Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Mustang posted:

I think it's interesting that you rarely ever hear any Americans claiming to be English despite the fact that everywhere you go in the US you're sure to run into plenty of English surnames. Maybe because English immigration is further in the past and "American" as an identity gradually replaced it?

Maybe it’s different in America but here in Toronto, a lot of white people remember their English heritage every 2-4 years when they join the worlds most hateable soccer fanbase so that they have an excuse to get day drunk. In fact it’s happening right now.

It’s not coming home you losers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Starks posted:

Maybe it’s different in America but here in Toronto, a lot of white people remember their English heritage every 2-4 years when they join the worlds most hateable soccer fanbase so that they have an excuse to get day drunk. In fact it’s happening right now.

it is also true that, unlike canada, while we're cool now most of the early portion of US history was defined by opposition and violent overthrow of the british

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

it is also true that, unlike canada, while we're cool now most of the early portion of US history was defined by opposition and violent overthrow of the british

interesting...I should look this up

In that spirit I here's a map of English ancestry in NA, with an absolutely terrible colour scheme:

Starks fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 15, 2021

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Starks posted:

interesting...I should look this up

In that spirit I here's a map of English ancestry in NA, with an absolutely terrible colour scheme:

That really shows how comparatively little non-English migration the South got. South Carolina is approx 40% black people, North Carolina 25%, Virginia 20% etc. So if you remove those %s from the total population an even bigger % of the white people in the Southern states are English ancestry than is shown on the map.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Starks posted:

This happens in the US but basically for every country except England

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Reveilled posted:

I think a major factor for Scots is our cultural cringe. Kilts, bagpipes, tartan and the Scots language are quintessentially Scottish things (we don't need to go into the victorian influence on tartan here) and there's a deep seated inferiority complex in many Scots that is deathly afraid of being reduced to that as a stereotype. For about 300 years the way to get ahead in Britain was to be British, not Scottish, and that meant adopting English manners and English culture. Being refined and cultured was not having those things, and even in recent years there's still that deep seated unease that those things are parochial, backwards. And unfortunately, it is what most foreign people know about us, so I think many Scots assume that Americans' knowledge of Scotland basically starts and ends at Groundskeeper Willie.

I'm simplifying, of course, it's more complicated than that, but I think that's the thing, Scots have a complicated relationship with our own culture where pride and shame mingle freely, and so when someone claims to be Scottish when they're really just of Scottish ancestry, there's almost equal parts mix of "you don't even understand the culture you're claiming" and "why the hell would you want this awful culture?". It's why pretty much every scot of a certain age can recite at least part of Renton's "It's shite to be Scottish" speech in Trainspotting.

So yeah, it's more of an us problem than a you problem. I'm glad other x-americans don't get this from their old countries.

On the bright side, americans of all creeds and hues mostly agree the english are effete assholes and a shite culture to be colonized by

ultrafilter posted:

Something like 1 in 6 Americans has German heritage, but you tend not to hear much about that either.
That's pushback from the world wars. Before that german newspapers were commonplace and folks still spoke german openly in the streets and even more at home.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 16, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

One of the main reasons that Irish and Scottish cultural identity persists in my family is that in both cases emigration happened because of extreme hardship and colonial oppression in the Old World - "we may have been forced to leave Scotland, but we remain Scottish." That sentiment has been passed down through the generations on both sides of my family.

Also remember that both the Irish and the Scottish were subjected to genocidal oppression by the English, both with the sword and via starvation.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

trying and failing to imagine an American getting worked up about his "English-American heritage"

like the only person who would do this has several disturbing flag emojis on their twitter profile

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm sure that even if they don't they have several disturbing flag emojis on their twitter profile.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Not English, but

Not far off.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's the fabled Williamite Republican Loyalist Constitutionalist ready to call the police on your Jacobite rear end.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Badger of Basra posted:

trying and failing to imagine an American getting worked up about his "English-American heritage"

like the only person who would do this has several disturbing flag emojis on their twitter profile

Maybe not the normal case, but I'm English and moved to America as a kid, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a streak of that through high school. On the spectrum of ethnic problems I acknowledge that it's absolutely jack and poo poo in terms of hardships, but there was enough mockery from teachers/students that it rubbed teenage-me the wrong way enough to want to be contrarian.

