Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Miftan posted:

How often do I need to get my boiler serviced in this weird country?

If its a gas boiler, you should get it serviced once a year (although it's perfectly legal to let it rust away until you choke on carbon monoxide, if that's your preference).

Electric boilers, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
What percentage of people get their boiler serviced yearly? I'm assuming it's about zero

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Failed Imagineer posted:

What percentage of people get their boiler serviced yearly? I'm assuming it's about zero

This was my assumption as well. I've definitely lived in rented flats where nobody has come by to service the boiler in 4+ years, but I didn't grow up with boilers and so I know absolutely nothing about them and how safe/prone to breaking they are.

Is getting it done expensive or are people just lazy?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/mygibbo/status/1405785467547754498

oops

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
In my case our warranty is tied in to having a serviced boiler, so for at least 7 years since we got our new boiler (in 2017, predictably soon after moving in) we'll be continuing to pay the £40 annual service charge. Meant that a bunch of minor repairs this year were all free that otherwise might've cost hundreds.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Marmaduke! posted:

In my case our warranty is tied in to having a serviced boiler, so for at least 7 years since we got our new boiler (in 2017, predictably soon after moving in) we'll be continuing to pay the £40 annual service charge. Meant that a bunch of minor repairs this year were all free that otherwise might've cost hundreds.

We moved in here exactly one year after the boiler was installed and hasn't been serviced so that's out the window, unfortunately.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Miftan posted:

This was my assumption as well. I've definitely lived in rented flats where nobody has come by to service the boiler in 4+ years, but I didn't grow up with boilers and so I know absolutely nothing about them and how safe/prone to breaking they are.

When I was renting in a place with a gas boiler the landlord sent someone around every year to do a safety check.

The electric boiler in my current place has no moving parts, so there's nothing to service. I do need to run the system every so often anyway just to stop the pump seizing up.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Gas boiler should be yearly and if you rent the landlord should be paying for it

All else fails make sure you have a good carbon monoxide detector

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Angrymog posted:

I do need to run the system every so often anyway just to stop the pump seizing up.

I think my Nest thermostat does this once every week or so as anti-legionnaires and mechanical thing, but I should verify

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

I have mine done each year for the warranty, £50 a go which seems a bit much but the chap who does it seems very diligent

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Miftan posted:

If you own the place, it's down to you to get the boiler serviced but if your renting it's a legal requirement to have a Gas Safety Certificate for all gas appliances in the property.
This doesn't have to be a full service, but someone should be coming out and checking everything at least once a year.

This also applies to having someone move in as a lodger.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Neoliberalism is back baby! It's good again. AWOOO (wolf howl)

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

He Peet himself.

Nice photos, the JCBoat one reminds me of some Metal Slug stick poo poo on poo poo though.

I loved those games.

Was always really poo poo at them, but the artwork and animation was just lovely to look at.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Renfield posted:

This also applies to having someone move in as a lodger.

Make sure to service your lodger at least once a year

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Failed Imagineer posted:

Make sure to service your todger at least once a year

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
*Sucking air through teeth* : "motors gone, mate, you're looking at replacing the whole unit"

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

lmfao

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Pistol_Pete posted:

Like I said before: all the Labour Right faction currently in control of the party have to offer is the return to sensible, grown-up politics, as personified by the eminently electable Keir Starmer. They can't ever admit that it's all an illusion because then they'd have literally nothing. Starmer probably should go if/when Labour lose Batley but I can absolutely see him staggering on until the General Election 'cos what else are they going to do?

Yeah, they have no idea how to win, but are so entrenched they can't lose the party easily.

We need a few more by elections to see if the LD thing is local or signs of a more general Tory collapse. it's most likely the former, but if the LD learn from their winning tactics, they might actually fight back.

What Labour need is someone with a personality, as people often vote for the most interesting person, for good or for bad.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Rural Tories are angry over the extended lockdown, I get it because this county isn’t that far away from a huge outbreak but people in tiny villages are FEWMIN. It will boil down to if people hold on to that anger or it blows over when everything opens up.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Miftan posted:

How often do I need to get my boiler serviced in this weird country?

When I was renting, my landperson had my gas boiler serviced annually.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Miftan posted:

It’s literally the law to have it done as part of the Landlord’s Gas Safety Check if you’re in rented accommodation.

We (owner occupier) get ours done yearly because why not? It might prevent you or a loved one being killed in the night.

Around here I *think* it’s about £65 for an annual safety check which includes the cooker and gas fire too, but it’s the landlord who pays.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Did this by-election just not make the news or something? Why am I only hearing about it now?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Necrothatcher posted:

Did this by-election just not make the news or something? Why am I only hearing about it now?

I think it was assumed to be such an obvious Tory hold that no one really bothered sending reporters down there.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Necrothatcher posted:

Council by election, no one cares apart from weird politics nerds.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Apparently Labour didn't give a gently caress and the libdems went hard on some sort of local issue.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I did some work a while back for a housing charity in Chesham and while it ticks a lot of the usual 'Home Counties' boxes there's some real deprivation there (probably related to housing costs!) and I can only imagine COVID has made it worse.

Well done Kieth for your stong performance in 'leafy Bucks".

