Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

When I did my TK campaign on normal/normal, I was unlocking my T5 units in my home city at about the point that I was ready to enter the final quest mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Campaigns would be better if they let you get the T4-5 heavy hitters online very early, but fielding more then one per army or even factionwide was prohibitively expensive until you got more buildings to bring the costs down.

Would make losing your starting high tier unit feel less painful too, Khatep losing his Hierotitan? never seeing one of those again.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I understand why they changed growth; to make getting elite doomstacks take longer which keeps the game fun for longer, but it's a bandaid which doesn't fix the problem.

The actual way to make the same fix is to use the cost based unit caps mod.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

lazorexplosion posted:

I understand why they changed growth; to make getting elite doomstacks take longer which keeps the game fun for longer, but it's a bandaid which doesn't fix the problem.

The actual way to make the same fix is to use the cost based unit caps mod.

or just quotas so you can only field x number of unit y in total/per army

i like sfos faction cap system myself

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah the growth changes really hit certain factions HARD. TK, Vamps, Dwarves... they just get hosed. You can't get your good poo poo before the loving campaign is over.

There has to be a more elegant solution, somewhere. Hopefully CA is doing something on that front for WH3.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ammanas posted:

or just quotas so you can only field x number of unit y in total/per army

i like sfos faction cap system myself

Yep this is the best. If I'm able to bring 19 black dragons in a single army because of my slave economy there's just not much men can do against such reckless hate and it becomes less fun to fight them. However if we both bring 5 elites and a shitload of core units, it becomes very fun!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I literally just found out today, after a couple years, about how treaties make certain diplomatic options impossible. I thought I was at my best possible relationship with both Khalida and Kroq-gar, but my alliances with Khalida prevented the options from appearing for Kroq-gar, not some anti-Last Defenders bias on the Dwarfs’ part.

Similarly, I am at war with Snikch and on good terms with Settra, and Settra has an alliance with Snikch, so I don’t even have the option to make an alliance with Settra.

I thought these situations would put the chances for these actions deep in the red, not remove the button entirely, so I made other assumptions based on that.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
SFO is so good and has so many great submods that I don't even recall vanilla for either game.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Gonkish posted:

Yeah the growth changes really hit certain factions HARD. TK, Vamps, Dwarves... they just get hosed. You can't get your good poo poo before the loving campaign is over.

At least Vamps I can occasionally stumble on a mysterious 4000 casualty battlefield from an AI war and get some kickass units. Blood Knights, Mortis Engines.

I have never managed to recruit a flame cannon before I’ve moved on to another campaign.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Real Cool Catfish posted:

At least Vamps I can occasionally stumble on a mysterious 4000 casualty battlefield from an AI war and get some kickass units. Blood Knights, Mortis Engines.

I have never managed to recruit a flame cannon before I’ve moved on to another campaign.

The upkeep free skeleton horde armies actually work nicely for giving you huge battlefields too. Your own casualties count, so partially clipping your lines with Winds of Death can work out for you too.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

How many turns does your average campaign last? I tend to play around 100 turns before I get bored and start a new campaign. If something disastrous happens, then I might give up much sooner though. I typically have no problem getting to tier 5 units in any race, but I have no idea if my campaigns are exceptionally long or something compared to others.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Those growth changes are like the biggest red flag to about how game 3 will be balanced.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

The Corn is here and the Soul Grinder is in

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-3-khorne-roster-reveal/

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I am HYPE about the Soul Grinder

Also I hope this means that the next faction is being previewed soon

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

The Gadfly posted:

How many turns does your average campaign last? I tend to play around 100 turns before I get bored and start a new campaign. If something disastrous happens, then I might give up much sooner though. I typically have no problem getting to tier 5 units in any race, but I have no idea if my campaigns are exceptionally long or something compared to others.

Varies! Until it feels like I’ve broken the back of any real enemies and the only thing left would really be map painting/clear up. By the games on the load game screen, generally between 80-120 turns.

Skaven games tend to go longer because I always have the pet project of trying to help other Skaven carve out their empires across the whole map, which keeps me engaged in the campaign for longer. Also Skaven getting access to instant tier 5 settlements generously bankrolled by the food from the under empire is so good.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That Khorne roster really wants me to see Dante and Doomguy on the first Kislev DLC

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mans posted:

That Khorne roster really wants me to see Dante and Doomguy on the first Kislev DLC

There might be room for Dante on another roster but we already have Doomguy showing up with the final 2 dlc.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
The fact that even Khorne's artillery are close-combat beasts is amazing.

I see there are already nerds on Reddit complaining that Soul Grinders are a 40k unit and don't fit in Fantasy.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
and people thought Soul Grinders wouldn't make it :getin:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

William Bear posted:

The fact that even Khorne's artillery are close-combat beasts is amazing.

