Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

So the other obvious reason for the US to hide their knowledge of ufos is because you recognize the enormous potential advantage to be gained by being the first country to reverse engineer a craft. Announcing them officially gives an immediate green light to every other country that there's this huge new research path to be developed either by investing in detection or, worse, programs to shoot objects down.

this is one of many reasons, it's never gonna happen lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

they will do the bare minimum to reduce the stigma that comes with reporting ufos among service members at most

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Large numbers of persistent rumors imply that the military has been reverse engineering UFOs, some with recovered materials and others given technology. Every time I read about the NGAD I can't help but think "the sport model?" Perhaps a random clue to "why now?"

quote:

"Superamus Perstamus Letamus" Did USAF's secret NGAD come out on purpose?

On 14 September 2020, during a surprise move at the Air Force Association Air, Space and Cyber Conference in Arlington (VA), Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics, Dr. Will Roper, stated that a Next Generation Air Dominance (NGAD) had already been built and a full-scale flight demonstrator had flown. Dr. Will Roper has been at the Program Executive Office for Advanced Aircraft at Wright-Patterson AFB (OH) since 2 October 2019.

USAF's Air Force Materiel Command (AFMC) released their Priority Program Reviews in July 2020. It was stated that high ranking officers of the AFMC's are largely responsible for studies and synchronisation reviews of support of special interest programmes like the B-21 Raider, KC-46A Pegasus, T-7A Red Hawk, various hypersonic programmes and the NGAD.

Roper added to his unexpected statement that “the NGAD has broken a lot of (flight) records and is showing digital engineering isn’t a fluke. We are ready to go and build the next-generation aircraft in a way that has never happened before”.

Lessons learned from the early stages of the USAF F-15, F-16, F-22, F-35 and various (un)disclosed "Black Projects" programmes indicate that engineers, large companies and corporations, the military and the government should be involved as soon as possible. For the USAF's NGAD programme this will not be different, but this era is all about digital design technology. The latter is the main reason for disclosing the NGAD project. The USAF wants companies and corporations to invest more in digital design technology and its clear that the NGAD programme is accelerating in its development phases. Roper said "in order to reassure stakeholders inside and outside the Air Force that digital engineering is producing “real things…in the real world” is the reason I openly discussed these very first details.

Scramble assesses that the NGAD mysterious full-scale technology demonstrator(s) and/or prototype(s) will be a crossbreed of the F-22, F-35 and various (un)disclosed "Black Projects". Although the NGAD statement of Roper sounds as a surprise and the development of the corresponding X-planes went fast, this programme runs most probably already for several years and the disclosure is a clear political and military signal to Russia and China. The additional infrastructures and ongoing operations (maybe even the F-117s are involved in these NGAD developments) at Tonopah/Groom Lake, are there for quite some years, and that’s for a good reason. There is so many out there in the Black World, we common mortals do not have knowledge of.

I WANT TO
BELIEVE

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Information doesn't go back through the keyhole. So we will eventually, incrementally, learn there is no hope of knowing anything more.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

lol if they're like hey btw our next gen fighter has an anti gravity propulsion system hehe

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Google Butt posted:

lol if they're like hey btw our next gen fighter has an anti gravity propulsion system hehe

Ok, so grand unifying theory:

So the US has been tinkering on high performance poo poo based on reverse engineered craft for a while. It's slow going with black projects sometimes, especially crossfunctional but compartmentalized stuff. I think WW2-ish seems like a good spot to kick off that part of the story as I think that would be where its most likely you'd get a shootdown event first. Its 70 years later! If that is true, I would expect China to have done so as well by now. Why not, right? They have perfectly qualified engineers to do anything we could do given the same help or materials and some time and would probably have also reverse engineered something interesting.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/30499/the-truth-is-the-military-has-been-researching-anti-gravity-for-nearly-70-years

The airforce has been sitting on multiple generations of planes based on weird gravity techniques because - why not? Noone else is doing anything with the info and the back story is uncomfortable. More time passes and things sort of even out and the status quo persists. Black projects stay black projects and life moves on - until PRC superdrones start flying around all over the place harassing the Navy. They can't deal with it, the air force won't do jack poo poo about it, so now there is the whole TTSA boondoggle to get attention out.

