Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Wow Fume knight is hard. I've spent more time on it than any other boss so far and don't even feel close to beating it. Best I did was 1/3 health left. It's like Capra Demon tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I know other people like to claim he's the bestest boss of all time but I'm very much of the opinion he pushes the needle past the "just right" level of challenge and inches towards the "obnoxiously bullshit" range.

Though really who could have guessed that a boss with an explicit "gently caress you for trying to heal" attack would end up being the statistically hardest boss in the game?? And I've said it before but the "just gonna no-sell half your attacks with an instant back-hop on demand" thing is downright infuriating.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

As long as there are people who have trouble with the Fume Knight I will keep quoting myself from 2015.

NGDBSS posted:

To clarify/expand on what Mr Dog said previously, it's generally easier to not have to switch modes against the Fume Knight by equipping Velstadt's Helm as the host. If you do so he instead just goes straight to phase 2, with the following four attacks:
-A (relatively) quick multi-hit combo. Dodge away from this.
-A telegraphed point-blank AoE. Dodge or run away from this, including the dark fireballs that it releases after the initial burst.
-A slow fiery sweep of his sword. Learn how to dodge under this to his your left, then smack him in the rear end once (or twice with a really fast weapon).
-A charging stab. Learn how to dodge towards him (effectively ducking under the sword), then smack him in the face once.

I used to have a hell of a lot of trouble with the Fume Knight, and hated him for having so much health. But then I took him apart as above, and with this strategy he's pretty easy. Just make sure not to stay in his face; by doing so you'll discourage him from using the combo (which is bad for counterattacking) and towards the charge (which is good for counterattacking). A lot of the bosses have some optimal range that encourages a particularly helpful distribution of attacks, but perhaps none more so than the Fume Knight (play keep-away!) and Sir Alonne (get in his face). (The Ancient Dragon doesn't loving count; he's a bonus boss.)

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
And be ready to roll 3 times when he starts to swing, it's easier once you figure out the timing on those multihit combo swings and don't get caught out just dodging one or two.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I'm on my first ds2 run and i think (hope?) I'm close to the end at this point since I've lit all the primal fires, is this like ds1 dlc wise where it's all hidden and you have to jump through some ridiculous hoops to get to it before you defeat the main final boss?

Also, normally I hate getting invaded because it's always someone who's played like a gazillion hours of the game and knows how to exploit things to stunlock you to death or stab you in the back from ten feet in front of your face, but I joined the bell tower covenant and enjoyed getting summoned to troll any intruder who arrives in that area. I came across someone whose name was the n word with 9's in place of the g's and I took particular pleasure in caving his skull in.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

you don't have to worry about doing anything before beating the final boss because you can just continue playing afterwards without starting NG+

and no it's not hidden like that, there's just three keys in three somewhat out of the way places in the game that open one DLC area per. in the original game you just got the keys the instant you downloaded the DLC, even.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'll always remember my time in the soft-ban server where I invaded Belfry Luna and got a squad of three identical Senator Armstrongs all using the Vanquisher's Seal, that an A+ gimmick

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

As long as there are people who have trouble with the Fume Knight I will keep quoting myself from 2015.

My experience beating Fume Knight with any build: STR build? Estoc. DEX build? Rapier. Anything else? Estoc or Rapier.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

raditts posted:

I came across someone whose name was the n word with 9's in place of the g's and I took particular pleasure in caving his skull in.
Well done!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I forgot that (a) you have to finish all three Dark Chasms of Old to face Darklurker and (b) there's a loading screen when you drop into the fight. I wasted my only two brightbugs on top of some other buffs. I did beat it after a few tries.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Fume knight was surprisingly easy to beat with fists, probably because by the time I got to him I'd been doing nothing but punching and rolling the whole game so I'd gotten pretty good at it. Also punches are pretty quick, you just have to be a lot closer

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

raditts posted:

I'm on my first ds2 run and i think (hope?) I'm close to the end at this point since I've lit all the primal fires, is this like ds1 dlc wise where it's all hidden and you have to jump through some ridiculous hoops to get to it before you defeat the main final boss?

You should have seen at least two of the three DLC entrances so far based on having lit the primal bonfires. Each entrance needs a key item - well, technically you can go into the DLC area without, but there will be a locked door immediately. One of these keys is basically impossible to miss on the main game path, the other two are a bit out of the way.

