Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

sticklefifer posted:

Was the steak in a ketchup wrap?

Yup. It wasn’t subtle at all about who they were sending up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

One of them sneezed at a steak dinner

pretty sure it was alex reynolds but maybe im wrong

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

CopywrightMMXI posted:

When I was a kid I always liked wrestlers who had a post-match ritual, whether it was Jake Roberts covering someone with his snake, Ted Dibiase stuffing money in his opponents mouth or Brutus Beefcake cutting someone’s hair. Does anyone in wrestling currently do something like this?

Nyla Rosa has been draping this shirt over her opponents at the end of matches recently:

https://www.prowrestlingtees.com/wrestler-t-shirts/nyla-rose/nyla-rose-survivor.html

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

cody rhodes takes a big p00p on his opponents at the end of his matches

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Cavauro posted:

cody rhodes takes a big p00p on his opponents at the end of his matches

Also during the match itself.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

When I was a kid I always liked wrestlers who had a post-match ritual, whether it was Jake Roberts covering someone with his snake, Ted Dibiase stuffing money in his opponents mouth or Brutus Beefcake cutting someone’s hair. Does anyone in wrestling currently do something like this?

In the before Covid times, Hiroshi Tanahashi used to receive towels from fans which he would wipe himself down with before returning them. Also he used to air guitar after big matches

IGgy IGsen posted:

When Minoru Suzuki wins it's celebratory murder
When Minoru Suzuki loses it's venting murder

It's my favorite part about him.

Remember how happy MiSu was when he realised Taichi's small Mexican friend was just as much of a violent arsehole as the rest of Suzuki-gun

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Max Caster kisses his opponent's hand after he pins them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If pre-match counts, the Young Bucks give a lucky fan at ringside their headband.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I think I remember seeing Asuka(WWE) openly expressing/lamenting the state of Joshi trending to be more soft at a point when Emi Sakura was on top of Stardom. Was there any heat between them because of those comments?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I have some early 90s WWF compilation thing on while I work, and Dino Bravo walks out prior to dying his hair. I always wondered why they changed his hair, and seeing him without it, I have to think part of the reason may be because he looked like Don Muraco (to the crowd anyway, or via the lower resolution TVs of the 80s/90s).

Also, Dino Bravo wrestles like he's 75 years old. Everything is slow and sluggish, and looks like he's got a hip replacement.

Did Bravo have any decent WWF matches, or is there any suggestion he was worth being in the WWF?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Red posted:

I have some early 90s WWF compilation thing on while I work, and Dino Bravo walks out prior to dying his hair. I always wondered why they changed his hair, and seeing him without it, I have to think part of the reason may be because he looked like Don Muraco (to the crowd anyway, or via the lower resolution TVs of the 80s/90s).

Also, Dino Bravo wrestles like he's 75 years old. Everything is slow and sluggish, and looks like he's got a hip replacement.

Did Bravo have any decent WWF matches, or is there any suggestion he was worth being in the WWF?

According to the Quebec wrestling book I own, Bravo was physically cooked by the time WWE signed him. He used to be more athletic, apparently, and Vince largely got him because he was a top guy in Quebec. Steroids and mileage lead him to to be pretty drat immobile.

I don't think much footage exists of his athletic prime and he was the shits in WWE.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Besides ashes, green smoke, and a flashlight, what else has been in the urn over the years?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Souls.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
They should've put gummi worms in it and had Paul Bearer snack on them during matches.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Poop

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Did the urn start serving a different purpose after Sid poo poo his trunks during his match with Taker at Wrestlemania 13?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

TV Zombie posted:

I think I remember seeing Asuka(WWE) openly expressing/lamenting the state of Joshi trending to be more soft at a point when Emi Sakura was on top of Stardom. Was there any heat between them because of those comments?

kana was pissed because she thought joshi was just a bunch of gravure idols play fighting instead of Real Women Fighting For Their Lives (or something to that effect). not sure if they had heat, but they probably did because no one liked her

she had to get shady yakuza money to run her own vanity indie because no one would book or finance her

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Smoking Crow posted:

kana was pissed because she thought joshi was just a bunch of gravure idols play fighting instead of Real Women Fighting For Their Lives (or something to that effect). not sure if they had heat, but they probably did because no one liked her

she had to get shady yakuza money to run her own vanity indie because no one would book or finance her

