Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I have a sloping roof on my carport and I have smacked my head with my helmet on into the crossbeam a couple times now. They weren't hard hits by any means, I assume my helmet is still ok... right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The fact that you are a little worried about it should answer your question

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Russian Bear posted:

I have a sloping roof on my carport and I have smacked my head with my helmet on into the crossbeam a couple times now. They weren't hard hits by any means, I assume my helmet is still ok... right?

Depends, do you want to buy a new helmet? New model come out that you have your eye on? If yes, then 100% yes you MUST get a new helmet. For safety purposes. No? Eh... I wouldn't worry about it.

Carteret posted:

The fact that you are a little worried about it should answer your question

Seriously underestimating my ability to worry.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

I think helmets can take bigger whacks than you'd think....I remeber watching one of the F9 videos mentioning a 3-4ft drop can still be ok. Check the inside lining/foam, if that is malformed then definitely new helmet I think

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

builds character posted:

Depends, do you want to buy a new helmet? New model come out that you have your eye on? If yes, then 100% yes you MUST get a new helmet. For safety purposes. No? Eh... I wouldn't worry about it.

I do really want a quieter helmet than this HJC.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Russian Bear posted:

I do really want a quieter helmet than this HJC.

Shoei RF1400 it is!

I bought my Shoei helmet after wearing an HJC for about four years, because I heard the Shoei was quieter. After wearing it for a year I can’t stand to put my HJC helmet on.

Granted, I went from a CL-17 to a Shoei. If you have an RPHA I imagine it’ll be a different experience.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I also love my RF1400!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

lol I bought an arai after taking a couple off-road tumbles where I barely bonked my head, but definitely used it as justification :D

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

I switched to the RF1200 after 7ish years with a HJC $100 can and it's pretty darn good.

The HJC had 0 damage and yet I still changed it...

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
What sort of gear do people wear for dual sport riding when you do a significant amount of time on the street before you get to dirt? Is there something between street gear with armor built in and a dirt bike jersey over a compression suit or chest protector and knee braces or whatever dirt bike people wear?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Dog Case posted:

What sort of gear do people wear for dual sport riding when you do a significant amount of time on the street before you get to dirt? Is there something between street gear with armor built in and a dirt bike jersey over a compression suit or chest protector and knee braces or whatever dirt bike people wear?

Any of the mosko moto stuff but $$$. Otherwise, Klim dakar/Mojave pants, + whatever jacket you want that just goes in a tail bag or backpack. Trail riding is so much hotter than the freeway that it’s really tough to wear anything that works for both. There are enduro jackets out there that have some pads but for just traditional dual sport riding klim or mosko moto have good stuff and there’s approximately eleven tons of used klim stuff on advrider.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

builds character posted:

Any of the mosko moto stuff but $$$. Otherwise, Klim dakar/Mojave pants, + whatever jacket you want that just goes in a tail bag or backpack. Trail riding is so much hotter than the freeway that it’s really tough to wear anything that works for both. There are enduro jackets out there that have some pads but for just traditional dual sport riding klim or mosko moto have good stuff and there’s approximately eleven tons of used klim stuff on advrider.

ya this. my biggest, but easiest sacrifice for comfort is wearing mx gloves instead of road gloves. even the sand 3s I have are nowhere near as good as basically any mx glove, but I try to swap out when I know I’m going to be on a trail for at least 30’ or so

personally I just accept that I’m going to get horribly sweaty wrasslin a giant dirtbike, but yeah I’ll always wear a kriega trail 18 for water and stripping / swapping layers if it’s a cold start or w/e

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

SocksAndSandals posted:

I think helmets can take bigger whacks than you'd think....I remeber watching one of the F9 videos mentioning a 3-4ft drop can still be ok. Check the inside lining/foam, if that is malformed then definitely new helmet I think

A drop is fine. Hitting something with your melon inside the helmet not so much.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Are there any non-MX boots with thick soles, like a walking boot? Dropped my bike off for service and as I had to be somewhere else pretty quickly and was only going through town I just wore walking boots instead of bike boots and the extra cm or two of thickness put my little stumpy legs in the *exact* correct position in the tank, rather than it feeling just a tiny bit of a stretch to hold on with my knees.

