Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

LimburgLimbo posted:

Wait are you saying some places leave bones in sushi because what the gently caress

Korean style sashimi has bones in it sometimes. They also like it to be chewy so it's usually a freshly killed fish still in rigor mortis.

I asked the chef what the deal was with the bones once and was told it was too much trouble to remove them.

E: Also you often dip it in toasted sesame oil and/or gochujang so you can't even taste the fish anyway. And it's often flatfish that don't really taste like anything. Korean sashimi is bad is what I'm getting at here.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pharohman777 posted:

https://twitter.com/ByChunHan/status/1404975822063104003

Lol, CCP is trying to whitewash its past.

One example is the academy tries to pin the blame for the 'maos son killed by egg fried rice' story on a 2003 Chinese officers memoir... published by the Chinese military's official press. They don't mention that last part.

They literally excised a quote by Deng Xiaoping from "A short history of the communist party" that said "Building a nations fate on the reputation of one or two people is very unhealthy and very dangerous". And they apparently stripped all the stuff about the cultural revolution being a disaster and the conclusion that maos great leap forward "Is a bitter historical lesson that should never be forgotten".

Says the piece of poo poo who sacrificed 19 million ppl to call one guy the n word.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Eh you know come to think of it I’m recalling when a friend of mine took me out for raw fish in Pusan way back (with his servant from his conscript days for some reason) and I guess it was like you’re saying, it just literally never register in my mind as “sashimi”.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I just call it Korean sushi or Korean sashimi because everybody knows what sashimi is but only people who've lived in Korea would know the word saengseonhoe.

What you got in Busan is generally the best you can get, so yeah. It sucks.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I still miss the Donkatsu Kimbap they did in Hongcheon, that stuff ruled.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Well if Koreans or Chinese make it, it's not sushi, it's some other poo poo.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Kharnifex posted:

You're gonna regret saying this after the pizza and hamburger derail starts

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Kharnifex posted:

calquing to korean is chobap, which you see get used sometimes. that stuff is in the japanese style, up to and includin narezushi if you know where to look

회 is just its own thing. it is deffo more for texture than for taste

this is one of my main complaints about every american cuisine i have tried extensively, which is about a dozen: texture is just a second class citizen in culinary everything

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Anything to get away from Chinese caricatures.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Best sushi i ever had was in rural Mexico

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Best sushi i ever had was in rural Mexico

Ceviche is sushi obvs. Got the raw fish and everything. Also the worst ceviche i ever had was some i bought out of the back of a black van in the middle of Sonora, I'm pretty sure the past decade since then has just been a hallucination.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Says the piece of poo poo who sacrificed 19 million ppl to call one guy the n word.

wat

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

ClamdestineBoyster.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
People use the phrase "word salad" but clam is "word bird flu chicken with shards of bone".

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Grand Fromage posted:

It's also normal in Korea. I once won a bet with a Korean friend when I showed it is possible to remove bones from a fish. Every Korean I know has a story of choking on fish bones as a child.

The worst piece at any Korean fried chicken place is the one that's just part of the spine and ribcage, cut at an angle so every single rib is like a needle.

When I lived in Korea, I was always impressed at how well people could pull the meat, and the meat only, from the grilled fish on the table using their chopsticks.

But to your point, also whilst I lived in Korea, every fish meal I had in a fancy restaurant with other people would result in people casually pulling fishbones from their mouths after every bite, and leaving a little pile next to them on the table.

And talking Korean raw fish: I lived in Namhae, (a small island off the south coast, about 2 1/2 hours by bus from Busan), and the 회 that they served there was top notch. They literally pulled the fish from the ocean, bashed it on the head, gutted it and it was on your plate sometimes straight from the fishing boat.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I had no idea bone shards was a chinese cooking thing. This explains why I had such an awful time in Malaysia as all the chinese food there was as if they just threw a whole animal in a blender. I get bone-in, you eat around it, easy. But random slivers and shards randomly spread in the food is insane.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
The bone shards things always annoys me as someone with a background in butchering.

Yes, it's faster just to chop the whole thing up, but it's loving annoying to have to dig poo poo out, and risk getting poo poo caught in people's throats, which I've seen multiple times.

My Chinese relatives say it's good because you know you are getting the full portion of whatever.

I don't get it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wait they're happy paying for bones instead of meat?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I'm still convinced it comes from stubborn frugality. If you cut meat from the bone there'll always be a tiny amount left on it - but if you err on the side of bone instead of caution, *taps finger to temple wearing a leather jacket*

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 17, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Butcher posted:

The bone shards things always annoys me as someone with a background in butchering.

You have a background in butchering? Should've picked a more appropriate username.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I'm still convinced it comes from stubborn frugality. If you cut meat from the bone there'll always be a tiny amount left on it - but if you err on the side of bone instead of caution, *taps finger to temple wearing a leather jacket*

Soup! Stocks! I almost never throw away bones without having gotten some use out of them. It's not like stock is a foreign idea, plenty of Chinese cooking uses it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Butcher posted:

Yes, it's faster just to chop the whole thing up, but it's loving annoying to have to dig poo poo out, and risk getting poo poo caught in people's throats, which I've seen multiple times.

I come from a long line of abattoir workers and butchers and the first time I saw someone taking a loving cleaver to a chicken in Asia was like being slapped in the face.

I couldn't believe this guy was just slamming the poo poo out of the meat with no regard for where the cuts were, just "no piece bigger than a child's fist to be left at the end" even when that mean wildly cleaving through the ribs and even the drumsticks.

EDIT: Here's an example of a careful Chinese cutting style, which still leave bits of bone everywhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd3npEWPz0A&t=13s

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 17, 2021

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I asked my MIL and wife why they cut meat that way, keep in mind they ran restaurants. The answers were:

• They always used a cleaver since time immemorial so it was always just faster to do it that way.
  • The Chinese use chopsticks so it's easier to just pick up the small pieces and spit the bone out.
  • They like to use the bone and even though there are shards, it's easier clean off the meat.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I just call it Korean sushi or Korean sashimi because everybody knows what sashimi is but only people who've lived in Korea would know the word saengseonhoe.

What you got in Busan is generally the best you can get, so yeah. It sucks.

I mean I liked it well enough, but yeah after drinking soju and using the sauces you’re basically not getting much out of the fish besides feeling the texture.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tarkus posted:

I asked my MIL and wife why they cut meat that way, keep in mind they ran restaurants. The answers were:

• They always used a cleaver since time immemorial so it was always just faster to do it that way.
  • The Chinese use chopsticks so it's easier to just pick up the small pieces and spit the bone out.
  • They like to use the bone and even though there are shards, it's easier clean off the meat.

It is also a cultural thing you could say about table manners: even in the fancy banquets or weddings I've been to you would have people picking bones out of their teeth, or after eating shrimp you would have your shell mound, making little piles on the tablecloth. Getting your hands dirty was nbd.

On the other hand, when I get a bag with chopped up duck head as part of my kao ya, I don't want to eat it.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I said Xi Jinpings son probably choked to death on the dog bone in his penis while he was trying to suck his own dick, right before he could pick the music for a derogatory fabric softener commercial from a cdrom with folders titled “down and dirty dad rock, new age amazing, and lambchop sings over hamfisted baby piano” and now that racist fabric softener will never know it’s true accompaniment. Got a problem with that pal? It’s a big loss for all of us. :shrug:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

this thread gets weird sometimes

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

I said Xi Jinpings son probably choked to death on the dog bone in his penis while he was trying to suck his own dick, right before he could pick the music for a derogatory fabric softener commercial from a cdrom with folders titled “down and dirty dad rock, new age amazing, and lambchop sings over hamfisted baby piano” and now that racist fabric softener will never know it’s true accompaniment. Got a problem with that pal? It’s a big loss for all of us. :shrug:

I remember reading about that in the news paper

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

wat

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hakimashou posted:

I remember reading about that in the news paper

More like the olds paper now buddy amirite? :smug:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I said Xi Jinpings son probably choked to death on the dog bone in his penis while he was trying to suck his own dick, right before he could pick the music for a derogatory fabric softener commercial from a cdrom with folders titled “down and dirty dad rock, new age amazing, and lambchop sings over hamfisted baby piano” and now that racist fabric softener will never know it’s true accompaniment. Got a problem with that pal? It’s a big loss for all of us.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I remember watching someone prepare a sort of chicken salad dish. They chopped up the meat, threw it in, then started chopping up the chicken bones and throwing them in. I was too dumbfounded to ask them to stop. There was also a street vendor who made wraps. When I asked him which one was the most popular, he said it was the chicken drumstick wrap. Just a bone-in drumstick in the middle of a wrap.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

If you aren't spitting out bone, everywhere, are you really eating Chinese food?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

sticksy posted:

Is it a racist caricature if this is literally what happened to me one time when I lived in China? Just replace asking about "bone shards in meat" with "why the gently caress are you drilling into my apartment wall at 630AM?!"