Especially since that was coming off the heels of indoctrination from British primary school and I had yet to learn much of anything about the atrocities my ancestors committed.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

On the bright side, americans of all creeds and hues mostly agree the english are effete assholes and a shite culture to be colonized by

You could say this but then it opens up the question as to why the 'effete' shite culture managed it so well

What were all these better cultures doing? Not being 'effete' obviously, we'll take that as given ;)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I’m the Omani that moved to Palestine

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I'm the Libyan who relocates to Bangladesh (many such cases)

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Koramei posted:

Maybe not the normal case, but I'm English and moved to America as a kid, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a streak of that through high school. On the spectrum of ethnic problems I acknowledge that it's absolutely jack and poo poo in terms of hardships, but there was enough mockery from teachers/students that it rubbed teenage-me the wrong way enough to want to be contrarian.

Especially since that was coming off the heels of indoctrination from British primary school and I had yet to learn much of anything about the atrocities my ancestors committed.

Yeah that's not what people are referring to. You're definitely English-American and it would be seen as totally normal for you to identify as such.

Also don't worry, everyone's ancestors committed atrocities if you go back far enough.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Starks posted:

I always think it's funny when people say that the mantra of "it's coming home" is an example of English arrogance when the song is about how much England lose all the time but it's nice to hope and dream all the same.

In any case, it's coming home.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's understandable, but pretty funny that no one has China.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Big LOL at leaving Taiwan blank to not offend China but then listing Hong Kong as a country for Chinese people to migrate to.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Mediterranean, yes. Baltic, no. Pretty half-assed if you ask me.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Well the benefit is clear

But how much water would this displace? I'm guessing not an insignificant amount which might be not so great for everyone who's still not landlocked

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If it can be done in videogames it can be done in the real world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jampkjVg2LM

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mobby_6kl posted:

But how much water would this displace? I'm guessing not an insignificant amount which might be not so great for everyone who's still not landlocked

Like a hundred and thirty million cubic kilometres.

That’s fifty Greenland ice sheets, or a tenth of the total volume of the ocean.

The remaining sea would rise by about four hundred metres.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well obviously we're pumping the water into cisterns! How many cisterns could that take?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The construction of artificial reservoirs has actually noticeably impacted sea level.

The magnitude of the effect was three centrimetres in 2008.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Platystemon posted:

Easily offset by the inevitable icesheet that'd potentially push down into the Atlas Mountains.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Finally Switzerland will get access to the sea (e.g. Zurich: elevation 408m AMSL). The sacrifice of Basel will be remembered.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Platystemon posted:

Worth it

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Platystemon posted:

I'm also pretty sure completely eliminating the North Atlantic, and with it the North Atlantic current system, shatters a large portion of the world's climate and throws us all into a new Younger Dryas.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

So just criss-cross it with canals, I'm sure that's just as good as an ocean

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Quorum posted:

I'm also pretty sure completely eliminating the North Atlantic, and with it the North Atlantic current system, shatters a large portion of the world's climate and throws us all into a new Younger Dryas.

Maybe, but have you considered what sick road trips it would allow?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Samuel Clemens posted:

Maybe, but have you considered what sick road trips it would allow?

:hmmyes: Road trips in a frozen wasteland, using some kind of road built across ice, perhaps in a large vehicle designed for this purpose and driven by specialized operators, that does sound intriguing

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

pretty sure this is part of the origin story in The Fifth Season

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Quorum posted:

Good, because I'm not a fan of Older Wet rear end

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Bill Gates is the biggest owner of farmland. Nothing to be worried about I am sure.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

guess what this is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998