Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

how’s this for home economics: i buy more tortillas than i need, then when they go stale, i make migas for breakfast!

i’d do this for dinner rn too but im currently out of cheese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

number is fake, money is fake, real estate is fake, it’s all a pyramid scheme, if you participate in housing you’re a fool and a mark and are being scammed and you live in a bad, overrated and expensive city or a hellhole cheap dump that’s only getting worse. you’re either owned by a tyrannical landlord or a bank. enjoy your wage slavery in an ever more precarious market economy that is one big scam that is simultaneously too complex to fully understand while also too dumb to be worth understanding. enjoy choking on smoke or drowning. you’re literally the dumbest motherfucker alive if you aren’t living in a converted 1990s blue bird model bus that you drive around the UP or Washington state. also, if you have a family, you’re dumb as hell. number.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mirthless posted:

lol

you still need credit to rent

this is a solution for people /w family to live with for a while

You find a rental then tank your credit. Sign the rental agreement and open palm slam the keys to your upside down mortgage into the lender's face.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Money is a substitute for power, because everybody agrees to it.
Human fantasy gives everybody a loving taste of being a king.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Number

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

gay_crimes posted:

number is fake

mods???

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

WaryWarren posted:

Music? lovely indie rock? Art? lovely street art or murals for basic white girls to take their Instagram snaps in front of? Like the rest of the country, you don't get what you pay for in Austin.

This is what I always shake my head about when it comes to cool city living. “It’s the culture” they say.

So I visit them(friends family) They work 50 hours a week, spend another ten plus in cars stuck in traffic, and then go to the same stores I have and come home and watch do stuff at the house. About twice a year, they do, the city/beach thing (the cool culture thing).

I live in a small town, visit them about twice a year and do the same poo poo for pennies on the dollar twice a year (beach, museum, whatever).

Also, early 30’s, so now even my friends live in different cities so it’s not like moving to one place would equal a lot more friends.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

LionArcher posted:

This is what I always shake my head about when it comes to cool city living. “It’s the culture” they say.

So I visit them(friends family) They work 50 hours a week, spend another ten plus in cars stuck in traffic, and then go to the same stores I have and come home and watch do stuff at the house. About twice a year, they do, the city/beach thing (the cool culture thing).

I live in a small town, visit them about twice a year and do the same poo poo for pennies on the dollar twice a year (beach, museum, whatever).

Also, early 30’s, so now even my friends live in different cities so it’s not like moving to one place would equal a lot more friends.

i can walk five minutes and visit 200 different places OP

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

anime was right posted:

i can walk five minutes and visit 200 different places OP

Hell yeah!

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I took home-economics (georgian) in 7th grade as an elective course, but I did not learn how to create migas from old tortillas, that sounds like a cool life hack. Instead I got to microwave raw beef into meatballs and sew a few things, but at least I'm handy with skills that I'll never use because I married a redacted.

I assume these are still the best tortillas on earth?

Add some

and you're golden. boom, home cooking.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

https://twitter.com/film_girl/status/1405633177243193345?s=19

I have never seen someone get dragged by the left, libs, chuds, and finance ghouls before.

bit harsh to say almost nothing when he’s a top class investigative financial reporter, for example his expose on bum sex

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

actionjackson posted:

i have a total payment of 935 (mortgage p+i) + like 290 property tax escrow, and this year I have about 400/month in hoa (condo) fees, so that's about 1620

1 br 1 ba 950 sf

a 1 br 1 a 770 sf apartment rental across the street in a pretty new building is 1950/month lol

Almost $5k in association fees :negative:

Are some of your utilities included?