There was one of those Louis Theroux documentaries way back forever ago. I think it was just called "Louis and the Nazis," and he went and talked to that white nationalist group that was just two kids and a guitar, called "Prussian Blue."

The two girls are cool now I guess (or at least not nazis), and you could tell from the documentary it was just their family putting them up to this. Louis talked to the grandpa who was the original racist of the family. In a part of the interview the super racist grandpa makes a joke about Louis getting a Jewish wife. He starts doing a caricature of Louis' imagined "Jewish wife", I can maybe find a clip but it's almost 20 years old so who knows. You probably can guess how it goes without it, though. It was just super racist, maybe you wanna dig it up and say "no the nazi grandpa in 'Louis and the Nazis', a documentary about nazis, was in fact not racist" but I wouldn't. If anything the editors probably chose specifically that clip because they thought "drat, this is obviously and blatantly really loving racist."

Maybe the racist grandpa actually did know a Jewish woman like that, but that doesn't really make it any less racist, right? What we're talking about here is the same exact poo poo, just different caricature and a different group of people. Like, go have that conversation with someone in real life. Start a conversation about China at work or something and start doing that whole thing, and then say "no it's fine there totally are guys that are actually like that in China" and, hows it gonna come off then? Or go drop in any other race of people and do the same thing, see how thats gonna come off.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

So anyway, "Gutter oil"

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Kharnifex posted:

So anyway, "Gutter oil"

I have a name, jerk :mad:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Kharnifex posted:

So anyway, "Gutter oil"

Ya never hear about gutter oil anymore. I assume it's mostly diminished with how everywhere and actually doing things the police are these days compared to 5-10 years ago.

I still vividly remember seeing dudes scavenging gutter oil at like 3am on my way home from a club in 2009 or so in Hangzhou. This was when gutter oil was huge news in China. Two of my friends I was walking home with starting swearing at the gutter oil dudes who just looked away in shame as they gloop glopped up the sludge to their bucket.

Then we got really good noodles from some cart on the side of the road. Years later we would reminisce about those good street-cart noodles and decide it was probably the gutter oil that made them so tasty.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I come from a long line of abattoir workers and butchers and the first time I saw someone taking a loving cleaver to a chicken in Asia was like being slapped in the face.

I couldn't believe this guy was just slamming the poo poo out of the meat with no regard for where the cuts were, just "no piece bigger than a child's fist to be left at the end" even when that mean wildly cleaving through the ribs and even the drumsticks.

EDIT: Here's an example of a careful Chinese cutting style, which still leave bits of bone everywhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd3npEWPz0A&t=13s

Yeah I mean why wouldn't you cut through the drumsticks? Seems an odd thing to get upset about hey.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Nice Van My Man posted:

I remember watching someone prepare a sort of chicken salad dish. They chopped up the meat, threw it in, then started chopping up the chicken bones and throwing them in. I was too dumbfounded to ask them to stop. There was also a street vendor who made wraps. When I asked him which one was the most popular, he said it was the chicken drumstick wrap. Just a bone-in drumstick in the middle of a wrap.

Nonono it’s a drumstick rap

You rap into the drumstick like it’s a mic and when you’ve eaten all the meats like beats you drop the mic

Chinese tradition

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ili posted:

Yeah I mean why wouldn't you cut through the drumsticks? Seems an odd thing to get upset about hey.

Why would you? Especially multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Why would you? Especially multiple times.

Because it's a lot easier to pick up with chopsticks that way. I dunno what you lot are gunna complain about next, maybe we should be sure to coat chicken hearts in 11 secret herbs and spices before deep frying them too? Serve pigs ear with ranch dressing perhaps? Cheez wizz on the hainan chicken?