Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Captain Invictus posted:

Went to grab a new bag of brown rice to prep for dinner, and...saw a grain of rice move. And then another. And then dozens. And noticed a few tiny caterpillars (I assume) worming their way out of a hole in the bag, into a hole they had chewed in the bag next to them. So the whole lot of it has gotta go. Great, my entire rice supply got contaminated by what I assume are moth larvae since I've been seeing these annoying little moths come out of seemingly nowhere recently. Guess I have to keep any bags I get from now on in the fridge if the little bastards are able to chew through the goddamn plastic

Empty the whole cupboard, clean it thoroughly, and then spray it with a 1:1 solution of water and vinegar; leave to act for a couple hours, ensuring it gets into the cracks, then rinse and wipe dry. Should get rid of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This is on a plastic shelf unit, rather than in a cupboard. I put all the bags of rice in a plastic grocery bag, tied it up, and stuffed it in the freezer to kill them off. There's nothing else on the shelves that is susceptible to that sort of critter, so that's good.

there always seems to be that one box of [stuff] in your cabinet or shelves that gets infested by something but doesn't look like it from the outside, so when you go to use some occasionally, you're greeted with a nightmare.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
I slipped banana peel style on the tile in the mud room and landed hard on my left hand, elbow and left hip. Awesome. I already have chronic tennis elbow and Dequervain’s in that arm and thumb and now they’re both on screech, as is the left side of my torso from shoulder joint to neck to waist.
Did I mention what I slipped on was dog pee on the tile?
Yes, it was.
Thanks for trying to take me out, dogs, I’m sorry I didn’t let you have all the cat food you wanted, you jerky little assassins. 😠
At least I have flexaril and aleve.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Biplane posted:

My laptop died for good I think and i can't afford a replacement

And I had a dream where a spirit showed me a "bad" version of myself, sitting in a basement doing acid and listening to nine inch nails, playing dungeons and dragons with my big titty goth girlfriend and our friends. Motherfucker this is way better than my actual life, gently caress!! Was so shook i couldn't fall back asleep so I am tired and extra gruntled

Thanks to lots of laptop replacements/upgrades at work, I've got laptops coming out of my butt (I'm saving them from the e-waste dumpster because they're generally still good.)

PM me if you want a slightly used, 3-4 year old Windows 10 machine. Free of charge.

Captain Invictus posted:

This is on a plastic shelf unit, rather than in a cupboard. I put all the bags of rice in a plastic grocery bag, tied it up, and stuffed it in the freezer to kill them off. There's nothing else on the shelves that is susceptible to that sort of critter, so that's good.

there always seems to be that one box of [stuff] in your cabinet or shelves that gets infested by something but doesn't look like it from the outside, so when you go to use some occasionally, you're greeted with a nightmare.

Yeah, I had the same thing happen to me five or six years ago. Pantry moth larva in one of those rice-mix boxes (like Rice-A-Roni, but different brand.) Unfortunately, I had a LOT of things improperly stored in my cabinets (flour and rice just in the bags they came in, loosely closed, half open boxes of pasta) so to be safe almost all my carbs had to go.

Although it could have been a good excuse to go keto, heh, but in the end had to use a couple bug-bombs in the kitchen to be sure.

Content, though in comparison to the rest of you mine sort of pales...but have been applying to new jobs, and it's just frustrating to get constantly rejected. I feel like I will never move on from my current position because although I work in IT, I've never had any formal training, it's all been on-the-job training on an "as-needed for this one specific thing" basis. So when all these interviewers ask if I have experience with XYZ, the answer is typically no...or "very little."

Guess it's time to just start lying on my resume and interviews, huh?

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 14:14 on Jun 9, 2021

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Captain Invictus posted:

Not that you're looking for advice but I keep stuff like rice in a food-grade sealable bucket. It's great to buy 20 lbs of rice and lentils and have them safe from the elements. You can get buckets like that at Kroger's usually.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I keep having dreams where I go to work and everything goes wrong.

Then I wake up feeling exhausted....and go to work.

I have enough trouble getting over 5 hours of sleep as it is... ugh.

Detheros has a new favorite as of 00:48 on Jun 10, 2021

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

I once made some macaroni and cheese and got all the way to eating the first bite when I saw what looked like a mealworm drooping out of a noodle. To this day I cannot eat mac and cheese unless it's the loving kid shape bullshit. No hollow tubes!

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

It's loving hot.