It's not a bad story to "why now?" Deprecate the F22, come clean, and now the surprise replacement NGAD becomes truly next gen.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

quote:

There have been hints of those secret technologies for years offered by insiders of some of America's most high-level aerospace research and development outfits. For instance, Ben Rich, the second director of Lockheed Martin’s Skunk Works, told Popular Science in 1994 the following:

“We have some new things. We are not stagnating. What we are doing is updating ourselves, without advertising. There are some new programs, and there are certain things, some of them 20 or 30 years old, that are still breakthroughs and appropriate to keep quiet about [because] other people don’t have them yet.”

With this in mind, it is possible that there are certain technologies in existence that once were, but may no longer be the things of science fiction.

brett tingley knows my number

edit: worth mentioning people that were (are/were/idk?) involved with TTSA should know what ben rich is hinting at, if it hasn't come out in the intervening 30 years.

Delta-Wye has issued a correction as of 09:11 on Jun 17, 2021

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

the f35 was a front

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

UAPiss

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
it's like schrödinger's competent government.

open the report and find out if they control the secrets of the universal fabric, or if they're just grifting

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

the orb ufos are just a 69th dimensional being trying to goatse the earth but all we can perceive is a weird shiny distortion, and occasionally a cloud ring

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Google Butt posted:

the f35 was a front

F35 is how you get your NATO allies to pay their bills, it's ultimately for expensive export. the best deals people, just the best.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Rah! posted:

the orb ufos are just a 69th dimensional being trying to goatse the earth but all we can perceive is a weird shiny distortion, and occasionally a cloud ring

i don't remember this su walker painting but im pretty sure it would be adorable

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

the f35 is a hologram

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Rah! posted:

the f35 is a hologram

f35s aren't real, those are just birds

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

they are a hologram projected onto birds (actually real and from space) in order to turn them into perfect stealth killers

NATO has been working with them for decades everything is going according to plan

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Rah! posted:

the f35 is a hologram

A hologram the kills people...hell yeah star trek is real

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Zisky posted:

A hologram the kills people...hell yeah star trek is real

if u die in the matrix u die in real life

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
brane/string theory says we're all holograms, sort of, i think

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

So the other obvious reason for the US to hide their knowledge of ufos is because you recognize the enormous potential advantage to be gained by being the first country to reverse engineer a craft. Announcing them officially gives an immediate green light to every other country that there's this huge new research path to be developed either by investing in detection or, worse, programs to shoot objects down.

like cavemen banging on a steam engine, trying to keep the other tribe from seeing it even tho it’s incomprehensible

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Rah! posted:

the f35 is a bird

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

PawParole posted:

the serial killer?

Yeah, it's in Chaos by O'Neil, cspam recommended. I'd get an excerpt but I've lended my copy to someone. Iirc it was during the one phonecall O'Neil managed to get before Manson died.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Oh man even the Mormons are looking for them

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/new-era/2017/09/look-out-for-ufos?lang=eng

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
They're actually not real. Sorry guys, my bad.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

1. The US is making it all up for more money (easier ways to do it, makes us look like assholes, etc)
2. It's US tech (incredibly unlikely something that sophisticated could be built in isolation/could be around for so long without leaking in some capacity)
3. It's bad data (too many sightings for too long, etc., we're assuming the readings are true and the numerous sightings are accurate or why bother with any of this)
4. It's China or Russia (see 2, though even less likely because of lesser funding and incentive to use/show it off for global stature)
5. ??? (It's aliens)

its pretty clearly 2 and 3 imo

the only defence people have against it being manmade is going "oh well this crank/spook said it went 50,000 mph and broke the laws of physics, sure a drone can do that???" but thats easily covered by 3 and i'd also like to add a 6: blink 182 guy is full of poo poo

the ufoailures are trying to get people to explain the 1500 nuremburg sightings if they want to say its a drone since they've embraced everything as true and have a weird unified theory about ancient aliens and astral projection lol

you try to say a thing in the sky that doesnt look like a plane and outmaneouvers a plan is probably a drone and they tell you that doesnt explain a 1813 fisherman seeing a triangle in the sky after 6 months of only eating rum and sodomy

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
how do you eat sodomy

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Communist Thoughts posted:

the only defence people have against it being manmade is going "oh well this crank/spook said it went 50,000 mph and broke the laws of physics, sure a drone can do that???" but thats easily covered by 3 and i'd also like to add a 6: blink 182 guy is full of poo poo

the ufoailures are trying to get people to explain the 1500 nuremburg sightings if they want to say its a drone since they've embraced everything as true and have a weird unified theory about ancient aliens and astral projection lol

you try to say a thing in the sky that doesnt look like a plane and outmaneouvers a plan is probably a drone and they tell you that doesnt explain a 1813 fisherman seeing a triangle in the sky after 6 months of only eating rum and sodomy

You're just straight up saying data and eyewitnesses don't count if they don't fit your preconceptions.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Delta-Wye posted:

Large numbers of persistent rumors imply that the military has been reverse engineering UFOs, some with recovered materials and others given technology. Every time I read about the NGAD I can't help but think "the sport model?" Perhaps a random clue to "why now?"

I WANT TO
BELIEVE

The NGAD p. clearly has traditional jet engines tho:

https://theaviationist.com/2021/04/12/new-concept-art-of-the-next-generation-air-dominance-ngad-featured-in-air-force-report/

EDIT: the delta shape could account for some black triangle sightings

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

I’m sure it’s a total coincidence that trump started the Space Force

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm with you to a degree but then I look at stuff like France's COMETA report from 99 coming to the same conclusions (it's aliens) without the MIC incentives and I get curious again.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

You're just straight up saying data and eyewitnesses don't count if they don't fit your preconceptions.

data and eyewitnesses is doing a lot of heavy lifting to describe 500 year old woodcuts

the recent stuff is all from the US government who is not a reliable source on the question of "is the US using secret/illegal drones?".
well the US government and blink182

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!
what is an illegal drone from a military perspective?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Love 2 spend hundreds of billions of dollars on fighter programs that last ten years then redoing it and sending them to the boneyard never having seen combat that an f-16 or reaper couldn't have done

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

what is an illegal drone from a military perspective?

drones that arent supposed to be operating in domestic airspace

or foreign i guess but the US doesnt really care about that one

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

drones that arent supposed to be operating in domestic airspace

or foreign i guess but the US doesnt really care about that one

This still relies on the US having perfected this technology over 20 years ago and globally testing it on unsuspecting allies for them to report (France, Canada, UK, etc, who have all seen similarly vehicles/capabilities)

Not impossible, sure, but certainly a violation of dozens of alliances/treaties/charters and what-have-you

Or alternatively, all those pilots/nations having similarly hosed up eyes and sensors.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

even if its nothing/human error, the fact that people have seen odd lights in the water and the air for a long, long rear end-time kind of hints we're going to be dealing with this chronically as a species and its something we may need to figure out a bit better than we're doing now. right... hmm...

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Pretty interesting the amount of people who refuse to challenge their assumptions of what something can be.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lampsacus posted:

even if its nothing/human error, the fact that people have seen odd lights in the water and the air for a long, long rear end-time kind of hints we're going to be dealing with this chronically as a species and its something we may need to figure out a bit better than we're doing now. right... hmm...

Nope it's clearly all birds just listen to all the "smart people".

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Missionary Positron posted:

The NGAD p. clearly has traditional jet engines tho:

https://theaviationist.com/2021/04/12/new-concept-art-of-the-next-generation-air-dominance-ngad-featured-in-air-force-report/

EDIT: the delta shape could account for some black triangle sightings

reading the quoted release, it sounds more like the program embraces modern design techniques that have never been used on a production run of that level. I am talking about not using 2D spec drawings and stuff and instead using a master model developed at the beginning which drives the whole production chain and everything is computer-generated based off the master model. Things such as the machine tooling paths to make the part, CMM inspection paths to verify the part, every step of the way it is all digital, start to finish.

I believe this is current industry standard for automotive manufacturing but aerospace is starting to shed the last 100 years of learned lessons and practices and embrace the digital age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
👁️

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNWNj0YoOs8