Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Edwin Pooted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Peet

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He Peet himself.

OwlFancier posted:

More interesting view of whitby from a mile off shore and also if you have ever wondered how they make dredgers well apparently they just park a jcb on a barge.
Nice photos, the JCBoat one reminds me of some Metal Slug stick poo poo on poo poo though.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
It's a shame the exiting leader of the DUP never got into a war of words with the 45th president of the United States, because the headline "Trump blasts Poots" would have had three terms for farts in as many words.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it is actually properly bolted to the deck but it is definitely the cab and arms off a regular digger lol. I was quite surprised when I saw it.

E: Oh I also got a photo of the rare nested power stance.

And also my train got severely delayed earlier in the week.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 17, 2021

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Arlene Foster at least had enough sense to know the ship was going down and to start distancing herself lol.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Just another dinosaur..... sweet, sweet irony. :buddy:

My bet is on Jeffery Donaldson getting the job next with Sammy Wilson as the comedy option.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Edwin Poots is a character from a Terry Gilliam animation and my mind will not be changed on this.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Edwin Poots Dispenser Here

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Thats a loving massive bird perching on that mountain ridge in the distance.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Thats a loving massive bird perching on that mountain ridge in the distance.

Yeah sandsend got wiped off the map f in chat.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

thebardyspoon posted:

Jeez, this has been the roughest week in memory for me. Managed to go for years without doing overtime in my previous few jobs, then every day this week I've done an hour or two extra cause they schedule big meetings/playthroughs near the end of the day that creates a bunch of stuff for me to do and leaving it until the next day will just lead to me missing or forgetting poo poo because a bunch of new things will be evident in the build that goes up overnight.

This poo poo sucks. I recently started a new job and my boss stated outright that I'm expected to work more than my hours as a normal matter of course and if I don't I shouldn't expect to work there for long. It's extra loving tremendous because the organisation is a mental health-adjacent charity, really great to have all my delusions about making a positive contribution to society immediately shat into the bin yet again

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/AmmarKazmi_/status/1405609214534430720?s=19

Some interesting stuff here

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

kyojin posted:

This poo poo sucks. I recently started a new job and my boss stated outright that I'm expected to work more than my hours as a normal matter of course and if I don't I shouldn't expect to work there for long. It's extra loving tremendous because the organisation is a mental health-adjacent charity, really great to have all my delusions about making a positive contribution to society immediately shat into the bin yet again

gently caress that boss

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

It's truly of limited surprise that Keir 'Forensic' Starmer attempted to rules-lawyer activists he was kicking out of the party, but utterly hosed it because he's as atrocious a lawyer as he is a politician.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
came here to share the joy of knowing peter thiel's crazy bloodsucker vampire youth scheme's very likely to end up with him becoming, and staying, dead. also those google gazillionaires

guardian posted:

Immortality and everlasting youth are the stuff of myths, according to new research which may finally end the eternal debate about whether we can live for ever.

Backed by governments, business, academics and investors in an industry worth $110bn (£82.5bn) – and estimated to be worth $610bn by 2025 – scientists have spent decades attempting to harness the power of genomics and artificial intelligence to find a way to prevent or even reverse ageing.

still figuring out how to sell these idiots an eternal blockchain afterlife. nobody steal before i've pre-mined and ICO'd it

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

kyojin posted:

You sound like you have it worse than me to be honest. I'm kind of imposing this on myself because I won't let stuff just be utterly hosed (even if it is still somewhat hosed because of spectacularly bad planning that I've had little input in). It's games so I probably should have expected to be doing it occasionally.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Hey Camrath your fudge code for free shipping expired =( I bought fudge anyway!

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1405690225263775748?s=20

Lib Dem fight back. Only its real this time. Thats a massive swing.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Brexit is now canceled, please adjust your plans accordingly.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's genuinely more funny because Labour only had a snowflake's chance in hell under Corbyn in 2017, it's just a seat the constituents are determined to have occupied by a colossal wanker but this time around decided that wanker doesn't mean the Tory oval office picked to replace the prior Tory arsehole.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

1.6%.

Total oblivion.

Stonger together indeed.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Gorn Myson posted:

labour losing their deposit and placing below the greens??

this is bad for jeremy corby

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1405536242989617161

XMNN fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 18, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1405671897334009866?s=21

PASOKification go brrrrrr

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

To be fair I’d chalk it up to strategic voting in this case.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Comrade Fakename posted:

To be fair I’d chalk it up to strategic voting in this case.

