Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is this a new one or is this the one that definitely didn't go suspiciously quiet from frontline politics a while ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

TheRat posted:

I liked Bob Crow.

he was great and we need more people who'll rip on journalists trying to berate them for being good at their jobs.

I've got no idea (but many doubts) about whether any Unite candidate would be capable of matching him, but I'd have been delighted with someone just being loudly smug about whatever objectively good things they can accomplish. It's important that everyone hears that they deserve better things in life.

are we compiling these somewhere

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/tom_usher_/status/1405823829088387073?s=19

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Spangly A posted:

he was great and we need more people who'll rip on journalists trying to berate them for being good at their jobs.

I've got no idea (but many doubts) about whether any Unite candidate would be capable of matching him, but I'd have been delighted with someone just being loudly smug about whatever objectively good things they can accomplish. It's important that everyone hears that they deserve better things in life.

It would be nice to just have a union leader who was a proper union leader again. Someone who tells the suits and centrists to gently caress off.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

byelection when

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Letter from Muslim organisations in Batley & Spen to Starmer:

(FOA = Friends of Al Aqsa)

https://www.foa.org.uk/20210616-press-release-batley-and-spen-open-letter-to-keir-starmer

quote:

Press Release: Batley and Spen open letter to Keir Starmer
June 16, 2021 / FOA Staff

Dear Sir Keir Starmer MP,

For over 40 years Muslim communities throughout the United Kingdom have supported the Labour Party loyally. In Batley and Spen particularly, through different leaders, times and political climates, our community has been amongst the most steadfast Labour voters anywhere in the country.

We are writing to you today as representatives from different Mosques and Muslim organisations across Batley and Spen because after decades of supporting this party, knocking on doors, organising voter turnout drives and so much more, we are now in serious doubt over whether we can continue with our support.

Unfortunately, it seems that while we have been proud to support the Labour Party, for a long time the Labour Party has not been proud of our support. Put simply, our votes and voices have been taken for granted.

The issues facing Muslims in our constituency are vast and deep rooted. Some are consistent with those you may see in areas similar to ours; a lack of housing, school resources being cut, closing GPs and hospitals etc. Others are specific to our community and our area. This includes concerns regarding the rising tide of Islamophobia, the racism inherent in the Prevent duty as well as ongoing international crises in Palestine, Kashmir, Xinjiang and beyond.

If we are to continue supporting and fighting for the Labour Party, our expectation is for Labour to be on our side. In particular, to speak and campaign on the following issues:

[1]Islamophobia

Since 2016, the rising tide of Islamophobia has been of great concern to every single Muslim in the UK. From a 500% rise in violent and non-violent attacks since the Brexit referendum, to the release of the Labour Muslim Network report in 2020; the issue of overt and structural Islamophobia is of highest pertinence to our communities. We need to see more than lip service on this issue. We need real leadership and a commitment to taking the necessary steps to resolve the issue of Islamophobia within the Party. We need to see a direct pledge communicated by yourself and the Shadow Cabinet on this matter. We also need firm commitments and proposed actions on tackling Islamophobia across society as a whole.

[2]Palestine

The ongoing occupation, violence and oppression taking place in Palestine is an issue almost inseparable from the hearts of thousands in Batley and Spen, including its Muslim constituents.

The Labour Party has to go beyond the usual political rhetoric and show a commitment to real policy change. Again, this cannot just take the forms of motions passed and lip service paid to the issue. As Leader of the Opposition, yourself and your ministers in the Shadow Cabinet, must make clear statements on your position. This includes the recognition of Palestine as a state, support for a full arms embargo against Israel in addition to support for BDS as an ethical form of resistance.

We would like to hear an unequivocal commitment to these issue before the election. It is unfortunate that you did not make time to hear the views of ordinary Labour voters during your recent visit to Batley & Spen. Under the circumstances, can you please clarify whether you will make a public statement; or whether you prefer a more personal forum – in which case we are ready to meet you.

It is as painful for us to say, as we hope it is for you to hear, that this long-established relationship between our community and the Labour Party – which we have given so much to – is in this difficult position.

