Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Actually can y'all give me some insight:

Maskless kids. Everywhere. Absolutely everywhere. 3-9 year old kids. How do y'all feel about that? Because there's no way these kids are vaccinated, literally. And I honestly want your opinions because y'all are way more into this applebees okay poo poo than I am.

I don't have a dog in this fight for you personally but it seems like you're desperately projecting your own fears on others seeking validation and tripling down when you don't get it. Just my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Inept posted:

looking forward to your vlog where you find out that disney land has children

that's kind of what inspired the question. masks are not required in orlando's big theme parks anymore for vaccinated people, no requirement to show proof of course.

except there's a billion kids maskless down there on ages 3-9 tickets. so why not enforce masking on the kids if it's impossible for them to be vaccinated?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

why not enforce masking on the kids if it's impossible for them to be vaccinated?

It’s capitalism, OP.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Inept posted:

looking forward to your vlog where you find out that disney land has children

Lmao

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Reminds me of when the UK first started flying in their citizens who'd been in the Wuhan area right at the start of the pandemic and when they arrived at the airport they were met by staff in full PPE who guided them onto buses so they could be whisked away to quarantine

:thunk:

The bus company released a statement saying it was perfectly fine for their drivers not to wear any PPE at all since all the passengers had been screened multiple times before they'd been allowed on the flight. But don't worry! They also announced they'd be deep cleaning the buses afterwards! :doh:

Is the full PPE guy even wearing any kind of air filter? Looks like all he's got on his face is a face shield. In which case he's all geared up against droplets and smears, but wide open to airborne transmission (because they kept saying it wasn't airborne).

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

that's kind of what inspired the question. masks are not required in orlando's big theme parks anymore for vaccinated people, no requirement to show proof of course.

except there's a billion kids maskless down there on ages 3-9 tickets. so why not enforce masking on the kids if it's impossible for them to be vaccinated?

I think the serious argument is that children are really only a driver of COVID spread if they can breath on unvaccinated persons.

I was at a school district in California that was one of the first to go fully to in-person learning before vaccines were widely available. As far as I am aware, in the time that I was there, there was never any spread that could be linked to kids in classrooms or at lunch.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Fallom posted:

Who or what are you arguing with?

Thats the real question. Some of the posters are being ignorant assholes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Children are relatively efficient spreaders. They’re actually more comparable to (unvaccinated!) people fifty to sixty years old than they are to younger adults or adolescents, for the purposes of infecting their contacts.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m curious about the psychological effect of forcing small children to wear masks.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

MarcusSA posted:

I’m curious about the psychological effect of forcing small children to wear masks.

probably on a par with forcing them to wear pants

or shoes

or hats

you monsters

parents truly are evil

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

If there is one it is a whole hell of a lot less than being isolated during key social developmental phases or having their families decimated by coronavirus.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MarcusSA posted:

Thank you for your concern, Mr. Carlson.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Platystemon posted:

Children are relatively efficient spreaders. They’re actually more comparable to (unvaccinated!) people fifty to sixty years old than they are to younger adults or adolescents, for the purposes of infecting their contacts.
Yeah this is unsurprising, kids love to touch and breathe on their parents and other kids. But there doesn't seem to be anything biologically which makes them more susceptible.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Helith posted:

or shoes

or hats

you monsters

parents truly are evil

Kids really hate shoes. When will the abuse stop? Barefoot rights now!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Helith posted:

or shoes

or hats

you monsters

parents truly are evil

Yes it’s definitely the same thing as those.

Platystemon posted:

Thank you for your concern, Mr. Carlson.

It’s a perfectly valid question.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

I read this thread when I see a bunch of new posts because I think, "oh man, maybe there's some kind of news I should read about," but then it's like 4 pages of conspiracy theories or someone trying to bootstrap a statistics class via irritating arguments.

This thread is like fly paper for those that got more mentally ill during quarantine. So I guess that's why I'm posting here.

Anyone else just going about life as if nothing happened? I have been and it's weird. I live in Missouri. There's like no catharsis in it.

We don't have to wear masks at work anymore so I'm seeing my coworkers' faces for the first time. I started this job like 2 months ago.

Well that's my COVID story! I hope I don't get it again cus it suuuuuuuucks.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

MarcusSA posted:

Yes it’s definitely the same thing as those.

