Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

also obviously need to ditch the stock tires but I'm too cheap to throw away perfectly good tires.

Just sell them that's what I did, got some Dunlops and sold the perfectly good all seasons that were on it. Totally worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
rear sway is a great upgrade imo

I did that and whiteline upgraded control arms and my gti is a hoot compared to stock

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
My GTI says it came with a larger stabilizer bar, not sure if that's the same as a sway bar or if it is at all noticeable.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Does the rear sway bar make it feel more planted in the corners? I love my GTI but it feels a bit less sure of itself when cornering than the Si I traded in. Of course the overall ride is way more comfortable, which is a good tradeoff for me.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
A rear bar makes the car a little less pushy and more willing to rotate on lift throttle. That might equate to it feeling less planted to you.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Just sell them that's what I did, got some Dunlops and sold the perfectly good all seasons that were on it. Totally worth it.

blah not sure how much anyone is gonna give me for some slightly used Falken Sinceras so I'll probably just try to drive over some nails or something

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I forgot to post, but I put Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on my mk7 golf R and had the alignment done

and it drives like a very different car. :D

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Deviant posted:

I forgot to post, but I put Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on my mk7 golf R and had the alignment done

and it drives like a very different car. :D

I'm trying to put off replacing the factory all-seasons until next spring/summer but posts like this aren't helping.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Do it. I had whatever stock tires on my mk7 GTI and put on PSS and it’s like you’re driving on rails.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Rusty posted:

My GTI says it came with a larger stabilizer bar, not sure if that's the same as a sway bar or if it is at all noticeable.

$860 seems very reasonable for everything in that package

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm trying to put off replacing the factory all-seasons until next spring/summer but posts like this aren't helping.

I only got it done because I put a hole in one of my dealer tires. I did not relish paying $1280 for 4 corners. But that much go needs that much turn and that much stop.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Styles Bitchley posted:

$860 seems very reasonable for everything in that package
Yeah, I think the DCC should be worth a lot more than that alone, so I think most 2019 SEs just came with that package. I am not sure they even offer DCC with the GTI anymore.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Do it. I had whatever stock tires on my mk7 GTI and put on PSS and it’s like you’re driving on rails.

I have PS4S on my other car and I'm still too dumb I guess.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

blah not sure how much anyone is gonna give me for some slightly used Falken Sinceras so I'll probably just try to drive over some nails or something

you'd be surprised, there's a lot of people that can't afford new tires and if they are in good condition and you price them reasonably they will go quick.

Mine were cheap rear end Primewell all seasons that were still in great condition. I just checked the ebay price for the same tire used and priced them right around that, I think i got like $250 for them within a week of putting the add up.

I also wanted a wider tire too, so I was able to get some wider summer rubber and it made big difference. Should be even better once I get the rear sway bar on.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

gently caress it you've convinced me, I'll sell them after I do the winter changeover

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
I have PS4S on my FoRS and they replaced a set of Cup 2s and they are 90% of the performance of the Cup 2s at 2/3rd the price and worlds more comfortable.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

prom candy posted:

Does the rear sway bar make it feel more planted in the corners? I love my GTI but it feels a bit less sure of itself when cornering than the Si I traded in. Of course the overall ride is way more comfortable, which is a good tradeoff for me.

Do you ever have to drive in the snow? I had two Civics Si - a 2000 and 2008 - prior to trading on my 2017 GTI. Both of them were a major handful in the snow but my GTI is like a tank through it.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I had snows on my GTI over the winter and several people asked me if it was awd cause of the poo poo I was driving through. I have Firestone Indy 500s on now for the summer and for the price they are plenty good for the street.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
The performance pack GTIs have a trick "locking" differential that really seems to chew through snow. I have no idea if the regular GTI's differential is just open, and if the VAQ diff is present on higher trim levels without the performance package.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I had an old MKIV Golf and it was a absolute yak thu the snow with winter tires. I can also dogpile on the rear sway chat. It really made the car much more engaging to drive despite it being dreadfully slow.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

WescottF1 posted:

Do you ever have to drive in the snow? I had two Civics Si - a 2000 and 2008 - prior to trading on my 2017 GTI. Both of them were a major handful in the snow but my GTI is like a tank through it.