Like so hot it was 88 degrees INSIDE my apartment when I got home after my 1.2 mile walk from work.

It's June 11 in Iowa and it was 96 loving degrees yesterday, 2 weeks ago it was 30 degrees.

Thanks, Climate change, I love paying TRIPLE my normal electricity bill 2 months early! :shepicide:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cowslips Warren posted:

I once made some macaroni and cheese and got all the way to eating the first bite when I saw what looked like a mealworm drooping out of a noodle. To this day I cannot eat mac and cheese unless it's the loving kid shape bullshit. No hollow tubes!
I'll never forget when I was a kid, opening a pack of...zebra cakes, I want to say, hexagonal snack cakes with white frosting and zig zags of chocolate frosting on top of that, taking a big bite of one, and it just being FULL of maggots.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Oh gently caress I would never eat again.

Some time ago my favorite drink was something called Sobe Lite Water. The mango melon sugar free poo poo, I would drink two a day. Well one day I drank half of one and left it at work, out of the fridge since I liked it room temperature. Fast forward a few days later when I remembered it, grabbed it up and took a nice swig...only to realize I had to have backwashed some lunch into the fucker, because there were floating balls of mold in it.

Tasted oddly like dustballs.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My fridge stopped getting cold but the freezer still works but I had to rush off to work so I couldn't do any maintenance. I'm hoping unplugging it to defrost and opening the back to vacuum out any dust will solve the problem. REALLY don't want to have to buy a new fridge right now with how absurdly expensive they've gotten

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Went on a date last night, which was great, except we both ordered the same thing and both ended up getting food poisoning. Mild at least but I have work tonight and obviously slept like poo poo so I’m completely drained. At least she’s taking the “first date food poisoning” well and not letting it ruin things.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The hemorrhoid is back :saddumb:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The hemorrhoid is back :saddumb:

Well that's not a very nice thing to say about UglyInTheMorning. :P

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think I accidentally lead on a co-worker and today I basically rebuffed her advances, and now I'm in that super-awkward stage where she's deromanticizing me and I'm feeling like my every move is a silent critique on why I'm unlovable and how she could have ever been attracted to me. This would be easier if my girlfriend wasn't currently completely unavailable due to things in her own life.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Got into a humongous fight with the wife last night that carries over into this morning. That's resolved but now it triggered my depression and I can't get up off the couch.

Me again.
Oct 19, 2017
An attractive man has asked me to the July 4th rodeo in Prescott. (Why? IDK. Am autistic and have learned from experience that interest in me is a definite sign of bad taste/judgement. :redhammer:)

I don't know how to date correctly and am too old to learn. I feel bad for him now because I will have to refuse and I like him very much and would have liked to have sex with him.

I also would rather be bothering my Dad with this rather than y'all but he's dead 4 weeks tomorrow so I can't and I miss him a lot. :j:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Dang :( I'm sorry for your loss.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Me again. posted:

An attractive man has asked me to the July 4th rodeo in Prescott. (Why? IDK. Am autistic and have learned from experience that interest in me is a definite sign of bad taste/judgement. :redhammer:)

I don't know how to date correctly and am too old to learn. I feel bad for him now because I will have to refuse and I like him very much and would have liked to have sex with him.
Don't refuse, give it a shot. If you've got problems, maybe he's the type who will be understanding of those problems and it will work out. Better to find out whether it would work, than to go your entire life wondering if it could have.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Take a chance with it. I completely understand that line of thought (I'm an unrepentant weaboo and a thundering fatass to boot; if someone is showing interest in me something is very wrong with the universe) but you're never too old to learn how to date. It's pretty simple: Just go, and have a good time. If it's not going well, you can leave partway, and if he's as good a person as you think he is (you did say you like him) then he'll understand.

Me again.
Oct 19, 2017
He got divorced last year and we talked about it a great deal at the time. He delivers hazmat-rated materials to my workplace once a week and he probably knows that I am a strange person by now. Whatever solution I decide on will need to preserve the ability to work pleasantly with him since the handling takes good cooperation and is potentially dangerous.

Maybe his thought is that he is also inexperienced with dating and would like to rehearse with someone nonthreatening before actively pursuing a courtship campaign with a more suitable partner, in which case I would be glad to be useful to him.

I'll tell him explicitly about my inexperience and general life situation and let him decide based on how well or poorly spending time outside of work goes whether he would continue or let the thing drop. I'll decide the same for myself also - he is very attractive.

