Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Mr. Wiggles posted:

They may have connected while in the parking lot next to you.

Either that or it's Nissan trying to help out your social life.

I’ve never seen him in that parking lot at the same time as me, and it’s unlikely that he’s ever randomly been close enough to my car for it to pick up his phone by accident. Especially since the parking lot we use is way in the back rear end corner of the woods behind our workplace on top of a drat hill… it ain’t exactly a place you get to accidentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

PainterofCrap posted:

It. Was. This.

After posting the thread, I worked through a ton of GM sites about soft pedals. One guy on a GMC forum posted an identical sequence of events, and finally gave up & took it to a shop. They called within the hour with the news that he installed his calipers upside-down.

I set the truck up this morning for yet another bleed (else it would be a day without sunshine), got under the right rear, and stared at the bleed nipple located at the bottom of the caliper.

We all missed it. It never occurred to me that it could even be possible to install calipers upside-down. The design should not permit it, but here we are.

An hour later, the calipers were swapped and everything is perfect.

Six months.

I wish I had 5 bucks for every time that's happened to someone on a group or forum I'm on. Common mistake. They're usually interchangeable to some degree because it's almost always the same raw casting on both sides, they have two bosses on the back of the piston housing. One gets machined for a banjo bolt, the other for a bleed screw. On the other side they're switched. So yeah if you're not paying attention they go on really easy on the wrong side and then you've got tunnel vision and never notice the bleeders on the bottom until fresh eyes look at it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

I wish I had 5 bucks for every time that's happened to someone on a group or forum I'm on. Common mistake. They're usually interchangeable to some degree because it's almost always the same raw casting on both sides, they have two bosses on the back of the piston housing. One gets machined for a banjo bolt, the other for a bleed screw. On the other side they're switched. So yeah if you're not paying attention they go on really easy on the wrong side and then you've got tunnel vision and never notice the bleeders on the bottom until fresh eyes look at it.

High five from the other thread.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wait which other thread? I gotta catch up

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

kastein posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970678

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

Oh sorry I didn't realize you havent been invited to the AI Advanced Question Thread. With quality answers like this if say you're almost ready.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

StormDrain posted:

Oh sorry I didn't realize you havent been invited to the AI Advanced Question Thread. With quality answers like this if say you're almost ready.

drat it, you beat me by 7 minutes in the other thread :lol:

I didn't even see that one. I need to venture out of my bookmarks and into the main subforum more often.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sorry; I shoulda linked it :/

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I have a 2015 Corolla. How hard would it be to put roof racks onto it and does anyone have any recommendations? Doesnt need anything crazy, just to be able to hold ~80lbs.

Quick google search shows poo poo for like $60 up to like $500 so not zure what to look for

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The cheaper ones will use straps that you run through the car, above the door, the nicer ones will mount more permanently.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Jack B Nimble posted:

The cheaper ones will use straps that you run through the car, above the door, the nicer ones will mount more permanently.

I can't seem to find any indication that the 2015 Corolla has any kind of mounting hardware on the roof, so you'd have to get the kind that goes behind the door (unless they did something like Mazda and hide them under the roof rails and nobody knows about it, but I don't think so). Yakima and Thule are both good brands, but pricey. Maybe somebody has experience with another less expensive brand? 80lbs is a fair amount so I wouldn't do anything too sketchy.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, FWIW Thule is what I'd settled on for a kayak and the cost kept me from ever committing to it, so I'm afraid that's the end of my knowledge.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I have a Yakima rack for my 2009 Corolla. It clamps on to the roof and seems pretty solid. IIRC, it is supposed to be good for up to 160 pounds.
It wasn't cheap but buy once, cry once and all that.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
If I'm really dumb and have a habit of leaving the dome light on for days at a time, will replacing it with an LED prevent it from killing my battery? Getting back to the airport at 10pm after 5 days and finding a dead battery is something I have no interest in doing again.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

two_beer_bishes posted:

If I'm really dumb and have a habit of leaving the dome light on for days at a time, will replacing it with an LED prevent it from killing my battery? Getting back to the airport at 10pm after 5 days and finding a dead battery is something I have no interest in doing again.

An LED draws much less current than an incandescent bulb, but still plenty to drain your battery in five days. It will pull about 1/4 amp, or 250 mA. The upper limit for tolerable parasitic drains is usually about 50 mA.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

two_beer_bishes posted:

Buy a jump box and throw it in your trunk.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've changed to LEDs for that reason, but it was more leaving on overnight, not sure about a few days. I did find that depending on the car, the LEDs may "glow" lightly even while off. This probably depends on the bulb too.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

two_beer_bishes posted:

If it's a newer car, are you sure the dome light stayed on? While there are still a handful of mostly-Japanese models with direct-wired switches straight out of 1974, a huge swath of vehicles in the past couple decades will eventually cut power to the lights. They will then helpfully turn the light back on when you unlock the car/approach with a proximity fob, making it seem like it's been on the entire time.

Chilling unused at the airport for a week is a great opportunity for a marginal battery to decide it's done.

Otherwise, as mentioned, LEDs may buy you some time but are unlikely to buy you several days.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I would like to attach points for tying off a dog at various locations on my van. The door hinges and hitch have served in the past but are not ideal. Exhibit A:

Am I correct in judging that these holes in the bumper can handle any amount of force a dog is going to be able to exert upon it? I'd love for this to be a "trip to Ace" level project..

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Javid posted:

Am I correct in judging that these holes in the bumper can handle any amount of force a dog is going to be able to exert upon it? I'd love for this to be a "trip to Ace" level project..

Absolutely. You probably want an eye bolt: https://www.acehardware.com/search?query=eye+bolt

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Great dog, great van, great view.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

An LED draws much less current than an incandescent bulb, but still plenty to drain your battery in five days. It will pull about 1/4 amp, or 250 mA. The upper limit for tolerable parasitic drains is usually about 50 mA.

skipdogg posted:

Buy a jump box and throw it in your trunk.

Molten Llama posted:

If it's a newer car, are you sure the dome light stayed on? While there are still a handful of mostly-Japanese models with direct-wired switches straight out of 1974, a huge swath of vehicles in the past couple decades will eventually cut power to the lights. They will then helpfully turn the light back on when you unlock the car/approach with a proximity fob, making it seem like it's been on the entire time.

Chilling unused at the airport for a week is a great opportunity for a marginal battery to decide it's done.

Otherwise, as mentioned, LEDs may buy you some time but are unlikely to buy you several days.

It's my '14 BRZ, I know it was the dome light because when I got back to my car I looked up at the switch and it was firmly in the "on" position, which I remember turning on after I dropped something and had to find it with the light. Then a few nights later when I did the same thing (although thankfully at home), the light was still on after a few hours. A jump pack is probably a good idea though, thanks for the suggestion.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'd do both a jumper and the LEDs. The less your battery is drained, the better your chances a jump will work easily.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Charles posted:

I'd do both a jumper and the LEDs. The less your battery is drained, the better your chances a jump will work easily.

I would simply not leave my dope scope on.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Motronic posted:

Absolutely. You probably want an eye bolt: https://www.acehardware.com/search?query=eye+bolt

the biggest stainless eye bolt that'll fit and overkill amounts of lock nut/loctite/etc was the overall plan yeah.

followup q: I also want to put one in the middle of the floor in the interior for the same purpose. Can I just bolt poo poo through the floor? I'm thinking something flush like this since I have some extra thickness on top of the sheet metal floor with my insulation and plywood under the rug

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

You can but go looking for things like wiring, fuel lines, brake lines, driveshaft etc under the area before just getting out the drill. I've seen people put a drill through a wiring harness and wrap half of it around the bit.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Charles posted:

I can't seem to find any indication that the 2015 Corolla has any kind of mounting hardware on the roof, so you'd have to get the kind that goes behind the door (unless they did something like Mazda and hide them under the roof rails and nobody knows about it, but I don't think so). Yakima and Thule are both good brands, but pricey. Maybe somebody has experience with another less expensive brand? 80lbs is a fair amount so I wouldn't do anything too sketchy.

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

I have a Yakima rack for my 2009 Corolla. It clamps on to the roof and seems pretty solid. IIRC, it is supposed to be good for up to 160 pounds.
It wasn't cheap but buy once, cry once and all that.

dammit, you guys were supposed to know about some sort of magic racks that only cost $50 and can hold 500 pounds ): haha

Oh well, looks like I will be having to break a little more bread since need to be able to transport 2 kayaks and the cheap strap ones look like they are only up to 80 so wouldn't really trust them too much.

