agents’ meeting, the script had somehow changed and now HHH won his match – cleanly. This was hardly an isolated incident.”

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thank you for your service.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
When I was a kid I always liked wrestlers who had a post-match ritual, whether it was Jake Roberts covering someone with his snake, Ted Dibiase stuffing money in his opponents mouth or Brutus Beefcake cutting someone’s hair. Does anyone in wrestling currently do something like this?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Anthony Ogogo does a thing where he throws a Union Jack over his dead opponent. And I guess Max Caster with his hand kissing

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Minoru Suzuki likes to murder some people ringside regardless of whether he wins or loses

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Billy Gunn does that thing where he tries to dance with Audrey whether she wants it or not. It's weird and creepy.

Angelico sometimes tries to get Bryce to do his dick-string dance, which is quite a bit funnier.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

Billy Gunn does that thing where he tries to dance with Audrey whether she wants it or not. It's weird and creepy.

Angelico sometimes tries to get Bryce to do his dick-string dance, which is quite a bit funnier.

Billy and Aubrey are friends and she never seemed to think it was creepy?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

a cyborg mug posted:

Minoru Suzuki likes to murder some people ringside regardless of whether he wins or loses

When Minoru Suzuki wins it's celebratory murder
When Minoru Suzuki loses it's venting murder

It's my favorite part about him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

IGgy IGsen posted:

When Minoru Suzuki wins it's celebratory murder
When Minoru Suzuki loses it's venting murder

It's my favorite part about him.

It's like when people were telling Uemura not to fight back because it'll make Suzuki mad. But not fighting back also makes him mad because you're being a coward.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

Billy and Aubrey are friends and she never seemed to think it was creepy?

She's literally pushed him away a few times. She just did it this week. It's just weird to watch because Billy's entire role is Weird Dad and that has nothing to do with his character.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he keeps trying to dance with her every week b/c it's their inside joke. the reason she tries to get him to stop is because her role on tv is as an aew official and not a goofball. she has called him her dance partner on social media. aew is not having announcers make jokes about real HR violations that they themselves are recording and broadcasting, while doing nothing about it as well. If you believe otherwise you are the sticklest fiffer i've ever seen

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

She’s told stories about how they mess around with each other on unrestricted. You are reading way too much into what you see on the wrestling show, where people pretend to try and kill each other every week.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Don’t be a Stiffly Stifferson.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Billy needs to follow Tay Conti's lead: Dance with Aubrey only after you win the match, not before

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

History Comes Inside! posted:

She’s told stories about how they mess around with each other on unrestricted. You are reading way too much into what you see on the wrestling show, where people pretend to try and kill each other every week.
As much as I go to bat for the Dark shows feeding into storylines, the IRL vlog/podcast stuff isn't part of the characters and is never referenced. Also chill, because I'm not "reading into it" or calling him a sexual predator, I'm literally saying Late 50s Dad Character On Television insisting on dancing with a young woman has a weird vibe to me, especially when it's not his character. Don't make A Thing™ out of it. I really don't care that much.

Cavauro posted:

If you believe otherwise you are the sticklest fiffer i've ever seen
Listen, I pride myself on that. :colbert:

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

I will say, regardless of it being an inside joke between them, it's not the kind of thing I enjoy seeing in general, let alone on my favorite podcast. Gunn Club is honestly my least favorite part about dark, though that's not why.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I asked this in the Wrestlers on Social Media thread. But it's probably more suited to being asked here.

I don't have an encyclopaedic memory, and it must have happened somewhere and at sometime. But I can't remember anytime there was a televised sneeze on a wrestling show. Either real or pantomimed. Just to annoy a certain petty thin skinned old man.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

I asked this in the Wrestlers on Social Media thread. But it's probably more suited to being asked here.

I don't have an encyclopaedic memory, and it must have happened somewhere and at sometime. But I can't remember anytime there was a televised sneeze on a wrestling show. Either real or pantomimed. Just to annoy a certain petty thin skinned old man.

During the vignettes of Brodie Sr. interacting with I want to say 10 and 5, one of them sneezes and Brodie loses his poo poo

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

Listen, I pride myself on that. :colbert:

Good

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

El Gallinero Gros posted:

During the vignettes of Brodie Sr. interacting with I want to say 10 and 5, one of them sneezes and Brodie loses his poo poo

Wasn't that a yawn? Or was there a scene with a sneeze too?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

Wasn't that a yawn? Or was there a scene with a sneeze too?

One of them sneezed at a steak dinner

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Was the steak in a ketchup wrap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

BrigadierSensible posted:

Not televised, but years back there was this WWE comic series co-written by Mick Foley. It's mainly remembered for the completely trash art that took up the middle of it (for example, the artist didn't have any reference for El Torito, so he just made him a silhouette in every panel). One of the storylines was kind of a Hangover type of thing with Bryan, Punk, Mysterio and Hornswoggle where they apparently screwed up Raw's arena during some kind of blackout and now everyone was out to get them. This included Vince, who was written as having a bad cold and was constantly sneezing. I figured it was Foley choosing to mess with Vince via a project that Vince probably wasn't aware existed.

Notably, the storyline ended with a weird moment of Bryan giving Punk a respectful goodbye, as the issue came out long after Royal Rumble 2014.