Our reaching out is with the singular intention of repairing this relationship. With all due respect, we cannot stress enough, the urgency of the Labour leadership to take the above seriously. You will already be aware of defections by many previously prominent Labour campaigners and activists, and even former councillors in the Batley & Spen area. They cite the above reasons as their main cause of dissatisfaction with Labour.

You will already be aware that this is not just a local issue confined to Batley & Spen. The recent poll conducted by the Labour Muslim Network, has shown that the Labour Party are losing the support of Muslim communities nationally.

A significant number of prominent Imams / individuals, Mosques and Community organisations are eager to receive a progress update to this particular letter, and are watching the situation closely.

If the needs and issues close to our hearts are not addressed – it is inevitable that local congregations, members and communities will conclude that the Labour Party no longer have our best interests at heart. This scenario is likely to impact on other constituencies in the UK; where significant sections of the electorate share the same concerns on these issues.

We hope this can be avoided, and that the Labour leadership respond positively to the above.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

*Ansaar Organisation

*Madressa Mahmoodia

*Batley & Dewsbury Friends of Al Aqsa

*Hilal Islamic Centre & Masjid / Bosnian Cultural Centre

*Al Hashim Academy

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

by-elections for the by-election god

can't wait for Labour to poo poo the bed in this one too

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/gilescoren/status/1405905202843164672?s=20

Giles Coren being owned & pulling out the Megan McCain failchild playbook is funny

Quoting myself because I hadn't realised the page had moved on when I made this edit to my last post but it's a tremendous speech on poverty during the Great Depression.

Also this comment from Richard Wallhead, ILP MP for Merthyr, "Let it be remembered that that declaration by Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman, and the fact that it could not be disproved, was the death-knell of Free Trade. It killed Free Trade, and it meant the rise of the Labour party. It meant the rise of the working-class party, and what we have to be careful of now is that that rise of the working-class party does not become so enmeshed in the idea of saving the situation for the capitalist section of society, that they will adopt the worn-out shibboleths of the party that preceded them" has plenty relevance for today's Labour Party.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 18, 2021

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

It is sad that the inevitable main take-away within tory-voting circles, from someone named Imran Ahmad Khan getting done for noncing, will be "muslin pedos!!! send them all back *votes Tory*"

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Dominic Cummings is a horrible human being but I would be lying if I said that I was not enjoying his rebirth as a poster.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/dmmecritters/status/1405835496752877571

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Honestly I would probably struggle to tell they do look quite a lot alike.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1405925947711295489

this seems questionable

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Guavanaut posted:

My big worry with those is that they work less well the colder that it is outside, to the point where (with the current UK National Grid) you're burning more gas than you would with a condensing boiler to get low grade background heat.

Which isn't to say I'm against them, it seems they'd work great for most of spring and autumn, it's just that you might want something on top for a few weeks in the midwinter.

Also British housing insulation is bad. You really want solid insulation if you're going for phase-change compressor heating/cooling. I'm sure the free market will sort that one out though.

The insulation and construction will be an issue, but if that is sorted a heat pump should be fine.

Mine claims 2.7x coefficient of power at -7°C so generation and transmission would need to be pretty bad for a gas boiler to be more efficient. It has an immersion heater in case it gets too cold for the heat pump, and the hours it's on for get recorded, still at zero despite getting down to -15ish a few times. So a UK winter should be no problem.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

lmao

I wonder if the forensic prosecutor will have something to say about people who might be prosecuted changing the law to avoid prosecution.

knox_harrington posted:

Mine claims 2.7x coefficient of power at -7°C so generation and transmission would need to be pretty bad for a gas boiler to be more efficient. It has an immersion heater in case it gets too cold for the heat pump, and the hours it's on for get recorded, still at zero despite getting down to -15ish a few times. So a UK winter should be no problem.
Yeah you'd need the type of weather where wind and solar are producing little for it to be that reliant on gas, but that's often when you need heating most, even if it's just for a couple of days. My other issue is that they keep loving about with the prices so that it never quite costs in even as the COP gets better on newer units.