And it sounds like being in melee combat replenishes their ammunition? Absolutely amazing. Hell-lizardmen is alright by me.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

And it sounds like being in melee combat replenishes their ammunition? Absolutely amazing. Hell-lizardmen is alright by me.

Yeah and the Blood Shrine heals itself while in melee.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

What's interesting to me is based off that roster, what is Khorne's t1 melee unit? Does he just skip that and go straight to t2?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Eimi posted:

What's interesting to me is based off that roster, what is Khorne's t1 melee unit? Does he just skip that and go straight to t2?

Lizardmen have Saraus warriors as tier 1 infantry so I assume it will work the same for Khorne.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Varies! Until it feels like I’ve broken the back of any real enemies and the only thing left would really be map painting/clear up. By the games on the load game screen, generally between 80-120 turns.

Skaven games tend to go longer because I always have the pet project of trying to help other Skaven carve out their empires across the whole map, which keeps me engaged in the campaign for longer. Also Skaven getting access to instant tier 5 settlements generously bankrolled by the food from the under empire is so good.

I see. I'm new to Warhammer 2, and have no frame of reference for how long it should take to reach tier 5. I haven't tried Skaven yet. I probably will soon, it seems like fun.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hunt11 posted:

Lizardmen have Saraus warriors as tier 1 infantry so I assume it will work the same for Khorne.

True, though they also have skinks. I guess as Khorne you can't cheap out on your front line ever.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Eimi posted:

The Khorne chaos warriors are T2, this is confirmed in the demo as they have the II symbol in them.

It's likely that all the chaos guys are getting basic marauders for their basic infantry and chaff. You can sort of spot them in one of the kislev trailers.

The Gadfly posted:

I see. I'm new to Warhammer 2, and have no frame of reference for how long it should take to reach tier 5. I haven't tried Skaven yet. I probably will soon, it seems like fun.

With Skaven you want to spend the first 5 turns or so just sacking and raiding to get food, then demolish your main city, re-colonize it to instant lvl 4/5.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

William Bear posted:

I see there are already nerds on Reddit complaining that Soul Grinders are a 40k unit and don't fit in Fantasy.

These people can be safely ignored. Looking forward to the 19 soulgrinders video.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
There are three more daemon factions, plus Cathay, plus the unannounced pre-order faction. Let the steady trickle of reveals continue!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
lol nerds mad the Soul Grinder's in, as well as the Throne/Cannon/Shrine variant.

MY SERIOUS GROUNDED FANTASY NOOOOOO

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
The interesting thing is that the blog post's language on Soul Grinders uses the word "Warp", when in Fantasy it's usually called "The Realm of Chaos". They're basically dropped whole from the 40k universe.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Fantasy uses the word Warp a fair bit when regarding Chaos-influenced magic. Warp Lighting for example.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

The Gadfly posted:

Electronico6 posted:

The Khorne chaos warriors are T2, this is confirmed in the demo as they have the II symbol in them.

It's likely that all the chaos guys are getting basic marauders for their basic infantry and chaff. You can sort of spot them in one of the kislev trailers.

With Skaven you want to spend the first 5 turns or so just sacking and raiding to get food, then demolish your main city, re-colonize it to instant lvl 4/5.

for the record you in no way have to do this and it only became a thing within the past year

there is a bit of variation between factions and their growth capabilities. several factions have heroes that can stimulate growth on top of buildings. so time to tier 5 can vary quite a bit

personally I think they should move to the 3K style where the units you can recruit are tied to tech and lord level. military building increase rank and decrease recruiting cost

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
Telling brand new players to immediately commit to the grindy meta strategies before anything else is silly. Just go around, fight battles and conquer poo poo. You'll figure it out as you go.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Using the higher tier starting capital mod makes the game more fun in general imo. Watch the world decay as former glorious tier 5 cities become a pile of poo poo that still gets fought over

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I wonder if the other three daemon factions get their own soul grinders.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Hope not.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

let nurgle have the 40k plague hulk :colbert:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Mordja posted:

Hope not.

Hope they do.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

soul grinders were always part of the fantasy demons roster so idk what nerds are mad about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The Soulgrinder was introduced in the first Warhammer 40K Chaos Daemons codex. The first WFB daemon army book was released at about the same time, but didn’t have the Soulgrinder. It was added in the next edition though!

It is a little surprising that there are no marauders to be t1 fodder. The warrior variants are probably different tiers. Have we seen screenshots of all their cards? If human warriors start at t2, would that make basic bloodletters t1?

Maybe our girl Valkia’s inevitable dlc will have a focus on human units. They have added relatively boring low-tier units to paid dlc before, like the basic archers in The Hunter and the Beast