Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Two classic settings will return in 2022, and two totally new settings are in the works:

https://twitter.com/WinningerR/status/1404492198809272322

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Spelljammer 5E please.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
They're moving into Hasbro IP.

Monopoly and Hungry Hungry Hippos.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I've really got to wonder what "Format you've never seen before" means. Do they mean "a format you've never seen before for a setting in 5th edition" (like a box set)? Do they mean "a format you've never seen before in D&D" (like an audio book or sumerian clay tablets?) Do they mean "a format you've never seen before in all of publishing" (like an over the air update to the vaccine nanomachines that downloads the book into your brain)?

I mean, if it's Spelljammer or Planescape, I'll take any of those, but touting the format as never before seen does make me a touch nervous because it's not like Wizards have mastered the format they normally use to begin with.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Reveilled posted:

Do they mean "a format you've never seen before for a setting in 5th edition" (like a box set)? Do they mean "a format you've never seen before in D&D" (like an audio book or sumerian clay tablets?) Do they mean "a format you've never seen before in all of publishing" (like an over the air update to the vaccine nanomachines that downloads the book into your brain)?

It's up to your DM. :haw:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
They are bringing back Mystara

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Hey guys,

Really quick, what are a couple of good feats that a 4th level Bard of Creation should consider taking? Friend of mine asked me for advice, but I've only splashed a little 5e and am a long way from the mastery that y'all possess.

TIA!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Spelljammer seems likely to me, and I'll be tickled pink if they put in Dark Sun, Planescape seems really unlikely.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Hey guys,

Really quick, what are a couple of good feats that a 4th level Bard of Creation should consider taking? Friend of mine asked me for advice, but I've only splashed a little 5e and am a long way from the mastery that y'all possess.

TIA!

Fey Touched is the best feat for anyone

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pussy Quipped posted:

Spelljammer 5E please.

I'm playing in a Spelljammer campaign right now and it rocks but it feels rather quaint, in that so much of it involves factions grouped together almost solely by race. I'd imagine a version updated for 5e would look quite different, with multiracial factions controlling the various towers instead of one race per tower and a power structure other than a city council where every race gets one vote.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Filthy Hans posted:

I'm playing in a Spelljammer campaign right now and it rocks but it feels rather quaint, in that so much of it involves factions grouped together almost solely by race. I'd imagine a version updated for 5e would look quite different, with multiracial factions controlling the various towers instead of one race per tower and a power structure other than a city council where every race gets one vote.
:confused:
Racial towers? I thought Spelljammer was the setting where magic sailing ships fly between different worlds

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I'm just going to say it: Greyhawk

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Azathoth posted:

I'm just going to say it: Greyhawk

:eyepop:
But the prophecy says if the Castle Greyhawk module is ever published it will be a sign of the end times

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Rutibex posted:

But the prophecy says if the Castle Greyhawk module is ever published it will be a sign of the end times

*nods solemnly*

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Hey guys,

TIA!

Don't want to be a unfun advice giver, but Unfortunately for level 4 it's usually ability score increase in their attack stat by +2. Because the game doesn't have partial partial successes in combat (either you hit or your don't!), hitting (and thus being accurate) is very important. 5e doesn't really have a warlord-esque "everyone else is my weapon, I never need to attack class," so I think your bard player still rolls d20s.

Unless they rolled super poo poo hot for stats (and who rolls stats these days!?!), there's no way they have a 20 in their attack stat (probably CHA in this case).

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 16, 2021

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
If you have a high cha score, inspiring leader is very good imo. That temp hp adds up at level 4

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

:confused:
Racial towers? I thought Spelljammer was the setting where magic sailing ships fly between different worlds

overall yes, that's what the setting is about, but the Spelljammer itself is a giant ship, a city built atop a great flying manta ray and the buildings in the city are occupied by different races that constantly quarrel with one another, and that's where my current campaign has taken our troupe

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 16, 2021

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Hey guys,

TIA!

