Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Outrail posted:

I'm calling this 'Corporate Absurdism' and it makes way too much sense.

"My entire wellbeing depends on this thing I'm doing, so I should aggressively avoid caring about it at all costs"

I'm starting to feel that about my job. Every time I turn around, I find out that there's another critical process that I've skipped because it was, y'know, never documented. :sigh:

Trying to learn about the missing pieces is just an exercise in frustration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I work for the state and you can be the worst at your job because nothing will happen to you. They won’t fire you, at most you’ll get demoted but still have the same pay rank you were getting previously with less work. The crazy poo poo I’ve heard/seen would make a good book one day. If you’re able to just let all the bitching about numbers roll off your back, doing as little as possible is the right choice for your sanity.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i work at a school and a few years ago they caught a principal loving a vice principal so they moved the man vice principal to another school and gave the lady principal a new job as "superintendent for data and assessment" where she works in a little office at the board offices, dealing with next to nobody, probably doing mostly gently caress-all, for 150k a year.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Sad King Billy posted:

He eventually got demoted to team leader but still kept the same wage.

So reduced responsibility with an enhanced wage. How the gently caress is it always the dumbest fuckers failing up?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Outrail posted:

So reduced responsibility with an enhanced wage. How the gently caress is it always the dumbest fuckers failing up?

Same outcome for you whether you fire them or promote them, but promoting is easier

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

i work at a school and a few years ago they caught a principal loving a vice principal so they moved the man vice principal to another school and gave the lady principal a new job as "superintendent for data and assessment" where she works in a little office at the board offices, dealing with next to nobody, probably doing mostly gently caress-all, for 150k a year.

Those central-admin jobs are so drat cushy. When I was a teacher everyone would jump to apply for an open curriculum position. In our district they were “get paid to sit around all day to be an ‘ideas guy’ “ job.

Also it was a huge district, which meant there was enough of a budget and bureaucracy to prop up 20-30 “assistant vice-superintendent” jobs. Data and assessment, community out reach, social media and marketing, Human Resources (HR had 2-3 superintendents and 3-4 directors) technology (separate from the director of the IT department), athletics (again separate from the athletics director, the person who actually did any work), etc. I hate “mah tax dollars!” arguments, but this really was just defrauding the community and squandering their resources.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 18, 2021

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

My work recently did a reharmonization of all our warehouses due to the imbalance of labour out west compared to the East Coast. My warehouse didn't lose any jobs, we actually gain some and promoted people to positions that they have been filling in for years. It should be good news since there were unionized warehouses that had to cut jobs because they had too much staff for the positions that they currently have. I only got a title change but my wages is above average for my position so I will still get my yearly increase.

However, the rest of the warehouse is completely upset about the changes that took place. There were fights on the work floor, shouting matches and people coming to all the managers to complain about various aspects of this change. Most of them feel like seniority, not skill or aptitude, should have been the deciding factor for the positions so they would have gotten them, when these changes affected admin/clerical positions and above. Some want all the changes reversed, and that everyone needs to apply for their job again along with the rest of the warehouse to make the process "fair".

I am getting so loving sick and tired of people asking me what the salary of the people in the new positions rather than doing something productive.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

TacticalHoodie posted:

Most of them feel like seniority, not skill or aptitude, should have been the deciding factor for the positions so they would have gotten them, when these changes affected admin/clerical positions and above. Some want all the changes reversed, and that everyone needs to apply for their job again along with the rest of the warehouse to make the process "fair".

Am I reading this wrong or would a lot of useless assholes be in for a rude awakening?

So why are you right for this position?
I've been here for ages!
Right, and what initiatives and improvements have you implemented in that time?
I've been here for ages!
Okay, and what skills and qualifications do you have for this position?
I've..been here for ages?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Outrail posted:

It's all networking and buddy buddy poo poo. It's the same everywhere but it's especially awful in the school admin world.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Tell them it'll only work if they pay a non-refundable fee to cover the interviewing process.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

We're re-opening the office Monday and as part of it, we have to spend the entire week wandering the building in special shirts so users can tell us about ALL the poo poo that's been broken for over a year, but they never bothered to call in and it's URGENT now!

Also they waited too long to order the shirts so they got shipped to out boss's house and he'll have to bring them in for us to change into Monday because of course. Also we'll probably only get one instead of the three he requested for each of us.

