Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
My long haired cat is in super shed mode, and shes started to get fur-linked turds. Aka one turd will come out with a twine of fur connecting it to a second turd, or a third still in her rear end. Since this is just her own fur coming out and not say a string or plastic poo poo, I just need to help her pass it along? Like as long as she poops it clear tomorrow i just need to maybe give her some sardine oil to help lube her poops? We are on a daily full body brush schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Also Luna has literally never done anything wrong in her whole life so she doesn't need a middle and last name, whereas Aleta is not quite as blameless.

e: drooling so much on the bed that there's a permanent mark notwithstanding

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

InvisibleMonkey posted:

We tried cat-proofing our previous backyard and it turned into a full on arms race because Katya knows parkour. We have since settled on an "only when supervised" tactic, which is annoying but Katya loves going outside, eating a bit of grass, and rolling around in the dirt. She has scoped out the weak spots in the perimeter of our new backyard so we know what to look out for, fortunately the fencing is much better.

It's a struggle because outdoor cats are the norm here, even in the city, but I don't want my babies wandering the dangerous streets. The entire block has enclosed backyards though which helps, and little Kimchi is just a nervous lil dumdum who would NEVER. She just tries to eat everything that moves, apparently she brought a live bumble bee into the house the other day that my partner then had to save.

This sounds just like us. There are dozens of outdoor cats in our neighbourhood, we've even numbered them on our Covid walks! It's very quiet and low traffic (mostly bikes, score 1 for the Netherlands), but not too rural. When we got Jimmy as an outdoor cat, we gave him a flap and let him come and go as he pleased, which he loved until he died of non-outdoors related causes.

We hadn't decided what to do with Maple & PB, but when PB died suddenly we went "nope, not letting our kitten(s) out of our sight ever again". So we have put ugly netting on our ugly garden fences, and I will design less ugly netting when we remodel the garden next year. Maple and Gaia love to frolic, and maybe they can even be unsupervised during the day while we work from home (worst case we get a knock on the door from the neighbour, who's retrieved Maple from his flower beds again).

The commercial kits are stupid money though, I saw an Australian-made log-rolling contraption that would have cost like €800 for our tiny garden. I can make my own thanks!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Not sure how many of you are in the UK but there's been a recall for some brands of cat food over feline pancytopenia concerns:

https://food.gov.uk/news-alerts/alert/fsa-prin-36-2021

My cats have happily been munching their way through one of the affected items for the past month, hopefully nothing comes of it but I've just had to throw another £20 worth of it in the bin.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Jackie and I are so lucky to be living up in the mountains now - it's literally like a cat-paradise here, no exaggeration. We have this big house up at 9,000 feet in a pretty rural and out-of-the-way area, and the house sits on a pretty big plot of land with a 6-foot high (mostly) cat-proof fence. Three of the four cats can wander around freely without any concern they will ever encounter a moving car - though there are other dangers, such as the occasional goddamn mountain lion so there's always something to be cautious about.

We don't let the Mini-Scratcher out because he's young and feral, and clearly knows how to get over or through the fence because that's how he came to us this past winter, desperate to get out of the cold. Amazingly he doesn't seem to mind being an Indoor Kitty, in fact, he seems less concerned by it than nearly any other cat I've known! Very odd for a kitty earmarked for outdoor living - literally, he has one of those notches on his ear they give neutered strays. He seems to like Jackie and myself the most and hangs out with us all the time, when he's not zooming around the house like he's been fired out of a gun.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

kaworu posted:

Jackie and I are so lucky to be living up in the mountains now - it's literally like a cat-paradise here, no exaggeration. We have this big house up at 9,000 feet in a pretty rural and out-of-the-way area, and the house sits on a pretty big plot of land with a 6-foot high (mostly) cat-proof fence. Three of the four cats can wander around freely without any concern they will ever encounter a moving car - though there are other dangers, such as the occasional goddamn mountain lion so there's always something to be cautious about.

We don't let the Mini-Scratcher out because he's young and feral, and clearly knows how to get over or through the fence because that's how he came to us this past winter, desperate to get out of the cold. Amazingly he doesn't seem to mind being an Indoor Kitty, in fact, he seems less concerned by it than nearly any other cat I've known! Very odd for a kitty earmarked for outdoor living - literally, he has one of those notches on his ear they give neutered strays. He seems to like Jackie and myself the most and hangs out with us all the time, when he's not zooming around the house like he's been fired out of a gun.

Cats that had it rough (but not long enough to be feral) are usually content to stay in the easy life in my experience

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Frankston posted:

Not sure how many of you are in the UK but there's been a recall for some brands of cat food over feline pancytopenia concerns:

https://food.gov.uk/news-alerts/alert/fsa-prin-36-2021

My cats have happily been munching their way through one of the affected items for the past month, hopefully nothing comes of it but I've just had to throw another £20 worth of it in the bin.

Saw this last night and freaked out, we just a bought a new bag that's on the list, but we're not in the UK? Manufacturing details aren't super clear so I guess I'll be calling the webshop's customer service for more details.

Bobstar posted:

This sounds just like us. There are dozens of outdoor cats in our neighbourhood, we've even numbered them on our Covid walks! It's very quiet and low traffic (mostly bikes, score 1 for the Netherlands), but not too rural. When we got Jimmy as an outdoor cat, we gave him a flap and let him come and go as he pleased, which he loved until he died of non-outdoors related causes.

We hadn't decided what to do with Maple & PB, but when PB died suddenly we went "nope, not letting our kitten(s) out of our sight ever again". So we have put ugly netting on our ugly garden fences, and I will design less ugly netting when we remodel the garden next year. Maple and Gaia love to frolic, and maybe they can even be unsupervised during the day while we work from home (worst case we get a knock on the door from the neighbour, who's retrieved Maple from his flower beds again).

The commercial kits are stupid money though, I saw an Australian-made log-rolling contraption that would have cost like €800 for our tiny garden. I can make my own thanks!

Oh, hoi! That makes three dutch posters itt, I think, over-represented as usual. I did make those rolling logs btw, they're somewhere in my thread post history, they worked for a bit but then Katya just went around them, whoops.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Saw this last night and freaked out, we just a bought a new bag that's on the list, but we're not in the UK? Manufacturing details aren't super clear so I guess I'll be calling the webshop's customer service for more details.

It seems to be linked to one manufacturing plant, look for the batch code GB218E5009 underneath the BBE date. If it's not that, you should be fine. If it is that, and the BBE date is between DEC 2022 and JUN 2023, don't feed them it.

Edit: Taking another look, one article I read gives that specific batch code but then the UK government website I linked says batch code is irrelevant so yeah, don't take my word for it and get in touch with whoever you got yours from.

Frankston fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 17, 2021

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

On the same subject, how do I get my cats used to having their claws trimmed?

Maybe try some scratching posts/boards? I've a couple round the house and mine will use them quite happily when he feels the need, so his claws are fine.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Oh, hoi! That makes three dutch posters itt, I think, over-represented as usual. I did make those rolling logs btw, they're somewhere in my thread post history, they worked for a bit but then Katya just went around them, whoops.

Hah, excellent. I'm one of those expats/immigrants who come over here, stealing all your cats. This particular neighbourhood, built since the cycling revolution, is great.

For all cat-proofing or deterrence measures that cats are supposed to find unpleasant (tin foil, water, ultrasonic noise, spikes on the fence), this has been Maple's reaction:

(from here)

So far the physical barrier of a netting strip is working. She hangs on the tree trunk like an offended koala, unable to go higher than the net

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I just googled and found a guy who does cat runs as a business with his daughter, who came out and spent the day putting up netting and finding creative solutions for every potential little space they could get through. Was worth the $$ for knowing the little escape artists can't get out at all and can poo poo in the dirt and roll around on the sunny bricks in peace and safety.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

Cats that had it rough (but not long enough to be feral) are usually content to stay in the easy life in my experience

Yeah, his early life is a bit of a mystery to us but he seemed to have it a bit rough. Supposedly his first owners didn't want to reclaim him because they said he was "a bully" to the other cats, but this doesn't seem even remotely true because Mini-Scratcher is frankly the sweetest and least "bully"-like out of the four cats who live here - none of us have ever seen him growl or hiss or even behave the slightest bit mean to the other cats. He will growl and hiss (and scratch and bite, though not very vigorously and he never does much damage) at nearly any human who tries to touch him, or even approach him, though - little guy has absolutely ZERO trust or affection for humans, though he's been getting a bit better about it.

