Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
https://www.bicycleworkshop.co.uk/ Has closed and he has some real high end gear on fire sale to get rid of - I’d call him first to confirm dates and stuff because the lockdowns have made it hard for him to get to his stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

learnincurve posted:

https://www.bicycleworkshop.co.uk/ Has closed and he has some real high end gear on fire sale to get rid of - I’d call him first to confirm dates and stuff because the lockdowns have made it hard for him to get to his stock.

It says they closed in 2017?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

Just rest and recuperate until you see your PT. Keep taking the ibuprofen and keeping your legs elevated.

I mean this in the nicest way possible but please stop trying to find the cure to everything on the internet. Anything you do now could be making the underlying issue worse and prolonging the recovery period. It is okay to just stop. Take a week off and just recuperate.

We can make suggestions but we don't know your specific situation. We had no idea your bike was so small relative to your height for instance and knowing this now would have drastically changed my advice earlier in the thread. Your PT will be able to do a proper assessment and work out the best route for you to take, not people on a message board.

I have stopped biking!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

It says they closed in 2017?

Ninon kept hold of some of the stock and is selling it via the old website, check out the bars on the left for updates but like I said, call him on the number first.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

serious gaylord posted:

I mean this in the nicest way possible but please stop trying to find the cure to everything on the internet.

This should be the default google result for anyone who searches a medical thing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

bicievino posted:

This is all true, but his rims are 24mm wide.

Meaning already too wide for speed? I think it's fine for road.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

highme posted:

For example, this bit about the Falls Creek lava caves you can visit on the June route through Gifford Pinchot NF.

http://www.omtm.cc/june-falls-creek-hinterland
I really need to go do this ride.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

ive been riding consistently again since my injury and now ive got The Hunger™.

love being calorie negative.

:munch::guinness:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Guinness posted:

The other part is mental endurance. Mind over matter. Find the rhythm, settle in to a groove, you can do it.

My first metric century I had some of my favourite music on my bonephones and I was literally dancing in the drops with happiness.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Is there anyway of limiting what notifications come through on your wahoo? One of my favourite things about being on the bike is having no distractions (will happily do 6 hours with my own thoughts) but would like to get messages from my wife and riding group.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Have to be a phone-end thing, the head units aren't that smart and just show what the phone tells them to show.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
my wahoo bolt only shows me text, nothing else

I had to turn off all notifications on my Garmin Fenix because it was sending me notifications from every loving app and there's no way to filter them down

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

BraveUlysses posted:

my wahoo bolt only shows me text, nothing else

I had to turn off all notifications on my Garmin Fenix because it was sending me notifications from every loving app and there's no way to filter them down

There's been an update recently that sends more stuff

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

There's been an update recently that sends more stuff

Yeah you get WhatsApp and emails through now too.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've not tried it but I wonder if putting do not disturb on but allowing wife chat to override would work (android that is)

You can filter by app on Garmin, I imagine wahoo will introduce it eventually

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

kimbo305 posted:

Meaning already too wide for speed? I think it's fine for road.

Nah, I meant not wide enough to optimize around anything but 23mm.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I hadn’t realised that wahoo had enabled Whatsapp notifications until I was riding along and one of my group chats lit up and I was getting beeps every 5 seconds. I missed a turn because it covered half the map!

I wonder if you can just disable notifications in the phone for WhatsApp temporarily. I used to like it when it was SMS only because I never receive them but my partner knew she could use it to get through to me if needed.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

The Gorman 5200 I got from Wish.com notifies me of great bargains that I can easily charge to my credit card while riding.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Okay, bike update. My PT actually told me today to try out the new fit so I did.

Also remember that I'm not a bike expert like many of you all, so please be kind!

The seat height was set at 31.5". I tried getting on, and I couldn't. Not on an incline, not on a flat surface, and it was difficult even on a downslope. I always start out at this big intersection where I am on a slight incline, surrounded by cars, and I felt completely terrified and helpless. I even tried just pushing down on the pedals (while also boosting up to the seat) without clipping in initially, but sometimes the shoe would kind of slip off the pedal.

So I lowered it a bit. The same. Then some more, and some more...

Eventually I came to the height where, while seated, my tippy toes could just touch enough of the ground to stabilize myself if necessary, which is what I need to feel comfortable. This was around 29.75".

I stopped by another bike shop on the way home because I was so distressed. Summary:

It's possible your bike is too small for your size of riding, but would be better for a more aggressive rider. However this doesn't mean you have to get a whole new bike (see below)

They used some sort of spring loaded device to measure my inseam - not sure what this is called, but I'm sure you've seen it - it has a level on top. Using the "lemond rule" this gave a seat height of... 32"!!!???

Obviously 32" won't work for me - while seated my feet would be like 2" off the ground. I'm sure there are people that can ride like this, but not me.

However, there are other changes that can be made that would help, while keeping this bike and the 29.75-30" seat height:

1) get a wider handlebar width. My current one is 42 cm. They had me set on a 57.5 salsa war bird that had a 46 cm handlebar with, and it was MUCH better. I no longer had to bend my arms inward. They suggested 44 cm. They also measured my shoulder width before suggesting this number.

2) get a stem with a higher angle, so my handlebars raise up - ideally, the handlebar height would be similar to the seat height.

