Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If the extenders push your foot too far the other way the only remaining options are to ride flats or get some +4mm axle Shimano pedals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

kimbo305 posted:

Not sure if I've grasped what "bent flat" means. I don't think that when people say they're on tiptoe that they're actually doing en pointe like ballet. Well maybe they are if they have carbon soles. But sure, some frames place the bottom bracket / crank spindle closer to the ground and make it easier to make contact from the saddle.

I agree to give it a try with flat shoes, but with the qualification that aj was trying clipless to alleviate some hot spotting when riding in sneakers that might have been shoe related but very possibly fit related.

My poor writing lets me down many a time so pictures of me sat on a Dutch bike ;

(This fit does have my thigh at the correct angle)

Inside leg 33”

Seat height 36ish

Toes with questionable yes I ride in sandals tan lines.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

can you return your shoes that dont fit and get some ones that do? and before you cut your axles down (lmao dont hacksaw your axles) try adjusting cleat position so they clear on your new shoes that fit right.

No. I replaced the tongue with a padded leather tongue. I don't know which shoes could fit better. Bont sells double wide sizes only in their more expensive models, I don't want to buy them. Also only my right foot needs width adjustment.

If I buy longer shoes the cleats go too much forward. I'd have to buy cleat adapters which allow to move the cleat futher towards heel, and put them between cleat and shoe. I don't know if those are actually available or do I have to design and CNC them myself.

Heat molding the soles seems easier than wasting more money on a product you can adjust by yourself: https://bontcycling.com/items/support/heat-molding.html

They say to do it on oven but I don't see why a heatgun with similar heat settings won't do the trick, but faster and only in the problem spots.

Why not hacksaw the axles? I've shortened wheel axles with hacksaw because they don't seem to sell axles for 126mm dropouts anymore.

Cutting 2mm from the axle can't be that bad. Most likely the chinesium pedal extender will be the weak spot even after that.

Vando posted:

If the extenders push your foot too far the other way the only remaining options are to ride flats or get some +4mm axle Shimano pedals.

I have Dura-Ace FC-7410 narrow q-factor cranks. 4mm is not that much... And I don't want to buy new anything anymore, I've used more than enough money as it is. The extenders are fine, but they don't have room inside for the whole clipless pedal axle's threaded part. Some pedals fit fine but these specific Look pedals have a little bit longer axle threads for whatever reason.

What is the worst that can happen? When pushing uphill the pedal or pedal axle extender breaks and I die?

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 18, 2021

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Here is an illustration of the bont riot+ sole. It is made from plastic and it's cup-shaped like this:

The edges of the cups pressure these spots marked in red in my feet:

So If I just apply the required amount of heat and force the sole outward with a blunt end of screwdriver or something, in those 3 spots marked in red, it should be fine in theory.

Another suggestion was to put firm foam inside the socks and wear it all, and jam my feet inside, after baking the shoes in an oven. That way the foam pressures the edges of the sole cups outward.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 18, 2021

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I guess the worst that happens is you trash the pedal, with a small chance of that causing a crash but if the issue is the pedal doesn't fit in the extender the risk is higher not cutting them because you'll have the same amount of material in the extender with less force exerted anyway.

e: also don't do the heat gun thing, heat them in an oven like they're designed to do then put your feet in them to let the mould take. Trying to manually mould them with a screwdriver (?!) will never work properly.

Vando fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 18, 2021

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I really wish I had foot shaped like the shoes sold in shops. I also wish my feet weren't as big as they are. Nearly all the bicycling-related items are designed to some spec and when I don't fit the intended spec, it sucks and ends up like this.. me tinkering this and that.

Another option could be to find suitable washers instead of sawing. The extenders came with 2 washers but they're thick enough only for one side. I'd have to find more for the other side.

Vando posted:

e: also don't do the heat gun thing, heat them in an oven like they're designed to do then put your feet in them to let the mould take. Trying to manually mould them with a screwdriver (?!) will never work properly.

