Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

i'm excited for another 2d metroid, but even i gotta admit the art in that game looked washed out and pretty uninspired. hollowknight and ori are probably gonna out-metroid the new metroid game.

All I can remember about Hollow knight is that it‘s really tedious, no idea how it got so popular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If you jump right before you would slide you can climb in the rain no problem.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Breath of the wild asks you to make your own fun a bit much

This is a really good way of putting it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It works with a certain mindset, though. I'm like, gently caress you game, I'm not gonna do what you tell me, I'm gonna run off in this direction and see what's there, oh hey I found a shrine and half a dozen korok seeds, oh poo poo is that a dragon

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
It seems like thats exactly what the game wants you to do though. Theres not really anything specific the game "wants" you to do

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

It seems like thats exactly what the game wants you to do though. Theres not really anything specific the game "wants" you to do

Except spend a gently caress load of time in the inventory screen replacing your broken weapons.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

fridge corn posted:

Lol that looks dumb as gently caress. It's like a tourist's idea of what fallout London would look like. That trailer is just a checklist of what ppl who have never been to London know about London

loving hell. That looks sooooo poo poo. I hate all media where someone who doesn't use cockney rhyming slang in their real-life tries to sound natural speaking it, it always comes over so loving stupid sounding.

In London, as well, the Union flag is a symbol of tourism. Like, that's ALL I see when I see a Union Flag, no one EVER waves them patriotically. If they DID wave a flag, it would be a St Georges's cross, and that's become a byword for either 'football fan' or 'racist', (Often both) so even they would look stupid hung up in a game. Like I get that it's supposed to be in front of Buckingham Palace, and fine, there's gonna be a Union flag-waving there, but it would never ever be big, it would be demure. We just don't really 'do' the flag thing like the US does.

Never mind all that chutney though, the game itself looks like something outta the 90s? What the poo poo?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

!Klams posted:

loving hell. That looks sooooo poo poo. I hate all media where someone who doesn't use cockney rhyming slang in their real-life tries to sound natural speaking it, it always comes over so loving stupid sounding.

In London, as well, the Union flag is a symbol of tourism. Like, that's ALL I see when I see a Union Flag, no one EVER waves them patriotically. If they DID wave a flag, it would be a St Georges's cross, and that's become a byword for either 'football fan' or 'racist', (Often both) so even they would look stupid hung up in a game. Like I get that it's supposed to be in front of Buckingham Palace, and fine, there's gonna be a Union flag-waving there, but it would never ever be big, it would be demure. We just don't really 'do' the flag thing like the US does.

Never mind all that chutney though, the game itself looks like something outta the 90s? What the poo poo?

Feels like that's nearly all flags nowadays. The only people who ever wave them are sports fans, politicians and racists. (some heavy overlap there)

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Apart from it looking dumb, Fallout is defined by 50s americana through the lens of the 80s. It doesn't make sense elsewhere.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I kinda enjoyed Breath of the Wild till I got to my first Divine Beast, the gigantic bird, it was so cold in the sky your health would gradually decrease, I guess you were meant to find some costume to resist the cold or just eat a bunch of meals which took forever to cook . I couldn't be bothered with that so I just went looking for more of the physics puzzles shrines which were kinda my favourite part of the game.

First shrine I came across after that was the first combat shrine I found, tried that a few times till it got frustrating and haven't played the game since

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I mean if it's supposed to be a pastiche of 50's then maybe it makes more sense.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

I mean if it's supposed to be a pastiche of 50's then maybe it makes more sense.

Yeah what do you do with 50s Britain? Postapocalyptic boarding schools? Britgoons please advise

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Vic posted:

Yeah what do you do with 50s Britain? Postapocalyptic boarding schools? Britgoons please advise

Every single NPC is a paedophile.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

chglcu posted:

Except spend a gently caress load of time in the inventory screen replacing your broken weapons.

and cooking food!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

i'm excited for another 2d metroid, but even i gotta admit the art in that game looked washed out and pretty uninspired. hollowknight and ori are probably gonna out-metroid the new metroid game.