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

keep punching joe posted:

It's a Westminster by-election.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/18/lib-dems-win-chesham-and-amersham-byelection-in-stunning-upset

Sarah Green of the Liberal Democrats after being declared the new MP for Chesham and Amersham

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Regarde Aduck posted:

That article and even the study behind it seems… odd. Ageing is a biological constraint? No loving kidding? Like it seems the logic is ‘ageing is biological, biological science hasn’t yet been able to change ageing rates, therefore it’s impossible’

Which is weird when there are a number of biology altering fields right around the corner. Ageing isn’t a law of physics. Can they really not imagine, even if just for a thought experiment, a time when our dna can be completely and freely manipulated?
Philip Nitschke's Deliverance Machine cured aging years ago. His Sarco X promises to cure aging without even needing a doctor, but it's still under development.

Failed Imagineer posted:

This works similarly.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's a Westminster by-election?

Was it?

Lmao I just saw the swing and assumed it was one of those local elections where weird poo poo just happens.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Was it?

Lmao I just saw the swing and assumed it was one of those local elections where weird poo poo just happens.

That was my reaction too: heard nothing about it happening, didn't know the seat, must be a council, but why are people on twitter quite excited? oh OH!

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

lmao I missed this very important context (e: on account of it not being true, thanks Jaeluni)

Unrelated, does anyone know how parental leave works? HR loving doesn't.

I'm working full time on decent pay, partner has been working a few zero hours part time jobs on comfortable pay, but both of her current contracts end about 8 weeks before baby is due. She's also got PhD funding that gives her 6 months' maternity at full pay, & seems to think that this interacts with statutory maternity pay in some way but we don't understand it - is that something we need to look into, or is it just like her funder will give her the money? I know I get my 2 weeks paternity at full pay, & since she's not working potentially also shared parental leave, but it looks like that's only £150 a week & wouldn't even make rent & bills, which I guess saves the headache of trying to calculate eligibility which we (& HR) also don't understand. Is there anything I'm missing?

tia for any advice

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Was it?

The weirdest poo poo to happen in a local election would be someone getting 622 votes and not winning. It was a by election caused by Cheryl Gillan's death in April.

Gillan is probably best known for being so shameless with her expenses claims that a Tory government had to remove the right for an MP in her constituency to claim for a second home. She overclaimed £2k for a mortgage on a house in Battersea that she didn't even need because her hometown is on the Underground.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

Rural Tories are angry over the extended lockdown, I get it because this county isn’t that far away from a huge outbreak but people in tiny villages are FEWMIN. It will boil down to if people hold on to that anger or it blows over when everything opens up.

Amersham isn't "rural" though. It's on the tube map, FFS, the only thing that stops it being Upminster or Finchley is that the NIMBYs managed to get in much, much earlier and freeze it at "small commuter town" size. Now they talk about new development "ruining the character of the town" without ever examining why the character of the town is "every single building is almost exactly the same age, and all of them were built within 5 years of the train station opening", and also about HS2 going through the area.

Anyone living in Metroland complaining about encroaching urbanisation - let alone about a new train line coming through - should be ground into a fine paste and used to lubricate the wheels of the trains that are the literal only reason for the existence of their lovely little towns.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/alexnunns/status/1405809375508373504

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Grey Hunter posted:

We need a few more by elections to see if the LD thing is local or signs of a more general Tory collapse. it's most likely the former, but if the LD learn from their winning tactics, they might actually fight back.

Tories were losing some county & local council seats in traditional home counties areas too, I think it's part of a realignment of sorts and not just local effects.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

DesperateDan posted:

All else fails make sure you have a good carbon monoxide detector

You should definitely have a carbon monoxide detector regardless of anything imo. They cost about £25 and the battery lasts for 7 years or something, and it might save your life

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Amersham isn't "rural" though. It's on the tube map, FFS, the only thing that stops it being Upminster or Finchley

Whilst I don't entirely disagree, both those other places you mention are within the m25 unlike amersham which is around three times further from the centre of london as the crow flies than finchley. I used to live in the area, in a village and it felt rural enough. I dont think it should be becoming more london.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Amersham isn't "rural" though. It's on the tube map, FFS, the only thing that stops it being Upminster or Finchley is that the NIMBYs managed to get in much, much earlier and freeze it at "small commuter town" size. Now they talk about new development "ruining the character of the town" without ever examining why the character of the town is "every single building is almost exactly the same age, and all of them were built within 5 years of the train station opening", and also about HS2 going through the area.

Anyone living in Metroland complaining about encroaching urbanisation - let alone about a new train line coming through - should be ground into a fine paste and used to lubricate the wheels of the trains that are the literal only reason for the existence of their lovely little towns.

I have some good and happy urban development news. They are unfucking what beeching did to Derbyshire and the first stage is to turn the Chesterfield to Sheffield freight line (goes via barrow hill, renishaw and Crystal peaks) back into a branch line, it’s a “holy poo poo it’s actually happening” thing with stations being built and everything.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Lol a car has collided head-on with a prisoner transport truck on my street in what is clearly an attempt to spring some prisoners. I have never seen so many police in all my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
it'll be a fun general election if labour's national vote share is labour membership + ~3% :laugh: