Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How is the snap not like a category one jillion apocalypse? They don't even make mention of it!

"Bad Loki is hiding out in some doomsday event!"
"Oh, like when Thanos snapped half the universe out of existence?
" No, when some hurricane Katrina flattened a Wal Mart, you know, poo poo that's a big deal "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Wasn’t the idea that there wouldn’t be any survivors at the ground zero of any particular catastrophic event to make it a valid hiding spot? Like, we know of the destruction from Pompeii due to eye witnesses, geology and archeology, but we have no idea of the conversations or the individual experiences any of the people dying there would have.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
The destruction of Asgard caused 10k deaths, 8 category 5 hurricanes hitting the gulf coast probably killed way, way more. That's the difference

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I stayed up late doing dumb things:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Desperado Bones posted:

This…..is good.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Panfilo posted:

How is the snap not like a category one jillion apocalypse? They don't even make mention of it!

" No, when some hurricane Katrina flattened a Wal Mart, you know, poo poo that's a big deal "

Because everyone came back. I think that for the purposes of the TVA, an apocalypse is rated by how many people survive to keep influencing the sacred timeline.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Panfilo posted:

They were looking in a specific timeframe due to the chewing gum.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Red posted:

You know, I think the TVA was probably lazy about that deathcount; most of the deaths related to Ragnarok were probably people killed by Hela and her minions. Thor had pretty clearly evacuated Asgard by the time it was torched.

The paperwork not being fully accurate reminds me of the bit in Spiderman where the class made video is talking about the blip with the joke being that they thank all the Avengers except for the Hulk who was the one who actually brought everyone back.

Thinking of that woman Loki was trying to get more information about the TVA from and the could not give less of a gently caress attitude you'd expect from someone with a endless supply of paperwork to fill out till the end of existence.

Dragonstoned fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 18, 2021

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The TVA and all the soul crushing bureaucracy within is just Marvel’s take on the Vogon Empire.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I mean I thought it was pretty clear that the whole way this works is that there are several timelines happening, but all of them are being made to follow the sacred timeline, a single braided rope of hundreds of timelines happening the same way, for all time, forever.

Variants happen when one of the strands of this braided sacred timeline attempts to fray off, when they go in they fix the fray. The timelines that go wonky in Endgame get pruned/fixed to return to the sacred order, but the Avengers themselves don't vary from their pre-ordained lives so they don't get touched.

Time Travel doesn't create variance, things that will create separate timelines do, but only people native to those timelines are variants if the changes are created by someone acting upon their non-variant lives. So yes it is incredibly arbitrary and bullshit that Loki is punished and the Avengers are fine, that's intentional.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The specific reason for hiding in apocalypses is that some of them basically have event horizons-- once the disaster is imminent, events in the vicinity no longer have the potential to affect the rest of the universe. Causal chain reactions can't travel past the event's radius quickly enough to matter.

But only SOME apocalypses are like this, which is why Loki and Mobius were picky when they were going over the files. It's not that the Snap wasn't catastrophic, but you couldn't hide there because it didn't have an event horizon to hide within-- causality kept on trucking among the survivors (and also it didn't happen while Kablooie gum existed).

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

This feels like it's getting into Time Ships level of "multiverse of multiverses" frac.. fracticality? Fractalness?

Bloody time travel!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
You see, people assume time is a strict progression of cause to effect, But actually, from a non-linear non-subjective viewpoint...

SomeKindofVerb
Jan 12, 2010
I just had an idea that the TVA could have trapped itself in loop of needing a Loki to hunt down the previous Loki they brought in to catch a previous Loki. Like, Lady Loki was brought in to capture some third Loki, who filled her head with knowledge about the TVA they had acquired, so that she can now do the same for our Loki? And it's been that way for quite some...time. Just Lokis all the way down.

I haven't rewatched the episodes yet so this might be easily dismissed by something I'm forgetting...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

You see, people assume time is a strict progression of cause to effect, But actually, from a non-linear non-subjective viewpoint...

The moment they said "you can only investigate crisis nodes in real-time" I knew this wasn't one of those stories where all of the events and causality loops have been intricately worked out in the writer's room for a big reveal and you just need to go along for the ride (I mean I knew that anyway, that just confirmed we aren't getting a Nolan-style ending where every little thing comes together).

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

What the TVA presupposes is... maybe it's not.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

It's more wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey...stuff.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ngl watching Lady Loki futz around in NPCs and then get a reveal made me realize just what a creative gamble it's going to be to have other characters try to do what Hiddleston does. For real, he owns Loki like few actors own their characters, and whether the other actors do a mimicry of his schtick or their own thing it's going to take time to grow on the audience if it ever does, especially when the original is right there to compare to.