I legitimately feel like a pair of proper bike boots with thick soles might do more to improve the handling of my bike than the new Pirellis going on it. I only discount MX boots as I find the much more rigid ankle really uncomfortable on longer journeys - willing to hear recommendations from that side if they're a bit more flexible too.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Are there any non-MX boots with thick soles, like a walking boot? Dropped my bike off for service and as I had to be somewhere else pretty quickly and was only going through town I just wore walking boots instead of bike boots and the extra cm or two of thickness put my little stumpy legs in the *exact* correct position in the tank, rather than it feeling just a tiny bit of a stretch to hold on with my knees.

I legitimately feel like a pair of proper bike boots with thick soles might do more to improve the handling of my bike than the new Pirellis going on it. I only discount MX boots as I find the much more rigid ankle really uncomfortable on longer journeys - willing to hear recommendations from that side if they're a bit more flexible too.

Sidi Canyons have reasonably beefy soles. I've had my pair for 10+ years, they still look decent, fit great, and don't leak in the rain.

Forma Adventures and some of the other popular touring/ADV touring boots ought to fit the bill, too.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Dog Case posted:

I've been wearing Revit mesh jacket and pants with their armor removed, over top of proper dirt bike armor. This is my armor and I can take my jacket off if I'm really hot. I accept that I'm gonna sweat if I'm riding on anything more difficult than a logging road and just wash my gear in some enzyme based wetsuit cleaner to kill the smell.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

Sidi Canyons have reasonably beefy soles. I've had my pair for 10+ years, they still look decent, fit great, and don't leak in the rain.

Forma Adventures and some of the other popular touring/ADV touring boots ought to fit the bill, too.

I already have Forma Adventure Lows, like a good CA goon should, and the soles aren't really that much thicker than a race boot.

FWIW these are the boots I was wearing, the soles are a little bit thicker than work boots. I think it's specifically the thicker section between the ball of the foot and the arch that makes the difference - most bike boots tend to be thin there with I guess good reason, as that's the section of your foot that's normally on the peg and going thin there probably gives you a little extra feel.

However I'm not a good enough rider, and I don't push anything like hard enough, for that to be an issue and I'd much rather have it be that little bit easier/less wearing to grip the tank with my knees. I suppose what I should *actually* be looking for is adjustable pegs and move them up and forward a tiny amount to get the same effect.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I already have Forma Adventure Lows, like a good CA goon should, and the soles aren't really that much thicker than a race boot.

FWIW these are the boots I was wearing, the soles are a little bit thicker than work boots. I think it's specifically the thicker section between the ball of the foot and the arch that makes the difference - most bike boots tend to be thin there with I guess good reason, as that's the section of your foot that's normally on the peg and going thin there probably gives you a little extra feel.

However I'm not a good enough rider, and I don't push anything like hard enough, for that to be an issue and I'd much rather have it be that little bit easier/less wearing to grip the tank with my knees. I suppose what I should *actually* be looking for is adjustable pegs and move them up and forward a tiny amount to get the same effect.
Sounds like you need to swing by your local Harley dealer and try on some boots. Then go and buy non-harley branded version online for half price.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Forma Adventure Lows.
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/354713
£135 in the UK.

Oh wait

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jun 16, 2021

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
If you have a Shoei helmet, you can mail it to them and they will X-ray it and tell you if it’s safe to use. I scraped an old quest up high siding on SF trolley car tracks many years ago and the helmet came back safe to use.

https://www.shoei-helmets.com/service-support/

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 16, 2021

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

The RF1400 increases safety by having a shell that can deform without breaking, thus it probably can get invisibly damaged easier as well. I considered it when it came back a perfect fit from lidpicker, but I live in dark tunnel country, so an internal sun visor is kind of a must.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

pun pundit posted:

I live in dark tunnel country, so an internal sun visor is kind of a must.

I get that this isn't for everyone, but I wear a dark (or mirror) visor with clear riding sunglasses underneath. If it gets too dark I just raise the visor, and the gasket on the riding glasses keeps the air from blowing directly into my (contact wearing) eyes when the visor is down.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I mostly just wore the dark visor at night, but my next helmet (likely RF1400 as I have had two prior RF1200s) will just have a photochromatic visor, whenever they become available.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I just checked Revzilla and it says the photochromatic visor for the RF-1400 is back in stock in September. I had been waiting for them to come out and I thought I saw them available a month ago, but I didn't buy one because I'm not riding right now. Sounds like I should just preemptively purchase one next time I see them available, but it's really not very impressive of Shoei to release a helmet with a new visor and then not have tinted visors for more than half a year. I forgot how bad it sucks to ride into the sun with a clear visor.

*edit*
drat it seems like they're out of RF-1400 helmets in XL at the usual sites. Everyone buying helmets for the summer, or the general shipping / logistics problems that everyone else is having?

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 16, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wanted to buy a photochro visor for my 1200 but I can’t find it in stock anywhere in Canada, but also the price is pretty impulse-buy prohibitive. One day I’ll get drunk and mash the buy button and not think about it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheBacon posted:

I mostly just wore the dark visor at night, but my next helmet (likely RF1400 as I have had two prior RF1200s) will just have a photochromatic visor, whenever they become available.

Photochromatics just don't react quick enough for that kind of use case though - if you're constantly going from deep shadow to bright sunlight, whether due to tunnels, buildings, or just really dense foliage, even the best and most sensitive photochromatic lenses are going to be barely changing by the time the light is back. You either have to just suck it up and get used to squinting a lot or go for some sort of dual system, whether it's an internal sun visor or the rather weird solution Strife has.

Personally I like an internal visor but I managed for years with just clear visors because living in the middle of London you're in constantly changing light conditions (in particular this utter, utter bastard where the approach means at any point between noon and sundown the sun's going to be directly in your eyes for a few seconds before you get plunged into utter darkness in a turn that's at least opening up compared to the approach but still a lot tighter than yo might be expecting), and ultimately like I say just squinting a bit actually does a surprisingly good job.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
personally i never had an issue with my rf1200's transition lens. if it's sunny and i go through a long tunnel or whatever i just flip it up or just leave it closed entirely and deal. it was really nice to not have to care about what lens was currently fitted to the helmet since some days i'd be in the office til night time

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

builds character posted:

Ok thanks, this is exactly the sort of thing I had in mind but I guess I was just passing it over when I was looking thinking it was more adventure oriented/heavy/50 zip out liners sort of stuff. I just ordered a Dakar jacket and pants.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Photochromatics just don't react quick enough for that kind of use case though - if you're constantly going from deep shadow to bright sunlight, whether due to tunnels, buildings, or just really dense foliage, even the best and most sensitive photochromatic lenses are going to be barely changing by the time the light is back. You either have to just suck it up and get used to squinting a lot or go for some sort of dual system, whether it's an internal sun visor or the rather weird solution Strife has.

Personally I like an internal visor but I managed for years with just clear visors because living in the middle of London you're in constantly changing light conditions (in particular this utter, utter bastard where the approach means at any point between noon and sundown the sun's going to be directly in your eyes for a few seconds before you get plunged into utter darkness in a turn that's at least opening up compared to the approach but still a lot tighter than yo might be expecting), and ultimately like I say just squinting a bit actually does a surprisingly good job.

Ya my point was that even the dark tint I don't really have issues at night so tunnel transitions are fine, mostly want photochromatic for not having to ever swap out the visor.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I think the RF1400 will be my next lid. Although i'm hoping the Arai Quantic will be released later this year in the US, consider that depending on price point.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
obligatory reminder that Shoei is top quality and will absolutely save your life (not that others won't but i have empirical proof lol)

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

drat, that hit hard, I realized I never checked mine but I looked just now and it's not cracked at all. Guess I can reuse it!

Are you all healed now? I finally got my pins out last week (week 7) and that helped a lot in terms of how everything feels, but now I'm trying to get my thumb up to strength and full range of motion and all that. I'm just glad the nerve damage went away around 6.5 weeks in, that was fairly annoying. Even once the nerve pain went away it felt like the rollers in a Sharper Image massage chair were going up and down my fingers for 24hrs a day. I promise it's not as relaxing as that sounds. Typing with two hands again is amazing since my work recently has involved constant typing or Excel.

These pics are almost a week old and already the scar is looking better than this (grabbed pics just before the pins came out). Turns out getting the pins out isn't even that bad, although not necessarily fun. I can't believe how big they are, I still have no idea how they actually fit into my hand. I should have added something for scale but they're around 3".

:nms:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheBacon posted:

Ya my point was that even the dark tint I don't really have issues at night so tunnel transitions are fine, mostly want photochromatic for not having to ever swap out the visor.

Yeah that's fair enough, I was just making the point that they're not applicable (or at least not as useful as an internal visor or other means) for everyone.

