Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

6 kids? is he mormon or quiverfull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Prolly the latter.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Quiverfull is the one that says to have as many kids as possible to fight in God’s army against the heathens.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'd sooner work myself to death on anything than have 6 kids, christ.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Endorph posted:

frankly if dude has six kids and is rich there's zero reason he should be spending time working instead of taking care of the kids.

He was probably already stupid rich after the first game or two (and assorted merchandising) and I would've definitely been licensing that poo poo off to other devs years ago even without kids.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

watho posted:

weapon durability is good. far cry 2 and dead rising proved that. “but the weapon durability makes those games very annoying” yes and they own because of it

Dead Rising's method of it is great and more games should go that direction. Maybe it's because the combat can be good thanks to there being like hundreds of weapons and like 40 combinable ones that you could use that're cooler and probably more useful. Like Assault Rifle teddy bear or Darth Maul chain saw blades.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Dead Rising's method of it is great and more games should go that direction. Maybe it's because the combat can be good thanks to there being like hundreds of weapons and like 40 combinable ones that you could use that're cooler and probably more useful. Like Assault Rifle teddy bear or Darth Maul chain saw blades.

Not to mention it's a factor that feeds into the time management part of the game too. Lots of different resources to manage and it all flows well such that none of them ever feel out of place, it's great.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dead Rising gradually sanding itself off into dust is a good object lesson.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

frankly if dude has six kids and is rich there's zero reason he should be spending time working instead of taking care of the kids.

You just know for him that'd probably be seen as women's work and a job for his devoted pious wife! :pseudo:

bobjr posted:

Quiverfull is the one that says to have as many kids as possible to fight in God’s army against the heathens.

Why am I not surprised that's a thing? :sigh:

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

the Lindsay Ellis video on the little mermaid was very good but christ did she sound depressed

also that buzzfeed musical sketch about the disney princesses was unbearable

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Alaois posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if he was some strip of Catholic or generic conservative Protestant. Quiverfall types are usually way way way more hosed up and open about being hosed up about their weird beliefs also the Uber hardline evangelicals tend to stay away from anything “paranormal” even writing about it. Him having like 6 kids is the least weird thing in my opinion because that kinda of just a trend with conservative religious types.

Soup du Jour posted:

the Lindsay Ellis video on the little mermaid was very good but christ did she sound depressed

I mean she had some nut job trying to list every mistake she ever made and then sharing it, then she had another friend who was an emotionally abusive rear end in a top hat try to gently caress her over as well, gods know how much bad poo poo there was behind the scenes and how many people she thought were her friends were just looking for an opportunity to toss her under the bus.

Gwen posted:

chances are he was already planning to exit on some level and this just pushed it forward on the priority list. guy is a millionaire he can duck out whenever.

Exactly. Now he has an “excuse”

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Srice posted:

Not to mention it's a factor that feeds into the time management part of the game too. Lots of different resources to manage and it all flows well such that none of them ever feel out of place, it's great.

The first one is like a JRPG 30 years ago to me. It's just all grinding and the combat isn't fun enough to support it. It's Sticker Star but in real time IMO.

Motto posted:

Dead Rising gradually sanding itself off into dust is a good object lesson.

There was a good video on how the series changed and they lost most of the details that the older ones had as time went on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUxJpDtg0Bs

It's just like GTA 4 vs 5. Bodies don't react to being kicked, there's no blood splatter. The series used to be ridiculously open to anything being a weapon. Like you go to the food court and every chair around a table could be picked up- and probably the table too if you wanted- and they lost that. I don't remember if there was like an actual video of someone going over what happened to the studio as they lost those details that was posted in here too but I feel like there was.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There's actually some interesting stuff in the Quinton iCarly video if he'd just cut the hours of just recapping the episodes. Like how he counts all the crimes comitted by the cast or compares them to a kid version of Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

I still don't know why I'm watching it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RareAcumen posted:

The first one is like a JRPG 30 years ago to me. It's just all grinding and the combat isn't fun enough to support it. It's Sticker Star but in real time IMO.

There was a good video on how the series changed and they lost most of the details that the older ones had as time went on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUxJpDtg0Bs

It's just like GTA 4 vs 5. Bodies don't react to being kicked, there's no blood splatter. The series used to be ridiculously open to anything being a weapon. Like you go to the food court and every chair around a table could be picked up- and probably the table too if you wanted- and they lost that. I don't remember if there was like an actual video of someone going over what happened to the studio as they lost those details that was posted in here too but I feel like there was.

What happened is that everything after Dead Rising 1, which was done in-house at Capcom, was outsourced to a different studio. Which by all accounts was gradually mismanaged into nothing and constantly given the short end of the stick by Capcom. This is why Crowbcat's videos are useless comparisons. DR1 and 4 were made in totally different contexts by totally different developers. No poo poo random tiny details aren't consistent between the two. (To say nothing of all the myriad ways that those sorts of things can just fall through the cracks even when the same people are making the game.)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

I'd sooner work myself to death on anything than have 6 kids, christ.

I met a dude once who I'm like 90% certain was a Quiverfull because he was about my age and had four kids already with #5 on the way because he got his girlfriend pregnant before they'd even graduated high school and they just kept on having kids every other year, and he was the grossest, scummiest, most loathsomely amoral person I've ever had the displeasure of meeting in my life thus far. Pretended to be a paragon of virtue and pillar of the community too, just for the kicker.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

As much as youtube loves to make videos about history channel and TLC shows that caused the channel to take a downturn, you don’t see many videos about the Duggars because of how dark and depressing it gets once you get under the surface.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Soup du Jour posted:

The thing that depresses me more than reminding me of how I and everyone else was a shithead online in 2009 is that Disney's new movies aren't actually responding to criticisms of their own films but rather the public perception of their movies. So they're engaging with bad faith arguments rather than dealing with actual issues in their older movies. So Disney once again takes the easy route and battles a flimsy strawman to look woke for click bait crowds.

It's just cynical.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 17, 2021

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

dead rising 2 will always have a place in my heart but yeah the series truly got worse after every iteration. the first game is a masterclass in how stacking seemingly player-unfriendly mechanics can lead to a masterpiece. it’s similar to Farcry 2 and Kane & Lynch 2 in that way

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

MonsieurChoc posted:

There's actually some interesting stuff in the Quinton iCarly video if he'd just cut the hours of just recapping the episodes. Like how he counts all the crimes comitted by the cast or compares them to a kid version of Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

I feel like this is product of teasing iCarly for months before actually seeing how much material there was to mine. Or just hitting a really badly timed case of creator's block.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, there was some legit good stuff in there if he had focused on that aspect instead. He had some good insights about how mean spirited and petty some episodes are. I made it 3 hours in with it on in the background but after he found the random CD in the camera and started watching and recreating it while showing off all the hats he bought I couldn't tolerate it anymore even as BG noise

I couldn't last 30 min into the Fred vid so I guess it was technically an improvement.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
Here's a video about the strange history of Call of Duty Nintendo ports and the online community that sprouted from it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fp6YOVkpjw

I was a hard-line Wii fan when these ports came out and I remembered pouring so many hours into them up until MW3. Kind of a shame that Call of Duty never appeared on the Switch, given that Gyro support has become more popular for FPSes thanks to Splatoon and BOTW. At least there are other franchises on that console that can cover for the FPS audience that Activision left behind, though I hear that certain ports struggle to do it right.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MonsieurChoc posted:

yea I'm in the millennial chunk where iCarly was just a little too late for me to be its target demo so I've got friends who are younger who had it as part of their childhood but know very little about it aside from the memes. I truly cannot care less about him carefully recapping the entire show episode by episode but a video that's just 'this is kinda interesting, you can see how Nick was edging around a less saccharine kinda tone in its humor and had an almost 'It's Always Sunny Jr' feel to it at times with the joke being these kids are kinda dicks' would actually be interesting. I always just kinda lumped it in with the general mush of Hannah Montana-ish shows but from the bits I sat through of the video it does sound like they had an actual attempt at a unique thing there.

Shame about the rampant pedophilia and abuse that infested Nick at the time!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There's some hints that he might talk about that in a next video. Twice he asks "Do you think this line was written by a man or a woman?" and then said that the author was a mystery.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I keep remembering Dead Rising's homophobia and fatphobic bullshit all over the drat place. I wish it didn't keep to that crap.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

sexpig by night posted:

Shame about the rampant pedophilia and abuse that infested Nick at the time!

That rabbit hole is just bleak. Poor Amanda Bynes :(

Actually, poor any female child star

Sea_Caldwell
Feb 5, 2021

Alaois posted:

He would have 16 kids if he was quiverfull.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

McConnell posted:

He would have 16 kids if he was quiverfull.

It was 16 originally but he kept sending them to work at this one pizza place and welp

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jennette McCurdy was in a really bad place for a bit too from what I've heard, although her mother gets some of the blame for that. And as for Jamie Lynn Spears...

watho
Aug 2, 2013

but like is the fact that the creator of icarly is a nonce ever brought up in the video? because if you try to wring 5 hours of content out of it without talking about that fact or how it affected the show and the children involved in it… i know i keep beating this drum and i can understand not wanting your video to be super loving dark but also it’s an inescapable fact of the show that you really really shouldn’t overlook

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

watho posted:

but like is the fact that the creator of icarly is a nonce ever brought up in the video? because if you try to wring 5 hours of content out of it without talking about that fact or how it affected the show and the children involved in it… i know i keep beating this drum and i can understand not wanting your video to be super loving dark but also it’s an inescapable fact of the show that you really really shouldn’t overlook

Not specifically, though it is clear that these kids are forced to do a lot of uncomfortable things.
Though
Since he's only halfway done, he still has time to really get into it.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

watho posted:

He mentions in the video he knows about that stuff, and it'll probably covered in a another video.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Does feel like that might be the single most relevant fact about iCarly in retrospect. People would give you sideeye if you made a video reviewing the quality of every "Jim'll Fix It" prize.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

you’d think that would take higher priority than an episode by episode breakdown though?????

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

watho posted:

you’d think that would take higher priority than an episode by episode breakdown though?????

drake no: talking about the lasting legacy of a show and how it can be tainted by a major figure in it behaving monstrously, especially when you know that behavior targeted people in the show and all.

drake yes: repeating the same plotline over and over

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Solitair posted:

Quinton: "Because nobody really watches iCarly in-depth, and there's a really good reason for that, but I can't remember what it is." :shepface:

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

MonsieurChoc posted:

One of the most fascinating parts of the video to me was when he 'found' that DVD teaching you about becoming iCarly. You would think since he is literally trying to be real-life iCarly that he'd have some thoughts about it; how relevant the advice is, whether they left out any huge components to being an online creator, stuff like that. But nope, his big comment was 'ha, she's reading off cue cards' :circlefap:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also was this ever posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9co2PqKxNWc

I never heard of this guy before but his take on how Sabrina got completely ruined from what could have been an amazing story and all the strange elements to why it sucked is pretty solid and entertaining to listen to.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Kennel posted:

Video games should have durability that goes down if you play them.

Let me tell you about a little phenomenon known as "disc rot".

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Grondoth posted:

That's what I mean, why did he even bother to leave?
Same reason the Brigador nazi did? It cuts off oxygen to the people criticising the things he wants to keep doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

theGrooseofLegend posted:

Here's a video about the strange history of Call of Duty Nintendo ports and the online community that sprouted from it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fp6YOVkpjw

I was a hard-line Wii fan when these ports came out and I remembered pouring so many hours into them up until MW3. Kind of a shame that Call of Duty never appeared on the Switch, given that Gyro support has become more popular for FPSes thanks to Splatoon and BOTW. At least there are other franchises on that console that can cover for the FPS audience that Activision left behind, though I hear that certain ports struggle to do it right.

Hey thanks for posting this. I'm watching it now and its nuts! That stuff about lag shooting and firing from the hip being completely screwed up is wild. I never played any of the cods on Wii online. I had Call of Duty 3 on Wii but only played the campaign. I asked for an Xbox360 for my birthday just to play Call of Duty 4 because it wasn't on wii at the time. When CoD4 did come to the Wii, I didn't regret my decision to get a 360 because I prefered it to the wii since it was more powerful obviously. Had I known how broken the MP on wii was, I would have been extra glad I went with the 360 lol