Thanks guys!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nooner posted:

dammit, you guys were supposed to know about some sort of magic racks that only cost $50 and can hold 500 pounds ): haha

The magic ones like those are the one you run into used and in good condition on some local craigslist/facebook marketplace. If you really need it now you may not be able to wait, but look around for a while if you can.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I got a used universal roof rack for my shitbox fit and it works, but is a pain in there rear end to set up and tighten down properly. It seems to be fine but after a few days of driving I saw that it was slowly shifting around along the roof.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I can’t believe Uncle Rico is a goon

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Uh, speaking of the Fit. I just had 30 minutes between meetings to take it for an AC test/fill. It started fine but the battery light stayed on. Measures at around 12-12.2v. I checked and the terminals were super loose, like the bolt was tightened down as much as possible but I could still spin the terminals around by hand. Wtf.

That's all I had time to check. There should be a positive contact on the alternator that I could measure as well, right?

Of course it was perfectly reliable for all the stupid poo poo I've done but when I need it for a trip with my parents, it's not drivable :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

That's all I had time to check. There should be a positive contact on the alternator that I could measure as well, right?

Yes. You'll definitely want to check the voltage there with the engine running if at all possible. If it's at ~14V, then you know the problem is cabling/connections on the battery cables. If it's just showing battery voltage and not charging, then you know the alternator (or possibly something on the alternator control circuit) has failed.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

mobby_6kl posted:

Uh, speaking of the Fit. I just had 30 minutes between meetings to take it for an AC test/fill. It started fine but the battery light stayed on. Measures at around 12-12.2v. I checked and the terminals were super loose, like the bolt was tightened down as much as possible but I could still spin the terminals around by hand. Wtf.

If the terminals are tapered fit, loosen, make sure the battery cable end is fully seated down on the battery as far as it can go and try tightening again.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 17, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

If the terminals are tapered fit, loosen, make sure the battery cable end is fully seated down on the battery as far as it can go and try tightening again.
Haha they are of course, I guess I never noticed because I'd just automatically push them on as far as possible. Thanks.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yes. You'll definitely want to check the voltage there with the engine running if at all possible. If it's at ~14V, then you know the problem is cabling/connections on the battery cables. If it's just showing battery voltage and not charging, then you know the alternator (or possibly something on the alternator control circuit) has failed.
Just barely managed to squeeze a finger in to remove the boot. Sadly it measures battery voltage, 12.1 or so when running. The belt isn't slipping and the RPM doesn't impact the voltage either.

I ordered a new one for pickup tomorrow since I need a 4 seat car so I either fix it before lunch order rent something. It's already past business hours so that was the last chance to get anything.

Is there anything else that could go wrong other than the alternator? Probably not much else I could do now anyway though but I'll try some more debugging and maybe take the old one off tonight.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 17, 2021

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

If it isn't too bad of an R&R job with a few tools, throw them in a bag to take with you in case it croaks. Alternators from the chain stores aren't exactly top shelf in the quality department.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

If it isn't too bad of an R&R job with a few tools, throw them in a bag to take with you in case it croaks. Alternators from the chain stores aren't exactly top shelf in the quality department.

Theoretically it's not too bad of a job with just a few bolts to undo but it's very cramped and rusty in there so we'll see. Second time should be easier. Right???

After some more suffering I managed to probe the +12v on the connector, so I think it's pretty safe to assume it's just dead. A bit disappointing at 170k km but I guess at least it had the decency to fail when parked in front of my house.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's usually some sort of alternator control mechanism to excite the coils. Older cars it would literally depend on the warning light for the alt, on newer vehicles it usually goes to the computer so that the ECM can vary voltage based on actual electric needs to maximize fuel mileage.

It's possible that the control circuit is what's failed - but it's far more common than the alternator. Troubleshooting that circuitry is going to involve digging through service manuals.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Is it a bad sign when you're selling a car and someone wants to buy it without test driving it, using Paypal or a cashier's check?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NotNut posted:

Is it a bad sign when you're selling a car and someone wants to buy it without test driving it, using Paypal or a cashier's check?

Yes, just ignore them, it's a scam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Thank you, intuition