Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cleretic posted:

In most of the games where it comes up, the Great Will is essentially one and the same as YHWH, and is directly responsible for the cycle of death and rebirth that you're saying should be fought against. In Nocturne in particular the Great Will is the one only ever named as the antagonist they're fighting against, the name YHWH never enters the picture at all (possibly because they were trying to go mainstream and killing Literal Yahweh might've made that hard), but nothing else has changed.

The Great Will and YHWH are only separate in Apocalypse, so we can assume something happened to split them apart at least in that universe, but they were one and the same at the time of Nocturne. And again, we know the games' relationship to each other.

It's DIFFICULT to figure out quite how the mainline SMTs intersect, it turns out. But honestly, even if we can't bring in Apocalypse, the question of 'what happens if Lucifer loses his war against God after Nocturne' is something I think is worth always keeping in mind when discussing the TDE. It's a long shot, but I don't think it's one without consequences for failure.

i think yhvh never enters the picture at all because its not in the picture. the great will already has an avatar in nocturne in kagutsuchi instead. i feel like trying to tie all the games together concretely doesnt make much sense and they should mostly stand alone except where its explicit.

dealing with tde in nocturne as its own thing, the great wills interest is in keeping conception going. there is nothing to signify that if lucifer and demi fiend fail after tde that it will do anything but restore things to how they were, because if the great will wanted something different they wouldve simply done something different already. the game presents many endings but theres really two overarching options: keep the cycle going or try and stop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I saw someone call the protagonist L'oreal-kun, and it perfectly fits.
https://twitter.com/Gzeidraws/status/1404980798084812800
https://twitter.com/batzgemu/status/1404892215990571008
https://twitter.com/altohya/status/1404999260513259520

Go Go Demon rangers!
https://twitter.com/Tr1ckste4/status/1404860160045092864

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm not afraid to say it: jack's new hat takes what was already iconic to another level

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Someone was inspired to give l'oreal-kun some kitty ears.
https://twitter.com/Ribbonsu/status/1405184988899729411

Artists have been having tons of fun drawing him.
https://twitter.com/beefbulgogi/status/1405330202062843906
https://twitter.com/blank_txxt/status/1405080873750437890
https://twitter.com/LightsInheritor/status/1404986654729793543

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Stux posted:

wait hang on i havnt played the apoc dlc and i just looked it up on the wiki

In his world, he had been killed by Lucifer after destroying Kagutsuchi, but was brought back in the Diamond Realm by Stephen, in order for them to regain their lost strength. He travels back with the intent of winning this time.

is that right?? all that implies is you losing the in game fight at the end of tde, it has nothing to do with anything afterwards if its even canon lol

Yeah, all of the protags in that dlc are ones that failed. The whole "demi fiend gets killed by lucifer after the tde" was based on people somehow missing this.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm liking Nocturne so far. I just got to Asakusa. I had a probably dumb question though. I know the SMT games are a bit less transparent than most, but I was wondering when you got "locked into" a path/ending and if it tells you. I've talked to Isamu, Hikawa and Chiaki, but only basic conversations so far. I know I'm not going to get like S-Link ranks or anything but is it clear when I'm committing to help one of them? I know the True Demon Ending is its own separate path but if I'm actually picking a side is it going to be clear when that choice actually happens or is it a tally of all your actions throughout the game? I haven't had many chances to make choices so far, that I've noticed.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm liking Nocturne so far. I just got to Asakusa. I had a probably dumb question though. I know the SMT games are a bit less transparent than most, but I was wondering when you got "locked into" a path/ending and if it tells you. I've talked to Isamu, Hikawa and Chiaki, but only basic conversations so far. I know I'm not going to get like S-Link ranks or anything but is it clear when I'm committing to help one of them? I know the True Demon Ending is its own separate path but if I'm actually picking a side is it going to be clear when that choice actually happens or is it a tally of all your actions throughout the game? I haven't had many chances to make choices so far, that I've noticed.

I think it tracks your score with each option based on dialogue choices made throughout the game.

e: apparently those points are mostly used to tie break if you trigger multiple endings. The important key decision points which allow you to formally side with a Reason start up after you do the obelisk dungeon, which you should be coming up on soonish.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 17, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

what they said

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I think it tracks your score with each option based on dialogue choices made throughout the game.

e: apparently those points are mostly used to tie break if you trigger multiple endings. The important key decision points which allow you to formally side with a Reason start up after you do the obelisk dungeon, which you should be coming up on soonish.

Cool, thanks. I think it would be better though if I just got plunked in the middle of a room at some point with the humans all standing on the edge of the room patting their knees and saying "come here! Come over here demi-human!". It would be more convenient.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

Cool, thanks. I think it would be better though if I just got plunked in the middle of a room at some point with the humans all standing on the edge of the room patting their knees and saying "come here! Come over here demi-human!". It would be more convenient.

Nice to meet you Casey Hudson.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Nice to meet you Casey Hudson.

I had to look this up but lmao ouch that's a good burn.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Looks like there is another minor change to the Press Turn system

https://youtu.be/BBTsy-hUl_8

Essentially, if you pass consecutive turns, they will turn the other full turns into half turns instead of just completely consuming a turn. Feels like I explained that badly, but the video demonstrates the change.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hmm That's a minor change that could have semi major ramifications for your per turn calculus. Not having to leap frog your turns changes quite a bit.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Hmm That's a minor change that could have semi major ramifications for your per turn calculus. Not having to leap frog your turns changes quite a bit.

