Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Casey Finnigan posted:

I don't think Horikoshi had a plan when he started writing MHA and I don't think he has one now.

He said he had an ending he was pacing towards. Then the insane international success came and they begged him to add more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

horikoshi just made mha on a whim because he's a weeb for american superheroes and had a bunch of character designs he could reuse from oumagadoki zoo

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Josh Christ posted:

gloriously hot take but i think the vast majority of shonen jump writers don't have a plan at the start. one piece might have, but given how many of those get cancelled early, and how many are chasing trends trying to stay alive etc, it wouldn't surprise me that the idea is "do well enough to stay around, figure it out after that"

*all of Bakuman goes here*

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/GDM_wakwak/status/1403445473533255680

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Lostconfused posted:

*all of Bakuman goes here*

I'm begging a friend to cover bakuman on their podcast where people introduce Marvel comics writer and indie comics artist Chip Zdarsky to manga because it'd be a good way to explain how the industry works but they don't like it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Josh Christ posted:

I'm begging a friend to cover bakuman on their podcast where people introduce Marvel comics writer and indie comics artist Chip Zdarsky to manga because it'd be a good way to explain how the industry works but they don't like it

TBF, there's a lot about Bakuman that's none too likeable.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Walrus posted:

TBF, there's a lot about Bakuman that's none too likeable.

Yeah it's completely fair but I want them to do like, the first two volumes just because it's a really good high level explainer of how Jump works

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

MHA had a winning formula with "school for superheroes" but the school stuff was always far in the background. Especially after the majority of Deku's classmates turn out to pretty much be irrelevant.

I don't think Horikoshi had a plan when he started writing MHA and I don't think he has one now.

i dont care about the main plot in MHA, i just want to see more quirks, and cool innovative uses of already existing ones. i could watch a million episodes of the "filler" we just watched where its just different combinations of heroes duking it out. thats the Good poo poo for me

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The bits that were deku learning to use One For All without dying were fun too, and I was looking forward to getting shorter versions of that with his new powers (which I broadly speaking do not like) and then they were just like yeah gently caress it he can do all the things

It feels like it's moving into endgame quickly, probably another year or two

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Maya Fey posted:

now that it's ended im reading through attack on titan and it's probably the worst manga ive ever read, just terrible on every level, the art, the story, the dialogue, the characters everything, and it's somehow one of the most popular franchises of all time. and yes it is the children who are wrong

you should have read muv-luv instead

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/Kojima_Hideo/status/1404424805093236740?s=20

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Stairmaster posted:

you should have read muv-luv instead

reading the synopsis and going through the mcmahon gif stages

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MGS is getting an Gundam crossover?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Zone of the Enders is Kojima's Gundam fanfic.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
https://twitter.com/DarylSurat/status/1404661093004423170?s=20

Thread title popped up again thanks to yesterday's discourse.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Mecha Gojira posted:

https://twitter.com/DarylSurat/status/1404661093004423170?s=20

Thread title popped up again thanks to yesterday's discourse.

lmao

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnQOO8Y1Ck0

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I was just about to post that!

is it time at last for a good Junji Ito adaptation?????

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I liked when the zipper jingled

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/zynzero/status/1404528289553653761?s=20

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

MSG: hathaway is the real poo poo, imho

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Bro Dad posted:

horikoshi just made mha on a whim because he's a weeb for american superheroes and had a bunch of character designs he could reuse from oumagadoki zoo
not really a whim, all his other series got cancelled early

animist
Aug 28, 2018
ok this is the book kind of anime but baki the grappler is truly indescribable

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

baki is probably my favourite ongoing manga but theres so much of it and it changes tone a few times before finding its stride as goofy as poo poo and almost untranslateable since the author is constantly making up words and using pidgin english

theres also the bit where yujiro threatens to rape hillary clinton and she's into it but it is a manga after all

e

Hanma Baki is where it became my fav, during the Pickle arc.
scientists have revived a beautiful caveman who used to fist fight dinosaurs, so naturally all the best fighters are being magnetically drawn to fight him and are sneaking in

whereas yujiro is the strongest creature on earth and just walks up to the front gate and this happens

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 12:59 on Jun 17, 2021

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Somehow the discourse has come back to that tomino interview https://twitter.com/KaroshiMyriad/status/1405622234656296960?s=19

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Gundam on Netflix means people will notice Tomino just like they noticed Anno a while back

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Communist Thoughts posted:

baki is probably my favourite ongoing manga but theres so much of it and it changes tone a few times before finding its stride as goofy as poo poo and almost untranslateable since the author is constantly making up words and using pidgin english

theres also the bit where yujiro threatens to rape hillary clinton and she's into it but it is a manga after all

e

Hanma Baki is where it became my fav, during the Pickle arc.
scientists have revived a beautiful caveman who used to fist fight dinosaurs, so naturally all the best fighters are being magnetically drawn to fight him and are sneaking in

whereas yujiro is the strongest creature on earth and just walks up to the front gate and this happens

His daughter does Beastars lmao

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The viz release of fist of the north star started and I'm so excited to finally read it without awful comic sans lettering and bad translations, it'll be a nice fill in while I wait for Jojo pt 5 to start

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah I'm sure Tomino is really concerned about Americans cancelling him or whatever on Twitter lol.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Josh Christ posted:

The viz release of fist of the north star started and I'm so excited to finally read it without awful comic sans lettering and bad translations, it'll be a nice fill in while I wait for Jojo pt 5 to start

I've been hearing good things about it, I'm looking forward to gett my hands on it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

net work error posted:

Yeah I'm sure Tomino is really concerned about Americans cancelling him or whatever on Twitter lol.

What was Anno cancelled for?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
honestly the best part about people finding that quote is they’re all going, “He’s right,” and, “King.”

the man is uncancelable because he’s unapologetic and doesn’t care what you think.

also, Hathaway does rock; the wait for the next one is going to suck.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

What was Anno cancelled for?

his whole back catalogue?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Southpaugh posted:

People hated the experimental film techniques he used in Love & Pop.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Southpaugh posted:

Ah, so he was cancelled by Philistines.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The article is in reference to the batman cunnillingus debate

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Josh Christ posted:

can’t wait to see haras art not after it’s been scanned on some nerds scanner

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Ah, so he was cancelled by Philistines.

Obviously.

Gripweed posted:

People hated the experimental film techniques he used in Love & Pop.

I giggled far too much at this.

It's been said a million times but watch Annos Shin Godzilla it loving rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qX1ZU3jcfU

Southpaugh has issued a correction as of 17:30 on Jun 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Good soup! posted:

I've been hearing good things about it, I'm looking forward to gett my hands on it

It's good as hell