Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Image dump incoming. Past couple month's purchases. Skipped record store day and went back over to goon owned Prospector Records. I sold a stack of my Beatles dupes and some various other things so I had a bunch of credit. Still ended up spending too much there haha.

Lots of funky stuff. David Ruffin, Melvin Van Peebles, some funk and soul compilations and a breaks record with 2 copies so I can practice my beat juggling LOL.

Some other records came in the mail. Some instrumental hip hop beats, Savila, King Gizzard Demos from (goon owned again)NeedleJuice Records

More KGLW. I love that they don't use shrink wrap and put it in a paper bag. gently caress shrink wrap forever. And holy poo poo is that Warfaring Strangers cover the best ever.

I also have a 'new' radio show on Radio RapTZ I believe the time slot is changing to the every second Saturday of the month at 7pm (Paris, France time) or 10am PST. It is also still available on https://www.mixcloud.com/mawesome/ Pretty much the same format. Just playing all my records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

sporklift posted:

More KGLW. I love that they don't use shrink wrap and put it in a paper bag. gently caress shrink wrap forever. And holy poo poo is that Warfaring Strangers cover the best

This album art is SICK

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

sporklift posted:

Some other records came in the mail. Some instrumental hip hop beats, Savila, King Gizzard Demos from (goon owned again)NeedleJuice Records

Oh! I had no idea goon(s) owned Needlejuice, that's awesome. I have one 猫 シ Corp album pre-ordered from them, and another one awaiting shipment.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

This album art is SICK

That album is SICK too. It's one of my favorites and an extremely well curated compilation, assuming you like obscure heavy fuzzy psychedelic music mostly about drugs. Tbh I wish I could find more music like these songs but it's not as easy as it seems, normal rear end psych music gets wandery at times or doesn't go all in on the heavy sound.

Pro choice btw sporklift.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

sounds up my alley imma check it out now

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Turbinosamente posted:

That album is SICK too. It's one of my favorites and an extremely well curated compilation, assuming you like obscure heavy fuzzy psychedelic music mostly about drugs. Tbh I wish I could find more music like these songs but it's not as easy as it seems, normal rear end psych music gets wandery at times or doesn't go all in on the heavy sound.

Pro choice btw sporklift.

There is another comp in the series http://www.numerogroup.com/d/warfaring-strangers-darkscorch-canticles and the Brown Acid series does a pretty good job of scratching that itch. https://www.ridingeasyrecs.com/brown-acid-series/ I bought the combo pack of the first ten not to long ago and is relatively cheap for ten records. https://www.ridingeasyrecs.com/product/brown-acid-combo-set/

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

sounds up my alley imma check it out now

I assume you found it but it is called Acid Nightmares for anyone else curious. I like some songs better than others, but I don't think there's one I totally hate or anything. The whole thing flows together real well, like you're on a drug trip that went bad.

edit: I'll have to check those out. I had heard of Brown Acid but wasn't quite sure about getting into such a massive series. Or I didn't like one random rear end song I checked out on an album or some such.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 16, 2021

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Turbinosamente posted:

I assume you found it but it is called Acid Nightmares for anyone else curious. I like some songs better than others, but I don't think there's one I totally hate or anything. The whole thing flows together real well, like you're on a drug trip that went bad.

edit: I'll have to check those out. I had heard of Brown Acid but wasn't quite sure about getting into such a massive series. Or I didn't like one random rear end song I checked out on an album or some such.

You can buy them individually for about $25 each so the set averages $15 each. Like anything this massive it is hit or miss. I listened to this playlist at work a lot Brown Acid 1-11 so I was sure I would dig most of it.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Latest package from Japan, rounding out the YMO and Omega Tribe collections, a little Yukihiro Takahashi stuff, some lounge bossa nova featuring Akira Ishikawa, some Okinawan folk and some punk-y metal with slap bass

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Here's a bunch of download codes I'm never giing to use. The first two will work. The rest probably won't but it's free poo poo maybe, so try it! Maybe they will work but get snatched up by lurkers. Maybe one of you will get greedy and take them all. That's a dick move but I can't stop you! Life is a rollercoaster! Codes are case sensitive.