Biplane posted:

Dang :( I'm sorry for your loss.
Flogging Molly has been doing a lot of heavy lifting for me lately! Always despised them (pretentious lyrics, and for a long time I thought the singer's accent was terrible minstrelry rather than just his accent), but a couple of days after my dad left I heard If I Ever Leave This World Alive by accident and was so overcome with outrage at the sheer gall of that man's suggestion that the world really hasn't ended that I was able to get going again and function. I would rather that my dad still be alive and that I still didn't like Flogging Molly. But Flogging Molly has good songs about death and I recommend their death songs highly now if you want to think about the nature of death while being simultaneously entertained. :)

Devil's Dance Floor!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2OC_lDrsRw

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

My wife got this awful summer cold at work last week and now I've caught it. The really frustrating part is that other than completely losing my voice and feeling slightly more zonked-out than normal I feel pretty much okay, until the very second I do some kind of minor chore or something and then suddenly crash and spend two hours sleeping it off. Just this annoying sense of helplessness while I know there's a million things to do around the house.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Me again. posted:

Flogging Molly has been doing a lot of heavy lifting for me lately! Always despised them (pretentious lyrics, and for a long time I thought the singer's accent was terrible minstrelry rather than just his accent), but a couple of days after my dad left I heard If I Ever Leave This World Alive by accident and was so overcome with outrage at the sheer gall of that man's suggestion that the world really hasn't ended that I was able to get going again and function. I would rather that my dad still be alive and that I still didn't like Flogging Molly. But Flogging Molly has good songs about death and I recommend their death songs highly now if you want to think about the nature of death while being simultaneously entertained. :)

Devil's Dance Floor!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2OC_lDrsRw

Thank you, I will give it a listen. Today is a listening-to-music-on-the-couch kinda day. And I wish you luck in your dating endeavours :)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My pet died, my car died and someone stole my wedding suit.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I'm living in a guest house at my parents property after covid, slip and fall injuries, and chronic health issues hosed over my life in general. They opened my door this morning without knocking, to fight on my door step about lumber or something. There was a project I was going to do, as a self confidence thing for myself, if nothing else, build a porch with a small railing, to replace the messed up entrance to this place. My terms were "Let me do this on my own, I dont want your help." so my dad comes in and takes over the project, tells me im doing it wrong, and I walk away, because well poo poo, they violated the one bit of terms I laid out. his reply to me wanting to do it on my own is he will let me use the power drill and screw gun and assemble his design. No.

There are some loving things you have to do yourself, and some hands on building would have been nice. See? I have skills and I'm good with them. Motherfucker will put his hand on the drill you are using and 'help' you by pushing on it. He treats me like I have no idea what im doing. He Injured me when I ws trying to use a trench machine because he saw me being careful, and took careful as struggling. He shoved the far end of it and drove my wrist into a pile of plywood when I wasnt looking.

I am loving 40, and 6'3" and a master mechanic with all the certs to go with it.

gently caress off.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean. they're boomers. they're always right, and want to be sure you know it.

even my mom, who I love dearly, is afflicted by this problem.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Inzombiac posted:

My pet died, my car died and someone stole my wedding suit.

Everything going bad at once is the worst. Sorry, man

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
TW: mild discussion about suicide attempt

This is not about me, but today I learned that my niece attempted suicide (and thankfully failed) at some point last year. I knew she's been badly depressed, on meds, therapy, etc. but we have never really had a link and I have next to no communication with my sister. We don't even live in the same country, and 90% of my convos with her are about how terrible everything she has around is - she can't travel because COVID, she can't go to restaurants because lockdown, my niece being so depressed is bringing her down sooo much. She's got that giant ego that makes everything about her and her needs. And the kid, she's really a good kid, shy and smart and a good student but she's gotten a nice combo of overwhelmed with high school studies and family hormones tending to go really off around late teens age and causing all sorts of depressive/anxious poo poo. I knew she had run out of her house at some point, but she's back now, I didn't knew she attempted to off herself. And I feel kinda helpless, I ain't even sure if there was something I could do to help, being so far and so removed from them :sigh:.

Sucks. At least she's apparently recovering real well, passed her tests, is going to college and in treatment (that's one thing my sis really did well, she's always tried to get her help). And I am not even supposed to know so I can't even ask.