It didn't help that she was a really reckless worker back then either, and it's a tad hypocritical given some of the stunts she pulled during matches. She seems like a lovely person now though, so I guess she got over herself at some point.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Emi also wasn't on top of Stardom or anywhere near Stardom - she only worked the Budokan show, owned Ice Ribbon from 2006-12 and then when she was pushed out of there she formed Gatoh Move in 2012 and that's where she's been ever since. Kana worked IR irregularly before 2009 and then 2012-15 so they may well have had some sort of heat - Kana did fall out with Nanae Takahashi around that same time and Nanae and Emi are bros so perhaps that's also connected.

I also think that the whole manifesto thing was as much an attempt to get attention for Kana as it was anything else - for all of the talk about looks mattering too much and stuff like that in the following years she released gravure DVDs herself - might have been a 'if you can't beat them join them' thing, might also be an indication that she didn't care that much about it. Whatever it was it worked - her peak in Japan was around 2013-14; she was one of the most well known Joshi wrestlers by the time she went to the US and that WWE offer wouldn't have come without what got her in that position, and the Kanapro shows were successful for what they were. She also always had places that would work with her: WAVE always booked her right to the end; she was involved pretty seriously in SMASH/WNC/whatever the other Taijiri promotions were, Triple Tails as an act were big until they broke up around the time Io Shirai went to Stardom, she also had pretty regular US dates through Shimmer as well.

She apparently had heat with Stardom and I suspect that was mainly Nanae although perhaps Rossy wasn't a fan of the manifesto either and by the time Nanae was gone from Stardom Kana was already WWE bound. She clearly seems to have not been the easiest person to work with but that's the case with a lot of people that are fairly big names.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Not a wrestling question, but there's no dedicated Roller Derby forum. Are there any good, definitive books on the history of Roller Derby? For the most part, the best info I ever find on it is in random issues of the Wrestling Observer, typically when Dave is reviewing a Derby book or writing an obituary for a skater. His reviews are always very informative and point out all the things that are wrong or missing in the existing books, lamenting that no one has written a real history of the "sport." I'm interested in learning more about it and how it burned out, but honestly don't know where to start.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tato posted:

Not a wrestling question, but there's no dedicated Roller Derby forum. Are there any good, definitive books on the history of Roller Derby? For the most part, the best info I ever find on it is in random issues of the Wrestling Observer, typically when Dave is reviewing a Derby book or writing an obituary for a skater. His reviews are always very informative and point out all the things that are wrong or missing in the existing books, lamenting that no one has written a real history of the "sport." I'm interested in learning more about it and how it burned out, but honestly don't know where to start.

I’ve heard The Demon of the Derby doc is good but never tracked it down. Best thing might be to ask Dave on Twitter when he seems to be answering questions. I don’t really know anything about the various books. Check the 2006 Observer back issues i believe his Ann Cavello obituary is the only issue up from that year but it’s the most thorough thing he’s written.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Tato posted:

I haven't kept up since I was last involved 10 years ago or so, had no idea it was burning out. Half the people I talk to regularly have a derby name that I still use. Wonder if it's an age thing, and the next "generation" didn't show much interest and everyone is slowly quitting.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I haven't kept up since I was last involved 10 years ago or so, had no idea it was burning out. Half the people I talk to regularly have a derby name that I still use. Wonder if it's an age thing, and the next "generation" didn't show much interest and everyone is slowly quitting.

The Roller Derby in question is the 50s-70s Roller Derby and Roller Games, which were worked. It's Dave's other passion other than wrestling.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

The Roller Derby in question is the 50s-70s Roller Derby and Roller Games, which were worked. It's Dave's other passion other than wrestling.

Ooh, yeah. Wasn't there an 80s revival that was worked as well?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Ooh, yeah. Wasn't there an 80s revival that was worked as well?

There was RollerGames in the early 90s and...

ROLLLLLLLLERJAM!!!!

in the late 90s.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Tato posted:

Frank Deford's "Five Strides on the Banked Track: The Life and Times of the Roller Derby" is $3 on Kindle and very well-regarded.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i've read in a couple places that the cali Inoki Dojo held TV tapings in like '04-'05. is this true? if so, did they actually air anywhere/are there any cards from the tapings available?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Low Desert Punk posted:

i've read in a couple places that the cali Inoki Dojo held TV tapings in like '04-'05. is this true? if so, did they actually air anywhere/are there any cards from the tapings available?

