Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

bicievino posted:

56 with a 120 mm stem and almost no post crew #corgi

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Kind of in the same boat with hand and neck discomfort after my fitting. Did 80 miles on Saturday and lower body wise it felt fantastic - I think my legs are dialed in spot on, but I have a feeling I don't have the core strength required to not wind up leaned over on the bars.

Fitter said I should focus on keeping my elbows slightly bent and my shoulders dropped as I tend to shrug them up constantly so that's probably not helping either.

The puzzle continues! I haven't done core workouts since gyms locked down last year so I guess I'll start there.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
their bikes are expensive as hell but it is pretty cool that 3T is doing filament winding for their bikes coming out of their new factory in Italy:

https://blog.3t.bike/2021/06/17365/frame-building-is-coming-home/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I wonder if the injection comes from inside the core as well, like how they flood between the weave evenly.

quote:

And winding doesn’t like very “sharp” angles, so along the tube. Just think about wrapping a string around stick, it’s easy to wrap it around and the string will stick pretty well, but how do you wrap it along the stick?
"around" and "along" doing too much work in this analogy.

quote:

When you use dry fiber, you can stick it into a hot mold and nothing happens. Then you close the mold and inject the resin, at which point the resin starts the curing process. So you can produce frame after frame without having to cool down the mold and heat it up again.

Does this mean they can pop the frame out of the mold hot and stick a new dry form in?
If not, how would it save them time?

Piece of cake:

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Sounds like they're using hybrid resin transfer molding, which is when you combine traditional bladder molding with resin transfer molding aka dry layup and injecting the resin or matrix material in once the mold is closed. You normally inject from the mold body as the core is a bladder to provide the consolidation pressure needed to get good lamination and control your resin:fiber ratio. Typically you'd do a partial inflation of the bladder to start the debulk, inject at a specific pressure, then do your final pressure ramps in the bladder to force resin through the flash gap and into the flash track to get your final fiber ratio. The final debulk and compaction of the layup is what drives resin fill through the weave, as does the right flash gap in mold design so it flows at the right rate and all that jazz.

And yeah you'd theoretically be able to work with a hot mold vs cold as you're not doing layup in the mold, so your prepreg isn't curing as you work. I'm not certain here, but I'm under the impression most bike frames are laid up into the female mold halves and a thin latex bladder is set between them before closing the mold. I'd guess that 3t's using a silicone bladder that's more structural and wrapping directly on that, but they could also be using a solid mandrel and using mold closing compression to do debulk and controlling resin fill by injection pressure and flash gap dimensions. Either way because you aren't unintentionally curing your material as you get it into the mold you can work with hot molds, though it loving sucks if you're doing anything fiddly with a hot mold - burnt fingers for days. Temp ramp profiles for good cure are super important for most resins so having detailed control of your cure cycle is critical, they might be bringing the molds down to a safe working temp that would still cause a partial cure with their resin to get best of both worlds.

I'm not a bike or composites guy so this could all be wildly wrong but that's my guess from working on some vaguely similar stuff.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Post your 'posts

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Much like my dog presenting me with a damp sock and looking pleased with himself, I give you my summer bike’s odd suspension post.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

learnincurve posted:

Much like my dog presenting me with a damp sock and looking pleased with himself, I give you my summer bike’s odd suspension post.

that's a sweet colour!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Century done :toot:

So are my legs :gonk:

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Midwest ride?

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I would like to work my way up to riding a century - I did 40 miles last weekend which was my longest ride so far. Is there a couch-to-5k kind of recommended training regimen for working to a century?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shadowhand00 posted:

Midwest ride?

There it is! The "your elevation sucks" post.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

iospace posted:

Don't feel bad, here's my first century:

work what ya got, nice ride!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I had a super short saddle post with my bike. I bought a 10-15cm longer post so I could raise the saddle a 1cm or so safely without going over the max limit.

Weirdly original post was like 280g and this new one from Kalloy is 290g! For 10g extra I get all the adjustment needed. It was the only seatpost available in size 26,6mm and I paid like 13€ including shipping thanks to eBay's 5€ coupon.