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
if you're a home owner in america now you might as well be landed gentry to some degree.

at a bare minimum a struggle session needs to be held to hold you to account for your inherent counterrevolutionary sentiment.

i am not joking when i say that trying to escape the collective suffering of being a renter through private property accusation is lib poo poo and should be treated as such.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

homeowning has all the stress and expense of paying for maintenance, repairs, and improvements yourself. it forces you to grapple with the desire to maybe have an accent wall or new carpet or guttering that does not leak. extremely decadent

renting has the zen of maintenance and repairs being somebody else’s responsibility as well as being an effective safeguard against the desire to improve one’s home. your zen is further enhanced by the knowledge that your landlord will never fulfil their responsibility to maintain your home; don’t fall victim to stress about having no hot water, but instead find peace and acceptance of your new identity as somebody who boils a kettle to wash the dishes

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
I don't miss paying pet rent, that poo poo was a scam. Now my cat can piss on any walls he wants.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

TACD posted:

homeowning has all the stress and expense of paying for maintenance, repairs, and improvements yourself. it forces you to grapple with the desire to maybe have an accent wall or new carpet or guttering that does not leak. extremely decadent

renting has the zen of maintenance and repairs being somebody else’s responsibility as well as being an effective safeguard against the desire to improve one’s home. your zen is further enhanced by the knowledge that your landlord will never fulfil their responsibility to maintain your home; don’t fall victim to stress about having no hot water, but instead find peace and acceptance of your new identity as somebody who boils a kettle to wash the dishes

you have too much money and it's turned you into a right wing dipshit, mr harrison bergeron

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
this slapfight is entirely between high wage laborers and the petite bourgeois because the for the vast, vast majority of ameicans under 45 renting is their only option and will be until the revolution.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

gay_crimes posted:

number is fake, money is fake, real estate is fake, it’s all a pyramid scheme, if you participate in housing you’re a fool and a mark and are being scammed and you live in a bad, overrated and expensive city or a hellhole cheap dump that’s only getting worse. you’re either owned by a tyrannical landlord or a bank. enjoy your wage slavery in an ever more precarious market economy that is one big scam that is simultaneously too complex to fully understand while also too dumb to be worth understanding. enjoy choking on smoke or drowning. you’re literally the dumbest motherfucker alive if you aren’t living in a converted 1990s blue bird model bus that you drive around the UP or Washington state. also, if you have a family, you’re dumb as hell. number.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GoLambo posted:

this slapfight is entirely between high wage laborers and the petite bourgeois because the for the vast, vast majority of ameicans under 45 renting is their only option and will be until the revolution.

Home ownership rates for people under 45 are definitely a lot higher than you believe, particularly in the 35-45 "Gen X Junior" cohort. Like 60% of that group owns homes. Young millennials and zoomers are the most hosed of course.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

Home ownership rates for people under 45 are definitely a lot higher than you believe, particularly in the 35-45 "Gen X Junior" cohort.

there is still a lot of residual family wealth out there, inheriting property is still a thing, and plenty of those americans still have relatively high wage jobs as a total percentage of the working population yeah. but they are an ever shrinking segment of the total population.

and they all need a good struggle session

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
like you are describing the social class of D&D poster. that's who that segment of the population is.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I cant wait until someone in this thread unironically says something along the lines of

"The revolution would eventually end the collective suffering of the underclass and thus is lib poo poo. The revolution is counterrevolutionary."

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

StealthArcher posted:

I cant wait until someone in this thread unironically says something along the lines of

"The revolution would eventually end the collective suffering of the underclass and thus is lib poo poo. The revolution is counterrevolutionary."

The abolition of class means the destruction of the proletariat. How dare you!!!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Mirthless posted:

how much money do you spend in property taxes + HOA fees + city fees + maintenance + repairs in 30 years? how much time/labor do you have to commit to these ends?

there's a lot of expenses and worries that renters just do not have. I do not like supporting the landlord class, but owning a home is not just a house payment
*thinking extremely hard where the landlord gets the money for property taxes + HOA fees + city fees + maintenance + repairs*

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

StealthArcher posted:

home ownership isnt revolutionary what the hell. home ownership as a commodity is half the reason for this mess.

just give me public housing christ.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

GoLambo posted:

home ownership isnt revolutionary what the hell. home ownership as a commodity is half the reason for this mess.