Rutibex posted:

Fey Touched is the best feat for anyone

Drewjitsu posted:

Don't want to be a unfun advice giver, but Unfortunately for level 4 it's usually ability score increase in their attack stat by +2. Because the game doesn't have partial partial successes in combat (either you hit or your don't!), hitting (and thus being accurate) is very important. 5e doesn't really have a warlord-esque "everyone else is my weapon, I never need to attack class," so I think your bard player still rolls d20s.

Unless they rolled super poo poo hot for stats (and who rolls stats these days!?!), there's no way they have a 20 in their attack stat (probably CHA in this case).

Fey Touched provides +1 to your casting stat in addition to the other benefits so if your stat is odd to begin with, you'll get the same benefit to all your rolls as well as Misty Step and another spell of your choice

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Reveilled posted:

I've really got to wonder what "Format you've never seen before" means.

I'm convinced that there's a lot of room for cool stuff by making modules or setting books that are just a lightweight app, so you can bake some extremely easy cross-referencing and simple stat-tracking right into the 'rulebook'. I wonder if they might be going that route

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Rutibex posted:

First dnd book I ever got was Glantri: Kingdom of Magic. My parents had no idea it was part of D&D or needed other books to actually be able to play so I tried to sort out the 2nd Ed rules without any of the core rules, just the splatbook and included adventure.

So things definitely were hard to parse for a young kid, and I'd love for Mystara to come back.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 16, 2021

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Hey guys,

TIA!

Inspiring Leader: (Temporary) Hitpoints for the whole party! Everyone will love having the bard around even if he occasionally sings off key.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Rutibex posted:

The arcade beat em ups rule, they're the only thing I know about mystara

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Hey guys,

TIA!

With College of Creation, you're probably not caring too much about improving your martial abilities.

Resilient Constitution is good on any caster without a Con save, but it's better if you have an odd numbered con score.
War caster also helps keep concentration, and lets you throw vicious mockery as an opportunity attack instead of a dagger. If you don't have an odd con score, this might be more useful.

Feytouched is the best half feat which has a +Cha attached, so is a good choice if you have an odd charisma score
(Telekinetic, Telepathic, Shadow touched, etc. fill the same kind of role- and are close enough in power that you can really just take the one you like the concept of most)

Lucky is generically useful

Eldritch Adept offers some really interesting options that mostly give utility. Misty visions, Mask of Many Faces and Devil Sight seem like especially good choices for a bard. Beast Speech and Eldritch Sight could also potentially be fun but a little more dependent on party comp and DM.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Undead Hippo posted:

Resilient Constitution is good on any caster without a Con save, but it's better if you have an odd numbered con score.
War caster also helps keep concentration, and lets you throw vicious mockery as an opportunity attack instead of a dagger. If you don't have an odd con score, this might be more useful.

Feytouched is the best half feat which has a +Cha attached, so is a good choice if you have an odd charisma score
(Telekinetic, Telepathic, Shadow touched, etc. fill the same kind of role- and are close enough in power that you can really just take the one you like the concept of most)

Completely in agreement with you, a bard should either buff their Cha or Buff their concentration. However, I will double down on saying that if the Bard is going for a half feat, Feytouched IS the answer. Fey Touched ends up being much much better than Telekinetic (this is true of a lot of Bards but Creation especially), the main reason being how often in combat the Creation Bard is using its bonus Action to inspire or attack with its animated pet. It will rarely have bonus actions available to leverage Telekinetic, but the occasional Misty Step IS still very useful (and that plus Gift of Alacrity is downright obscene)

That being said, unless the Bard in question has an Odd charisma, they really need to focus on improving their concentration saves one way or another.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 16, 2021

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I've added sections to Satan Has His Miracles on feats and backgrounds and I'm wondering if I should re-order the PDF, right now it looks like this:

Would it make more sense to go something like

Backgrounds
Classes
Feats
Ship Combat Rules
Wars and Mass Combat
Bestiary
Items and Prices
The World
The Adventure
Licences

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Your core idea seems to be the setting, so I'd lead with that, then the rules in roughly "play order" -- character creation first, then in-game rules -- and finally the Big Lists of Stuff at the end.