Build more nuclear and renewables and use smart metering to give everyone a monthly electricity allowance as a universal basic service if you want everyone off gas as fast as possible imo.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1405943132391448580?s=19

hosed it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Perfect time to release all the dirty poo poo, most people are distracted by the football.
Speaking of which, seems the UK has just asked for an extension for the chilled meat rules until September.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Spangly A posted:

are we compiling these somewhere

We are: In parliament.

Ah, I see, so all this time kieth has been the policymaking powerhouse who has both sorted antisemitism and has election winning ideas but this has been hidden from the public by a poor director of comms. Now the adults are back in charge we're going to see some H U G E G A I N S

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

keep punching joe posted:

Dominic Cummings is a horrible human being but I would be lying if I said that I was not enjoying his rebirth as a poster.

Rebirth? Return to his roots, you mean. He was one of those LessWrong weirdoes* and I'm wiling to bet he was previously on at least one of RationalWiki, the JREF forums, or one of the New Atheist newsgroups (probably sci.skeptic, who always thought they were the intellectual superiors of the shitposters on talk.origins and alt.atheism).

* He's never acknowledged it but all of the blogs definitely proven to be part of his weird Extended Universe - and what's more Poster than a track record of zero-reader blogs screaming into the void - have linked to it, as well as the even weirder bits of that community like Slate Star Codex which were the incubator for the Dark Enlightenment and other calipers-based social science.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Rebirth? Return to his roots, you mean. He was one of those LessWrong weirdoes* and I'm wiling to bet he was previously on at least one of RationalWiki, the JREF forums, or one of the New Atheist newsgroups (probably sci.skeptic, who always thought they were the intellectual superiors of the shitposters on talk.origins and alt.atheism).

* He's never acknowledged it but all of the blogs definitely proven to be part of his weird Extended Universe - and what's more Poster than a track record of zero-reader blogs screaming into the void - have linked to it, as well as the even weirder bits of that community like Slate Star Codex which were the incubator for the Dark Enlightenment and other calipers-based social science.

I mean in at least one of his blogs he has cited big Yud which had me in stitches because of course he would.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1405911948647088129

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

did all his woad wash off in the rain

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Owen Jones is live on Novara on Youtube now and he'll be talking about the resignation.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Hey Twisto, could you do a couple sentences introduction to this "Dark Enlightenment" stuff? I tried glancing at a thread about it a few years ago, but never understood a drat thing. Though maybe that's their whole thing, to be undecipherably wrong and smug about it?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
7 cops to take 1 anti-masker away.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

jaete posted:

Hey Twisto, could you do a couple sentences introduction to this "Dark Enlightenment" stuff? I tried glancing at a thread about it a few years ago, but never understood a drat thing. Though maybe that's their whole thing, to be undecipherably wrong and smug about it?

spoiler: it's fash

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

eventually he’s going to run out of people to “resign”

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

happyhippy posted:

7 cops to take 1 anti-masker away.

watch the video

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

NotJustANumber99 posted:

watch the video

You can see his worm while he's doing the worm.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jaete posted:

The two big ideas are that businesses/corporations are good and governments are bad, from American libertarianism, and that the centuries past the Enlightenment were all part of a long downwards decline, with the moral arc of the universe being towards things they don't like, from taking the exact opposite view to MLK Jr. for ~reasons~.

Their solution to combining the two is bringing back the House of Stuart to rule as an absolute monarchy/board of directors, because they're loving idiots.

Neoreaction: A Basilisk is a good take on it.

e:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's been a long time since I looked at it but I think it was sort of a step on the dick dorkins capital A Atheist crowd going hard into the right wing politics poo poo. Basically fetishistic adulation of "science" which is to say telling the girls and religious people they are too stupid to understand, combined with going hog wild on any statistics put in front of them to support lovely politics. Kind of the same poo poo like The Bell Curve etc.

I think it was a bit of a brief thing honestly because it was competing with a lot of the same audience as gamergate/jorbo lobsterman/the proto-trump movement/alt right/US libertarians and all that poo poo. I don't know of anything really notable that it produced or anything that was actually unique about it, there has always been a pseudointellectual streak of the right aimed at lovely young white dudes. But the general theme of it was "actually racism is scientifically justified because of <dubious interpretation of specific statistics> and you are all too weak to contemplate it" which obviously nowadays is just summed up by screaming "woke" at things you don't like.

I suppose at the time it might have been a bit novel that people were just assuming they were right and the world proved it but everyone was just wilfully ignorant but I think in the ensuring decade that stance has gotten a lot more shrill and desperate and also picked up a lot more institutional support too so it's not really the same any more. Imagine a little fragment of that but existing in the middle of the far off epoch of the early 2010s, which as we all know were a prelapsarian land of milk and honey. Unlike the prolapsarian fallen hellscape of 2021.

The other thing I remember being associated with it was "HBD" or "human bio diversity" which is basically a crypto way of saying "racism is real and scientifically accurate"

Also, I suppose, a bit ahead of its time by couching garbage ideas in "progressive" language.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 18, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

jaete posted:

You could go into an ever-expanding explanation of it but basically:

The very, very short version is that the New Atheists all went insane on September 11th 2001 and realised it was actually just one religion they very specifically didn't believe in. I mean it was inevitable this would happen anyway because a lot of them were atheists the same way Ron Paul fans were libertarians - the gently caress YOU DAD strain is always strong in politics, and the inevitable result is always people snapping back to their parents political views but with the language of their former opposition mixed in.

Some took the quick route like Dick Dorkins and started using the words Judeo-Christian a lot, but a lot more took a more circuitous route through the fairly loose rationalist community (hence my mentioning JREF and Usenet) and into transhumanism and basically inventing their own robot god to fear, before rediscovering the finest minds of the 19th century and using their giant brains to decide that eugenics was Cool And Good.

It's probably best to think of them as part of a spectrum between the Reddit neckbeard/Wiki editor strain of insufferable pseudointellectual and the Koch-funded "Why child labour laws are destroying innovation" thinkpiece writers.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Whatever tonight's result, hoping that ScotRef 2.0 gets a big boost

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Whatever tonight's result, hoping that ScotRef 2.0 gets a big boost

The one thing I don't want to happen is a draw because the centrist columns about how it applies to the indy debate will blot out the loving sun.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Scotland lost the referendum 45 to 55, a ten goal deficit, they'll be lucky to keep it to that tonight.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The one thing I don't want to happen is a draw because the centrist columns about how it applies to the indy debate will blot out the loving sun.

Christ you're right, this is the horrifying (and thus inevitable) outcome - 52:48 in football form

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

He's not naked he's clearly wearing his police hat

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
what song is playing for scotland in this match?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I am committed to my hot take that the spark that lit the fire was the question "are video games art?"

Like, if you go back to the early 2000s when there were regular moral panics about violence in video games, the response from gamers was always "video games are art! They should be protected as free speech!" People got mad or at least rolled their eyes when people like Roger Ebert claimed the opposite, that no mere game could ever rise to the level of art.

And then came the day when a lady took the claim that video games were art seriously and produced a very basic and non-controversial work of feminist art criticism, and the internet exploded. All the pieces were in place, the "dark enlightenment", the tea party (in america), the casual misogyny of internet culture, the scientistic fetish for biotruths. But what men on the internet couldn't handle was that someone tested their claim that video games were art.

Suddenly games could not be art, because if they were art, that means they could be subject to artistic criticism, and since gamers defined themselves by games, if games could be criticised, they would be being criticised! Unfair!

This also meant any game which looked too much like art needed to be destroyed, and in their iconoclatic fury, this also meant attacking, harrasing and sending death threats to any women who dared to make a video game that looked like art.

Now I know this theory is certainly ridiulous, and there's probably a million better supported narratives of this period in history, but goddamn I want textbooks of the future to say "the pivotal question of the early 21st century was whether video games were art" so much because I want people of the future to look back at this ridiculous time with the same level of incredulity we do when we ponder how the question of whether Christ had one nature or two could have caused civil war in the Roman Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

https://twitter.com/almurray/status/1405935500666486794
^ :butt: :dong:

TAAR'AAAN AAAARRMAAAAAAY WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :scotland: