Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What E3 announcement are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Star Citizen suddenly released 14 6.36%
Nintendo unveils the Switch Pro, Metroid Prime 4 is exclusive 27 12.27%
Bethesda announces Fallout 5, Todd somehow entirely forgets about Elder Scrolls 6 and is surprised to be asked about it by interviewers 32 14.55%
Bowsette is real and thinks you're doing okay 121 55.00%
Square Enix retroactively cancels your least favorite Final Fantasy game 26 11.82%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The music for Twin Mountains is some great "going on an adventure" music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0J4X9oq4Lk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
DREADART

https://twitter.com/VERTIGRIS_ART/status/1404891336441057290
https://twitter.com/click_burgundy/status/1404888620230529024
https://twitter.com/yrfreakyneighbr/status/1404841473045000193

Jay Rust posted:

How seriously does it take itself
As seriously as Metal Gear does wrt all the geopolitical stuff

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FirstAidKite posted:

Saw these hot wheels cars and thought it was a cute feature they included

And more related to games, saw these minecraft cars while looking up pics of the shaggy car

Also, peep this Fred Flintstone truck

Whatever you do don't look up the rugrats ones lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The United States posted:

As seriously as Metal Gear does wrt all the geopolitical stuff

With the difference being that Ace Combat seems to be more grounded (ha) in general, despite the superweapons, which are usually just A Really Big Gun rather than A Robot.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh no, my leader is a hacker...

Are they useful outside of the hacking abilities with the guns and stuff?

Really middling. Basically their guns work best if you do good at hacking but hacking is random chance and the damage/healing you do after that isn't so good as to make up for lost turns and since its on a timer if you need to react to the boss you lose even more extremely precious resource before needing to try and hack again. I did the same thing and made my leader a Hacker and by around 2/3rd into the game they just felt like dead weight. The classes are really and truly not balanced well at all, but making new characters is easy and quick.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I remembered why I got to the final boss of Digimon World Redigitized and then quit. It wasn't too hard, but the way the game works out my second digimon died just before I progressed the plot to the final boss and so I would have had to raise a whole new digimon just for one fight.

Replaying the 3DS enhanced version, I remembered a lot about the game so I managed to get a Mega on my second Digimon (no idea how, I think in this version digivolving gives you higher base stats) and so it lived five days longer, and I managed to beat the game. Or so I thought, until they dont even let you hit the credits and instead immediately thrust you into the new content, but after several instances of a character needing "time" to work on something and telling me to come back the next day, my partner Digimon has once again died of old age just before the final boss fight.

This one seems to have a TON of post-game content though including an optional 100-floor roguelike dungeon so I'm actually gonna finish it this time I think

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Waffleman_ posted:

With the difference being that Ace Combat seems to be more grounded (ha) in general, despite the superweapons, which are usually just A Really Big Gun rather than A Robot.

Ace Combat is like, “most Gundam series” level of taking itself seriously, except it’s kickass airplane battles instead of kickass robot battles.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/eIkwoods/status/1405310331665145858?s=20

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

In retrospect the Danganronpa LP's were the best way to experience the game. Given they're not actually very good

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

what genre is mid 90s chan marshall tho?

that's a Smog song, you buffoon. you absolute donkeybiter.

anyone who grew up in the UK in the late 90s would know Bill Callahan. like Will Oldham, we just can't get enough of sad Americans with guitars

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
see also: Mark Kozalek, aka Red House Painters aka Sun Kil Moon, who i think has sold about a thousand times as many records in the uk as in america

seriously we can not loving get enough of sad boys with guitars

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

In retrospect the Danganronpa LP's were the best way to experience the game. Given they're not actually very good
Are you talking about NicoB's LPs?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Whom. I'm talking bout orenronen

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate
There used to be a "recommend me a game" thread of some sort, right? I can't seem to find it anymore. I guess I'll just post this here, then.

I've been watching Tier Zoo's youtube video and it's been strengthening a hankering I've been feeling to play an evolution again again. It feels like it's been forever, but... I haven't been able to find any. All the notable examples I can identify are still like, from, the 90s? Are there any halfway-decent evolution games that have been released in the last two decades? Preferably something that isn't TOO difficult to get running.

And by evolution-based games I mean stuff that's more like SimLife or Creatures or or that genre, not games like EVO which are more "character progression/customization action games" (although EVO was pretty cool, if you DO want to suggest stuff like that I wouldn't be opposed). I'd like the evolution stuff to be the majority of the actual game, if possible? I know games like Spore exists, and I know of some other survival games that have cool domestication evolution mechanics, but the "evolution" elements are such incredibly tiny parts of those games. I'd like a game where the evolution is the focus, if possible.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

So actual prey 2017 thoughts and observations from after completing:

it's a good game! I had more fun than I thought I would with it, very clearly inspired by system shock 2, the ending makes a lot more sense when you consider what happens when you explore the bridge before you hit the endgame choices

Obviously the whole thing being a reconstruction of the actual morgan's memories in order to train a typhon with empathy, kinda sucks and is the videogame equivalent of "it was all a dream"

but there's enough hints here and there - specifically around the ending you get if you leave the station early, which I wildly misinterpreted to mean that Alex was under typhon control - that you're not experiencing what you think you are, especially considering the random typhon mind intrusions you get about being lied to.

Specifically though, exploring the bridge before end game, you find out that shortly prior to the typhon attack on Talos 1, every single ship going back to earth has a power surge lasting 8-10 minutes before correcting the course back to earth, on an altered trajectory, and they stop responding to hails - given this, the actual post credits sequence that the typhon made it to earth, follows very clearly from that point.

The trolley operator problem on the bridge, after finding out that a pod going back to earth likely has the typhon on it, hasn't landed yet, and has its self destruct primed with you given the choice to destroy it, or let it land, kinda falls flat given the above, especially considering it doesn't factor into the judgement you get about how empathic you were to others.

I do wonder what happens if you don't install any typhon mods, I was human entirely until the last five minutes when I bought a typhon mod just because I had shitloads of neuromods, only to be judge for having "numerous typhon mods"

Also wonder what happens if you go out of your way to murder every human you see and how that factors into the judgement at the end.

In conclusion, don't read the above if you haven't played it, but it's well worth a play if you can get it for cheap.

How good is Mooncrash...?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

loving lol to scott cawthon pulling the 'i have gay fans' card in his retirement announcement when basically me and every other lgbt person i know took one look at that poo poo and went :yikes:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate

tithin posted:

Obviously the whole thing being a reconstruction of the actual morgan's memories in order to train a typhon with empathy, kinda sucks and is the videogame equivalent of "it was all a dream"

Thing is that cliche has been done well a number of times, and when it's done well it can be really good... and I think Prey honestly did it really well. Pretty much everything you encounter happened, more or less, and the ending basically makes it MORE meaningful in other ways.

I also have a friend who figured out that twist in the early ten minutes - the simulation lab area actually leans REALLY hard into it, since the messages talk explicitly about putting human capabilities into the Typhon which, coming right after the fakeout that is the simulation lab, and the tests that indicate they expect you to be acting like a typhon, naturally sets up the obvious followup of "what if this is a simulation within a simulation?"

quote:

I do wonder what happens if you don't install any typhon mods, I was human entirely until the last five minutes when I bought a typhon mod just because I had shitloads of neuromods, only to be judge for having "numerous typhon mods"

Also wonder what happens if you go out of your way to murder every human you see and how that factors into the judgement at the end.

No typhon mods doesn't matter, and I won't even spoil this because people should know it doesn't matter.

There's basically a second "genocide" game/route, which is fun in its own way but not fun enough to go for unless you're really looking for an excuse to replay the game in a new way. Gives you a new plot and new dialogue but still mostly the same overall. It is actually really frustrating to pull off though

Mooncrash is... I'll let other people comment on Mooncrash, actually.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mix. posted:

loving lol to scott cawthon pulling the 'i have gay fans' card in his retirement announcement when basically me and every other lgbt person i know took one look at that poo poo and went :yikes:

People trying to meme to his defense of this person who was so good to his fans and getting dragged through the mud unjustly for teeny tiny donations are trash of this earth

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I have gay fans and if you'll please continue to buy my games I'll make sure to get rid of all of them

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mix. posted:

Who

E: oh the five nights shithead

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Mooncrash is fun, imo but it probably depends on what you're looking for in a game. It's kind of like a roguelite set in the Prey world.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Simone Magus posted:

that's a Smog song, you buffoon. you absolute donkeybiter.

anyone who grew up in the UK in the late 90s would know Bill Callahan. like Will Oldham, we just can't get enough of sad Americans with guitars

well i grew up in the us in the early 90s and i saw chan marshall play that song and two others, with her back turned to the audience, possibly drunk. she then left.

so i thought it was hers

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
having now played sonic generations and every* game released before it, i feel comfortable picking my dream generations level list had sonic team consulted me. assuming the source games remain the same,

sonic 1: eh it could only ever be green hill, i don't really like the other levels that much anyway
sonic 2: mystic cave (but chemical plant is super good)
3 & knuckles: hydrocity....or flying battery, it's so hard to choose!
adventure: twinkle park
adventure 2: final rush (but city escape is perfect)
heroes: mystic mansion (this is the first game where i'm straight up disappointed by the selection, heroes has some great level themes)
06: white acropolis
unleashed: jungle joyride!!
colors: sweet mountain (this one's tricky because it's gotta serve as the final level, and while i wish literally any level besides planet wisp had been picked it does make a good foil for green hill)

and if i'm being extremely indulgent,

cd: stardust speedway (the metal sonic fight is fantastic but c'mon give it a full level)
3d blast: rusty ruin
advance 2: music plant
shadow the hedgehog: mad matrix
rush adventure: haunted ship
secret rings: night palace

*close enough

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Play Sonic Battle

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mix. posted:

FNAF fandom seems extremely well adjusted

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

DLC Inc posted:

FNAF fandom seems extremely well adjusted

#thankyouforretiringbigdumbidiotman

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

New Super Metis posted:

Mooncrash is fun, imo but it probably depends on what you're looking for in a game. It's kind of like a roguelite set in the Prey world.

Honestly, Mooncrash convinced me that permadeath is a natural fit to immersive sims because of how the lack of consequence of failure (the quick load) completely changes how you approach these worlds.

It's unrealistic to have in a full length game, but in an expansion built around the idea, it was great.

SS2 at least somewhat addressed the issue by taxing revives (if you didn't save scum).

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Play Sonic Battle

i did! the only games i haven't played up to 2011 are the weird edutainment and japan-only stuff for really niche systems that would be a huge pain to get working. and the alt versions of unleashed, colors, and generations, which are next on my list

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Lol at the whole "it's just his beliefs!! you can't criticize him for that!!" poo poo, what a load of bullshit. Death threats and doxxing are bad obvs but these kinds of people who are jumping to his defense were never going to accept that scott hosed up majorly and that what he did was extremely bad and extremely stupid. I hate that whole idea that it's somehow okay to be a bigot as long as you are outwardly nice about it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Looper posted:

i did! the only games i haven't played up to 2011 are the weird edutainment and japan-only stuff for really niche systems that would be a huge pain to get working. and the alt versions of unleashed, colors, and generations, which are next on my list

What did you think of Battle?

I was the dumb sonic fan who actually liked the story poo poo by that point so I played through that game so much trying to grind for good fighting moves for Emerl and I was so excited about the secret journals each chapter had that felt like they were leading up to a bigger storyline but then none of it mattered.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

FirstAidKite posted:

Lol at the whole "it's just his beliefs!! you can't criticize him for that!!" poo poo, what a load of bullshit. Death threats and doxxing are bad obvs but these kinds of people who are jumping to his defense were never going to accept that scott hosed up majorly and that what he did was extremely bad and extremely stupid. I hate that whole idea that it's somehow okay to be a bigot as long as you are outwardly nice about it.

he doesn't think he did anything wrong, and literally ended his own career rather than engage in introspection

we'll all read about it tomorrow as "video game creator latest victim of cancel culture mob" anyway

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

FirstAidKite posted:

also the fact that a lot of them were convinced the information about his donations was only obtained through doxxing and not, you know, looking at a very public database for like five minutes

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

What did you think of Battle?

I was the dumb sonic fan who actually liked the story poo poo by that point so I played through that game so much trying to grind for good fighting moves for Emerl and I was so excited about the secret journals each chapter had that felt like they were leading up to a bigger storyline but then none of it mattered.

my two big problems with it were that way too many battles end with your opponent just getting back up for a round two where you need to get twice as many KOs, and that unless you are winning every battle without getting hit at all then it takes way too long to grind up a reasonable amount of skill points for emerl so early battles where you play as him are brutal. otherwise i liked it quite a bit! the mechanics are pretty cool once you get a handle on them, the writing is a lot of fun (and manages to feel in-character unlike other dialogue-heavy game sonic chronicles), and i love the aesthetic. shadow especially has some great animations

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i cant stop returning to new pokemon snap now and then for some reason so ive been working on diamond ranks and let me tell you, thats the real nightmare. everything else is just appetizer

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

FirstAidKite posted:

In Nocturne is alignment something that's easy to figure out or do you need a guide to make sure you're on any particular alignment?

It's funny because I've played a bunch of SMT games where managing alignment is a hassle, but what I've heard about the way that alignment works in Nocturne is near the end of the game NPCs each do a supervillian monologue and then look you directly in the eye and say "You agree with me right?" and that determines what ending you get.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
the funniest part of the scott thing so far to me was watching james sterlings subs plummet in real time again for not coming to his defense bc somehow they still have viewers who dont understand their loving worldview yet

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
you know the funny where youre not laughing and are actually really annoyed

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Looper posted:

my two big problems with it were that way too many battles end with your opponent just getting back up for a round two where you need to get twice as many KOs, and that unless you are winning every battle without getting hit at all then it takes way too long to grind up a reasonable amount of skill points for emerl so early battles where you play as him are brutal. otherwise i liked it quite a bit! the mechanics are pretty cool once you get a handle on them, the writing is a lot of fun (and manages to feel in-character unlike other dialogue-heavy game sonic chronicles), and i love the aesthetic. shadow especially has some great animations

I wish Chaos and Gamma had their own chapters. Also wish Chaos wasn't so poo poo, he's way too slow.

gently caress Gamma's suicide bomb thing though, that poo poo murdered the gently caress out of me way too many times. Also, Cream is like crazy powerful, holy poo poo.

Also I love how Amy is so delusional about Sonic's love for her that she manages to will a version of Sonic who loves her into existence to fight alongside her . loving amazing lol

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Looper posted:

IIRC in the first chapter there's a fight against Knuckles you have to do that's just awful. You've got like, maybe one working special move and a bunch of lovely normals. First time I played the game I only beat it because I figured out that Emerl Shoot actually does decent damage if you hit him with your body, even though you don't actually shoot a projectile.

I do think the game was really fun though. Customizing Emerl was a great time, even if the grind to get there was a bit much and the ultimate moves were maybe a bit too good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

FirstAidKite posted:

gently caress Gamma's suicide bomb thing though, that poo poo murdered the gently caress out of me way too many times. Also, Cream is like crazy powerful, holy poo poo.

I don't remember cream overall being that powerful but didn't she have like, the absolute strongest trap in the game? I remember it just absolutely murders people.