From the bont webpage they suggested using a screwdriver if neccessary:

"If you have any lumps or bunions on your feet or if there are any areas causing discomfort, while the shoe is hot you can use the round end of a screwdriver to press out any part of the boot. You can heat mold the shoes as many times as you like."

So it was not my own idea. Heat gun would be so much faster. Even heating food in an oven takes forever because the temp will rise so slowly in the material. Heat gun applies the heat directly to the spot. Well I guess I can try the oven first...

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 18, 2021

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

actionjackson posted:

Obviously 32" won't work for me - while seated my feet would be like 2" off the ground. I'm sure there are people that can ride like this, but not me.
You're absolutely not supposed to ride like this. Have you practiced clipless standing starts?

TobinHatesYou posted:

You're not supposed to be able to touch the ground with flat feet while sitting on a bike, at least not unless you want a fit for beach cruising.

When you come to a stop, unclip one foot and lean your bike over slightly, keep your other foot clipped in while standing on the free foot. You should be out of the saddle by now and "standing" over the top tube. When you start moving again, push down on the clipped in pedal/foot. You never need to have both feet flat on the ground or even tippy toes.

bicievino posted:

If putting both your feet on the ground while seated is a requirement for you, you're gonna have to get a loving dropper post or buy a cruiser bike or something.
This

Ihmemies posted:

"If you have any lumps or bunions on your feet or if there are any areas causing discomfort, while the shoe is hot you can use the round end of a screwdriver to press out any part of the boot. You can heat mold the shoes as many times as you like."

So it was not my own idea. Heat gun would be so much faster. Even heating food in an oven takes forever because the temp will rise so slowly in the material. Heat gun applies the heat directly to the spot. Well I guess I can try the oven first...
Heatgun may also quickly ruin any glued joints

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jun 18, 2021

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well the glued joints makes sense. I'll try oven. Another thing would be sauna. Normally they are heated to 80C but I could heat it only to 70C. Go to sauna with the shoes on, let them mold to my feet. Go to lake for a swim and the shoes set to their shape...

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

MetaJew posted:

What are my options for an 700c, 80mm valve stem inner tube? The few online bike shops I've checked have been completely sold out, and Amazon only seems to have Continental tubes-- which I've bought in the passed, but I'm always paranoid I'm going to get counterfeit parts or something.

My advice would be to just buy valve extenders, the proper kind which fit valve cores.

And yeah, don’t buy stuff like bulk Conti tubes or even SPD-SL cleats from Amazon…lots of counterfeit product in their fulfillment centers.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
actionjackson, it goes against the spirit of the thread but: Please be less excited about bikes. You're running around like a cocker spaniel trying to change things all the time, when sometimes being a bit more sedate will get you there quicker overall. Buy once, cry once etc.

MetaJew posted:

What are my options for an 700c, 80mm valve stem inner tube? The few online bike shops I've checked have been completely sold out, and Amazon only seems to have Continental tubes-- which I've bought in the passed, but I'm always paranoid I'm going to get counterfeit parts or something.

Valve extenders as mentioned above, but remember to carry a valve core tool with you (ideally in a little baggie so it doesn't get lost so easily)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I said it yesterday and I will say it again.

Please take a rest until you see your PT and stop trying new positions and new seat heights and new exercises and new everything.

Every time you post there's a new facet to the challenges you've got so we cannot advise you properly or to be quite frank at all.

I legitimately have no idea what to say on the feet touching the ground issue you've got or why its such an important thing for you to be able to do on a road bike.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I worry that this “knowledgeable” friend is a bit gatekeepy and aj is buying what he’s told to buy (wild guess, the friend wants a cycling buddy) rather than going into a store and checking things out first - all of this could have been avoided if any vaguely competent salesman had told him he needed a different style of bike if he wants his feet on the ground.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
let's not read into it too much

I do agree to see the PT prior to doing anything else that could impact the injury negatively though!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Lex Neville posted:

I do agree to see the PT prior to doing anything else that could impact the injury negatively though!
Even the PT gave the goahead to try out the new fit, though, so tht's at least one ride he gets to do to suss things otu.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
oh oops, I missed that the pt appointment had already taken place! my bad

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

resident posted:

I’m ready to drop a watt bomb.