It’s a perfectly valid question.

No it is not when taken into the consideration of getting covid. It is a very clear "I'm just asking questions lol" type of instigating comment.

You know exactly what your doing when saying poo poo like that, and if you don't then you're just a shithead.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

KakerMix posted:

No it is not when taken into the consideration of getting covid. It is a very clear "I'm just asking questions lol" type of instigating comment.

You know exactly what your doing when saying poo poo like that, and if you don't then you're just a shithead.

And yet

Buff Hardback posted:

I was at a school district in California that was one of the first to go fully to in-person learning before vaccines were widely available. As far as I am aware, in the time that I was there, there was never any spread that could be linked to kids in classrooms or at lunch.

So maybe it’s not as important to mask kids up.

So it is a question that can be asked.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

And yet

So maybe it’s not as important to mask kids up.

So it is a question that can be asked.

To be clear: we were generally enforcing mask usage, but keeping a mask on a kindergartner's face is also kinda a fools errand sometimes.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Australia's vaccination guidelines have changed yet again, with AZ now being recommended only for those 60 and over.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Masks are but a tiny pebble in the shoes of spoiled Americans. They are a unique annoyance to your life. They are not a great upset in the human experience.

Children’s experiences have varied widely across cultures and time. Children grew up fine in the Arctic, where they had to cover their faces lest they freeze and rot. They did fine growing up in deserts, with faces shielded from sand and sun.

Historically, it’s gone very poorly when one group argues that another group is raising their children wrong and something should be done about it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MarcusSA posted:

I suspect that'll largely depend on the parents' attitudes towards masks and the pandemic in general, and the media they consume in the home, all of which would be major influences on the kids' ability to deal with the situation. I guess another factor will be the degree of sickness and death they've had to deal with during the pandemic, and whether their parents' attitudes changed as a result. Each kid will react to the pandemic in their own individual way and I'm sure there were a bunch of kids whose parents kept yelling "It's just the flu bro" the entire time but then the schools made them wear masks and their grandparents and uncles and aunts kept dropping dead and they knew some really bad poo poo was going down but they weren't able to talk about it at home which massively increased their psychological burden.

I grew up in the 70s during the Cold War when the media kept reminding us that we could all die in a nuclear holocaust any day (or satanists might kidnap us. LOL), kids today are living through climate change where the media is constantly reminding them that the earth is going to become increasingly unlivable during their lifetime. They no doubt have a whole slew of psychological burdens to deal with and in many cases I'm sure that facemasks were just another thing to add to the growing list.

Buff Hardback posted:

I think the serious argument is that children are really only a driver of COVID spread if they can breath on unvaccinated persons.

I note that you worded that very carefully. Did they actually test all the kids in the classes if there was an outbreak?

KakerMix posted:

Also there's been many many media commentators who have been using hypothetical suicide rate increases and child trauma as a cudgel to argue against lockdowns and restrictions which were very obvious bad faith/concern troll arguments. It's a deeply politicized topic of discussion, as was pretty much every aspect of the pandemic.
(If anyone can show me evidence that Tucker Carlson and his ilk were spruiking for increased access to mental health services for students and people in general before the pandemic I'll happily concede that their concern over mask trauma might not be bad faith, but I won't be holding my breath)

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 17, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I suspect that'll largely depend on the parents' attitudes towards masks and the pandemic in general, and the media they consume in the home, all of which would be major influences on the kids' ability to deal with the situation. I guess another factor will be the degree of sickness and death they've had to deal with during the pandemic, and whether their parents' attitudes changed as a result. Each kid will react to the pandemic in their own individual way and I'm sure there were a bunch of kids whose parents kept yelling "It's just the flu bro" the entire time but then the schools made them wear masks and their grandparents and uncles and aunts kept dropping dead and they knew some really bad poo poo was going down but they weren't able to talk about it at home which massively increased their psychological burden.

I grew up in the 70s during the Cold War when the media kept reminding us that we could all die in a nuclear holocaust any day (or satanists might kidnap us. LOL), kids today are living through climate change where the media is constantly reminding them that the earth is going to become increasingly unlivable during their lifetime. They no doubt have a whole slew of psychological burdens to deal with and in many cases I'm sure that facemasks were just another thing to add to the growing list.

I note that you worded that very carefully. Did they actually test all the kids in the classes if there was an outbreak?

