Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Saying Juneteenth is divisive is basically the same as saying V-E day is divisive (which makes sense, since I bet a lot of people against recognizing Juneteenth have at best mixed feelings on V-E day).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Yeah yeah we get it you joined a gym

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Maybe we need more emotional strength

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Schubalts posted:

There were skeptics, same as nowadays. Only they claimed things like the cowpox vaccine would mutate you into a cowperson, which is way cooler than 5g.

here's a clearer version

Zetsubou-san has a new favorite as of 05:27 on Jun 18, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ratjaculation posted:

Yeah yeah we get it you joined a gym

I wanna know what picture they were referring to. The "ignore who they are, they look formidable" makes me think it's like swole Kumhail Nanjiani or something.

Or opposite direction, that old embarrassing beach photo of David Cameron on vacation.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Oh cool, thanks for the link!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Skwirl posted:

I wanna know what picture they were referring to. The "ignore who they are, they look formidable" makes me think it's like swole Kumhail Nanjiani or something.

Or opposite direction, that old embarrassing beach photo of David Cameron on vacation.

Maybe those burly boys from the world's strongest man competitions. They don't look like body builders or Hollywood heartthrobs, but they can carry small boulders and throw logs and poo poo.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Zetsubou-san posted:

here's a clearer version

Deviantart, 1802

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Think roid rage

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Maybe those burly boys from the world's strongest man competitions. They don't look like body builders or Hollywood heartthrobs, but they can carry small boulders and throw logs and poo poo.

Yeah, but they specifically said "ignore who they are" so it's someone famous

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Is a premier Inn restaurant a pub? Because if so I'm in my first one in uhh 16 months

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/LizardRumsfeld/status/1405775715585302532

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Ratjaculation posted:

Is a premier Inn restaurant a pub? Because if so I'm in my first one in uhh 16 months

No. Go to a proper pub.

I'm not including Spoons as a proper pub either. :colbert:

Edit - content

https://twitter.com/JesseKellyDC/status/1405277550545313792?s=19

sugar mouse has a new favorite as of 09:09 on Jun 18, 2021

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Yeah this would be pretty funny delivered deadpan. "How did we survive as a species?" would be the kind of line Stewart Lee might pull off as a deadpan deconstruction of Gammon-think on Covid, which makes me suspect Hurst is being just a little bit ironic there.

But the rest of his feed? Pure brain-worms. Sucks that that genially sometimes-sorta-funnyish guy who was all over daytime TV 20 years ago went off the rails like that.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Simiain posted:

Yeah this would be pretty funny delivered deadpan. "How did we survive as a species?" would be the kind of line Stewart Lee might pull off as a deadpan deconstruction of Gammon-think on Covid, which makes me suspect Hurst is being just a little bit ironic there.

But the rest of his feed? Pure brain-worms. Sucks that that genially sometimes-sorta-funnyish guy who was all over daytime TV 20 years ago went off the rails like that.

loving beaker people, coming over here...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I only know him as the guy who tweets about how vaccines are nazism.

Like actually wanting to have a vaccine for a disease is literally surrendering to the nazis.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Boomer parables are incredible.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Thinky Whale posted:

Boomer parables are incredible.

the donkey is the george floyd video isn't it?

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Is this the thread where an idiot in a screengrab claimed that the death penalty is volountary?

Because, ironically Rouseau in his Social Contract wrestled with the completely opposite dilemma, i.e. if human beings are forbidden to kill or to take their own lives how can they institute a death penalty. I think his argument is that society implements the death penalty purely as a defensive measure and if any of the citizens fall on the wrong side of the measure they have imposed it's a consequence of their own wrong action and not a consenting to kill or be killed. Or something like that! It's been a while since I read any Rousseau.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The Black Death was endemic in europe for almost 400 years. And I don't mean just part of the background, part of everyday mortality along with all the other causes of death. Literally 'Killed a million' people in country x, killed half the population of city y, type outbreaks as well. Frequently.

From a historian of the Early Modern.

quote:

I have never read a full set of Renaissance letters which didn’t mention plague outbreaks and plague deaths, and Renaissance letters from mothers to their traveling sons regularly include, along with advice on etiquette and eating enough fennel, a list of which towns to avoid this season because there’s plague there. Carlo Cipolla (in the fascinating yet tediously titled Before the Industrial Revolution) collected great data for the two centuries after 1348, in which Venice had major plague bursts 7% of years, Florence 14% of years, Paris 9% of years, Barcelona 13% of years, and England (usually London) 22% in the earlier period spiking to 50% in the later 1500s, when England saw plague in 26 out of 50 years between 1543 and 1593. Excluding tiny villages with little traffic, losing a friend or sibling to plague was a universal experience from 1348 clear to the 1720s, when plague finally diminished in Europe.

Deptfordx has a new favorite as of 14:31 on Jun 18, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s a hypothesis that the plague caused natural selection for extremely aggressive immune response and that that’s why people of European descent have higher rates of autoimmune diseases.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There's a new He-Man series coming out on Netflix and nerds are predictably buttmad because apparently they made Teela too 'butch' and there's a whole lot of people going on about how it's actually sexist to imply a woman can't be a hyperfeminine badass. These are the same crowd that predictably had very strong opinions about the She-Ra cartoon that came out a few years back.
https://youtu.be/8byZ4vbjo_w

I liked the He-Man reboot that had come out in the early 2000s and from the previews the upcoming one looks interesting enough to me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I wonder why all these media companies whose literal job is to identify and chase emerging social trends keep moving in the direction of inclusiveness and norm-breaking and subversion of stereotypes, and not a single one sees a profitable avenue in making traditionalist throwback media, oh well it must all just be pink-haired screeching psychos in the boardroom, go woke go broke

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The weird thing is that if you look at the picture of Teela, she isn't this hypermasculine gorilla they try to make her out to be. She's got muscular arms and an undercut and boobs that aren't spherical beach balls but apparently that is just too much for them. In contrast to HeMan she's still very feminine regardless. There's a black woman standing next to her in one of the images and they were flipping out that it was going to be her girlfriend /wife/whatever because she obviously wasn't one of the masters of the universe. It's such a hilarious over reaction and the second this YouTube He Man nerd started going off on She Ra's recent cartoon I knew where it was headed.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The best/worst part of the She-Ra "controversy" was that none of the complainers admitted to being fans of the original show, because confessing that they liked a cartoon for girls would've destroyed their masculine image or whatever. So they weren't even playing the "true fans" card like they usually do - their culture war grifter bullshit was even more obvious than it usually is.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Panfilo posted:

There's a new He-Man series coming out on Netflix and nerds are predictably buttmad because apparently they made Teela too 'butch' and there's a whole lot of people going on about how it's actually sexist to imply a woman can't be a hyperfeminine badass. These are the same crowd that predictably had very strong opinions about the She-Ra cartoon that came out a few years back.

I liked the He-Man reboot that had come out in the early 2000s and from the previews the upcoming one looks interesting enough to me.

quote:

Kevin Smith's Masters of the Universe: Revelation looks and sounds exactly to be the show we heard it was -- that He-Man would get sidelined in favor of Teela ("and her girlfriend") taking over as the leads.

Well hell, between that and the awesome buff female character designs, I'm suddenly interested.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Panfilo posted:

The second I saw the trailer last week I just knew they'd be up in arms about something

EL BROMANCE posted:

I like how it essentially looks like the MOTU we remember in our heads through rose tinted glasses, kids should love it.

Can’t wait to find out what minor change they’ve made thatll set the loonies off on ‘mah childhood’ rants.

A bet so easily won the bookies would've told me to gently caress off.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Panfilo posted:

The weird thing is that if you look at the picture of Teela, she isn't this hypermasculine gorilla they try to make her out to be. She's got muscular arms and an undercut and boobs that aren't spherical beach balls but apparently that is just too much for them. In contrast to HeMan she's still very feminine regardless. There's a black woman standing next to her in one of the images and they were flipping out that it was going to be her girlfriend /wife/whatever because she obviously wasn't one of the masters of the universe. It's such a hilarious over reaction and the second this YouTube He Man nerd started going off on She Ra's recent cartoon I knew where it was headed.

any comments from nerds on Orco's bedroom eyes?

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

That's what they consider "too masculine"?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The MOTU:R trailer is set to Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out For A Hero."

Based

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Scratch Monkey posted:

any comments from nerds on Orco's bedroom eyes?

All of these characters are hot

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Noooooooooooo.

What have they done to Orco's appearance?!?

What am i supposed to furiously masturbate to now he looks like that?

This is political correctness gone mad. :argh:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Bismuth posted:

All of these characters are hot

The robot guy is blushing under his helmet visor

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Scratch Monkey posted:

The robot guy is blushing under his helmet visor

He better, im gonna get all up in that sick poncho

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Orko with his guns out is extremely funny

Who's the poncho robot guy supposed to be, it's been a very long time since I've thought about Masters of the Universe

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Veib posted:

Orko with his guns out is extremely funny

Who's the poncho robot guy supposed to be, it's been a very long time since I've thought about Masters of the Universe

Roboto!

I had so many motu toys as a kid.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Holy hell, I didn't really watch MOTU or even know the character's name and even I had this one.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Those are really good designs, I like it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm assuming she's "too masculine" because she (a warrior) has visible arm muscles, short hair, and a chest plate that doesn't have separate boob chambers.

Oh also she appears to be wearing pants now instead of a just a leotard that exposed her entire legs. Pants are for men! You don't see the men in this series sporting clothes that expose their legs like that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Panfilo posted:

gently caress, I accidentally clicked that link, so now I have to watch a bunch of super leftist poo poo so my you tube recommendations don't get completely hosed.