As was said, this game doesn't force you into an end-state after the final boss like Dark Souls 1 does. So you can do the DLC before or after as you like.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Also lighting all the primal fires isn't exactly being close to the endgame, it's more like having rung both Bells of Awakening in DS1.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gully Foyle posted:

You should have seen at least two of the three DLC entrances so far based on having lit the primal bonfires. Each entrance needs a key item - well, technically you can go into the DLC area without, but there will be a locked door immediately. One of these keys is basically impossible to miss on the main game path, the other two are a bit out of the way.

As was said, this game doesn't force you into an end-state after the final boss like Dark Souls 1 does. So you can do the DLC before or after as you like.

Ah, are they the snakey fountain teleport things after a couple of the bosses that take you to a room with a locked door and a bunch of pedestals with messages on them?

Djeser posted:

Also lighting all the primal fires isn't exactly being close to the endgame, it's more like having rung both Bells of Awakening in DS1.

well poo poo, I'm like level 100 now and I haven't even done any grinding (aside from combing every area to find the path to the iron keep fire, because "maybe one of the paths I went on can transform into another path" was the last thing on my mind)

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 4, 2021

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Levels are cheap in DS2, you can easily be SL150 by endgame unlike the other games

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

Thank you, this plus a lot of practice got me there eventually. I think the big difference from other bosses is that the dodge timings are particularly wacky, and you have to dodge in the right direction.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Fume knight was surprisingly easy to beat with fists, probably because by the time I got to him I'd been doing nothing but punching and rolling the whole game so I'd gotten pretty good at it. Also punches are pretty quick, you just have to be a lot closer

Bone Fist(s) or Caestuses? My return to the fight proved I had a better sense of how to approach it compared to my first time, but trying to land bone fist hits was a pain in the rear end and I still ultimately had to summon for him. Though I think that was also straight-up the last boss I bothered to do before deciding I didn't actually feel like 100%ing my punch run.

On the other hand (fist), I remember watching Smight just barrel through the fight with dual caestuses. (Helped by Raime deciding to keep his sword broken for the entire fight so no second phase.)

pointsofdata posted:

and you have to dodge in the right direction.

I've fallen into the trap, and I've seen other people fall into it as well; it's super easy to get lazy and go "well I pushed the dodge button that means I'm safe, right?" yeah no lots of bosses and enemies will hand you your rear end for doing that. Really phase 1 of Fume Knight is all about kicking you in the dick for thinking dodging begins and ends with pushing the button.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

While we're talking about fume knight:

for reasons that i can't entirely articulate, I've always really appreciated how he's simply named "Fume Knight." like, they could've easily given him something like "Raime, Traitor to the Kingdom" or whatever, much like velstadt is titled, but that would somehow feel much less cool to me.

maybe it's just because it reminds me of demon's souls, with its boss names like "tower knight" but i do like that you have to actually put it together yourself who exactly this guy is even if it's as simple as reading a few of his item descriptions.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's because he abandoned his previous identity to get really weird with the manus lady

It's kind of a cool inversion on the usual epic From superboss, the first time you fight him you might not even think he's going to be the big guy of the DLC going by the name and surroundings, he sounds like a warmup act for someone bigger and meaner afterwards

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Also unlike the other DLC, he’s almost certain to be the first boss you fight, being posed as the Aava/Elana to the Real Boss.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Having played this game through about 30 times, I have no idea who anyone is. I just know that there's lava in the wrong place. Bearer Seek Seek Lest

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

goblin week posted:

Also unlike the other DLC, he’s almost certain to be the first boss you fight, being posed as the Aava/Elana to the Real Boss.

I mean unless you're including Blue Smelter he's guaranteed to be the first boss you fight because Alonne's memory doesn't activate until you beat him. :v:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Oh I forgot that. My DS2 nerd cred 😩

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Ether Frenzy posted:

Having played this game through about 30 times, I have no idea who anyone is.

neither does your character they're hollowed as gently caress by now

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

raditts posted:

well poo poo, I'm like level 100 now and I haven't even done any grinding (aside from combing every area to find the path to the iron keep fire, because "maybe one of the paths I went on can transform into another path" was the last thing on my mind)

I'd say it's more like beating Anor Londo but yeah quite a bit to go.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I love the online interactions in this game.

