Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Biggus Dickus posted:

I was told they work best on underfloor heating, which is great for me because that’s what I have downstairs.

Are you getting rid of the boiler completely? I intend to keep mine for emergencies.

Yeah all going. A big part of it is that we want rid of the oil tank etc so we’re heat pump only from Monday hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

No one thinks Steve Turner is the second coming of Christ, but he won the most nominations, and he also won the backing of Unite’s internal Left faction. He has plenty of decent left-wing credentials, and was the pretty obvious option for a left unity candidate once Coyne got on the ballot. Thanks loving god Beckett has stood down.

Some of the poo poo he's said should disqualify him from ever standing.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

TheRat posted:

Some of the poo poo he's said should disqualify him from ever standing.

What did he say?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Aramoro posted:

Yeah all going. A big part of it is that we want rid of the oil tank etc so we’re heat pump only from Monday hopefully.

Shouldn't need your heating on for another 5 months

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

forkboy84 posted:

Leaded petrol isn't enough to explain this much brain damage. Unwelcome guest graham must have been deepthroating old lead water pipes. for decades

I clicked the account, he's a fabian

Comrade Fakename posted:

No one thinks Steve Turner is the second coming of Christ, but he won the most nominations, and he also won the backing of Unite’s internal Left faction. He has plenty of decent left-wing credentials, and was the pretty obvious option for a left unity candidate once Coyne got on the ballot. Thank loving god Beckett has stood down.

oh no, not internal democracy! the horror! the horror!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

to be fair to him he did indeed eat (some) of his hat

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1405796095804985344?s=20

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

What did he say?

poo poo like this

Really nasty dogwhistling

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Can you link the full quote and article it came from please?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-party-iran-saudi-arabia-terrorism-trump-uk-jeremy-corbyn-unite-union-a8533446.html

Very classic ~address the serious concerns of the far right~

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

15 minutes left to order fudge for guaranteed shipping today!

That is all.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Camrath posted:

15 minutes left to order fudge for guaranteed shipping today!

That is all.

What about fatty jerky?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Nonsense posted:

What about fatty jerky?

Sadly the people I was buying dehydrators from ended up ghosting me on Facebook, and had no explanation when I asked them about it at the kit fair a couple of weeks ago.

(Also fatty jerky seems a really bad idea with regards it going rancid as hell)

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

forkboy84 posted:

This seems like far too many Labour members for the area? Unless I slept on the hotbed of union activity, Great Missenden?

I think Chesham accounts for most, but even Amersham has a couple of council estates (well tucked away, mind).

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

If that 600/622 thing is right I'd love to know how many members are in the same households / extremely alone / in very bitter relationships

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/cav0rting/status/1405304125001240578

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

She's turned the planet against us

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Spangly A posted:

I clicked the account, he's a fabian

oh no, not internal democracy! the horror! the horror!

This is internal democracy.

People really aren’t considering how absolutely apocalyptic it would be for the UK left if Coyne wins.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Comrade Fakename posted:

People really aren’t considering how absolutely apocalyptic it would be for the UK left if Coyne wins.

how much more apocalyptic can things really get from here?

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

McKenzie Scott easily giving scads of her money to charities also kinda proves that Bezos could do so much more and really just doesn't want to.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

how much more apocalyptic can things really get from here?

Losing the support of the UK’s biggest union? Very.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Comrade Fakename posted:

This is internal democracy.

The real issue is that the Unite GS election is FPTP because of course it is. FPTP regularly destroys democratic engagement. If it has a decent voting system then you could have all 3 left candidates and actually have internal democracy instead of people having to step down. Frankly, anybody that gets elected (especially in elections like this where it's not 600+ seats at once) and doesn't immediately change the system away from FPTP is not for internal democracy. These sorts of internal 'nobody was running against them' or people dropping out is how the people at the top fix elections.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Miftan posted:

The real issue is that the Unite GS election is FPTP because of course it is. FPTP regularly destroys democratic engagement. If it has a decent voting system then you could have all 3 left candidates and actually have internal democracy instead of people having to step down. Frankly, anybody that gets elected (especially in elections like this where it's not 600+ seats at once) and doesn't immediately change the system away from FPTP is not for internal democracy. These sorts of internal 'nobody was running against them' or people dropping out is how the people at the top fix elections.