Personally I don't understand why liquid crystal visors have never been a thing - are they really that impossible to make clear/optically consistent enough for a visor? I know that they'd have to be polarising which would cause all kinds of problems with LCD gauges but you'd have thought someone would have at least attempted it at some point - being able to instantly go from clear to 60 or 70% tint would be an absolute game changer. Although even as I type that I realise that there's no way it would pass CE certification and so there's absolutely no point in the helmet manufacturers looking into it, and the third party suppliers probably don't have the money for that sort of research.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Strife posted:

I get that this isn't for everyone, but I wear a dark (or mirror) visor with clear riding sunglasses underneath. If it gets too dark I just raise the visor, and the gasket on the riding glasses keeps the air from blowing directly into my (contact wearing) eyes when the visor is down.

Or buy tacticlol shades from the OEM and don't pay an extra $50 for a bar and shield logo. When you're done riding you can wear them to the gun range so the other operators know you're high speed, low drag (Strife, this is a crack on Wiley-X, not you)

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

MomJeans420 posted:

drat, that hit hard, I realized I never checked mine but I looked just now and it's not cracked at all. Guess I can reuse it!

Are you all healed now? I finally got my pins out last week (week 7) and that helped a lot in terms of how everything feels, but now I'm trying to get my thumb up to strength and full range of motion and all that. I'm just glad the nerve damage went away around 6.5 weeks in, that was fairly annoying. Even once the nerve pain went away it felt like the rollers in a Sharper Image massage chair were going up and down my fingers for 24hrs a day. I promise it's not as relaxing as that sounds. Typing with two hands again is amazing since my work recently has involved constant typing or Excel.

These pics are almost a week old and already the scar is looking better than this (grabbed pics just before the pins came out). Turns out getting the pins out isn't even that bad, although not necessarily fun. I can't believe how big they are, I still have no idea how they actually fit into my hand. I should have added something for scale but they're around 3".

man that looks a lot better than i thought it would at this point, stoked for ya. my PT + doc said i can discontinue visits and proceed with caution on my own for continued strength rehab (basically aite dude go lift, you're "fine"). hardware removal is a conversation for next year if at all, there is risk that a sufficiently hard fall can break my wrist/arms along the screw holes but i'm going to see what to do after a full year of mountain biking, dirt biking and snowboarding.

i hope your thumb rehab goes better than mine, the bennett fracture on my left thumb has made certain things more difficult/impossible. for example, lamps with those thin twisting knobs are extremely difficult for me to turn now lol

but yeah my wrists and hands work now so that's good

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah that's fair enough, I was just making the point that they're not applicable (or at least not as useful as an internal visor or other means) for everyone.

Personally I don't understand why liquid crystal visors have never been a thing - are they really that impossible to make clear/optically consistent enough for a visor? I know that they'd have to be polarising which would cause all kinds of problems with LCD gauges but you'd have thought someone would have at least attempted it at some point - being able to instantly go from clear to 60 or 70% tint would be an absolute game changer. Although even as I type that I realise that there's no way it would pass CE certification and so there's absolutely no point in the helmet manufacturers looking into it, and the third party suppliers probably don't have the money for that sort of research.

Internal sun visor hooked up to a solenoid and a light sensor.

e/ in the realm of similar things you could add to helmets that don't have an internal visor, I'm sure I've seen some brand that had the sun visor on the outside. Bolted on through the main visor I think.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 17, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

e/ in the realm of similar things you could add to helmets that don't have an internal visor, I'm sure I've seen some brand that had the sun visor on the outside. Bolted on through the main visor I think.

AGV have something like that but it only covers about a third of the visor. It's basically an official version of the old racer trick of making a sun visor out of tape.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Consider: just wear a fuckin hat on your helmet

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Razzled posted:

i hope your thumb rehab goes better than mine, the bennett fracture on my left thumb has made certain things more difficult/impossible. for example, lamps with those thin twisting knobs are extremely difficult for me to turn now lol

but yeah my wrists and hands work now so that's good

Is leaving the screws in your arm an option? I take it they don't stick out from your skin or anything. I can't even open screw top bottles/jars right now, but I did just tie my shoes for the first time in 2 months yesterday so that's an improvement. Doctor thinks I'll lose some movement of my thumb and will definitely have arthritis when I'm older, but luckily I'm right handed anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

whenever I do an all day ride, the collar of my jacket rubs my neck a bit raw from doing head checks. it's not a big deal for short rides but on a long multi day trip, it can get painful. is there something I can do to manage it? all I've settled on is wearing a thin scarf to protect my neck on those long rides (which works) but if there was something I could attach over the collar that would be more convenient.