I feel like this got buried so I just want to say I love this so much.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Lhmemies, Bont's video guides recommend against using a heat gun because they can get too hot in a localized area.
If you're confident you know where you want to move it, go for it.
But I'll mention that as someone with very wide feet, specifically the Riot+ shoes did NOT work for me, and I wasn't able to get them to even with extensive heat molding and other fuckery.

Some of Bont's other shoes (the laceup road shoes) do work for my feet, and Sidi Megas have a wider last than Bont's Wide, so if you totally hit a dead end, consider those.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Unless you're counting grams or horrified at "mountain bike" equipment on a road bike, the solution to all of these pedal and shoe problems is two sided pedals like PD-EH500 and/or some nice comfy SPD shoes like the SH-MT501.

Want to ride the flat side of the pedal? Go ahead. Want to clip in? Go ahead.

If you only have SPD pedals without the flat side, those shoes come with a plastic piece that swaps out the metal clip, and grips the pedal without clipping in.

And you can get off your bike and walk somewhat normally without scratching up the floor or wearing down your metal clips.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Unless you're counting grams or horrified at "mountain bike" equipment on a road bike, the solution to all of these pedal and shoe problems is two sided pedals like PD-EH500 and/or some nice comfy SPD shoes like the SH-MT501.

Want to ride the flat side of the pedal? Go ahead. Want to clip in? Go ahead.

If you only have SPD pedals without the flat side, those shoes come with a plastic piece that swaps out the metal clip, and grips the pedal without clipping in.

And you can get off your bike and walk somewhat normally without scratching up the floor or wearing down your metal clips.

The Riot+ comes in road and mtb models so I’m not sure how Lhmemies’ issue with his foot not working with that shoe is going to be solved by buying hybrid pedals or an entry level Shimano shoe.

Also lol at appreciably wearing down SPD cleats by walking in them

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Talking about comfort and convenience. Also lmao at "entry level" the cyclist's greatest insult.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

The Shimano shoes are narrow as gently caress so I don't know why you'd recommend them to someone who needs double-wide Bont's.
Even the "wide" shimanos use the same last as the narrow, it's just more upper volume.
If it doesn't fit, it's not a good deal, even if it's affordable.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have a friend who used to work at a cycle hire place on a family focused trail, and she said the happiest cyclists in the world were the super serious road bikers who always hired the rickshaws or tandems depending on the age of the kids.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

We rode our tandem all of 1.5 miles last night after getting silly on bubbles to get icecream.
can confirm it was fun as heck.
It's summer, y'all!

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
tandems are secretly the best bikes.

Lhmemies do the oven thing first before the heat gun and you can add foam inside your sock, and remember its a little counter intuitive where the tighter you strap them hot the looser they will be after moulding.

also side point but if upper volume is different between shoes its usually a different last even if they're the same width, the upper has to be tight on the last during assembly so you cant just add material and have a loose fit and expect it to work.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
On my commute yesterday a guy came past me on an old road bike. With each pedal stroke it was like he was drifting, i.e. front and rear wheels misaligned, looked pretty unstable.

He was overtaking pretty carefully so not sure if he just thought he was unstable generally or realised his bike was hosed. What was the actual problem with his bike though, loose rear hub/wheel in the dropouts?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

tandems are secretly the best bikes.

Lhmemies do the oven thing first before the heat gun and you can add foam inside your sock, and remember its a little counter intuitive where the tighter you strap them hot the looser they will be after moulding.

also side point but if upper volume is different between shoes its usually a different last even if they're the same width, the upper has to be tight on the last during assembly so you cant just add material and have a loose fit and expect it to work.