Hollow Knight reminded Nintendo that they have neglected some IP's. They're still neglecting those IP's but at least they're (not really) trying now.

Barudak posted:

Reminder Nintendo released a remaster of a game and of the very few new features it offered, improved fast travel was one of them. To access this, however, you needed to buy a 30 dollar amiibo.

hosed up if true

Vic posted:

Apart from it looking dumb, Fallout is defined by 50s americana through the lens of the 80s. It doesn't make sense elsewhere.

There's no reason why they couldn't research 50's pop culture in other countries, and set a new game there. But that's not something Bethesda are likely to do because that takes extra creative effort.

Quote-Unquote posted:

Every single NPC is a paedophile.

I think that's the 70's

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

itry posted:

There's no reason why they couldn't research 50's pop culture in other countries, and set a new game there. But that's not something Bethesda are likely to do because that takes extra creative effort.

For sure, but what I'm saying is Fallout is very specifically american. Most of it is a cultural reference. Remove that, and all you're left with is the postapo setting. Of course you could do similar satire of any culture, but nobody else would get it. US cultural export is insane compared to any other country, and that's how someone across the world can get all those references. I mean hell I pretty much learned english from bioware rpgs.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the southwest is fallout's natural habitat and where all the games should be set

I'll allow them to go north up to Reno/Tahoe but that's it

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Vic posted:

US cultural export is insane compared to any other country, and that's how someone across the world can get all those references. I mean hell I pretty much learned english from bioware rpgs.

Yeah, there's that. Still would be interesting to see if it's possible to do something similar with a different culture.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

itry posted:

Yeah, there's that. Still would be interesting to see if it's possible to do something similar with a different culture.

Well here's the thing: It's a "make american chernobyl story" kinda situation. Fallout Japan is also a really bad idea. Like I would argue Godzilla is Japanese Fallout. And Metro and Stalker is Russian Fallout.

Fallout only works as a self reflective thing, and bringing it outside defeats the whole purpose. There needs to be super cartoonishly anti-american thing in a postapo soviet setting but that's a hard sell

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

itry posted:

It's so you can feel drained and exhuasted just like the characters. When you finish the game you can lie down and sigh in relief.

Wait, that's not it. It's just bad.

:haibrower:

Honestly thats dead on describing how I'm feeling toward the game, so they succeeded

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I guess fallout has run its course and no longer has any room left to innovate

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Vic posted:

Well here's the thing: It's a "make american chernobyl story" kinda situation. Fallout Japan is also a really bad idea. Like I would argue Godzilla is Japanese Fallout. And Metro and Stalker is Russian Fallout.

Fallout only works as a self reflective thing, and bringing it outside defeats the whole purpose. There needs to be super cartoonishly anti-american thing in a postapo soviet setting but that's a hard sell

Metro is a Russian version of a nuclear post-apocalyptic story, but it's not really a Fallout-like world.

I'm not actually invested in the idea of making a Fallout-like self-aware parody of another culture other than 50's US, but saying that the only possible candidate for that could be the USSR is pretty interesting, because that in itself strikes me as americana. Funny thing is, it sounds right to me too. I guess that heavy cultural export is really hard to shake.

Edit:

Hector Delgado posted:

Honestly thats dead on describing how I'm feeling toward the game, so they succeeded

Just think, when you're done you can move on to better and more interesting games.

itry fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 17, 2021

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

I dunno about STALKER 2. I don't remember just Kramering into a warehouse full of bad guys and unloading the magazine from the hip. But it did look like invincibility was on in that trailer.

The faces are incredible but there's no way in hell the final product will look that good.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm sure Russians will mod stalker 2 to be miserably hardcore, even if there is a built in survival mode

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

I'm sure Russians will mod stalker 2 to be miserably hardcore, even if there is a built in survival mode

have you heard of our lord and savior, Pathologic 2?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Vic posted:

Honestly, the only way I could consider making this game would be if it was all "tally-ho!" Blitz-spirit, all well meaning and good, "stiff upper lip and all that, mustn't grumble" etc but with INCREDIBLY overt jingoism. I think basically the vibe of We Happy Few, but WW2 themed instead of 60s.