Yeah, obviously they shouldn’t have FPTP, and I’m not sure why this wasn’t changed in the past. But it’s not changing for this election.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Necrothatcher posted:

to be fair to him he did indeed eat (some) of his hat

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1405796095804985344?s=20

How about some wearable hat fudge for people who have to eat their own hats?
I charge a very reasonable commission of 1% LOL

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Umbra Dubium posted:

McKenzie Scott easily giving scads of her money to charities also kinda proves that Bezos could do so much more and really just doesn't want to.

Especially bad since billionaires like Scott can 'give away' their wealth but end up with more money than they started with.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I got rid of smart meter callers by saying I was with Look After My Bills and switched my supplier regularly.

This whole thing about ripping out radiators and underfloor heating in order to get a less efficient heating system is exactly what I was afraid of. As much as my cat would love underfloor heating, until he starts bringing me gold instead of dead birds, we're not getting it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Forced air heaters like this are a good via media if you want to get the benefit of a heat pump or get more out of your condensing boiler (while actually increasing the efficiency, because the water goes back to the condenser colder) without ripping all your floorboards up.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

sinky posted:

Especially bad since billionaires like Scott can 'give away' their wealth but end up with more money than they started with.

I’m not sure that’s how it works.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Looks pretty uncontroversial?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

therattle posted:

Scott was worth $36b in July last year, since then she's given away $8b, and is now worth $57b.

It's really, really hard to comprehend just how quickly wealth accumulates at those levels. She literally cannot give her money away fast enough.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The only argument that seems to get pushed for smart meters is so you don't get estimated fuel bills and how it is supposed to help you reduce energy consumption.

(a) I read my meter every two weeks and put it on a spreadsheet and calculate bill to date and forecast bill for next quarter using the tariff rates (and give the co an online meter reading once a month).

(b) I don't use energy I don't have to, I know that anything that produces heat is expensive (kettle, heaters) so I don't use it more than I have to while staying comfortable. The most wasteful thing I do is leaving the tv, sat. box and router on 'standby' overnight. All my lightbulbs are LED so if I leave every light in my flat on 24/7 it's only as much electricity as a couple of 60W bulbs used to use.

(c) Two of the flats in my block had smart meters put in, the meters interfered with their storage heating which wouldn't come on, so the co had to reinstate the old meters. I don't have storage heating but what gives?

I have had a letter about radio signals being switched off but haven't looked into it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Getting my head kicked in by my family.
Am I the only person who thinks making contingency plans (even if you don't end up using them in the event of whatever the contingency is) is sensible and not 'wishing the bad thing' into existence?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

therattle posted:

People who have $36b generally don't have it sitting around in a bank, they have it sitting in rental property, investments for which they recieve dividends and index funds like Vanguard.

If you imagine how much the average landlord makes out of one house, and then imagine that scaled up to $36b with a team of dedicated cokeheads running every scam they can to increase the pool they take a cut of,, it's easy to see how it could inflate itself to $57b even after giving $8b away to good causes.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Howling laughing at the fantasy world the sensibles live in:

https://twitter.com/TheProgAlliance/status/1405692420268957701

This was RT'd onto my timeline by Armando Iannucci sadly.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Wait wait wait wait.

There's a party called REFUK?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It'd be a good point if any of those three had been talking about tactical alliances, and one of those parties (the lib dems) didn't still have a Swinson rule in place banning MPs from making support arrangements.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Am I the only person who thinks making contingency plans (even if you don't end up using them in the event of whatever the contingency is) is sensible and not 'wishing the bad thing' into existence?

Given that yesterday we were talking about how to survive an apocalypse yesterday, I'm guessing "no"!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Given that 'wishing a bad thing into existence' isn't a thing that is possible, I'd say you're right. It's the opposite side of the coin from The Secret and related nonsense about willing yourself into success (ie bootstraps)

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Wait wait wait wait.

There's a party called REFUK?

Brexit Party rebranded as Reform UK. As if they hadn’t FUKed us enough already

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Aramoro posted:

Yeah and with that you need 1cm pipework not microbore. A lot of folk have problems because they install a heat pump on microbore pipework and it does not work.

Never heard of microbore before, is it a UK thing? Most pipes here I think are between 15-22 mm most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Noxville posted:

Brexit Party rebranded as Reform UK. As if they hadn’t FUKed us enough already
Honest name imo, considering they're now a single issue anti lockdown party

Red Oktober posted:

She literally cannot give her money away fast enough.
it's doable