There is absolutely no loving way that 6,500 of Labour's 7,000 voters decided to go hard on tactical voting in the course of the last 18 months.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

There is absolutely no loving way that 6,500 of Labour's 7,000 voters decided to go hard on tactical voting in the course of the last 18 months.

I’d not even heard about this by-election until a few days ago, I suspect that Labour (probably rightly) considered it unwinnable and focused on Batley and Spen instead. Presumably the Lib Dems went all-in, so I imagine it was clear to everyone in the town that only the Lib Dems could beat the Tories. It hardly requires manipulation of arcane voting systems.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Comrade Fakename posted:

I’d not even heard about this by-election until a few days ago, I suspect that Labour (probably rightly) considered it unwinnable and focused on Batley and Spen instead. Presumably the Lib Dems went all-in, so I imagine it was clear to everyone in the town that only the Lib Dems could beat the Tories. It hardly requires manipulation of arcane voting systems.

Labour definitely put gently caress all effort in but the idea that tactical voting had much to do with it is a fake one. The seat has always been Tory first, Lib Dem second for pretty much its entire history; I’m not buying that people suddenly picked a 2021 by-election to coordinate getting a blue tory exchanged for a yellow one

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

came here to share the joy of knowing peter thiel's crazy bloodsucker vampire youth scheme's very likely to end up with him becoming, and staying, dead. also those google gazillionaires

still figuring out how to sell these idiots an eternal blockchain afterlife. nobody steal before i've pre-mined and ICO'd it

One one hand immortality (or just more life) would be nice, but if it means that billionaires get to live forever too, then I think it's better we miss out.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

But nobody in the life extension business for real (Like Ray Kurzweil or Aubrey de Grey*) as opposed to charlatans thinks that we can radically improve human lifespan 'just' by reducing the cases of regular mortality. From the very start the problem has been identified to be 'aging' and the task has been figuring out what that really is, why it happens, and what might be done about it. Yeah transfusing teeenager's blood into you isn't likely to do very much of anything but who knows what we might achieve with radical genetic therapies or advanced cybernetics or the like? "Aging is a constant and growing average lifespans stems from reduced child mortality rather than adding years to old people's lives" isn't even news, let alone a deathknell for the idea of life extension.

* Note I'm not saying they're necessarily right or have good ideas or will succeed, only that there is a group who sincerely believes in the project and has spent a lot of time thinking about it, they're not there to grift.

Gorn Myson posted:

Bloody hell that IS a swing. What happened there, LD candidate actually did the work on the ground or what?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Respectable middle class small 'c' conservatives uncomfortable with the new, boorish, flag-brandishing nationalism of the government?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Anti HS2 virtue signalling

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Ms Adequate posted:

Bloody hell that IS a swing. What happened there, LD candidate actually did the work on the ground or what?

Lib Dems apparently ran almost entirely on opposing the new planing laws. County Tories don't like the idea of lower house prices.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Gorn Myson posted:

I can give some insight here. I voted labour but most people I know held their noses and went LD after it became clear how much they throwing at it. I've been visited by Libs about a dozen times and have had a forest of their leaflets through my door, only 1 from labour and a handful of Tory. The place has been covered in lib dem signs for weeks.

It's a combo of huge resource investment and a focus on HS2/aonb building instead of national issues. Also people actually liked the previous MP (for some reason) which gave inflated Tory support for the last couple decades.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

That article and even the study behind it seems… odd. Ageing is a biological constraint? No loving kidding? Like it seems the logic is ‘ageing is biological, biological science hasn’t yet been able to change ageing rates, therefore it’s impossible’

Which is weird when there are a number of biology altering fields right around the corner. Ageing isn’t a law of physics. Can they really not imagine, even if just for a thought experiment, a time when our dna can be completely and freely manipulated?

It’s very likely the actual paper is thorough and succinctly debunks my opposition but the guardian article really doesn’t get the point across well.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1405765669254144003?s=19

Last sentence seems inaccurate

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'll hold that to tweet length. "Resign, or be ousted" would be accurate.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

How often do I need to get my boiler serviced in this weird country?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Like I said before: all the Labour Right faction currently in control of the party have to offer is the return to sensible, grown-up politics, as personified by the eminently electable Keir Starmer. They can't ever admit that it's all an illusion because then they'd have literally nothing. Starmer probably should go if/when Labour lose Batley but I can absolutely see him staggering on until the General Election 'cos what else are they going to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Miftan posted:

How often do I need to get my boiler serviced in this weird country?

I've seen some examples of this on a gentleman's special interest website. I'll do some more research and get back to you.