Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I wouldn't count on any patriot act 2 passing congress.

why wouldn't it? dems love thought-policing and republicans love spying on people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Jazerus posted:

yeah honestly tho the patriot act and the decisions made on a policy level such as rubberstamp FISA courts give the feds everything they could ever want for domestic repression. there is nothing left to write into a patriot act 2 that wouldn't rip the mask off by being too blatant.

I can't remember the specific bill but one of the pieces of legislation that was floated around the same time as the first patriot act was for large-scale digital surveillance and the way the bill was written could be interpreted as legalizing infrastructure that already existed (I don't think the bill ever made it out of committee)

it kept the Echelon people going for a while, lmao

a lot of what the PATRIOT act did was just make it so the feds could be open about what they were already doing on a massive scale anyway, almost all the infrastructure to support PATRIOT act programs already existed when the bill was signed, homeland security practically sprang up overnight

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

lmao :qq: we're leaving behind our most profitable opiate farmers in the region :qq:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jazerus posted:

yeah honestly tho the patriot act and the decisions made on a policy level such as rubberstamp FISA courts give the feds everything they could ever want for domestic repression. there is nothing left to write into a patriot act 2 that wouldn't rip the mask off by being too blatant.

FISA still theoretically doesn't apply to US citizens communicating with US citizens inside the US. so making a DISA would be an easy one to add

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Mirthless posted:

because two airliners crashed into the world trade center

Why do people think the mainstream media won't shut the gently caress up about January 6th five months later when 2000 was an actual steal and we already know DC can suppress a mob just fine last summer, they just wanted to pretend to be helpless this time around?

We're getting Patriot Act II, that's practically the only reason Biden wants to be in office, to pull this off. That and take more children to Comet Ice Cream Parlors.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Probably Magic posted:

Why do people think the mainstream media won't shut the gently caress up about January 6th five months later when 2000 was an actual steal and we already know DC can suppress a mob just fine last summer, they just wanted to pretend to be helpless this time around?

We're getting Patriot Act II, that's practically the only reason Biden wants to be in office, to pull this off. That and take more children to Comet Ice Cream Parlors.

I'm sorry to ask this, but do you actually remember 9/11?

1/6 was nothing. it is nothing. the media coverage is nothing. the response is nothing.

We had around the clock media coverage on every channel that did news (and some that didn't) about 9/11 and the adjacent stories for a year

It was the covid-19 of 2001-2002

edit: something like 90% of americans were unified in outrage. we treated the anniversary of 9/11 as a national holiday with around the clock memorial events on TV for the following six years. Thousands of people died. It caused so much bipartisan unificiation that GWB became, briefly, the most popular president in American history

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 19:51 on Jun 17, 2021

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Mirthless posted:

so, basically: the specific time to get worried about patriot act 2 will be if a terrorist attack just suddenly happens out of nowhere just as the bill has materialized and is ready to be voted on

https://www.nytimes.com/spotlight/us-capitol-riots-investigations

:thunk:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://mobile.twitter.com/burgessev/status/1405596898673807361

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Yang owns

https://twitter.com/emmagf/status/1405583295442739200?s=20

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
drat they gotta gut more parts, maybe allow states universal and final authority over all federal elections.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
A lot of you say that Biden will never do poo poo for us as president, but he just signed into law a paid federal holiday.

Thank you mister president

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Juneteenth is good but they should have made election day a holiday too

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Mirthless posted:

I'm sorry to ask this, but do you actually remember 9/11?

1/6 was nothing. it is nothing. the media coverage is nothing. the response is nothing.

We had around the clock media coverage on every channel that did news (and some that didn't) about 9/11 and the adjacent stories for a year

It was the covid-19 of 2001-2002

edit: something like 90% of americans were unified in outrage. we treated the anniversary of 9/11 as a national holiday with around the clock memorial events on TV for the following six years. Thousands of people died. It caused so much bipartisan unificiation that GWB became, briefly, the most popular president in American history

Of course I remember, I grew up under all that poo poo, it's why I get into a frothing rage any time anyone defends GWB. I don't think the public response to 1/6 is the same as to 9/11, but I think the media and government in general sells their wars less and less. You and I remember the showmanship that went into deliberating over bombing Iraq, and we both can compare that to our involvement in Libya and Syria which was done with not nearly the same level of theater. If Trump was less skittish about the optics of war, we'd be exchanging fire with Iran right now. It's not as much theater because Americans are desensitized from the Recession and the pandemic and all that, but it's definitely a pitch, definitely fait accompli, and it's definitely going to pass because, thanks to the "War on Terrorism," whatever the gently caress that means, the government knows it can get away with anything.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I mean,
he's not wrong

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Andrew Yang's solution: Grind them up into a rich, nutrient protein paste that we can feed to under-privileged inner-city youth in our Programming-For-Fifteen initiative: where we seize minority children from their inefficient parents and teach them how to program in python and javascript, and set them up with guaranteed (minimum wage, #fightfor15) internships right out of school

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Pamela Springstein posted:

Juneteenth is good but they should have made election day a holiday too

yes but also lol electoralism

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

KillerQueen posted:

I mean,
he's not wrong

he is because what he means is "they should not be seen in places that could lower the value of our flats"

he isn't advocating a compassionate alternative, he's saying that he feels bad but the fact that they're experiencing poverty is harmful to the rights of landowners

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Basically PA1 just made legal the stuff the security state was already doing. They don't care what law passes or doesn't pass. It's not like they get prosecuted for anything anyway.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

The Nastier Nate posted:

A lot of you say that Biden will never do poo poo for us as president, but he just signed into law a paid federal holiday.