I was farming the Drakekeeper's Shield in Dragon Shrine as NG+ preparation, when I suddenly got invaded! I wasn't even human. The guy sees me fight the first Drakekeeper, waits patiently, then gestures to the second, and so on. He opens all the doors for me and watches me fight the dudes! It was extremely not what I needed (only the first Keeper drops the shield), but so cute lol

Then we had an honorable duel before the Ancient Dragon and I died, very not mad tho.

After that (still no shield), I saw a Dragon Remnant on the floor and summoned the unfortunately named Hollow Knight **llow K***ht. He immediately munched a grass, tried parrying, kept healing, super try hard. I mulched his rear end without even changing out my farming equipment (except for the Mimic hat), lol

Killed another Drakekeeper, and lo and behond, Mr. Knight's sign is back. Summon him again. Creamed him again (this time, I kept the Mimic hat on).

We had another duel, I gave him a chance using just a Dagger (+10, but still way weaker than my powerstance Fume Sword/Possessed Armor Sword setup), and he won!

And finally, I summoned him again, used my normal equipment, and killed him a fourth time.

To make up for all his lost scales, I summoned him a fifth time, and just kept my back to him, gesturing peacefully.

He made the "nope" gesture and Crystal'd out.

I summoned him a sixth time, spammed "I'm sorry" and indicated I'd be ready for a duel, but he just noped out again.

I'm sorry dude next time try switching up your setup!!! Your Murakumo was too slow!!!!

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Odd place for the sign. Normally you would place those in more active pvp zones than Dragon Shrine.
Maybe he was waiting for a friend for and some rude-lord kept summoning him. :v:

But really, you summoning some poor chap for six times is just feels like flexing on folks. In my coop/invasion experience i had some "rule of three" in place. No matter how funny you think gimmick is, 3 times in a row of trying to help/invade the same person is more than enough iteration.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 6, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
After watching a few lore videos I feel like this is a good summary of DS2's major plot points

https://twitter.com/JimStorrie/status/1403976939631644674

Dark Souls II - wives amirite folks

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

in artorias of the abyss we punched manus so hard he broke into like four different wives

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

After watching a few lore videos I feel like this is a good summary of DS2's major plot points

https://twitter.com/JimStorrie/status/1403976939631644674

Dark Souls II - wives amirite folks
:laugh: I mean, yeah that's pretty much it.
also: "Poor King Schmendrick. What a fuckin' simp!"

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

vendrick deliberately put like six bosses between his wife and him, i think he's volcel

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Vendick is an extremely divorced guy, Fume Knight is the horny simp

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dark Souls II Vtuber simp edition.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

saw this, thought of the thread title

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

hard counter posted:

saw this, thought of the thread title

amazing

And yeah not just Vendrick, but the DLC kings also all met their downfall because of their wives IIRC. Except the Ivory King I think? That queen was the Good One

I feel like the writers were working through some personal issues

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

amazing

And yeah not just Vendrick, but the DLC kings also all met their downfall because of their wives IIRC. Except the Ivory King I think? That queen was the Good One

I feel like the writers were working through some personal issues

The motivation of all the female bosses in DS2 can be summarized as "bitches be crazy." Granted, that's also the motivation for about 70% of the identifiably male bosses in all the games.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
I think Elana just wanted revenge on the Archdrake Sect, and decided to do it through a zombie army. Probably didn't appreciate you breaking into her city and killing all her dudes either. Nadalia... I got nothing.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

All the lady-shaped bits of Manus embody one of the aspects that's supposed to be fundamental to Humanity and/or Dark. Nashandra is "desire", which is why she went for the most powerful king and why Vendrick's stuff is all named '...of Want'. Elsana is "wrath", so her whole thing is vengeance, which fits in with Sinh being awoken by being speared and destroying the city. Nadalia is "solitude", which is why she was drawn to Brume Tower, as the king who had lived there had already died, and hence why Raime wound up there: it's a place for lonely people. Alsanna is "fear" which suits her status as the guardian keeping Chaos at bay, and being an embodiment of fear also kinda fits with being so in awe of the Ivory King's bravery that she gets a heel face turn.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a good thing the player doesn't have any mysterious woman of uncertain origins guiding them towards a purpose they don't fully understand. You might start thinking they have their own hidden Manus agenda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

yeah they just have a fake dragon that's shaped like a lady with feathers