Welp just did the same with my stem. Bought a Nitto 22,5cm tall stem to replace the current super extra short one. If the weight difference is so minimal this time too, I'm wondering why the bike mfg originally even bothered with the super short parts to save 10g.

Also my Ultegra BR-6600 brakes arrived. Looked and felt like new, works so much better than Shimano 600 single pivot sidepulls. Sadly rear has a slightly different reach requirement. While front was ok, rear needs 1-2mm more reach, sigh. Bought super expensive Bdop 7mm offset brake pad holders.

This bike thing is becoming really expensive! Well no matter, I guess it's better than spending money on old Audis.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 17, 2021

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Korwen posted:

I would like to work my way up to riding a century - I did 40 miles last weekend which was my longest ride so far. Is there a couch-to-5k kind of recommended training regimen for working to a century?

I’m in the same boat and would love any info.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I did the thing and bought the Pub 50mm wheelset.
https://pubwheels.com/collections/road-wheels/products/pub-50-road-wheelset?variant=12241526685805

Now I need to source some tires, innertubes, and a cassette.

Any opinions on cool tires I can/should run on these? The manufacturer says they'll fit 25-30mm tires, but with the caliper brakes on the Allez Elite, I'm not sure of how wide of a tire I can really run-- maybe a 28mm? Not sure about 30mm.

Obviously, I want some tan sidewall tires. From what I've found, my choices are things like the Vittoria Corsa G+/2.0, GP5000 TDF, and then I found a brand called panaracer. They have some interesting options: The RACE C EVO4 in 700x28 , and the GRAVELKING SLICK PLUS+ FOLDING GRAVEL TIRE in 700x28

I'm not doing any crits or anything, but a fast and mostly durable tire would be nice. Something that's not going to puncture super easily.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 17, 2021

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

poemdexter posted:

Somebody (and I apologize for forgetting who) posted links to a British group that has a training regimen to build to a 100km ride. Hopefully they'll see this and repost it because I want to find it again too.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

iospace posted:

Your century (uhhh plus ten because you're an overachiever?) is totally normal elevation, imo. Well done.

For folks asking about how to ride a century: do exactly what Iospace did. Gradually increase your mileage until the next step is "oh, I guess I can totally do this".

The biggest challenge with a ride that long is nutrition. "Eat before you're hungry, drink before you're thirsty." For me, that means from the start of the ride, every 30 minutes I both eat something and take at least one sip of water. It's very weird for the first hour or so, but it's hard to play catchup.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

bicievino posted:

For folks asking about how to ride a century: do exactly what Iospace did. Gradually increase your mileage until the next step is "oh, I guess I can totally do this".

The biggest challenge with a ride that long is nutrition. "Eat before you're hungry, drink before you're thirsty." For me, that means from the start of the ride, every 30 minutes I both eat something and take at least one sip of water. It's very weird for the first hour or so, but it's hard to play catchup.

Nutrition is everything. If you can ride 40 miles you can ride 100 miles, but you have to feed and hydrate yourself. If you get hungry or thirsty it’s already too late.

The other part is mental endurance. Mind over matter. Find the rhythm, settle in to a groove, you can do it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Korwen posted:

poemdexter posted:

Chestnut tree house’s 0 to 100km 10 week plan

https://www.chestnut-tree-house.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/100kmtrainingplan.pdf

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

highme posted:

Somebody (and I apologize for forgetting who) posted links to a British group that has a training regimen to build to a 100km ride. Hopefully they'll see this and repost it because I want to find it again too.

This one? https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/skills/get-started/article/izn20190917-The-2019-British-Cycling-Training-Plans-0

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Vando posted:

Post your 'posts

Post postin

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Speaking of centuries i have been trying to figure out where I can, ya know where I can actually ride said century. I live in north east coastal oregon where there aint much bike infranstructure and im surrounded by mountains.

Then i remember i got a 20 mile loop i can do a couple of times that is pretty close and has some biking infrastructure...

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

MetaJew posted:

https://pubwheels.com/collections/road-wheels/products/pub-50-road-wheelset?variant=12241526685805

Now I need to source some tires, innertubes, and a cassette.