My method for trying to get him more social and trusting of humans is that I basically never try to touch him, and even avoid looking him as much as possible. But I've made a point of approaching him often without trying to touch or pet him, and leaving my hand in close proximity to him while never making any effort to invade his space. Several months of this have actually worked pretty well... Anyone have any other ideas for trying to get an extremely shy and skittish cat more social?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

That's pretty much all you can do at first, just exist non-threateningly in the same space. Once they let their guard down a tiny bit you can try play with them (I had a lot of luck with a laser pointer with Peridot since she found fishing rod toys too threatening at first) and give them treats when you're around, but mostly it's just existing near them without trying to interact or look at them that will let them learn that you're okay to hang out with.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
just took my cat in for her vaccinations and she managed to poo poo in her carrier both on the way there and on the way back

I can only assume she knew in advance something was up (even though the carrier was hidden away right until the last minute) and had been saving up ready

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I had a random thought this morning, maybe the reason I get claws gently scraping across my face is rear end in a top hat is trying to be cute and friendly

I'll go over to him while he's sleeping and scratch his face and he likes it so clearly I do too

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

This is Nari, she was born 4/4/2021 and we just adopted her from the Fresno SPCA

Our other cat Friday is now a big sister and it only took 2 days for them to bond. Now they're running up and down the hallway of our apartment, Friday is cleaning her now and they fight like siblings do.

Everyone is very happy.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

dorium posted:

This is Nari, she was born 4/4/2021 and we just adopted her from the Fresno SPCA

Our other cat Friday is now a big sister and it only took 2 days for them to bond. Now they're running up and down the hallway of our apartment, Friday is cleaning her now and they fight like siblings do.

Everyone is very happy.

that is a pro loving cat right there

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I would die for Nari.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

^^^That is a beautiful kitty

Random vacuum anecdote: When we got our two kittens last year, we also got a Dyson-esque stick hoover, because our Roomba wasn't reaching everywhere and we wanted accessories to do the sofas and stuff. This morphed into us hoovering weekly with that, and neglecting the poor Roomba for over a year. Partially also because we wanted to know how frequently our new babies might make messes on the floor (from either end) which a scheduled Roomba might spread around.

Last week I revived the Roomba on a 9am Mon-Fri schedule, with me doing a quick scan of the living room for "little presents" when I feed them. And my god, the amount of floof it picks up in a 24h period! A couple of days would be enough to make a new cat. The floor looks great now though.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
We have both as well (but an Eufy robot-vac and a Bosch stick) but the sad reality is that the robot's schedule has been inactive for over a year, I miss coming home to sort of clean floors. :(

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I got iRobot's mopping version (Braava), which while it requires more attention than the Roomba, it makes cleaning the floors way easier. It's cheaper than Roomba too, since it doesn't have a vacuum, and the dry mop mode is great for cat hair.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

InvisibleMonkey posted:

We have both as well (but an Eufy robot-vac and a Bosch stick) but the sad reality is that the robot's schedule has been inactive for over a year, I miss coming home to sort of clean floors. :(

My long-serving roomba finally died and wasn't worth resurrecting yet again, and got replaced with a eufy I'm very happy with

It's so great for taking care of the maintenance cleaning and cuts down on how often you have to do regular vacuuming

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
My cat is on caninsulin, has been for several years. I was told to keep the vials refrigerated, so I have and always do. Take the vial out for the twice daily injections, put it back.

BUTTTTT sometimes I forget. My vet has said that you can't leave the caninsulin out for more than 6 to 8 hours. But this time I really goofed and left a full bottle out for 12 hours in an air conditioned apartment. This suggests the vial is now non-effective. But while trying to double check online, it says that caninsulin can be left at room temperature for 28 days. And I use insulin myself, and while I keep my own injectors refrigerated, I take one injector out at a time, and have been told that I could have said injector out in room temperature for four weeks, so...