I don't think they have a choice in terms of trying it, but still respect that they're doing it. It would be way, way safer for their brand to just keep the character in a box. Even if they gently caress it up I still respect their acknowledgment that they have to take the chance, much like with Sam Cap who looks lamer and lamer by the second but whose very existence earns a lot of goodwill and investment.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Organic Lube User posted:

It's more wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey...stuff.

Loki vs weeping angels would be good

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Ngl watching Lady Loki futz around in NPCs and then get a reveal made me realize just what a creative gamble it's going to be to have other characters try to do what Hiddleston does. For real, he owns Loki like few actors own their characters, and whether the other actors do a mimicry of his schtick or their own thing it's going to take time to grow on the audience if it ever does, especially when the original is right there to compare to.

I don't think they have a choice in terms of trying it, but still respect that they're doing it. It would be way, way safer for their brand to just keep the character in a box. Even if they gently caress it up I still respect their acknowledgment that they have to take the chance, much like with Sam Cap who looks lamer and lamer by the second but whose very existence earns a lot of goodwill and investment.

Hiddleston seems to genuinely love playing Loki, which isn't the case with a lot of the actors. Evans and Hemsworth before Waititi in particular seemed like they couldn't wait to get out.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Alchenar posted:

The moment they said "you can only investigate crisis nodes in real-time" I knew this wasn't one of those stories where all of the events and causality loops have been intricately worked out in the writer's room for a big reveal and you just need to go along for the ride (I mean I knew that anyway, that just confirmed we aren't getting a Nolan-style ending where every little thing comes together).

According to Michael Waldron, the walls of the writers' room were covered in timeline diagrams, so they did put thought into them.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
That's a pointless endeavor since rear end in a top hat fun vacuum nerds will just pick it apart anyway.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gonz posted:

The TVA and all the soul crushing bureaucracy within is just Marvel’s take on the Vogon Empire.

lol that zig zag line where the other other variant got zapped is a straight up homage to the recentish film.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Shageletic posted:

lol that zig zag line where the other other variant got zapped is a straight up homage to the recentish film.

That's just any sort of queue barrier system in general?

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Desperado Bones posted:

Tom Hiddleston doing the splits on a kitchen counter top when?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdBz60-z8NQ

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

G-III posted:

Tom Hiddleston doing the splits on a kitchen counter top when?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdBz60-z8NQ

Probably not ever unless stunt people/editing are involved.

Personally I'd like to see Tom as Loki doing this bit.

Because according to IMBD it's his favorite song.

Also, I'm mildly sad about them actually visiting Alabama without Tom H singing this.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 18, 2021

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's a little crazy that Loki and the Scarlet Witch did a big music biopic and no one ever talks about it. It must be terrible.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The time travel in this feels very Dr Who like, in the sense that you shouldn't think too hard about it and the rules change based on what the plot needs.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

live with fruit posted:

Hiddleston seems to genuinely love playing Loki, which isn't the case with a lot of the actors. Evans and Hemsworth before Waititi in particular seemed like they couldn't wait to get out.
No poo poo. Loki gets to be a perpetual underdog who gets all the fun of being a villain and all the framing of being a misunderstood hero. He gets the best of all worlds. What actor wouldn't dig on that? It's the same way that while RDJ blessedly never once phoned it in as Tony Stark, it was also very clearly a job that allowed him to be the laid-back cool dude who just had to be a variant on RDJ in order to hit the bare minimum and get everyone to love him.

Evans and Hemsworth had really thankless roles as the straight men holding things up while other characters got to do more fun stuff. Thankfully after Whedon and Perlmutter got pushed out they started to let Evans have a little fun and while I would genuinely be happy if Waititi never touched the film industry again, he brings out Hemsworth's best.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

mind the walrus posted:

I would genuinely be happy if Waititi never touched the film industry again

Why is this?

I thought Waititi 's Ragnarok was by far the best Thor movie and eminently enjoyable.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Look at this fool who doesn't like Hunt for the Wilderpeople

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

mind the walrus posted:

I would genuinely be happy if Waititi never touched the film industry again

Can you explain yourself, young man?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Why is this?

I thought Waititi 's Ragnarok was by far the best Thor movie and eminently enjoyable.

They think that Waititi’s sense of humor is “vile” lmao

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I thought it had something to do with him banging actors or something

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

TK-42-1 posted:

I thought it had something to do with him banging actors or something

Please don't start this derail again.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Firebert posted:

lol I had forgotten about that. lmao "vile" hahaha

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Firebert posted:

Definitely want to hear about this!

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Pull up, thread

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
DIVE! DIVE! DIVE! HIT YOUR BURNERS, PILOT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Desperado Bones posted:

It was worth the time.