This is actually a great explanation. Thanks.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

"In the event of a confirmed case, close contacts will be notified via phone from a district staff member"

I had nothing to do with COVID notifications and the process in general (and I no longer get there) so I can't speak with certainty if we were mandating all students/staff to get tested or not if a student/staff member popped.

There were 95 total cases from the time the Covid dashboard on the website started to now, and 3430 possible persons who were on school sites during that period.

3-9 year old kids didn't seem to drive infection with staff, as only the high school had more staff test positive than students.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Buff Hardback posted:

"In the event of a confirmed case, close contacts will be notified via phone from a district staff member"

We'd really need to have some better info on what the schools considered a "close contact" in order to evaluate this at all. There were school employees in the CSPAM thread who confirmed that if one student popped positive then some schools didn't count any of the other students in their cohort as close contacts because they were assumed to have been properly masked 100% of the time they were in class and seated the recommended distance away. Many many school districts were being extremely cagey about the entire process and it was super obvious that their main concern was figuring out a way around the restrictions so they could keep the schools open for as long as possible.

If you don't test for links then you don't find evidence of links, then you can point out "There's no evidence that infections occur in the classroom" and if anyone raises questions you can scream "Follow the science!" at them until they shut up.

The CDC recommendation that "There's no evidence that seating students 6' away from each other in class is any more effective than seating them 3' from each other" was reached via similar logic, and then school districts ignored all the caveats and fine print attached to that study and just ran with it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Also anecdotal, but the school where my mom works also claimed that it was never proven to be transmitted between their students in classrooms or at lunch. They claimed any transmission took place in bus lines or on buses or between kids outside of school -- where it wasn't their fault. Since nobody is doing any contact tracing at all, and certainly not to the level of "did he get it at lunch or on the bus," it's an easy claim.

And then they just totally stopped notifying anyone. They did that by redefining "close contact" so that you were only considered a close contact if you spent 30+ minutes within 3 feet with no masks. If you spent 20 minutes maskless and 1' apart in the morning, and 20 minutes maskless and 1' apart in the afternoon, all with a known case, that didn't count so they didn't have to tell you. Also, a face shield alone totally counts as a mask.

There are pretty good reasons for people to be cynical about "follow the science!!!!" now.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 17, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7TarriXFME

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Hey, if we're all gonna have paranoid freakouts, I seem to have developed a subclavian aneurysm since I got my shot 2 days ago. Probably 100% unrelated but it's really important to think the worst of everything right now according to this thread, so RIP my left arm, I wish you didn't get amputated in the near future. Thanks for nothing, Covid vaccines!

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I had all three of my daughters attending in-person childcare/school since July 2020. The school year started in September 2020, and was a private school that used a pod system where students did not interact with students from other classrooms, there were no rotating teachers, and masks were worn at all times except for eating (outside) & strenuous physical activity (basically when the kids were running around outside). The classrooms ranged in ages from Kindergarten to middle school, and no child had trouble wearing masks that whole time because it was just a part of what was required for them to attend class. There was no direct psychological toll as best as I can tell, and they were all much happier being able to interact with other children vs. being stuck isolated with just my wife and I.

The school tested each pod every Monday and Friday with pooled saliva tests, and if a class popped it took at week off where everyone needed to be tested individually and present the results to be allowed back in. Over the entire school year, 1 staff member and 2 students ever tested positive for the virus. In all three cases the person felt ill before coming to the school, and did not attend, and then later tested positive. Not a single classroom ever tested positive during the pooled tests. In fact, the strict masking, and social distancing requirements actually led to there being NO colds at all this year and basically every child had 100% attendance except for when they were out of class for other non-illness related reasons.

The school year ended last week, and all of my daughters were able to have a semi-normal life for the last year, and I am very happy for it. All of the staff members were vaccinated when it became available her in California, and my eldest daughter is now on the timer after getting her second shot. Because they were at school, my wife and I were also able to keep working this whole time which was good for our mental health and ability to socialize with co-workers.

So yes, it absolutely was possible to live a normal life, and now that vaccines are widely available we are able to have small social gatherings with children that were in those pods with our daughters and whose parents are already vaccinated as well as hang out with friends and family that are vaccinated. It's good.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Actually can y'all give me some insight:

Maskless kids. Everywhere. Absolutely everywhere. 3-9 year old kids. How do y'all feel about that? Because there's no way these kids are vaccinated, literally. And I honestly want your opinions because y'all are way more into this applebees okay poo poo than I am.

My opinion is that you'll feel a lot better if you stop worrying about stuff you can't control.

Get vaccinated (if you haven't already) and go out and enjoy life. The chuds are never going to be convinced to get vaccinated, it's going to take ages for approvals for the vaccination of kids to be processed, and only a fraction of the developing world has access to vaccines, so whatever new variants you're stressing the gently caress out over are going to happen regardless of whether you mask up or not.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lolie posted:

Australia's vaccination guidelines have changed yet again, with AZ now being recommended only for those 60 and over.

It has been loving great watching the boomers scream and moan about not having the red carpet rolled out for the first time in their lives, and it's going to be even funnier watching the 60+ cohort only intensify their tantrums

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Masks for children: traumatising, ineffective, lame

Giant inflatable hamster balls for children: fun for the whole family, immunity to airborne illness, :krad:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

freebooter posted:

It has been loving great watching the boomers scream and moan about not having the red carpet rolled out for the first time in their lives, and it's going to be even funnier watching the 60+ cohort only intensify their tantrums

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

freebooter posted:

I'd be willing to become infected with a variant that my vaccination was ineffective against in exchange for one year of America at large not fellating it's Boomer population.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

according to tucker carlson it's basically like throwing them into traffic on facebook live and cackling about it.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

MarcusSA posted:

I work with small children and I expected that mask orders were going to be extremely challenging and distressing for the younger kids. Instead, the younger kids had no issues with wearing masks and we're perfectly happy to romp around and play and interact while masked. The kids I know (and I know quite a few) adapted fast and with minimal apparent challenge.

Where I saw kids (especially 3 through 6 year olds, but not exclusively) struggle was with remote learning and the social isolation that accompanied lockdown.

(Please note that that's not an argument against the necessity of locking down, just an observation that yes, there was definitely an impact on children's social development.)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1405488004366581760?s=20

This sums up a lot about why the CDC is doing things right, even if it is setting off all of the doomers' alarm bells. Presenting the facts as accurately as possible and basing the guidance on those facts is superior to trying to be extra alarmist in hopes that your alarmism will somehow change the actions of people who were already ignoring it.

Also, we're now 14 days past Memorial Day weekend and the case numbers are still declining. It seems all the gathering people did during the holiday didn't result in any surge.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Castaign posted:

Where I saw kids (especially 3 through 6 year olds, but not exclusively) struggle was with remote learning and the social isolation that accompanied lockdown.

(Please note that that's not an argument against the necessity of locking down, just an observation that yes, there was definitely an impact on children's social development.)

It really felt like in most cases teachers were basically told "This is happening and you don't have a choice, we don't have any time to discuss it and we don't have any guidelines anyway so just figure it out yourselves" and just had remote teaching dumped on them. And of course they each had hundreds of kids to manage so if a percentage of them were struggling then they didn't really have much time to spend with them all individually and there was hardly anything they could do about it.

And on top of that many of them were forced to come into the schools and run remote classes from the empty classrooms during the height of the pandemic even though they could have done it just as well from the safety of their homes, and in a few cases they were even expected to teach a live class and a remote class at the same time. Also there were tens of thousands of teachers getting sick or just plain quitting and there wasn't ever enough trained staff to replace them so a system that had already been stretched way too thin before the pandemic was always on the brink of collapse

Of course the answer to all this is "Structured support, guidance and assistance on a federal level with concomitant funding to help it all run smoothly, plus additional infrastructure and increased budgets for additional staff" which was an insane pipe dream in 2020 Trump's America

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Castaign posted:

I work with small children and I expected that mask orders were going to be extremely challenging and distressing for the younger kids. Instead, the younger kids had no issues with wearing masks and we're perfectly happy to romp around and play and interact while masked. The kids I know (and I know quite a few) adapted fast and with minimal apparent challenge.

While I'm glad y'all are enforcing mask orders, I haven't seen a kid in a mask in three or four weeks; schoolyards/daycares included.

People who call concerned posters "doomers" are hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
*goes outside during a crazy warm spring in the american south*

WHY ARE NONE OF THESE KIDS WEARING MASKS?