Woosh.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

GoLambo posted:

Public Housing Christ is the name of my acoustic indie punk band.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

All that matters in this world is having a sick rear end car and spinning rimz.. If you have that then you have achieved peak success in this world

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

who is that

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Man, I have a cousin in Austin that I wish would move, that place is just ruining people. But the music! But the art! Yeah, but the Texas utility providers, and rents around Austin, and the people. It's like pissing in the wind trying to convince him to leave, but at least my metaphorical shoes are getting a shower.

i dont miss that town at all

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
Weekly jobless claims increasing again, woops

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Nice and hot piss posted:

All that matters in this world is having a sick rear end car and spinning rimz.. If you have that then you have achieved peak success in this world

Boringshit

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

wolfs posted:

how’s this for home economics: i buy more tortillas than i need, then when they go stale, i make migas for breakfast!

i’d do this for dinner rn too but im currently out of cheese

Dead tortillas are useful for thickening stuff, and are a common ingredient in mole. If you have some money and some time to burn and you’ve never gone down this specific rabbit hole, try to make some mole. It’s like being haunted by an ancient zapotec ghost who firmly tells you that you didn’t do it right this time, but gently suggests that you might do better in the future.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Testvan posted:

Weekly jobless claims increasing again, woops

Just for 1 week. If we see sustained growth it is cause for concern.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mirthless posted:

you don't have to be completely underwater for an investment to not pay off and you only need to do very simple math to understand that housing prices cannot scale the way that they have for the last 30 years for another 30 without the cost of a home getting pretty close to, if not well past what your average worker makes in an entire lifetime

the market cannot sustain these prices and when they crash back to reality they are not going to resemble what they do now

if you disagree with me that's fine, you can make different plans for the next few years than I do. I hope yours pay off, you are putting a lot more on the line than I am.

You seem convinced that the risk is extremely high for financial ruin though. There are lots of downsides to owning a house and risk of having a big obligation if the poo poo hits the fan is one of them but you have an extremely wrong impression of what it actually is. I bought a house five years ago with about 5% down, a year ago I refinanced in to a 2.25% mortgage and even though I still owe the bank a lot more than I have paid off there's a lot more of my mortgage payment going to principal than interest, the whole idea that you are just paying interest for the first half of a mortgage is outdated and based on the 80s when interest rates were way higher. If I got laid off today it would be really lovely and the house would complicate things immeasurably but even if I had to do a fire sale and sell it for 2/3 of what it's currently worth (or if the market crashed and the house value dropped 1/3 overnight) I'd still be able to break even or come out a little bit ahead after all the fees and poo poo. If your argument is that means the "investment didn't pay off" then okay, sure, I wouldn't be walking away with a bunch of money in this scenario. But I would have had a place to live for five years and the net result would be... more or less breaking even and being back to renting somewhere.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Nonsense posted:

i dont miss that town at all

we're getting out soon.

I know that it is cliche to say the city isn't the same anymore but holy gently caress has it been techbro-ed to hell and back now.

and the state government is filled with people who would like me to not exist so that's not great.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Relevant Tangent posted:

You find a rental then tank your credit. Sign the rental agreement and open palm slam the keys to your upside down mortgage into the lender's face.

this is it, the real american dream right here :911:

yea man i absolutely refuse to keep this going for another day but nice try

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 13:59 on Jun 18, 2021

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mirthless posted:

yea man i absolutely refuse to keep this going for another day but nice try

You're posting a bunch of really wrong and stupid poo poo, you aren't being baited you're being called out for posting a bunch of really wrong and stupid poo poo.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Mirthless posted:

this is it, the real american dream right here :911:

nah. before you get foreclosed you invite over an entire homeless encampment to hang out, and then rent your house out for free to anyone that wants and give them all legitimate leases (for 500 years or whatev) so the bank has to deal with 50 separate evictions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
It’s important to keep in mind that goons are always wrong about everything. That includes me.