polyvinylrecords.com/iheartvinyl

Diane Coffee - Internet Arms: 5TA7WJ6AS4XFU5GJ
Man On Man - s/t: 7Y77BUCVH4VJETVG

urpressing.com/downloads

The White Stripes s/t: 12_19302_19670
De Stijl: 12_19227_j8d800
White Blood Cells: 12_19234_b27490
Jack White - Lazaretto: 12_24386r76720
Black Sabbath - 13: UN_18593_m08i00

midheaven.com/downloadcode

Ty Segall Band - Slaughterhouse: A0ADCF317D

bellauniondownlaods.com/transangelic
Ezra Furman - Transangelic Exodus: TRX801914313

soundtrax.com

I have no idea what this is for!: Bwt4WrqF

joyfulnoiserecordings.com/digital

various artists sampler:
catalog#: JNR00
code: 23724B4H

sonhouse.downloadthisrecord.com

Son House - Live At Oberlin College, April 15, 1965: 6WMWNYD

davidbowie.com/blackstarvinyl

David Bowie - Blackstar: BXNYETXDEYC3ZNZ

backtoblackvinyl.com

Maybe Nirvana In Utero: K72Q8E5K8

dropcards.com/M83

M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming: JVN5722VH

subpop.com/download_code

Flight of the Conchords - Pencils in the Wind/Albi the Racist Dragon (this one is from the very first Record Store Day, OMG!): 3x4bftnss52n

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I snagged DeStijl, Lazaretto and the Flight of the Conchords, thanks!

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Someone tell me about Dark Side of the Moon pressings. Is it worth spending money on an Original Master Recording one? I've wanted the album for a while but after hearing about how there are a million and a half reissues of varying quality, have always been unsure if I should just pick up the first cheap-ish copy I see (i.e., just buy it on Amazon for $30) or actually shell out for a supposedly good version.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

z0331 posted:

Someone tell me about Dark Side of the Moon pressings. Is it worth spending money on an Original Master Recording one? I've wanted the album for a while but after hearing about how there are a million and a half reissues of varying quality, have always been unsure if I should just pick up the first cheap-ish copy I see (i.e., just buy it on Amazon for $30) or actually shell out for a supposedly good version.

If you like the album enough to pay for the MoFi version, I’m sure it will sound good. That’s all I got.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

BigFactory posted:

If you like the album enough to pay for the MoFi version, I’m sure it will sound good. That’s all I got.

That's fair. I get that the answer is pretty much just a big "It depends." I guess I'm just wondering if/how much people overstate the difference in quality for different versions of DSotM. Because there's a big different between paying $30 and $125 or more for the same album.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

z0331 posted:

That's fair. I get that the answer is pretty much just a big "It depends." I guess I'm just wondering if/how much people overstate the difference in quality for different versions of DSotM. Because there's a big different between paying $30 and $125 or more for the same album.

I think Steve Jackson forums has threads about stuff like that, but a lot of it might be nonsense.

The other thing to consider is that depending on your setup, you might not be able to really tell the difference between a great pressing and a merely ok one.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

z0331 posted:

Choose whichever option isn't buying it for $30 on Amazon

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I have a few of those recent remasters of the Pink Floyd records and they all sound phenomenal. I also have a Japanese pressing of The Wall i found at a garage sale for like $10 and that's sounds pretty amazing too. It's hard to mess up with a Floyd release if its either an original, MoFI, recent remaster or a Japanese pressing in my experience.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

screaden posted:

Latest package from Japan, rounding out the YMO and Omega Tribe collections, a little Yukihiro Takahashi stuff, some lounge bossa nova featuring Akira Ishikawa, some Okinawan folk and some punk-y metal with slap bass

drat that's an impressive haul. always wanted Technodelic with the original cover. I really wish I could find the original version of YMO's debut, the one with Acrobat & the bass-heavy mixes. I too have scored a copy of Neuromantic recently and I'm astounded by how good it is. it didn't click with me when I first heard it, now I kinda think it's as good as some YMO albums

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

The Dark Side of the Moon you can get at just Target or Wal Mart is an amazing pressing with really high reviews. I have a copy and it blew me away. Don't bother with the mofi.