Oh, and this is all during the domain migration and the SAME DAY they're rolling out a new sign-in method for our computers...

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cthulu Carl posted:

We're re-opening the office Monday and as part of it, we have to spend the entire week wandering the building in special shirts so users can tell us about ALL the poo poo that's been broken for over a year, but they never bothered to call in and it's URGENT now!

Also they waited too long to order the shirts so they got shipped to out boss's house and he'll have to bring them in for us to change into Monday because of course. Also we'll probably only get one instead of the three he requested for each of us.

Oh, and this is all during the domain migration and the SAME DAY they're rolling out a new sign-in method for our computers...

Hahahah oh no! which team mandated the special shirts?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Hahahah oh no! which team mandated the special shirts?

gently caress if I know, but on the "welcome back" packets, they have a picture of some balding idiot in one and a big "if you need help, look for someone in this shirt!" Like you might tell a small child in an amusement park.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Cthulu Carl posted:

gently caress everything about this.

Bishopvi
Nov 12, 2003

And then he gives me a smile that just seems so genuinely sweet with just the right touch of shyness that unexpected warmth rushes through me.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Seems to me like your business got bought by another company and no one decided to tell you all about the reorganization.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Bishopvi posted:

Seems to me like your business got bought by another company and no one decided to tell you all about the reorganization.

We got bought back in August 2019, but the integration got put largely on hold for the pandemic.

They just bought another company and have moved on to telling them how loved and treasured they are while locking us in the basement.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
The law here says you get paid time off to go and get vaccinated. Some employers give you a half day just to have everyone be treated the same no matter how far you live (you get vaccinated at a precise time, close to home), some count the exact amount of time it should take to drive to the vaccination center etc, you have to go back to the office afterwards... and anything above comes out of your days off.

Some mysterious force is giving side effects only to the people whose employers count the time precisely and force you to go back to the office sometimes for just 1h, so the poor souls get a certificate from the vaccination center (you just need to say you don't feel great) and spend an additional full day at home, paid by the boss.

dum dum dum

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Speaking of vaccines, mask policy ends July 5 for us for vaccinated employees only. (I, for one, will still be wearing mine for a while yet even though I got the shots.) Overheard complaining within my department that "now people can tell who has and hasn't gotten a shot".

We already have unvaccinated people who walk around without masks because nobody in management gives a poo poo, nothing is fundamentally changing, but oh no, muh badge of dishonor.

Watch as once again, nothing fundamentally changes. These people even had extra pay offered to go get their shots.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

SkyeAuroline posted:

Speaking of vaccines, mask policy ends July 5 for us for vaccinated employees only. (I, for one, will still be wearing mine for a while yet even though I got the shots.) Overheard complaining within my department that "now people can tell who has and hasn't gotten a shot".

We already have unvaccinated people who walk around without masks because nobody in management gives a poo poo, nothing is fundamentally changing, but oh no, muh badge of dishonor.

Watch as once again, nothing fundamentally changes. These people even had extra pay offered to go get their shots.

Lol, our office will be dropping the mask requirement for vaccinated folks, and liars.

Thankfully we have 100% flex schedule now.

The people yearning to go in? Probably gonna be maskless and unvaccinated.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Cthulu Carl posted:

Similar deal for me except it's retail. I go in tonight and I dread.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I said before that I've actually been coming into the office this whole time, but now that we're "reopening" it's ruined it. I loved being in the empty deserted office more than working-from-home, but now that it's full of people it sucks again.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Should have poisoned the water while you had the chance.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

goatface posted:

Should have poisoned the water while you had the chance.

They turned off the water fountains and cancelled the water bottle deliveries a year ago. :( drat, that just made me realize that the guys who deliver water to offices must have been the hardest hit industry in the world this past year.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Imagined posted:

They turned off the water fountains

This is one of the annoying COVID Precaution Theatre things that drives me insane. It spreads incredibly poorly on surfaces (like, 1:10000 cases at best are from surface transmissions) but companies have gone goddamn berserk with their surface transmission prevention stuff like that and cleaning eight times a day.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This is one of the annoying COVID Precaution Theatre things that drives me insane. It spreads incredibly poorly on surfaces (like, 1:10000 cases at best are from surface transmissions) but companies have gone goddamn berserk with their surface transmission prevention stuff like that and cleaning eight times a day.

Hell of a lot cheaper than fixing the things that would actually make a difference.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

My new boss has just today told me that from Wednesday next week he wants me full time back in the office to boost visibility, when lockdown here in the UK has been extended into July and none of the senior management can be assed to wear masks in meetings.

Also the office is awful, cramped, loud and I was working from home, three days a week for years in previous jobs pre lock down? Already sent off a bunch of job applications and one recruiter got back to me within two hours.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Wouldn't they have turned off the water and stopped water delivery to save money due to no one being in the office for over a year?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Machai posted:

Wouldn't they have turned off the water and stopped water delivery to save money due to no one being in the office for over a year?

Even places that have been in-person have turned off the fountains the whole time. It’s been obnoxious trying to find somewhere to grab water sometimes.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Imagined posted:

They turned off the water fountains and cancelled the water bottle deliveries a year ago. :( drat, that just made me realize that the guys who deliver water to offices must have been the hardest hit industry in the world this past year.

Hope they check for legionnaires' when they turn them back on again

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

This is because of the early confused advice by agencies desperate to give some advice to people freaking out and to businesses to help them claim they were doing everything they could

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
In 20 years our kids are going to have COVID nostalgia parties where you aim an IR thermometer at each other as a greeting and spritz a little alcohol on the table before taking a shot.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Outrail posted:

Am I reading this wrong or would a lot of useless assholes be in for a rude awakening?

So why are you right for this position?
I've been here for ages!
Right, and what initiatives and improvements have you implemented in that time?
I've been here for ages!
Okay, and what skills and qualifications do you have for this position?
I've..been here for ages?

That is pretty much the conversations that I have been having all week.

I don't know why I wasn't consider for any of these positions! The whole process is completely rigged!
You are aware that the people who got those positions were filling in for the last few years and know the position inside and out?
Well.....I was here way longer than they were, they just took the positions away from guys who have been here for a long time!
Do you know how to make a spreadsheet?
A what?
Can you even open excel?

We have a open application for one of our Team Lead positions that opened up over the changes, but none of the people who complained are applying because they think my Boss is rigging the whole process and selected someone already. Yes, it is as stupid as it sounds.

Then someone today from our repack decided that he was going to take my position(because he found out my title changed and just assumed I got a wage increase) by sitting at my desk when I went to the bathroom and hosed up payroll for this week by "trying to learn the payroll system". Thanks Homie, you got suspended and I have to do a gently caress ton of work this weekend.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

TacticalHoodie posted:

Then someone today from our repack decided that he was going to take my position(because he found out my title changed and just assumed I got a wage increase) by sitting at my desk when I went to the bathroom and hosed up payroll for this week by "trying to learn the payroll system". Thanks Homie, you got suspended and I have to do a gently caress ton of work this weekend.

Uh. What the gently caress?
There have been a lot of stories in this thread, but this one is... perplexing.
So they just started hammering buttons so they could Do Your Job?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Don't press keys for the job you have, mash keys for the job you want

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Atopian posted:

Uh. What the gently caress?
There have been a lot of stories in this thread, but this one is... perplexing.
So they just started hammering buttons so they could Do Your Job?

I see you have never worked in a corporate environment.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I see you have never worked in a corporate environment.

Ha, I escaped years ago, but I guess what stuck out was the... 'acting like a toddler' aspect?

I'm used to incompetence and malice and laziness and all that stuff, but someone with the earnest belief that they could just sit down at someone's specific-procedure-knowledge job and Show Them All just struck me as what a small child might do.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Atopian posted:

Ha, I escaped years ago, but I guess what stuck out was the... 'acting like a toddler' aspect?

I'm used to incompetence and malice and laziness and all that stuff, but someone with the earnest belief that they could just sit down at someone's specific-procedure-knowledge job and Show Them All just struck me as what a small child might do.

Yeah, it was outlandish - I was just looking for an easy joke.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
little known fact: instead of logging in normally punch in the konami code you can make yourself the owner & founder or just decide your own benefits

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Even places that have been in-person have turned off the fountains the whole time. It’s been obnoxious trying to find somewhere to grab water sometimes.

Is this in the US? OSHA regulations require employers to provide potable drinking water. If they turn off the fountains they need to provide bottled water or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

SniperWoreConverse posted:

little known fact: instead of logging in normally punch in the konami code you can make yourself the owner & founder or just decide your own benefits

*may require a few hundred thousand or million in capital