Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Neo Rasa posted:

This was the only thing in the episode I kind of didn't get. Like they way they first talk about it it's like it would have to be a real deal like this particular part of the universe has been obliterated or a whole planet blew up kind of situation.

They might just be wanting to follow the Civil War mindset of keeping actual casualties hilariously low for what's going on

Pretty convinced the time-keepers are going to be three different versions of Kang, like Kang, Immortus, and Ultimate Kang or something

They say that the "apocalypse level" is determined by how many people survive the event.

Some people survived Asgard.

Nobody survived Alabama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Like, it feels blatantly obvious that the Sacred Timeline is NOT the timeline that works out the best for everybody in some overall utilitarian sense (and even if that were the case, those who suffer "necessary" catastrophes for others' benefit would have some legitimate moral objections).

It's pretty obviously "Sacred" because it's the very timeline that installs the Timekeepers in power and wins them the war. History literally being written by the victors.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Terror Sweat posted:

The three dudes are some guys who can see the future and are just eliminating every single future that isn't them ruling the universe

My baseless speculation is that the "Sacred Timeline" is a bunch of bullshit and that the Timekeepers are only really keeping the MCU sealed off from the rest of the multiverse. The reason they prune the "variant" timelines is because having more than one path weakens their hold on this timeline, and what Lady Loki is trying to do is put the MCU back into the bigger multiverse, for good or ill.

thrawn527 posted:

So question. If the Avengers were supposed to go back in time, but Loki was not supposed to grab the tessaract, and the TVA pruned that timeline, wouldn’t that undo Cap and Tony going back to the 70's to get the tesseract? They went back because Loki took it, but if the timeline is pruned, wouldn’t they not have gone back?

This is specifically about going to the 70's, not any other time heist shenanigans.

No, because the Timekeepers had already decreed that Steve and Tony would go back to the 70s. No, they did not decree that Loki would escape to Mongolia. We will not be taking any more questions at this time.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If we want to get really deep in the weeds here, the Steve and Tony didn't get pruned because they couldn't be--they still had to get the Space Stone somehow because the TVA certainly couldn't just give it back. And it doesn't really matter how they get it, just that they do.

Of course, I'm probably putting more thought into this than it deserves because it's a blatant retcon that actually serves the story by existing in that it makes the Timekeepers seem that much more capricious and arbitrary.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I guess the argument could be that Tony and Steve didn't leave enough of a footprint in the 70s to cause a branch (or if they did, it was easily resettable, and they didn't need to be detained as variants because they got back on their path pronto). But lets be real, a lot of this stuff is fuckin calvinball.

The timekeepers apparently allowed someone to straight-up kill their own past self, so they clearly don't mind time travel loops and paradoxes as long as the outcome works out. Otherwise, Endgame would have ended the same way Monty Python and the Holy Grail did.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Supercar Gautier posted:

The timekeepers apparently allowed someone to straight-up kill their own past self, so they clearly don't mind time travel loops and paradoxes as long as the outcome works out.

Bit of a digression but this is Nebula, right? Took me a second to figure out who you were referring to here.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Supercar Gautier posted:

I guess the argument could be that Tony and Steve didn't leave enough of a footprint in the 70s to cause a branch (or if they did, it was easily resettable, and they didn't need to be detained as variants because they got back on their path pronto). But lets be real, a lot of this stuff is fuckin calvinball.

The timekeepers apparently allowed someone to straight-up kill their own past self, so they clearly don't mind time travel loops and paradoxes as long as the outcome works out. Otherwise, Endgame would have ended the same way Monty Python and the Holy Grail did.

No, the argument is that Cap and Tony already exist in a branch. The one created by Loki stealing the Tesseract. The one pruned by the TVA in Mongolia.

Maybe time traveling took them out of the branch? Since the 70s was before the branch was created? I don't know.

night slime
May 14, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

Why is the destruction of Asgard a lower level apocalypse event than a hurricane in Alabama?

Hurricanes are more powerful than nukes

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Try not to think about time travel in TV shows too hard.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I can't wrap my head around incomprehensible comic book logic but im sure gonna burn my biscuits trying

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Invalid Validation posted:

Try not to think about time travel in TV shows too hard.