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon

Url: https://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-The-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon/release/9296607

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

z0331 posted:

I'd recommend agains the mofi just because it's really expensive. If you don't feel like holding out until you find some run of the mill pressing in as record store or flea market the reissue is probably fine but I'd advise against getting it from Amazon. A lot of times the way they package records is terrible, buy it from a site that sell's records specifically or a dealer's online shop. But that reissue is very easy to find and you're likely to find it in a Target or Wallmart even. Non-record stores that sell a small selection of records all have the same stuff which is usually a few albums by popular current artists and then a whole bunch of the various rock classics like than and Abbey Road and stuff of that era.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Thanks all. Ended up ordering the reissue off Discogs. (For what it's worth I wouldn't have used Amazon. It appears sold out at my local Target and B&N.) I think I more or less just needed to hear that that version is fine. Local record store has the mofi for $125, which is well over what I want to pay for a record but it's also cheaper than I've seen it go for elsewhere so a part of me kept thinking about it. Another place I've been to had it for $300. Apparently still sealed but that just seems absurd.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

z0331 posted:

Thanks all. Ended up ordering the reissue off Discogs. (For what it's worth I wouldn't have used Amazon. It appears sold out at my local Target and B&N.) I think I more or less just needed to hear that that version is fine. Local record store has the mofi for $125, which is well over what I want to pay for a record but it's also cheaper than I've seen it go for elsewhere so a part of me kept thinking about it. Another place I've been to had it for $300. Apparently still sealed but that just seems absurd.

When you get it you should post your thoughts here. That thing blew me away after only hearing the CD for years.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I buy too many records from amazon. they overpackage them up here - usually in a vinyl cardboard mailer thing that gets put inside another cardboard box with some PET bubbles. Have never ever had an issue with damage. I gotta stop it's just too convenient.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

The Walrus posted:

I buy too many records from amazon. they overpackage them up here - usually in a vinyl cardboard mailer thing that gets put inside another cardboard box with some PET bubbles. Have never ever had an issue with damage. I gotta stop it's just too convenient.

Yeah so far I've been lucky too, and they're usually in at least a record mailer. Today's record was and showed up just fine. What was not fine was the Criterion edition of A Hard Day's Night in which the DVD fell out of the holder and is all scratched to piss. It seems the universe does not want me to have or watch a decent version of a goddamn Beatles movie.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Also good from amazon was the one time they sent me a copy of Elton John's Diamonds instead of Not The Actual Events. Then they did it again. And refunded me for both! And then put Diamonds on a massive sale a couple weeks later so I guess they found some inventory lol.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Turbinosamente posted:

Yeah so far I've been lucky too, and they're usually in at least a record mailer. Today's record was and showed up just fine. What was not fine was the Criterion edition of A Hard Day's Night in which the DVD fell out of the holder and is all scratched to piss. It seems the universe does not want me to have or watch a decent version of a goddamn Beatles movie.

As someone who bought some Criterion DVDs back about 9 years ago when I didn’t have a Blu-ray player... buy the Blu-ray. Because if/when the title goes out of print, Blu-rays will be much pricier on the aftermarket than the DVD edition.

And get a Blu-ray player of course

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

pwn posted:

As someone who bought some Criterion DVDs back about 9 years ago when I didn’t have a Blu-ray player... buy the Blu-ray. Because if/when the title goes out of print, Blu-rays will be much pricier on the aftermarket than the DVD edition.

And get a Blu-ray player of course

This was the DVD/bluray combo pack. Don't worry, the bluray disc is a little scuffed too. I'm chalking it up to not great packaging design for holding the discs in securely. Hopefully I get lucky on the replacement copy. Some day I'll get me a bluray player that isn't a dying PS3 now that they've become cheap.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

z0331 posted:

Here is a YT video comparing 6 versions with samples.