So something like:

The World
The Adventure

Backgrounds
Classes
Feats

Ship Combat Rules
Wars and Mass Combat

Items and Prices (if you consider this part of character creation, maybe put it earlier, below Feats)
Bestiary

Licenses

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Reveilled posted:

I've really got to wonder what "Format you've never seen before" means.

I'm hoping they're only talking to newer players there and it's boxed sets and Dark Sun -style flipbooks.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Rutibex posted:

How was your nap mr van winkle, I have some newspapers here you may want to read.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

I'm a web-developer by trade, and needed to learn React recently at work and so I thought I'd try my hand at creating a tool for DMing in D&D. The very first version of which is available to demo here:

Dungeon Master Campaign Manager

It's intended to be a localhost site that a DM fires up for their session.

Right now you can:
* Document your Adventures/Campaigns.
* Have interactive map notes that allow you to keep track of a map room by room as your players explore.
* Turns your dice formulas (3d6) into clickable buttons that roll the dice for you.
* Expandable NPC note sheet
* A mega reference sheet.

You can clone your own version of it at my Github Repo here if you want to tinker with it:

DMCM Github repo

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Backgrounds:

The Metagamer

The 13th Warrior

The Murderhobo Caretaker

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/SageAdviceDnD/status/1405300251825786885?s=20

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

PeterWeller posted:

I'm hoping they're only talking to newer players there and it's boxed sets and Dark Sun -style flipbooks.

Based on that dumb survey with a threatening NDA that they put up a few days ago (before taking down) I'm now relatively convinced that "never seen before" actually means "on a virtual tabletop" despite that obviously being something all of us have seen before.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

It's a LARP handbook

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
It’s just written in crayon

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

The main thing that killed me about the 4e realms was introducing the coolest faction (not necessarily evil undead nation that can travel in a magical space between graveyards and claims them as embassies) and then killed them off in a three novel series. :(

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Proficient Scoundrel posted:

I'm a web-developer by trade, and needed to learn React recently at work and so I thought I'd try my hand at creating a tool for DMing in D&D. The very first version of which is available to demo here:

Dungeon Master Campaign Manager

This is really cool! The clickable map is really nice

I'm actually working on something pretty similar (for the exact same reason--to teach me React). I'll link it here next milestone I hit

Actually, I have one other 5e-themed game I'm working on--I'm on the edge of dropping a big patch for it, but would people be into me linking that here as well once the patch goes up?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mormon Star Wars posted:

The main thing that killed me about the 4e realms was introducing the coolest faction (not necessarily evil undead nation that can travel in a magical space between graveyards and claims them as embassies) and then killed them off in a three novel series. :(

Oh that sounds cool I'm stealing that. They can be the bitter enemies of the librarians who live in the secret world connecting all libraries.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

OtspIII posted:

This is really cool! The clickable map is really nice

I'm actually working on something pretty similar (for the exact same reason--to teach me React). I'll link it here next milestone I hit

Actually, I have one other 5e-themed game I'm working on--I'm on the edge of dropping a big patch for it, but would people be into me linking that here as well once the patch goes up?

Thanks! And yeah, post it!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Post-tasha's, what race would people suggest for an arcane trickster / bladesinger character?

Workshopping various backup characters in my head and I like the idea of AT/bs with telekinetic feat for a super-duper Mage Hand, jedi-esque character. Not sure what race would mesh best with it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Post-tasha's, what race would people suggest for an arcane trickster / bladesinger character?

Workshopping various backup characters in my head and I like the idea of AT/bs with telekinetic feat for a super-duper Mage Hand, jedi-esque character. Not sure what race would mesh best with it though.

If you’re just min maxing, the answer is almost always custom lineage, or, if your DM is persnickety about elven accuracy, some flavor of half elf or elf.

If you’re not min maxing, but can do the tasha’s stat reassignments, then just follow your heart and pick whatever is cool. I did a tortle warlock for a one shot a while back and it ruled.