Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiHUG7irqr8

here is secureteam10 showing the same thing from a different viewpoint, very nice. I hope that helicopter crew brought their blue envelope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn9fCbfWH6E&t=20s

at 0:37: "houston, discovery, we do have an alien spacecraft"

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

"We don't know what these things are" is such utter horseshit when you have NORAD monitoring loving everything and the Airforce confiscating data goddamn gently caress the US

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiHUG7irqr8

here is secureteam10 showing the same thing from a different viewpoint, very nice. I hope that helicopter crew brought their blue envelope.

i wonder if i can foia the lapd for flight info, this is wonderous.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

The Protagonist posted:

:stare: that thing looks like it could do real and lasting damage if it so deigned

quote:

Shoebills are largely piscivorous but are assured predators of a considerable range of wetland vertebrates. Preferred prey species have reportedly included marbled lungfish (Protopterus aethiopicus) and Senegal bichir (Polypterus senegalus) and various Tilapia species and catfish, the latter mainly in the genus Clarias. Other prey eaten by this species has included frogs, water snakes, Nile monitors (Varanus niloticus) and baby crocodiles. More rarely, turtles, snails, rodents and small waterfowl have reportedly been eaten. There is a single unconfirmed report of shoebills feeding on lechwe (Kobus leche) calves. Given its sharp-edged beak, huge bill and wide gape, the shoebill can hunt large prey, often targeting prey bigger than is taken by other large wading birds. Fish eaten by this species are commonly in the range of 15 to 50 cm (5.9 to 19.7 in) long and weigh around 500 g (1.1 lb), though lungfish of as much as 1 m (3.3 ft) have been attacked. Snakes preyed upon are commonly from 50 to 60 cm (20 to 24 in) long. In the Bangweulu Swamps of Zambia, the main prey items fed to young by the parents were the catfish Clarias gariepinus [15] (syn. C. mossambicus) and water snakes. In Uganda, lungfish and catfish were mainly fed to the young.[12] The big beak is sometimes used to dig into pond-bottom mud to extract lungfish from their aestivation burrows.

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
I watched the first and/or second season. up the point Thomas Jane turned into blue energy being or something. Never came back after that. Thought the acting was ok.

Should I return?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

pancake rabbit posted:

why would you loving have passthrough on and talk over this footage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

why would you loving have passthrough on and talk over this footage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

....why do you think lol

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
The Expanse went to poo poo after it moved to Amazon. Season 3 was the best.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

nah the expanse is still good

the first three seasons were the best though

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Rah! posted:

its aliens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ5LpwO-An4

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Is it Galactus?

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

pancake rabbit posted:

STS 117 was flown by Atlantis not Discovery.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

this story is spooky

https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/nzworx/close_encounter_with_ufo_northern_ca_1978/

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Source4Leko posted:

STS 117 was flown by Atlantis not Discovery.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Delta-Wye posted:

ufo thread making me doubt my grounding in reality again. youtube comments... that are good??!? what reality is this?

im really digging this one, looks a lot like the ball ufo that pilot buzzed

I am very suspicious of these because of jj abrams UFO "documentary" and also because multiple viewpoint sightings have been spoofed to promote movies/etc before. Eric Alley's account was made the day the video was uploaded, for example.

Many of the other people who commented that they'd seen the same thing have regular channels, though. I won't say it's bullshit outright.

WEH has issued a correction as of 05:10 on Jun 17, 2021

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

i have been bamboozled and i do not like it

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

WEH posted:

I am very suspicious of these because of jj abrams UFO "documentary" and also because multiple viewpoint sightings have been spoofed to promote movies/etc before. Eric Alley's account was made the day the video was uploaded, for example.

Many of the other people who commented that they'd seen the same thing have regular channels, though. I won't say it's bullshit outright.

the vid is from 2017

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Reddit's ufo channel(s) have been suspect since mysterious universe promoted them over a decade ago

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Bamboozled

Inspector Hound has issued a correction as of 12:51 on Jun 17, 2021

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

pancake rabbit posted:

i have been bamboozled and i do not like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=989-7xsRLR4

/luck-ishly: aliens, aliens, aliens, no bamboozle!

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Bullfrog posted:

the vid is from 2017

yes?

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

ah, maybe i misunderstood. i thought you were saying you didn't trust the vid because of the JJ abrams doc coming out soon and maybe it was a viral campaign. my b

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

can't you pull up the flight logs from that chopper? Foia!!!!

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Bullfrog posted:

ah, maybe i misunderstood. i thought you were saying you didn't trust the vid because of the JJ abrams doc coming out soon and maybe it was a viral campaign. my b

That is what I was suggesting, I just assumed that the original release date for the UFO doc was 2020, which obv didn't come to pass.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

WEH posted:

That is what I was suggesting, I just assumed that the original release date for the UFO doc was 2020, which obv didn't come to pass.

so what, it's a hot air balloon, or the amateur footage is faked?

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

it's weird that it doesn't seem to be moving that much, but I actually do think it's most likely a balloon. but they need to get the loving chopper vid.

to me, the credible ufo sightings include behavior where the ufo is moving erratically or seemingly calculating its movements. If that was an alien ship the pilot must have fallen asleep after drinking too much glorblegulps

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Google Butt posted:

so what, it's a hot air balloon, or the amateur footage is faked?

I said I'm not discounting the videos outright! But if you've seen any of... anything abrams has been involved in, them being viral videos is not a crazy position to take.

WEH has issued a correction as of 05:51 on Jun 17, 2021

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

imagine waking up hungover in your ship and realizing you've been hovering over an urban area without cloaking for the past 30 mins.

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

Rah! posted:

UFOs are proven as real

the question is, what are they

...but the easy answer, that its secret tech/a psy op, doesn't seem to make much sense when you take all the decades (if not centuries) of consistent reports into account, along with new navy data to go along with it all (radar returns, video, etc), and when you consider that there appears to be nothing to gain if it is a psyop. It just makes America (or China, or any country that has acknowledged the existence of UFOs) appear like weaklings who can get dunked on by high tech or demonic sky orbs and/or idiots who constantly get confused and terrified by birds and balloons, while their sensors simultaneously malfunction, and they're all too loving dumb to realize it until some random untrained youtube nerd points it out lol. Not saying any of that is impossible. But loving aliens aren't impossible either, and don't require a comedy of 420 errors to be real lol

yeah so, I’m of the same mind. with respect to the Nimitz encounter, you have

- multiple corroborated eye witness accounts from pilots

- multiple corroborated readings from both planes and ship-based sensors/radar

- statements expressing confidence that whatever it is is, it’s “technology” and not natural phenomena (with all the implications that come with the use of that particular word)

- statements expressing confidence that whatever it is isn’t Chinese/Russian/US tech

and some fuzzy plane-cam video, which is really just a supporting footnote to the radar/sensor information.

so either someone has created physics-defying super-tech beyond anything considered possible under the nose of the US intelligence/military apparatus.
Or, it is the result of an implausibly extreme level of incompetence and multiple state-of-the-art systems loving up simultaneously.
Or, it’s all a complete but, like, weirdly tepid fabrication, only convincing to nerds who bother to read supporting text, for an opaque agenda, to achieve ????, all while making the US look weak.
Or, it actually is what the released information and assorted statements, in sum, are saying it is: crazy advanced, non-terrestrial tech.

which has all been said and I think I just basically rephrased your post. needed to clarify my thoughts, I guess.

I kinda expect the forthcoming public statement will probably just be “we don’t know what it is” and, if pressed about the obvious conclusions, they will bullshit like “we won’t speculate as to the nature of blah blah blah”. which, I think, would be a poor decision given what they’ve released so far, if the goal was to clarify...whatever. but, it’s not like they’re under any obligation to be internally consistent with past info/statements, or humor speculation about what it all suggests.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

On top of all that, there are sightings potentially going back a hundred-odd years that corroborate just the tic tac (nimitz)-like encounters.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

so the somebody else’s problem field does exist

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Bullfrog posted:

imagine waking up hungover in your ship and realizing you've been hovering over an urban area without cloaking for the past 30 mins.

And then you look at the news and the internet and the locals are blaming it on a balloon, cloud or bird

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

WEH posted:

On top of all that, there are sightings potentially going back a hundred-odd years that corroborate just the tic tac (nimitz)-like encounters.

Scientists suspected birds first evolved at least hundreds of years ago

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

PawParole posted:

Scientists suspected birds first evolved at least hundreds of years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGgI6qsg_kc

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
nvm

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

drat...its wild that the aliens and real, and here, haha

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

thats rad, i love irreverent old dudes

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Delta-Wye posted:

thats rad, i love irreverent old dudes

its such a good joke told well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

So the other obvious reason for the US to hide their knowledge of ufos is because you recognize the enormous potential advantage to be gained by being the first country to reverse engineer a craft. Announcing them officially gives an immediate green light to every other country that there's this huge new research path to be developed either by investing in detection or, worse, programs to shoot objects down.