I imagine it would be one of these, although the few cards I looked at didn't mention if they were taped or not. I did see that one of the 2004 shows had Minoru Tanaka vs Bryan Danielson for the Jr Title which would have been an absolute banger

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

SG Bamboo posted:

I did see that one of the 2004 shows had Minoru Tanaka vs Bryan Danielson for the Jr Title which would have been an absolute banger

same card has a little exhibition match between Nakamura and Ken Shamrock that I'm obscenely curious about. Don't think the Toukon shows were taped but I would love to be wrong

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I know there are still wrestling tape trading rings (specifically because the people still into it don't want to convert to digital), which is about the only place I can see footage like that still existing somewhere. Now the tricky part is tracking down a VHS. :v:

amadan
Sep 6, 2002
Vorchsprung durch Technik
[video][/video]

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

sticklefifer posted:

I know there are still wrestling tape trading rings (specifically because the people still into it don't want to convert to digital), which is about the only place I can see footage like that still existing somewhere. Now the tricky part is tracking down a VHS. :v:
...there are? All of the VHS-related dealings I see anymore are people buying official releases as collectables and tapes being loaned out or otherwise acquired specifically to digitize them.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's pretty niche now, but it surprisingly still exists. I used to have a guy for it, which is how I got into Toryumon in the early 00s for lack of any other source. I lost contact with him a while back, but at last check it was still an underground thing about 3-4 years ago. I can't guarantee anything but if I can dig my source back up, I'll post about it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
There are a couple of Inoki Dojo shows floating around. I might be able to get my hands on these two.

quote:

March 6th 2004

New Japan Dojo Toukon II
Hollywood, California, USA
Hollywood Athletic Club

Tag Team Match
Minoru Tanaka & Tommy Williams vs. The Havanna Pitbulls(Ricky Reyes & Rocky Romero)

Singles Match
Jose Moreno vs. Ice Man

Singles Match
Brad Bradley vs. Cyrus

Singles Match
Cobra II vs. Chad Wicks

Tag Team Match
MAZADA & NOSAWA vs. Aaron Aguilera & Bobby Quance

Exhibition Match
Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Ken Shamrock

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title Match
Heat (c) vs. American Dragon

quote:

June 26th 2004

New Japan Dojo Toukon 5
New Japan Dojo
Santa Monica, California, USA

Singles Match
Bobby Quance vs. Taiji Ishimori

Singles Match
Babi Slymm vs. Samoa Joe

Tag Team Match
Adam Pearce & Brad Bradley vs. Eric Matlock & Tommy Williams

Singles Match
American Dragon vs. Joey Ryan

Tag Team Match
MAZADA & NOSAWA vs. Pinoy Boy & Ricky Reyes

Singles Match
Adam Pearce vs. Toru Yano

Ultimate Crush Rules Match
The Iceman vs. Kazuhiro Hamanaka

Singles Match
Bobby Quance vs. Joey Kaos

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title Match
Heat (c) vs. Rocky Romero

Singles Match
American Dragon vs. Taiji Ishimori

Singles Match
Puma vs. Chad Collyer

ROH World Title Match
Samoa Joe (c) vs. Shinya Makabe

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Minoru Tanaka & Heat on the same show. Weird.

Bobby Quance is a name I haven't thought of in about 15 years

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Minoru Tanaka & Heat on the same show. Weird.

Bobby Quance is a name I haven't thought of in about 15 years

I believe he joined the Navy

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Was Diesel supposed to be a truck driver? A truck enthusiast? An actual truck?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yes.

I’m pretty sure it was a combination of Nash being from Detroit (motor city) leading them to a car gimmick and trucks being big and powerful and powered by diesel.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

When Dalton Castle wrestled in Chikara, for a while he wrestled as "Ashley Remington. There was a gimmick along the the lines of him suddenly inheriting a bunch of money or something, so he'd talk about his yachts all the time, dressed like a cruise ship captain, and win or lose, he'd always give his opponents a complimentary fruit basket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Was Diesel supposed to be a truck driver? A truck enthusiast? An actual truck?

Not a direct descendant of Rudolph Diesel?