What precisely is the shelf life of caninsulin? Will putting the 12 hour out one back in the fridge be fine? Is it "Don't take it out of the fridge before you properly stick a needle in to use it the first time"? Basically I'm not rolling in money and don't want to have to replace the vial if I don't technically HAVE to, or if they've been fooling with me to make money, which would make me quite cross, because they're very good vets otherwise.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

dorium posted:

Whoa, Nari is like a dead ringer for the kitten (now a very young cat) Mini-Scratcher we adopted this past January - the very shy one I was talking about before.

He's fully grown and was already around 6-10 months old when we adopted him (tough to be sure) but as a kitten I've no doubt he looked quite a bit like your kitten!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Had to take one of my cats to the vets earlier because she hasn't been eating or drinking at all since yesterday, or even moving from her bed. 30 minutes and £230 (thank god for insurance) later, turns out she had an infection, was severely dehydrated and was running a fever around 41.5°C. They pumped her full of fluids and antibiotics and she seems better (went straight to the food bowl when we got back). Hopefully she'll be back to normal tomorrow, if not it's back to vets.

Still, it's shaken me a little just how aggressively and out of nowhere it seemed to come from. The vet wasn't really able to pinpoint it even after running some blood tests and I dread to think what might have happened had I not made the call to get her in today.

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

anyone have any recs for food for cats who need to be on diet for urinary problems? my kitty flew ok but the stress gave him an obstruction (just our luck, had to drive to the ER in the middle
of the night), and the Hill’s c/d I got him seems kinda lovely. he ain’t thrilled about eating it neither

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

My picky crystal-prone girl gets Royal Canin Urinary S/O wet food sachets and Specific Crystal Management kibble(both low calorie versions when I can get them, because she's a mite tubby) and seems to be doing well on them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

jimmychoo posted:

anyone have any recs for food for cats who need to be on diet for urinary problems? my kitty flew ok but the stress gave him an obstruction (just our luck, had to drive to the ER in the middle
of the night), and the Hill’s c/d I got him seems kinda lovely. he ain’t thrilled about eating it neither

We use Purina one urinary tract blend and Bean hasn't gotten an inflamed bladder in years

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jimmychoo posted:

Motor likes the Hill's wet food and hates the dry but the Purina urinary food is like 1/3 the price he likes it about equally.

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

i wish it weren’t ... pork by-product. he’s been eating Wellness pate his whole life

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

kaworu posted:

Whoa, Nari is like a dead ringer for the kitten (now a very young cat) Mini-Scratcher we adopted this past January - the very shy one I was talking about before.

He's fully grown and was already around 6-10 months old when we adopted him (tough to be sure) but as a kitten I've no doubt he looked quite a bit like your kitten!

Oh WHOOOOAAAAAAA

This is cool

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm looking at a very hot weekend with no air conditioning. Anything I can do to keep my cat a little more comfortable? He's a shorthair and he's lived with me in California where we get some real hot weather, but I still feel bad about it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Cats are very good at managing their own heat, both through the insulation in their fur and their exceptional talent for finding cool places to nap. Just make sure he's always got plenty of water and he'll be fine.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

yea they'll take care of themselves for the most part. our thicker haired cat though when she's sleeping during a hot day, I'll have a damp rag i wring out of cold water and put it on her as she sleeps. she seems to like it. I'll also brush her a bit more often just to get some of that excess hair out of there. we thought ahead this year and bought one of those fountains that cycles the water around and she really likes to play and drink from it a lot.

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

this part of the cat anatomy wikipedia article has cracked me up for years:

quote:

"Cats are able to tolerate quite high temperatures: Humans generally start to feel uncomfortable when their skin temperature passes about 38 °C (100 °F), but cats show no discomfort until their skin reaches around 52 °C (126 °F), and can tolerate temperatures of up to 56 °C (133 °F) if they have access to water."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_anatomy#Physiology

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

ah yes, cats, well known for showing discomfort when something is wrong with them

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just feel my cat's ears every so often. It's not scientific at all but if you know what they usually feel like it's informative.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I bought a cooling gel mat for my cats during a particularly hot spell last summer. They've still yet to even stand on the thing.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Putting ice cubes in their water can help as well as opening a window if there's any wind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

my cats stay glued to their cooling mats in summer