Doing a pastiche of British Tropes doesn't work, because we're utterly ashamed of them, putting them in the limelight isn't satirical, it's just kitch / gauche.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

fridge corn posted:

Yes. Give up the idea of franchise it's stupid.

itry posted:

Funny thing is, it sounds right to me too. I guess that heavy cultural export is really hard to shake.

No that's just the cold war.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/StreamHatchet/status/1405218991518461956?s=20

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Devolver nearly topping Square Enix says quite a bit there lol. But is also right and proper

Breetai posted:

Subnautica is best played with survival mode on. It is not only the best survival game but is also the only good survival game.

I only slightly disagree, in that subnautica is best played in freedom mode and there are NO good survival games

Barudak posted:

Reminder Nintendo released a remaster of a game and of the very few new features it offered, improved fast travel was one of them. To access this, however, you needed to buy a 30 dollar amiibo.

Exploitation top 5:

1) Star Citizen
2) Nintendo
3) EA (I guess, I don't really know)
4) All other large publishers
5) Indie games

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Vic posted:

Coffee bars, jazz-loving mods, leather-clad American rock fans, vicious colonial wars as the empire ends, Carribbean immigrants (also bringing calypso and ska), Fascists (but a bit different from the 30s/WWII version), modernist architecture including large-scale council estates.

Colin MacInnes' novel Absolute Beginners is the go-to for the feel. You can do it, and I think you can make it work, but it would take effort.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Play posted:

Devolver nearly topping Square Enix says quite a bit there lol. But is also right and proper

I only slightly disagree, in that subnautica is best played in freedom mode and there are NO good survival games

Exploitation top 5:

1) Star Citizen
2) Nintendo
3) EA (I guess, I don't really know)
4) All other large publishers
5) Indie games

have you heard of this free game called fortnite?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Subnautica was super frustrating because a) turning off survival mode didn't give me infinite oxygen and there was no way to just get building materials and I cannot fathom how anyone doesn't get immediately bored breaking open rocks looking for the needed to start random loot and b) I could not figure out how in the hell to progress on the crashed space ship early on and the lack of fast travel meant I didn't want to try again.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Subnautica was super frustrating because a) turning off survival mode didn't give me infinite oxygen and there was no way to just get building materials and I cannot fathom how anyone doesn't get immediately bored breaking open rocks looking for the needed to start random loot and b) I could not figure out how in the hell to progress on the crashed space ship early on and the lack of fast travel meant I didn't want to try again.

you played it wrong. subnautica isnt sea minecraft its more like an adventure game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

you played it wrong. subnautica isnt sea minecraft its more like an adventure game

Is there another, different Subnautica you're talking about?

The one I played required me to build ships and equipment to swim deeper, through radiation, swim faster and lots of equipment I did build degraded over time. All of that crafting required loot which was random drops from identical looking rocks. At one point I looked up a guide to find the next material, only to find out I was in the right place, just nothing I opened gave me what I needed.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

There will never be another game as good as Tie Fighter

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fridge corn posted:

Whoa how did this post from 1998 get here?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Good soup! posted:

Sure, Tie Fighter practically invented the mechanics that are present in all modern 2D fighting games, and that level where you beat up a car is timeless. My favorite character was Half-Windsor

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Good soup! posted:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I quit Subnautica after I found the last Degasi base, and had no more hints as to how/where to progress other than running around grinding mats for prawn/seamoth upgrade modules.
It didn't help that I built my base around the starting area and it took ages to drive over to the other side of the island where presumably more stuff was (and then drive back with an inventory full of new crafting mats, and then go back over again, and then...), but actually lifting up and moving my base would've been way too much effort because of all the item storage I'd need to slowly shuffle back and forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Lots of ragging on the Fallout London trailer but you do realize it's a fan made mod? I think it looks pretty darn good for a mod.