This is why Looper is a great movie, it understands that none of this poo poo actually matters

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

thrawn527 posted:

So question. If the Avengers were supposed to go back in time, but Loki was not supposed to grab the tessaract, and the TVA pruned that timeline, wouldn’t that undo Cap and Tony going back to the 70's to get the tesseract? They went back because Loki took it, but if the timeline is pruned, wouldn’t they not have gone back?

This is specifically about going to the 70's, not any other time heist shenanigans.

The point was that Loki was not supposed to escape with or without the Tesseract. That said, the Endgame Avengers were also not suppose to get the Tesseract there in 2012 because the were supposed to go to 1970 to get it. But yeah, it's all Calvinball. The Timekeepers are Calvin Space Lizards.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Arist posted:

Bit of a digression but this is Nebula, right? Took me a second to figure out who you were referring to here.

Yep. Nebula shooting her past self was a straight-up old-fashioned paradox. So was Thanos' entire army showing up and getting wrecked before they could return to their proper timeline, and an alternate past Gamora showing up and proceeding to live whatever future she's gonna. It all only works if the Sacred Timeline has a few loopy Sacred Branches connecting to 2019.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I guess there were only about 10,000 Asgardians in existence at the time of Ragnarok? And maybe a couple hundred now. Very sad!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The_Doctor posted:

Watched again.

Why is the destruction of Asgard a lower level apocalypse event than a hurricane in Alabama?

I figure in this case it's because there were explicitly no survivors, whereas we know Asgardians survived.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s lower level because they had a retail store set lying around that would cost nothing to use.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012
Future Nebula killing Past Nebula isn't a paradox, since by the rules set in place by the movie, there not the same person, just two versions for the same person.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

AngryBooch posted:

I guess there were only about 10,000 Asgardians in existence at the time of Ragnarok? And maybe a couple hundred now. Very sad!

Thor and Loki are both over 1,500 years old and have no kids.

Asgardians are the Pandas of the Nine Realms.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Hellbore posted:

Future Nebula killing Past Nebula isn't a paradox, since by the rules set in place by the movie, there not the same person, just two versions for the same person.

It's a paradox for a singular unified timeline, which is what the Time-Keepers are all about. It only works if there's a branch stemming from 2014 that's permitted to at least temporarily coexist with the Sacred Timeline.

Now if you were to say that past-Nebula and past-Thanos were variants, and that's why killing them was a-ok with the TVA, that could line up. But it would mean past-Gamora is a variant too (maybe they'll follow up on that and feature the TVA in GotG3, idk).

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 17, 2021

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Technowolf posted:

No, because the Timekeepers had already decreed that Steve and Tony would go back to the 70s. No, they did not decree that Loki would escape to Mongolia. We will not be taking any more questions at this time.
This is a perfectly fine explanation, for my money, and I think a chunk of the thread's (not necessarily you, mind) whole "I don't understand the rules, therefore show bad" analysis is just CinemaSins-level nitpicking disguised as criticism.

The story laid out what's what. It's absolutely okay to not like the rules or the story, but it explained everything necessary for said story, and disappearing up its own ruleset like Shane Carruth isn't what this show needs until it needs it for something, which could be later, as we learn that the "rules" are pretty fascist and terrible or something similar, or it could be never. And it wouldn't be a worse story if it was never.

The Avengers were meant to travel through time, therefore time travel isn't what causes multiversal timeline branching if it's "meant" to happen. That's the important information and they gave it to us.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The Avengers were like TVA agents. They go into other timelines unseen and then "reset" everything in the end. The Sacred Timeline is preserved.

Loki wasn't going to reset everything after escaping.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

MCU TV: CIVIL WAR (OVER JETSKI FINANCING)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Would it be overly cute if we meet the Timekeepers and they turn out to be Kevin Feige, Victoria Alonso, and Louis D'Esposito?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Zero One posted:

The Avengers were like TVA agents. They go into other timelines unseen and then "reset" everything in the end. The Sacred Timeline is preserved.