If you want a TL:DW skip to 5:36.

https://youtu.be/GrOkYi5Hz3A

I have only bought one Mofi Album new and it was Rumor and Sigh by Richard Thompson since the original pressing was CD Era and costs $200 while the mofi was only $40 on Amazon.

Awesome album and sounds amazing. But aside from that I'm only buying Mofi or Superdisc if I find them in the wild for cheap.

I just found a Carly Simon Boys in the Trees Superdisc for $1 at a thrift store a few weeks ago.

I also once found the Original Mofi Train Sound Effects Album that started the label and was the reason for the name but the record was scratched to piss. Probably should have taken it for the Jacket.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2984599?utm_source=mobile&utm_medium=app&utm_campaign=Android%20App

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Remember when you could just grab one outta the dollar bin?

To be fair it is pretty scuffed up and definitely has some mild rice crispy action going on during the quiet parts. But it doesn't sound that bad. I think all boomer rock sounds better that way though :shrug:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I've visited MoFi's (well Music Direct's) warehouse a few times and managed to score a handful of their releases relatively cheap. They have a real big record "store" in part of their warehouse that just seems like some passion project of one of their employees. It's generally picked over but there is a LOT of poo poo so if you're ever in the Andersonville neighborhood of Chicago (might only be open on Saturday?), give them a visit.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I have a few mofi pressings and I don't know that I'd say they sound so outrageously good that they live up to the hype. I have plenty of other all analog remasters from that early.mid 2000s period that were just Rhino reissues or whatever that are some of the best sounding discs in my collection. The Nick Drake reissues from a few years back are also very good. Two of the three are mastered from the original tapes. The one exception is Bryter Layter. The tapes from that record are lost so I have no idea what it's sourced from.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

my turn in the barrel posted:

Here is a YT video comparing 6 versions with samples.

If you want a TL:DW skip to 5:36.

https://youtu.be/GrOkYi5Hz3A

Thanks, that was interesting. The 2016 one actually sounded the most flat to me, but still basically fine.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
yea I've got a dollar bin DSOTM as well, actually had to glue the cover back together but hosed it up lmao. dunno if I like the album enough to invest in a decent copy but I guess if there's one album you really wanna hear in extreme hi-fi that's the one.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Chris Hannah of Propagandhi is selling off pieces of his personal vinyl collection, via a Winnipeg record store. '80s and early '90s punk and metal, with more being listed every Sunday. Only problem is that shipping from Canada is a bit of a fucker right now.

https://www.discogs.com/seller/eyeandearcontrol/profile

here's what I picked up:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I've mostly spared you guys and dolls from my latest acquisitions but this one is really outstanding. This must be the oldest record or, in this case, five-record set of its kind that I have. It looks to be 78s. And I still don't have a record player suitable for that.

And you say there's no such thing as NM! Looks like it's never been played for some reason!

ED: Somebody made a huge donation of 78s to my local Habitat and I was there making a donation at the time. All the others were classical though and I think most orchestral recordings were rather poor at that time due to mixers not being invented yet.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 17, 2021

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Why did you buy a record of Roger Stone teaching how to speak?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

z0331 posted:

Why did you buy a record of Roger Stone teaching how to speak?

Oh come on, this guy appears to have a forehead.

And my other one from the Habitat, one from Victor Records:

ED: This is a 3-record set too, barely played if ever, probably sounds like doodoo. Never heard of this version of Jungle Book though.

Apparently, it's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaNRStgRgl8

petit choux fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 18, 2021

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Love it when vinyl arrives a week before streaming

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I got plenty of other things recently but Herb is inevitable, thanks pwn!

So in other news is anyone hype for the Sparks documentary hitting US theaters tomorrow? I'm hoping to be able to go see it this weekend, sometime, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Turbinosamente posted:

So in other news is anyone hype for the Sparks documentary hitting US theaters tomorrow? I'm hoping to be able to go see it this weekend, sometime, maybe.
My friends and I are hitting the theater on Sunday because if there's something I know, it's other loving dorks. :getin:

Waxwork's putting out the 4 LP box set tomorrow. There's no way it's not going to be way too expensive, so I hope it's at least swanky, too.