I live in Southern Ontario so we get a lot of snow but my area gets plowed pretty quickly. Never had major issues in my Si except for once when it snowed before I had my winter tires on. I only got my GTI in April so haven't had a chance to try it in the snow yet.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

wzm posted:

The performance pack GTIs have a trick "locking" differential that really seems to chew through snow. I have no idea if the regular GTI's differential is just open, and if the VAQ diff is present on higher trim levels without the performance package.
VAQ is standard on all trims from 2019 on, maybe from 2018, I am not sure, but definitely 2019 +.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
I live in Northern Illinois and in 34 years of driving have always had all-seasons. They do a good job of plowing most of the time around here and since I work from home if it's that lovely out I just stay in. My GTI is an SE with the performance pack and still running the stock Bridgestones. I will probably replace them with the Michelin Pilot A/S 4s or whatever the current model is when the time comes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rusty posted:

VAQ is standard on all trims from 2019 on, maybe from 2018, I am not sure, but definitely 2019 +.

I have the diff on my 2017 SE with performance pack. I think that was the key.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m in the market for a new (used) car, and rather than take the insurance payout from my dead 2004 CRV and just put it all into buying something of the same vintage with cash, my family is strongly encouraging me to instead look for something much more recent (ie finance a $10-25k car that’s <5 years old instead of buying a $5-10k car from 2006 with cash)

So with that in mind I might as well follow my automotive crush dreams and look at a whole mess of used GTIs, right?

1) anything big I should be aware of going in? Model years/equipment trims to be avoided? Notable areas of wear and failure to look at in used specimens?

2) I know that at some point in the last five years (2017? 2018?) the optional SportPerformance package that added ~25 hp and some limited-slip gubbins (and that everybody recommended getting) was folded into the base model and made standard. What model year was that? How should I look for the addition/inclusion of those extra go-fast bits if I’m dealing with a used car seller who may not have all of those relevant details present in their documentation?

3) anything I should look for in terms of drivetrain/transmission health? What about mileage? I’d be looking at manuals, natch, and I’ve always heard horror stories about preowned stick shifts being sold or traded in by inexperienced owners who decided that manual wasn’t for them after they put 100k miles-worth of damage and wear on their transmission in <10k miles.

I have a good handle on feeling clutch health, etc in a vague sense but I have no idea how I’d meaningfully assess that in the context of buying a recent model year used car. TLDR I’m afraid of buying a car that feels good for the first couple of months before the clutch fails like a year into ownership thanks to previous owner abuse.

4) I’m seeing a surprising amount of price variation—A lot of that is obviously trim package/autobahn vs plaid/etc but it’s weird to see 2018s with <50k on the odometer priced at $19k and 2019s with similar mileage going for $32k with a couple of weirdo outliers (2017 80k miles, wants $23 grand). Is that just the market being itself during a particularly churny time or is there something else I’m missing here?

5) are y’all happy with your GTIs? How have they been holding up long-term? My family have kind of a history of being “Honda+VW people” so I have many fond memories of electric gremlins, complaints about expensive repairs, and the like. I’ve always wanted a GTI, but I also want a car that I can count on putting 200k+ miles on without it turning into an expensive lemon.

Posted this in the VAG thread, but this seems more appropriate.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Woke up today to find the paint on my 2015 FiST's roof just peeling like there is no tomorrow. Anyone have any idea how this happened? It wasn't peeling yesterday I'm 100% positive on that. There may have been some bubbling or something that I missed, but it absolutely was not peeling. Is it a defective paint job? lovely Ford paint? My rainX wiper fluid? The McGuire's car soap I use? The 96 degree heat? Some combination of issues?