It makes it so you can always get two actions per turn from your two strongest demons regardless of turn order. Under the old version of Press Turn, you could only do that if they were 1st and 3rd or 2nd and 4th. It was always kind of unintuitive that Pass worked differently than every other half Press Turn action so I'm really happy about this change.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Lucifer is probably going to be involved in SMT V in some fashion. Given his rather prominent appearance in the third trailer.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

jimmydalad posted:

Looks like there is another minor change to the Press Turn system

https://youtu.be/BBTsy-hUl_8

Essentially, if you pass consecutive turns, they will turn the other full turns into half turns instead of just completely consuming a turn. Feels like I explained that badly, but the video demonstrates the change.

I think this is how it works in dx2, maybe?

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Light Gun Man posted:

I think this is how it works in dx2, maybe?

No, dx2 is pretty much the opposite relative to nocturne: you can only have one half press turn at any time.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SMT5 looks really good I have high hopes

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

A day or two ago, I got drunk with my friend and their roommates who loved Persona 4 and 5 for the aesthetics and characters, and I ended up ranting about how much I like Nocturne, and how excited I am about SMT V. I found out today that one of them ended up buying the remaster of III because of that conversation.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm like 90% sure they're gonna hate this isolated, cold, unforgiving 2000s dungeon crawler of a game that has nothing they love from Persona in it.

Though, all that being said, I really hope they get to Matador before dropping it, at least. I've never seen an organic reaction to that boss in my real life social circle before, and I'd be elated if--in the TYOOL 2021--he still has the same impact he had on me back in the day.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah SMT3 and Persona might have a combat system in common but otherwise they might as well be from different planets. I made the anime convention comparison, how the people who like P4/5 like the anime parts of it, and not the parts where you make a flow chart to do chain fusions so you can prevent the bosses from getting press turns.

The omission of P3 from that list is also pretty telling in what sorts of things they like about the games

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

dunno the smt game i had put the most time into before i tried nocturne was persona 4 and i loved it

also the lack of p3 might just be because p3 is far less popular than 4 and 5

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was just thinking that SMT4A had been relatively tame and then

What the gently caress

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It was a pretty good jump scare while laying in bed at midnight.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hatty posted:

It was a pretty good jump scare while laying in bed at midnight.

Hey, that's how i encountered it too!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

lol same. Got me good.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
That isn't even the best Shesha!Flynn face.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Draga posted:

That CG was legitimately disturbing

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

These are like the "detailed but wrong face suddenly appears" thing from creepypasta but both canon and competent it rules.

FLYNN.EXE

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
The actor's performance in that dialogue is hilarious.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Draga posted:

My brain is broken and i cant not see this as jokerfied flynn

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Asahi dying hit me a lot harder than I would have expected, because I was sort of thinking right before then about how the thesis of 4a seemed to be something like "despite everything, we're still human." And Asahi is the moral core of that thesis--a ray of normalcy in a very abnormal world. Even with demons and angels threatening Armageddon her concerns are always grounded in stuff like her career or her love life. At first it was kind of annoying but as I played more I realized how important it was to have that kind of character in the game.

And then...

I got into the next dungeon and saw the next few twists but I'm not gonna be able to play through it until tonight

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I really need to get back to Apocalypse. I'm in the Cosmic Egg but my habitual "play game for a while then get distracted by shiny new game" kicked in.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
After playing through both devil survivor games, strange journey redux, and smt4, I kinda wish that Atlus would just decide to go for broke and introduce a ton of utterly new lower level demons or swap out entire pantheons so there's more variety.

I wanna see more stuff from africa, or other norse gods rather than the standard odin, thor, heimdall, and loki we get every game. Give me Ullr, a god revived in the modern age as a symbol of of winter sports!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pharohman777 posted:

After playing through both devil survivor games, strange journey redux, and smt4, I kinda wish that Atlus would just decide to go for broke and introduce a ton of utterly new lower level demons or swap out entire pantheons so there's more variety.

I wanna see more stuff from africa, or other norse gods rather than the standard odin, thor, heimdall, and loki we get every game. Give me Ullr, a god revived in the modern age as a symbol of of winter sports!

i want more demons like chemtrails! like its criminal ive never seen a "little green man" alien as a demon

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Smt II has a ton of weird rear end demons. Frankenstein, Christine from the Stephen king novel, Audrey from that one movie, Betelgeuse.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Everyone forgets the SMT2 Baphomet, which is straight from Nightbreed.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
We need Terminator to return.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Chemtrails rules and it's a shame basically no one would ever encounter him in a normal playthough. Killer 7-lookin-rear end demon

But yeah SMT2 has a bunch of demons that are just book references, like Audrey or Redrum. The "American Popular Culture" section of the smt wiki is pretty funny. Mad Gasser is a pretty deep cut, too. Makes me wonder what their research process is like

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I loved the chemtrails/plasma thing, and the way they introduced themselves with 'is it a lie, or the truth' when they introduce themselves.

There are a ton of modern demons possible to make using niche conspiracy theories.
Like the one that America is akin to a omnipotent evil god that actually controls all opposition movements and protests around the world, from hong kong, to myanmar, to belarus. Basically any protest reported on sympathetically by western media is used as proof america is behind it in its entirety.

The whole 'Catholic pope literally rules the world and nefariously tries to infiltrate noncatholic countries to control them' conspiracy that was popular for a very long time among protestants, and still survives today would make another good demon.

The belief that all bad things in the world can be traced back to one, simple source is the essence of modern conspiracy theories, and is perfect for making demons that represent those theories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Surprised the Flatwoods monster hasn’t been included yet. Japan seems to love the design