Thank you mister president

wait, juneteenth is a paid federal holiday?

:eyepop:

i thought this was just some National Cupcake Day level of recognition tbh, i am just incredibly used to empty gestures at this point from the Dems

my expectations for his admin are so, so low at this point, it's not hard for him to beat them i guess

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Mirthless posted:

wait, juneteenth is a paid federal holiday?

:eyepop:

i thought this was just some National Cupcake Day level of recognition tbh

my expectations for his admin are so, so low at this point, it's not hard for him to beat them i guess

I dunno I have off tomorow tho

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Basically PA1 just made legal the stuff the security state was already doing. They don't care what law passes or doesn't pass. It's not like they get prosecuted for anything anyway.

I mean, that's true. It's kinda like hearing all the conspiracy theories that COVID is a bioweapon because look how it's isolating and destroying the shared social space where activism could occur, but, like, that was happening already. COVID is just the excuse to accelerate all that. Same with the "sudden" lack of workers we have. We had too few workers before! You couldn't get anyone to help you in Best Buy because there's only three people not manning the register and they're all selling computers to boomers for their grandkids! We had skeleton crews before all this.

Either way, though, more and more the average citizen is going to be labeled a possible enemy combatant as opposed to an American with privileges therein because the frontier has come home, y'know.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

as a small business owner I'm afraid I will have let some people go because I operate on thin margins and can't afford Juneteenth

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

spacemang_spliff posted:

lmao goddamn gently caress this dumb gently caress country

https://twitter.com/GinPalaceAlice/status/1405546031828373506

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1405595926912196608

hahahahaha

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

wow yang supports universal health care and free public housing? cool!

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

"Someone should do something!"

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

so glad our corporate overlords made sure to use a sufficient number of middlemen to :actually: be completely free from liability for the child slave labor force their businesses create

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

where's my 600 bucks then old bitch

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.

Lib and let die posted:

a 400 long tweet thread about shinji jerking off on a sleeping/comatose rei being a metaphor for russian collusion in US elections

it was asuka you binch

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

as a small business owner I'm afraid I will have let some people go because I operate on thin margins and can't afford Juneteenth

i know you're making a joke, but:

private companies don't generally have to observe federal holidays and only have to offer religious holidays off if requested, and small businesses have even more exceptions!
:goonsay:

federal holidays are most useful to people in government jobs and white collar jobs that are heavily dependent on banking or the government, lots of companies include these days as paid holidays in their calendar as they can't get efficient work done on those days anyway (so they might as well just give everybody a break)

election day should probably be a federal holiday but that doesn't mean anything if you don't just make a hard requirement that employers give people paid time to vote!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

mexi posted:

it was asuka you binch

Tabletops posted:

it was asuka you fuk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyFQVZ2h0V8

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Mirthless posted:

he is because what he means is "they should not be seen in places that could lower the value of our flats"

he isn't advocating a compassionate alternative, he's saying that he feels bad but the fact that they're experiencing poverty is harmful to the rights of landowners

Well yeah I figured. I don't really know anything about the Yang campaign except when it did some cringe ads a month or so ago, but that is usually what people running for mayor or whatever mean when they talk about "the homeless problem".

I'm just saying if someone didn't know that and just saw that tweet, they'd probably just agree with him. As evidenced by some of the replies.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

posted the dub version to make anime nerds even madder:evilbuddy:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

mexi posted:

it was asuka you binch

asuka deez nutz binch

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

they love slavery

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

KillerQueen posted:

Well yeah I figured. I don't really know anything about the Yang campaign except when it did some cringe ads a month or so ago, but that is usually what people running for mayor or whatever mean when they talk about "the homeless problem".

I'm just saying if someone didn't know that and just saw that tweet, they'd probably just agree with him. As evidenced by some of the replies.

yea yang scares the poo poo out of me because his messaging is full of poo poo like this but also really brazen direct messaging to the upper middle class and the outright rich

yang has an audience: people who own land or apartments in NYC, or expect to soon (people in careers, making money). everything about his agenda that sounds helpful to lower class people should be examined directly through that specific lens, and then you should interpret how it would be implemented from there

things he advocates for that sound good for poor people (universal basic income, etc) are meant to shift burdens traditionally placed on the employer/employee relationship to the government so Capital can capture more of it's gains. Yang's utopia is literally Shadowrun. The endgame is a new structure of capitalism where the wealth divide is embraced.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ArmZ posted:

asuka deez nutz binch

whats-a asuka you?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Probably Magic posted:

the liberal media is focused on 1/6 because the democrats aren't doing anything policy wise, and are running on "protecting democracy" in the midterms

which candidate is going to support humanitarian euthanasia for the homeless first

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

The Pussy Boss posted:

*stocking shelves for $8/hr* gosh, this economic growth is great

there’s a burger place around here offering 18 hr starting wage, 100% healthcare coverage etc. pretty rad

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

You know you're doing good when you're on the "checks notes" CHILD SLAVERY IS ACTUALLY FINE side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

i asuka da question dey givva de answer