So there's that, and it wouldn't cost much to do, maybe like 130 total.

The other option is to just give up the ghost and sell the bike, and buy something with a more appropriate geometry later. Given the market I could probably get close to what I paid for it (1700) ? But who knows about getting something new in my size.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 18, 2021

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
You're not supposed to be able to touch the ground with flat feet while sitting on a bike, at least not unless you want a fit for beach cruising.

When you come to a stop, unclip one foot and lean your bike over slightly, keep your other foot clipped in while standing on the free foot. You should be out of the saddle by now and "standing" over the top tube. When you start moving again, push down on the clipped in pedal/foot. You never need to have both feet flat on the ground or even tippy toes.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 18, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

You're not supposed to be able to touch the ground with flat feet while sitting on a bike, at least not unless you want a fit for beach cruising.

I know, I only need to touch my tippy toes, which is all that contacts the ground at the 29.75" seat height.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

actionjackson posted:

I know, I only need to touch my tippy toes, which is all that contacts the ground at the 29.75" seat height.

No, nobody does this. Get out of the saddle when you are stopped.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

It is not typical or required to be able to touch both feet to the ground while on the saddle on a road bike.

Here's how to get on to a bike.

1) tilt the bike sideways

2) throw your leg over it

3) bring the bike back upright. don't try to sit on the seat yet, have your body between the saddle and the handlebars.

4) clip your foot in

5) push off

6) step up on to the saddle

7) clip your other foot in

If putting both your feet on the ground while seated is a requirement for you, you're gonna have to get a loving dropper post or buy a cruiser bike or something.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TobinHatesYou posted:

No, nobody does this. Get out of the saddle when you are stopped.

Agreed.

55 seconds if it doesn’t load.
https://youtu.be/YAoDWcv-eMY?t=55s

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m also really struggling to wrap my head around how a wider bar or higher bars are going to help with your saddle height in any way.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Okay, he's doing it, but he also looks hella awkward and unstable.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

TobinHatesYou posted:

Okay, he's doing it, but he also looks hella awkward and unstable.

He isn't even putting both toes on the ground, just one, while shifting his position in the saddle to be able to do it since his other-side-leg is up.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah that video isn’t the best. Surprisingly not super easy to find a good example.

https://youtu.be/wpMQ6rK0hvw

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

bicievino posted:

He isn't even putting both toes on the ground, just one, while shifting his position in the saddle to be able to do it since his other-side-leg is up.

That too. I think the only time I even do that is if my unclipped foot has higher ground like a sidewalk/curb to step on so I don't have to tippy toes. Why would I want to scuff up the toe box or the lug/bumper on my shoe instead of the disposable cleat...

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Do this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRUGjp0wi2c

or, gently caress, just do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq0ruTYPPaM

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Track stand forever and never unclip

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

In that video at 1:14, you can see that his tippy toes contact the ground while on the seat. This is exactly how I am at that 29.75" mark. I do not have my whole foot contacting the ground.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

actionjackson posted:

In that video at 1:14, you can see that his tippy toes contact the ground while on the seat. This is exactly how I am at that 29.75" mark. I do not have my whole foot contacting the ground.

Do you see how he's leaning the bike to achieve that?
Just do that with your seat at the correct height and it will be fine.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
I have four bikes that I can't even do that on. There's no practical need for that specifically. I'm off the saddle when I'm stopped and I get back on when it's time to go.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

actionjackson posted:

I think that Cycling Weekly video is pretty bad and not quite indicative of good practice. In that situation, he's stopped for only a split second...he probably didn't even need to put a foot down at all. For a complete stop and waiting for traffic, I generally want to be in a medium gear ratio and straddling the TT. Once on my way, that means I get more torque going into the crank from standing on the pedal rather than having my weight on the saddle.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

alright, I guess I'll have to work up to it. 31.5" seemed REALLY high up though, just in general when riding. Is that device my bike shop used different than how you can measure it yourself at home? I came up with inseams in the 32.5-33" range while wearing my shoes, but according to this my inseam is... 36.2"???

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 18, 2021

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

actionjackson posted:

This is a great way to fall on your left side after a gust of wind blows or a bee spooks you

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

actionjackson posted:

alright, I guess I'll have to work up to it. 31.5" seemed REALLY high up though, just in general when riding. Is that device my bike shop used different than how you can measure it yourself at home? I came up with inseams in the 32.5-33" range while wearing my shoes, but according to this my inseams is... 36.2"???

Honestly even measuring wrong shouldn't result in a >3in discrepancy. When measuring your inseam with a book you should be standing with your feet slightly apart as if you are riding a bicycle, and then jam the binding of the book into your crotch in an uncomfortable fashion. The device the shop used is probably some old school FitKit thing.

Do it against a wall so that the edge of the book can rest squarely against it. Mark the wall with a pencil.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

alright, well in either case I'll try to work myself up to 31.5", I would imagine it's going to take a lot of practice.

With the handlebar and stem thing, i just noticed that a wider handlebar was more comfortable - my arms were just going straight out instead of angling inwards. I know this is a separate thing from the saddle but maybe it would be a good idea since I have broader shoulders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I’m ready to drop a watt bomb.