Oh, yes, you're spot on.
What I mean is that the sole size is the same between lasts with no increase in width for the "wide" size.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Any one of you with rim brakes ever use a clay bar to clean the brake surface on your wheels? I just did and holy poo poo the difference it makes even after thoroughly cleaning the wheel and brake surface with a soapy sponge is staggering

fake edit: I mean the visual difference / amount of grime that comes off still. Haven't ridden yet

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Lex Neville posted:

Any one of you with rim brakes ever use a clay bar to clean the brake surface on your wheels? I just did and holy poo poo the difference it makes even after thoroughly cleaning the wheel and brake surface with a soapy sponge is staggering

fake edit: I mean the visual difference / amount of grime that comes off still. Haven't ridden yet

I don’t use a clay bar but use a more abrasive bar (Sandflex Sanding Blocks) since those are similar to things like the Magic Rim Stone. Helps a ton and makes braking so smooth (and pretty!)

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

I need new gloves. I want full fingers. Are handups the best choice? I've got a pair of PI that fit pretty well, but I feel like they wore out real fast...

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
what kind of weather? i have a pair of insulated gripgrab gloves for winter riding i am absolutely in love with

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Is it normal for my shoe to be able to hit the front tire if i turn the handlebar enough to line up the front tire with where my shoe cross during a down pedal? I've already had two bad starts from redlights because my shoe got stopped by the front tire.

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Did a 50km ride home from work today. Saw this handsome fella:

https://i.imgur.com/xwyLF9k.mp4

First ride with new aliexpress carbon wheels. Also have got an aliexpress crankset, seat tube and seat to push down the weight to 8kg. My bike is exhibiting proper Xi Jinping thought.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

poemdexter posted:

Is it normal for my shoe to be able to hit the front tire if i turn the handlebar enough to line up the front tire with where my shoe cross during a down pedal? I've already had two bad starts from redlights because my shoe got stopped by the front tire.

Depending on your frame and shoe size its quite common. Learn to coast and start with the wheel straight.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

bicievino posted:

Even the "wide" shimanos use the same last as the narrow, it's just more upper volume.

If you're hunting for wide cycling shoes, this is definitely a deal breaker. Just trying to cut costs to produce an inferior product.

MacPac posted:

My bike is exhibiting proper Xi Jinping thought.

Rebadge to Chomolungma for max Chinese colonialism.
Do update if anything fails unreasonably.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

MalleusDei posted:

I need new gloves. I want full fingers. Are handups the best choice? I've got a pair of PI that fit pretty well, but I feel like they wore out real fast...

Fox Gloves are the best I've ever worn, but pretty much only use them for MTB unless I feel like there's added risk of falling due to road conditions or drinks consumed. They have various levels of breathability with Rangers being quite light, and something like the DirtPaw being pretty heavy.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

serious gaylord posted:

Depending on your frame and shoe size its quite common. Learn to coast and start with the wheel straight.

Okie dokie. Just making sure. I'm a lot more cognizant of it now.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

Even the PT gave the goahead to try out the new fit, though, so tht's at least one ride he gets to do to suss things otu.

It’s unfortunate he chose Bob’s Family Bike Shop over the place literally called Fix Your Bad Fit Studio when he was suffering from knee pain and needed a professional fitting. All to save some bux.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

It’s unfortunate he chose Bob’s Family Bike Shop over the place literally called Fix Your Bad Fit Studio when he was suffering from knee pain and needed a professional fitting. All to save some bux.

the expensive place was recommended by the person you told me to not listen to and sever my relationship with

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

actionjackson posted:

the expensive place was recommended by the person you told me to not listen to and sever my relationship with

So do you believe you made the right choice? A modicum of common sense would do well here. Both e.pilot and bicievino indicated that you should get a proper PT fit and you did the literal opposite and dug a proverbial hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MetaJew posted:

40mm valve extenders and whatever 42mm stem tubes with a removable core. Added bonus if you need to you can pick up tubes just about anywhere as long as the core is removable, which are a lot more common than 80mm stem tubes.