Any opinions on cool tires I can/should run on these? The manufacturer says they'll fit 25-30mm tires, but with the caliper brakes on the Allez Elite, I'm not sure of how wide of a tire I can really run-- maybe a 28mm? Not sure about 30mm.

Obviously, I want some tan sidewall tires. From what I've found, my choices are things like the Vittoria Corsa G+/2.0, GP5000 TDF, and then I found a brand called panaracer. They have some interesting options: The RACE C EVO4 in 700x28 , and the GRAVELKING SLICK PLUS+ FOLDING GRAVEL TIRE in 700x28

I'm not doing any crits or anything, but a fast and mostly durable tire would be nice. Something that's not going to puncture super easily.

gravelkings are very good, especially if you're riding rough roads/hard pack gravel. They're very very popular in the gravel scene. I have the SK's (light knobs) and love 'em.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

Speaking of centuries i have been trying to figure out where I can, ya know where I can actually ride said century. I live in north east coastal oregon where there aint much bike infranstructure and im surrounded by mountains.

Then i remember i got a 20 mile loop i can do a couple of times that is pretty close and has some biking infrastructure...

Don’t do a loop multiple times! A century is the perfect opportunity to do a much longer route to places you wouldn’t get to see on shorter routes. Find a way out of the city and then crank on some rural roads that show up on the heat maps. The mountains are fun!

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Don’t do a loop multiple times! A century is the perfect opportunity to do a much longer route to places you wouldn’t get to see on shorter routes. Find a way out of the city and then crank on some rural roads that show up on the heat maps. The mountains are fun!

I agree but currently my heart aint tough enough to share the road with loggin trucks, biking though tunnels and and two lane bridges with no shoulders.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
If there aren't any routes you want to tackle that start from your front door, consider jumping on a train if there's service in your area, or paying someone to drive you somewhere you want to ride and pick you up afterward. This will open up a ton more options for you at hopefully minimal cost.

If local ride clubs in your area are operating again you might also want to check with them and put out feelers in your local cycling community for a ride partner or small group. There are lots of people who would love to show off their favourite routes and accompany them on the ride. Doing a long ride solo is really enjoyable but it's often even better with company, and also offers some additional safety.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

spf3million posted:

Don't feel bad, here's my first century:

work what ya got, nice ride!

Thanks. I was in post century exhaustion when I made that post, so to Shadowhand00, I apologize.

bicievino posted:

Your century (uhhh plus ten because you're an overachiever?) is totally normal elevation, imo. Well done.

I was planning for 100, decided at the last minute to change routes, and when I got to the final stop, I was 85 miles in, checked the distance to home, and found out welp, 23 to go. I rode around the neighborhood a few times to get the 110.

Re: food. I find I can get away with every hour for food, but I went ham with the food on stops yesterday.

Including this wonderful peanut butter sundae:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

MetaJew posted:

If these are your speedy wheels, sacrifice comfort and get tires that'll match the outside width of the rim. This is dealing in +/- 1W territory, but that's the kind of games you play when the toys are deep wheels. Narrow tires are faster -- that's the main optimization, and tires that match rim width is a smaller contribution, helping more when you have a crosswind where air more easily breaks off if it encounters a discontinuity.

quote:

then I found a brand called panaracer.

I'd personally just go with GP5k and call it a day, but Panaracer makes tires for a lot of brands and should be considered a top tier manufacturer.
Again, for a speedy wheelset, I'd sacrifice puncture resistance and go for something fast and reasonably long-wearing.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
not a great angle but here's my post post (including crappy loaner wheel)

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

kimbo305 posted:

If these are your speedy wheels, sacrifice comfort and get tires that'll match the outside width of the rim. This is dealing in +/- 1W territory, but that's the kind of games you play when the toys are deep wheels. Narrow tires are faster -- that's the main optimization, and tires that match rim width is a smaller contribution, helping more when you have a crosswind where air more easily breaks off if it encounters a discontinuity.

I'd personally just go with GP5k and call it a day, but Panaracer makes tires for a lot of brands and should be considered a top tier manufacturer.
Again, for a speedy wheelset, I'd sacrifice puncture resistance and go for something fast and reasonably long-wearing.

This is all true, but his rims are 24mm wide.

If you're racing, go 23/25 front/rear.
If you're just wanting to go fast on rough surfaces, 25/28.

I agree with Kimbo that the default assumption should be GP5k. Try it so you know what the "reference" tire performs like before you worry about trying other ones.

highme
May 25, 2001

ElMaligno posted:

I agree but currently my heart aint tough enough to share the road with loggin trucks, biking though tunnels and and two lane bridges with no shoulders.

I feel you on the whole not feeling ready to do a crank out a bunch of miles on logging roads, or highway 30. This site has a poo poo ton of different routes in Oregon & southern Washington http://www.omtm.cc/omtm-community with a "route of the month" that always looks awesome (if not a bit much for me). The May ride had 4 different variations, so I'm going to tackle the 35 mile loop at some point soon. I've fallen into rabbit holes just reading some of the route descriptions, the writing is entertaining. For example, this bit about the Falls Creek lava caves you can visit on the June route through Gifford Pinchot NF.

http://www.omtm.cc/june-falls-creek-hinterland

quote:

I’ve personally never been further inside than the range of daylight from the entry. The deeper interior is a darkness of entirely different proportion, a Prometheoid abyss that swallows 750 lumens like it was nothing. It is spooky AF, eerily cold, the realm of necromancers and mountain lions. That said, it’s definitely worth a visit.

highme fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 17, 2021

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I think I'll just have someone kidnap me and throw me out on the side of the road 100 miles from home.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

poemdexter posted:

I think I'll just have someone kidnap me and throw me out on the side of the road 100 miles from home.

"Hey, put on your bib shorts and stand outside with your bike.
Uh... no reason."

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Centuries are relative.

In the last two weeks-
17 mile ride with 2400' elevation gain killed me and left me hobbled.
42 mile ride with 1000' elevation gain, could have kept going all day.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Safety Dance posted:

"Hey, put on your bib shorts and stand outside with your bike.
Uh... no reason."

A few of people I know who do more expedition style racing are ex military / SAR folks and I'm pretty sure they'd love a "we're blind folding you and dropping you off in the middle of nowhere enjoy the race home and also trying to not die on your way back" event.

highme
May 25, 2001

Thanks, The one I was thinking of was what Learnincurve posted above you, but this looks good too.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

anyone have any specific IT band stretches they like? I haven't tried the new fit since I"m still having issues related to my previous fit being terrible. I have a PT appointment next Friday so I'm just looking for things to try until then. I tried a few side lying ones I found online, and am elevating my legs and using ice packs several times a day. Also I suppose ibuprofen would be a good idea.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

EvilJoven posted:

A few of people I know who do more expedition style racing are ex military / SAR folks and I'm pretty sure they'd love a "we're blind folding you and dropping you off in the middle of nowhere enjoy the race home and also trying to not die on your way back" event.

Sounds like they'd get along really well with Dutch teenagers!
https://nltimes.nl/2019/07/22/us-stunned-peculiarly-dutch-rite-dropping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

actionjackson posted:

anyone have any specific IT band stretches they like? I haven't tried the new fit since I"m still having issues related to my previous fit being terrible. I have a PT appointment next Friday so I'm just looking for things to try until then. I tried a few side lying ones I found online, and am elevating my legs and using ice packs several times a day. Also I suppose ibuprofen would be a good idea.

Just rest and recuperate until you see your PT. Keep taking the ibuprofen and keeping your legs elevated.

I mean this in the nicest way possible but please stop trying to find the cure to everything on the internet. Anything you do now could be making the underlying issue worse and prolonging the recovery period. It is okay to just stop. Take a week off and just recuperate.

We can make suggestions but we don't know your specific situation. We had no idea your bike was so small relative to your height for instance and knowing this now would have drastically changed my advice earlier in the thread. Your PT will be able to do a proper assessment and work out the best route for you to take, not people on a message board.