Shellception has a new favorite as of 15:30 on Jun 26, 2021

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
We just put my dog to sleep. She was 15 so it wasn't unexpected but it hurts. She was my baby.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

So I work a poo poo job where they pay us minimum wage, never give raises, and don't give benefits. Until the beginning of the year, it kinda made up for that by 90% of my shift being me alone, with a lot of downtime so I would just text/internet or whatever. The poo poo pay didn't feel so poo poo when I only had to "work" for a couple hours a day.

Also my manager is barely literate, racist as hell, constantly lies to customers to sell product (despite none of us earning any commission), and is too scared of having to deal with conflict that she won't hire more staff. The last two employees had to be fired, so now to avoid that trouble we just have half the number of bodies as we should. Makes it really hard to book time off, or get coverage if someone can't come in when 3-4 out of 5 employees are working each day.

So in January, the store changed its policies so that there always had to be two people working, which meant its much harder to get away and do nothing. One coworker is just as tired of this job as me, she'll go in the back room ant text, I'll sit at the front and text, we pretty much pretend we're alone.

But the worst part is one of my coworkers, who also happens to be the one I work most often with is a loving keener who bends over backwards for this store. She always finds something to do, cleaning, rearranging, dusting, whatever. Despite the fact that the only way the store could pay us less would involve breaking the law, she is loyal and a Hard Worker™.

We're supposed to mop the floor every night, but during the summer we only do it once every 2-3 days, since it's really not needed. Even the manager gets in on this reduced work, it's absurd to mop the whole floor when theres just a tiny bit of dust that can be swept.

Except this coworker. She is compulsed to do it every single night. She can't just let it go unmopped. And of course, I have to help, because I'd look like the biggest rear end in a top hat if I just sat around while she mopped. So much of my job is now useless busy work so I don't feel guilty about doing nothing around her. (also she got transferred to this store from another one for beginning a relationship with someone she worked with, who is 23 to her 53 lol). I know I need to find a better job, but it's not really an option at this time, I'm just so frustrated at how quickly this job has gone to poo poo.

Oh, and the icing on the cake is that the AC is slowly dying; I doubt it'll survive this heat wave.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I got 3 hours of sleep today, woke up wide awake and tossed and turned for 3 more hours trying to get back to sleep. I need surgery to fix my eye that has corneal scarring and is impairing my vision but can't get an appointment for that until a month from now. I have work in 20 minutes. It's 98 degrees out. My allergies are in high gear. I can't call out today since I already have another day scheduled off this week to take my dad to the hospital for surgery.

Everything is hot and miserable

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have to choose between getting a replacement AC unit or dental surgery.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Covid is still a thing, Covid keeps being a thing.
And people are not rational actors.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Inzombiac posted:

I have to choose between getting a replacement AC unit or dental surgery.
Get a fan and look online to see if there are any Craigslist ads for cheap used mini window ACs to at least cover you for the moment. Get the dental surgery. From experience, I will 100% take intense heat over intolerable dental pain any day of the week.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Captain Invictus posted:

Get a fan and look online to see if there are any Craigslist ads for cheap used mini window ACs to at least cover you for the moment. Get the dental surgery. From experience, I will 100% take intense heat over intolerable dental pain any day of the week.

Turns out I might be able to handle both, but thanks.

Why wasn't I born rich?!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I slept the overwhelming majority of the day, like 12-4 then 9-5. I’m exhausted and I don’t know why, must be coming down with something because my left ear is all jacked up and feels like I have to equalize the pressure but I can’t.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Electric bill came and surpsise surprise it's 4x my normal amount because I have to slam on air conditioning every single day.

Oh, but climate change isn't real. :shepicide:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Was looking at my phone in bed with the lights out when an ant crawled on my hand, I waved my hand to shake it off and when back to reading on my phone.

A couple minutes later I felt a burning sensation on my back, and was like "ow, that's uncomfortable!", but didn't think it was anything serious. Then another burning spike, and another, and another, moving down the center of my lower back. I leapt out of bed howling, and the "ant" I had waved off my hand turned out to be some sort of small, jumpy black wasp that looked like a winged ant that had crawled inside my bedshirt and was absolutely going to town on my lower back. That little bastard got the ol' open palm slap-as-hard-as-I-can-and-mash execution for its poo poo. Fucker.

I am now, instead of going to sleep, laying down awkwardly on my back on a big bag of frozen veggies and hopefully the burning feeling will subside shortly.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Smashed my dick into my bike in the parking lot after safely biking down a bunch of gnarly technical /Enduro trails. loving of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Something happened with an old shoulder injury and I’ve had pins and needles in my pointer/ring finger all morning. It’s maddening.