I just want to know what it was, so it doesn't get hosed up again

Really loving pissed about this. I take good care of my baby, and I can't begin to understand how tf this happened essentially overnight.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Have you owned this since new? It looks like a poor quality respray to me.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
I bought it used from a family friend with only 10k miles on it. It is definitely the OG paint though.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’ve got a 2019 FiST and it’s very clear that this thing has terrible paint right from the factory. I might go for a vinyl wrap just to protect it. Sorry about your 15.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SEGA rear end Fisting posted:

I bought it used from a family friend with only 10k miles on it. It is definitely the OG paint though.

might be warrantable, it doesn't hurt to try

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

yeah, i'd be on the phone to [MFGR] care line about that poo poo, if only to release some impotent rage.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Welp, it's not warranty-able according to my local Ford dealer/shop. Got an estimate from an auto restorer for $500. But also I forgot to cover the spot before it started pouring rain today, so now I'm hoping the exposed metal doesn't start rusting before I can get it sanded and sprayed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it will be fine in the short term, it's coated

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lmao at your screen name

just go for a carbon fiber hood! no paint needed

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

SEGA rear end Fisting posted:

Welp, it's not warranty-able according to my local Ford dealer/shop. Got an estimate from an auto restorer for $500. But also I forgot to cover the spot before it started pouring rain today, so now I'm hoping the exposed metal doesn't start rusting before I can get it sanded and sprayed.

Call Ford's customer line and raise some Cain. They'll cave, if they're anything like VW.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Deviant posted:

Call Ford's customer line and raise some Cain. They'll cave, if they're anything like VW.

Yeah. Write to Jalopnik if they don’t.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Ok, it’s been about a week and I still definitely need a new (used) car. Do Mazda3s count as hot hatches? Anything I should know about them? I used to daily a 2011 2.5 manual for a while and that was a really fun car, and it looks like the newer models since then have greatly upped the QoL features and fit+finish.

How does something like a manual Mazda3 stack up against a GTI in terms of running costs? What about “sportiness”, etc?

What about the Civic hatch (non R, unfortunately) or even, say, an Impreza? Is there a better thread for these questions? Wasn’t there a car buying thread?

I’m at a point where I’ll probably need to buy a car in the next 2-3 weeks, and my family’s not super convinced that something like a GTI “makes sense”. Assume that any car that I buy will be driven equally as fast/hard.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 17, 2021

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

There is a car buying thread in BFC I think.

I can speak to that scenario a bit heh. My first car was a manual mkv GTI that I adored until I totaled it. A few years later when I could afford another car I got a gen3 mazda3 hatch, sgt with technology package absolutely loaded 3 years old with 30k miles. The car was very good at being an appliance and even slightly sporty, but I did not hold out my search for a manual and that really killed the car for me. It grew to the point that every time I left my house to go for a walk and seeing that car in my driveway I would be super resentful. I *think* it would be better with a stick, however I still don’t think it compares to the same way that I felt my GTI really encouraged me to flog it a bit.

I will say the Mazda was extremely reliable, but I did start with 10k less miles on it and was driving a lot less when I owned it, I put almost 20k miles in a little over 3 years and outside of oil changes and tires the only things it needed were a battery and a knock sensor. The build quality and touch surfaces were noticeably improved over my GTI from my perspective, but it was also a 7 year newer car.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My wife has a 2014 Mazda 3 and I have a 2019 GTI. The Mazda is a great car, good fit and finish and a great driving experience. It is not a fast car though, and not in the same league as a GTI. Maintenance wise I haven't owned the GTI long enough to compare, but the Mazda has only needed fluid changes so far and hasn't had any troubles at all.

e: should mention a buddy of mine has a 2021 Mazda 3 in that gorgeous soul red color, and it is quite a bit sportier than the 14 for sure. still lacking features that would make it a "hot" hatch, great car though

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m at a point where I’ll probably need to buy a car in the next 2-3 weeks, and my family’s not super convinced that something like a GTI “makes sense”. Assume that any car that I buy will be driven equally as fast/hard.

what "doesn't make sense" about the GTI?