But they killed a universe's thanos and his army, how does that not change the timeline completely. No guardians in that universe to stop Ronan or Ego, a massive power vacuum form where he was. Half of Asgard doesn't get killed by him, Loki still lives in that universe!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Steve and/or Peggy are the other agent running jobs for the Judge.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Terror Sweat posted:

But they killed a universe's thanos and his army, how does that not change the timeline completely. No guardians in that universe to stop Ronan or Ego, a massive power vacuum form where he was. Half of Asgard doesn't get killed by him, Loki still lives in that universe!

That was a variant Thanos.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

KPC_Mammon posted:

Isn't Loki 500 pounds? The enchantment gave super strength, a normal human can't lift a frost giant.

It's MvC logic. Super powers and godhood withers on the face of successful closing argument.

https://youtu.be/-LILhai7IHI

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

The three dudes are some guys who can see the future and are just eliminating every single future that isn't them ruling the universe

Dune warned us

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Terror Sweat posted:

Two possibilities. First, that timeline is not the Sacred Timeline so it got pruned and doesn't exist anyway.

Two: All of Thanos's future victims go "Oh, thank Skrull Christ that murdering mother-fucker went bye-bye" and maybe a different team of Guardians formed and stopped Ego and Ronan. Hell, Captain Marvel would still be around. Maybe when they got a little frisky, she showed up and kicked their asses into a black hole.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The true plot hole/"this makes no sense" part of this show is that in the first episode Loki said he pulled the DB Cooper stunt when he was "young," but he and Thor are 1000+ years old.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The true plot hole/"this makes no sense" part of this show is that in the first episode Loki said he pulled the DB Cooper stunt when he was "young," but he and Thor are 1000+ years old.

Maybe they're still "teenagers" in terms of Asgardian lifespans?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Thumposaurus posted:

MCU TV: CIVIL WAR (OVER JETSKI FINANCING)
:hmmyes:

thrawn527 posted:

Yes, that's the first meta-textual indication that the TVA isn't as infallible as they claim to be and we should be suspicious of a bunch of soulless, mostly nameless bureaucratic thugs who are run by a conspicuously absent authority while using deliberately outdated technology to visually signify how obsolete their rationale for order is.

Like seriously the visual signifiers used here are not subtle guys.

Zero One posted:

Also this. Steve went back to clean everything up as best he could, and did.

Judging by what the TVA says about Variant Lokis being a persistent problem, they probably have protocol that whenever a Loki does anything outside the norm to just go and round the bastard up because the odds of any version of him fixing things is minimal at best. If anything the weirdest thing is that they haven't instituted a "vaporize on sight" policy for all Lokis.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Thundercracker posted:

Maybe people got sick of Amazon's abusive practices and actually used the Sherman Act to bust up Amazon.

Amazon burns through workers so quickly that executives are worried they'll run out of people to employ, according to a new report

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

He can change his outward appearance and age at will. I mean this is the same Loki who disguised himself as his father for who knows how long.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

AndyElusive posted:

He can change his outward appearance and age at will. I mean this is the same Loki who disguised himself as his father for who knows how long.
Being disguised as an old person doesn't make you old!

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Being disguised as an old person doesn't make you old!

That depends entirely in the quality of your disguise.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Hellbore posted:

That depends entirely in the quality of your disguise.

perhaps if you were disguised in some fine asgardian leathers.... now we're talkin

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Nerds have argued time travel for a myriad. We have some primers here for the discussion ahead

Things of Interest with a quick writeup summary https://qntm.org/models

And the minutephysics video https://youtu.be/d3zTfXvYZ9s

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

perhaps if you were disguised in some fine asgardian leathers.... now we're talkin

Figure when he was disguised as Odin, King of Asgard, Loki was rockin' some drat fine Asgardian leather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

AngryBooch posted:

You know, I think the TVA was probably lazy about that deathcount; most of the deaths related to Ragnarok were probably people killed by Hela and her minions. Thor had pretty clearly evacuated Asgard by the time it was torched.

Then Thanos and his crew wiped out most of the rest.