Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

If I ever asked "how is X lawyer doing" I'd be much more inclined to believe some crazy random bullshit than "oh they're fine."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

still sounds healthier than practicing law

yep

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Drunken thought last night:
Big Law lawyers are culturally PMC liberals whose work furthers the society-ruining forces they, at some level, realize are destructive. This cognitive dissonance is a main driver of the alcoholism endemic in the profession.

Plaintiff's injury attorneys are culturally petite bourgeois small business tyrants whose work can, in some respects, actually improve the lives of people who have been hosed over by forces bigger than themselves. If they were in any other line of work, they would be the loudest advocates of tort reform.

Does this observation from a rising 2L whose exposure to the world of law is mostly from academia hold any water?

Also, got ranked 1 in my part time class.

Nichol posted:

This guy is a big fish in a barrel.

Hard agree, but since I have to go part time, and the higher ranked schools in my area don't offer part-time programs, I don't have much choice but to be in the barrel.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 17, 2021

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Big Law lawyers are culturally PMC liberals whose work furthers the society-ruining forces they, at some level, realize are destructive. This cognitive dissonance is a main driver of the alcoholism endemic in the profession.

Plaintiff's injury attorneys are culturally petite bourgeois small business tyrants whose work can, in some respects, actually improve the lives of people who have been hosed over by forces bigger than themselves. If they were in any other line of work, they would be the loudest advocates of tort reform.

Does this observation from a rising 2L whose exposure to the world of law is mostly from academia hold any water?

This guy is a big fish in a barrel.

Anyone with any sense whatsoever would be against tort reform. Here in BC we just passed no fault insurance. No longer are the injured compensated for the costs of their treatment if it was reasonable, now they are basically fighting with an insurer for coverage from day 1.

David Eby got me paid though so :coal:

We only had to organize and threaten job action on the part of the entire Legal Aid defence bar

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

its more likely that the legal industry attracts people that predisposed to addiction, rather than the legal industry causing addictions, especially with alcoholism

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Flip Yr Wig posted:

BigLaw are generally so wrapped up in "Firm Culture", and so busy billing 3,000 hours a year that I doubt they ever stop and think about anything so nuanced.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

PI Attorneys are generally even bigger drunks than Big Law, and most of the ones I've known would shank your grandmother for a 6 figure settlement, its just that insurance companies actually have the money to pay

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Its a beautiful sentiment though, that somewhere in the barren ethical wasteland of the practice of law, there's an oasis of "the good ones"

It is a Mirage, we are all poo poo.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Biglaw attorneys drink primarily because they are overworked and their jobs are typically extremely stressful. Anyone who takes the time to consider the broader ethical implications of that career will probably be out in the first 2-3 years.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I thought about the broader morality of my job too much lately so I’m leaving it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It's me, I'm the good one

(someone please pay me)

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

It's me, I'm the evil biglawyer, and I sleep very comfortably on a very big pile of money.

Except for when I think about how big the partners' piles of money are, and then I hate it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

Biglaw attorneys drink primarily because they are overworked and their jobs are typically extremely stressful. Anyone who takes the time to consider the broader ethical implications of that career will probably be out in the first 2-3 years.

yeah, substance abuse is common in stressful jobs, even ones that are ~rewarding~

money is rewarding, i don't know why people think it's not

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Biglawyers are alcoholics because the work is really stressful and also because there's a booze-soaked culture in law starting from law school. If biglawyers billed on average 1500 hours a year, never worked past 7pm and got paid the same as they do now, they'd drink a lot less.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Alright, maybe I won't go popping this theory off at career expos and mixers.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Flip Yr Wig posted:

A lot of attorneys know people in the industry with genuine problems, so in practice it's more tragic than anything else. Someone I knew from my law school class year got into an elite firm and was dead of an overdose within three years (heroin, but he started with alcohol). His firm was kind enough to send a very attractive and well-spoken partner to speak at his funeral.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 18, 2021

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

blarzgh posted:

Its a beautiful sentiment though, that somewhere in the barren ethical wasteland of the practice of law, there's an oasis of "the good ones"

It is a Mirage, we are all poo poo.

What about lawyers who seek to liberate useful property from unproductive uses like housing war widows and turning it over to the state so the property can be used to benefit everyone?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

disjoe posted:

It's me, I'm the evil biglawyer, and I sleep very comfortably on a very big pile of money.

Except for when I think about how big the partners' piles of money are, and then I hate it.

Congrats on the $25,000 raise

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

sullat posted:

What about lawyers who seek to liberate useful property from unproductive uses like housing war widows and turning it over to the state so the property can be used to benefit everyone?

I stand corrected

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

Congrats on the $25,000 raise

Thanks, it made the fact that my family commonly forgets who I am worth it

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

evilweasel posted:

yeah, substance abuse is common in stressful jobs, even ones that are ~rewarding~

money is rewarding, i don't know why people think it's not

Ya I feel like the whole industry and especially the law school job search would benefit from people just being real and honest with themselves and prospective hires:

"Look, you honestly might like doing grind work on mundane corporate questions for 60+ hours per week. But realistically, the reason the pay is so high is because the job loving sucks, at least for the first 5 years. They want the best lawyers, but you aren't a special one of a kind hire, if and when you burn out, there will always be someone in the wings."

"If you're ok with that, welcome aboard. But if you expect to "change the world" you came to the wrong place. If you want a job that sucks less, you're going to get paid less to do it, because it doesn't suck as much."

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

sullat posted:

Well those people are just plain all-american rootin tootin heroes :patriot::911:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Hard agree, but since I have to go part time, and the higher ranked schools in my area don't offer part-time programs, I don't have much choice but to be in the barrel.

Also did anyone say this yet?

Lmao

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Ani posted:

Biglawyers are alcoholics because the work is really stressful and also because there's a booze-soaked culture in law starting from law school. If biglawyers billed on average 1500 hours a year, never worked past 7pm and got paid the same as they do now, they'd drink a lot less.

I dunno, lawyers in the 60s and 70s didn't bill nearly as much and didn't work late as much and they may have drank even more than modern lawyers.

I have said this before and will repeat it again. Public defenders are the only good lawyers. Everyone else is trash. Including you and me.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
To be fair, I think everyone drank more in the 60s and 70s than today.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

I dunno, lawyers in the 60s and 70s didn't bill nearly as much and didn't work late as much and they may have drank even more than modern lawyers.

I have said this before and will repeat it again. Public defenders are the only good lawyers. Everyone else is trash. Including you and me.

I defend the public a lot. I continually try to claim that the general public aren't that stupid and do deserve nice infrastructure things, even though I'm lying a lot.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nice piece of fish posted:

I defend the public a lot. I continually try to claim that the general public aren't that stupid and do deserve nice infrastructure things, even though I'm lying a lot.

prosecutor: "I don't think I can offer that, I have to protect the public"

me (thinking, not saying): "Bitch, I defend the public! From you! It's literally my job!"

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

prosecutor: "I don't think I can offer that, I have to protect the public"

me (thinking, not saying): "Bitch, I defend the public!* From you! It's literally my job!"

*"public enemy #1" to use his full name

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
In Russian, "public" as in "state" and "public" as in "people" are different words (technically "people" would be very far down the list of definitions of the Russian word for "public" that's used in legal context so nobody uses it in that context) so I never have that problem

Also that sentence is loving incomprehensible

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

nutri_void posted:

In Soviet Russia...
FTFY. Now it is an unpopular joke format rather than a run-on sentence!

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I mean it works as a description of me when I was still making the world safe for private equity LPs’ money.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Arcturas posted:

It's been a while since I asked, but how are you doing, Slyfrog? I was thinking about you the other day and wanted to wish you well. I hope stepping back from practicing is still treating you better than continuing to stick your hand into the woodchipper of the billable hour.

Hey, I'm sorry I missed this - I've kind of been just lying low for a while. I'm doing okay. It definitely is better than practicing - I'm not really doing anything productive, nor do I desire to, and that concerns me (or at least I wonder if it should concern me). I've also pretty much cast fully away from the shore and am in the open ocean now - realistically, there would be no going back to what I had before (or probably much of anything at my age), given the amount of time I have been gone and the circumstances of leaving (not that I burned bridges or went nuts on anyone, but just leaving practice for four years and playing video games isn't really conducive to future endeavors in the industry).

That being said, I am fortunate in that not being a problem I have to address right now.

Thank you for asking. :)

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 22, 2021

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Did you finally manage to pin down Charlie?

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Charlie don't surf and you know that it ain't no good

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

No - you should definitely go to firm events and discuss how these "culturally PMC" lib lawyers are actively destroying society and how they manage to live with themselves

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Nice piece of fish posted:

Did you finally manage to pin down Charlie?

I'll have you know that I'm culturally sensitive and understand the difference between Vietnamese and Chinese people, thank you.

That being said, I did borrow a page from Vietnam and went full defoliation on the poo poo she planted in my yard. Mowing over it all casually (under my project name Operation Agent Orange) seems to have finally done the trick, and I haven't seen her wandering around taking things from or planting things in my yard since. I believe she got the hint. (The hint probably should have been her noticing that she was literally planting things around my sprinkler heads, but oh well.)

I have had nice conversations with her kids since this and they seem happy enough, so if they intend to kill me, it will likely be a subterfuge operation where it comes in my sleep or something.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Lol I forgot Flip Yr Wig was the librarian that went to law school

which types of lawyers are culturally unlawful combatants

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

SlyFrog posted:

I'll have you know that I'm culturally sensitive and understand the difference between Vietnamese and Chinese people, thank you.

That being said, I did borrow a page from Vietnam and went full defoliation on the poo poo she planted in my yard. Mowing over it all casually (under my project name Operation Agent Orange) seems to have finally done the trick, and I haven't seen her wandering around taking things from or planting things in my yard since. I believe she got the hint. (The hint probably should have been her noticing that she was literally planting things around my sprinkler heads, but oh well.)

I have had nice conversations with her kids since this and they seem happy enough, so if they intend to kill me, it will likely be a subterfuge operation where it comes in my sleep or something.

I'm sorry, I missed a lot of things including this story but would like to hear this story please.

I think at this point you should be saved by any sense of justice she has because lawn mowers are very loud and don't go through doors well so you'll hear her (or her kids) coming.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1408084595610947585?s=20

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
Are there any NY-based biglawyers (ideally on the senior side) who I can DM? Trying to figure out what's market for billing rates for senior associates/counsels/junior partners in corporate work.