Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is Monteray Jack the guy mentioned way back in TFA as one of the people you have to use as the expedition leader?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SelenicMartian posted:

Is Monteray Jack the guy mentioned way back in TFA as one of the people you have to use as the expedition leader?

Yep. He's actually one of the player characters from the first edition of the Arkham Horror boardgame.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The lead designer did an interview recently which has some interesting stuff.

Also, I think it was the MB Discord that found out the two packs are not being released simultaneously. The player cards pack is releasing around September with the scenarios coming later in November (exact dates are extremely tentative, as always, with this game).

I love the move to two big boxes and the new set looks fantastic too. Lily looks great, and I'm looking forward to having Nathaniel Cho branch out into MMA...

edit : Also in AH Universe news, there's a new board game based on the BSG one called Atlantica which is being revealed very soon and it apparently has a bunch of brand new investigators, which is not too surprising seeing as how the LCG only has 11 unused ones remaining after this new set comes out.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 8, 2021

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Given her pose, that sweeping kick should be going clockwise, which means her foot has somehow teleported through the other guy’s ankle.

Literally unplayable.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Finally, a stunning blow for the rest of us!
Edit: The true genius move is to pair that with the upgraded .25, so you hit them, automatically evade them, then automatically get to shoot them. Skids learns GUNKATA BABY.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Kalko posted:

The lead designer did an interview recently which has some interesting stuff.

quote:

The campaign guide will be spiral bound and includes a table of contents and achievement list.
Achievements used to be a Return to feature.

quote:

The opening of the campaign asks you to do "Something unusual" while you read it, and MJ suggests that you do it.
Read the ending?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Achievements used to be a Return to feature.

Read the ending?

Go outdoors

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
That Sweeping Kick art kind of makes me think they’re starting to dive into their L5R art collection for some art to import into Arkham.

I have zero problem with this if it somehow means their Netrunner art somehow starts winding up in Arkham also.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

If anyone is interested in seeing the very latest spoilers, someone from the Mythos Busters keeps a compilation of every snippet that appears here. A lot of them come from non-English promos like the bits that appeared today. Foresight and Gene both sound really cool.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Super funny to imagine Ursula doing her archaeology by moving all the evidence into the hallway.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Tangential news (new AH board game) :

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/6/10/traitors-and-terror/

Not a lot of details but I assume if you're familiar with this type of game you'll get the gist of it. I thought it would introduce potential future investigators for the LCG but 1) it's set in 1913, and 2) the whole traitor/hybrid narrative aspect of it makes it seem like it will be its own self-contained thing.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

It's also blatantly the Battlestar Galactica board game, except done with a license they actually get to keep.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Kalko posted:

Tangential news (new AH board game) :

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/6/10/traitors-and-terror/

Not a lot of details but I assume if you're familiar with this type of game you'll get the gist of it. I thought it would introduce potential future investigators for the LCG but 1) it's set in 1913, and 2) the whole traitor/hybrid narrative aspect of it makes it seem like it will be its own self-contained thing.

I missed the BSG boat and have heard it was excellent. Looking forward to this game quite a bit.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I hope it’s shorter, my vibe was BSG wore out its welcome in terms of length.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Now that I have the entire Innsmouth campaign I've been spending some time each night this week trying to make Sister Mary work in two-handed solo as the primary enemy handler, with Wendy, on Hard. All I can say is, Good Lord, the only thing she has is the Winchester/Olive McBride combo. I guess she has a solid Spectral Razor, too, and Rite of Sanctification is extremely good if you get it early, but that's it. I want to get to the part where I start taking names with Nephthys and do other cool stuff with the big bless cards, but Level 0 Mary is a real trial.

I'm going in blind as well so I've been learning the scenarios as I go (and to be honest half the challenge of playing on Hard is knowing the scenario inside-out) and I've done a huge amount of iteration on Mary's deck; I've played the first scenario at least 25 times this week and I only started getting through it to see the second one in my last few games. I must've had some pretty awful luck with Olive in my first few games because I took her out of the deck and then spent a lot of time trying other stuff (Guard Dogs for testless damage, even the .45 Thompson based on the strength of Rite) but it turns out she is actually very reliable for triggering the gun and things started going much more smoothly when I put her back in and Mary didn't have to spend 2-3 actions to kill something each turn.

The main challenge for the first scenario is that on Hard you want to test at +3 minimum and she only has a base Combat of 3 (I haven't actually tried a Willpower build because even though you start at 4 you need a Holy Rosary to bring it up to 5, which is where the Winchester and Enchanted Blade start at). And there sure do seem to be a lot of enemies in this first scenario! Like, really, a lot. Ward of Protection paid dividends for avoiding some of the worst variance with regards to a certain card that spawns them, and I've flip-flopped on Drawn to the Flame because while it's a big tempo boost Mary just doesn't feel sturdy enough to handle it. That 5 health is her other obvious weak spot but it's been fairly manageable so far with careful play and Hallowed Mirror as my main soak.

Now that I'm exploring the second scenario I've run into another snag : I don't think Wendy is a strong enough partner for her. It's a shame because I wanted to build into event-based Wendy with On Your Own and I love how returning to an old investigator after hundreds of new cards makes them feel fresh again, but the sheer amount of stuff the second scenario asks you to do seems beyond her, at least alongside Mary at her current power level. And speaking of, is Innsmouth a low-XP campaign? When I was reliably getting through the first scenario I wasn't getting more than 4XP, and in the second one I was able to find the hideout and suspect most of the time (largely through luck) but fat loving chance I could do anything about it, so I couldn't see a way I'd ever get more than like 1-2XP from that one.

So I'm going to start over again and try Minh instead of Wendy. It allows me to keep the Survivor bless tech (recurring Keep Faith) and also help Mary out with skill tests from afar. And, being a Seeker, she should be more efficient at grabbing clues. Not that Wendy was bad at that, she was just... not good enough. One thing I have learned along the way is that if you want to guarantee a 3-4 bless token pull chain then just slap down a Take Heart. Every. loving. Time. I guess that's what Ancient Covenant is for...

I'll do a full campaign write-up when I make it through. I love this game but I tend to only play it in big binge sessions and then not touch it for weeks or months. But I've got the itch now and I'm really enjoying it; for all the frustrations with trying to coerce Mary into a role she probably wasn't intended for I already think the campaign is a big mechanical win. The bless/curse tokens and associated cards really shake things up, and trying to 'solve' the campaign by developing a pair of decks that can perform consistently for a future Ironman run is as fun as it has ever been.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I found that the more characters you have, the better Mary is. In four she could keep the bag full time and do some enemy killing, in Carcosa she was excellent but Trish and Joe were the other characters. Having someone else who can fight is essential when your main fight is three, especially on hard, especially on blind hard.

I would just play it through, on standard, because there are very few scenarios that just kill you off, rather than trying to iterate through a blind campaign. Silas/Ursula was a lot of fun, Carolyn and Roland could do fine (he certainly won’t run out of things to kill.) I wouldn’t run someone with really low dexterity unless they can cancel the encounter deck. But Rita or ashcan will benefit from the expanded movement.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 13, 2021

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

My FLGS did not get their shipment of "The Lair of Dagon". Considering I prepaid it 6 months ago, that's unsporting.

Anybody know where I might score a pack in the US?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
As a new player, should I be holding out for a new release of the Dunwich Legacy as a big box, or should I just buy the original and try to hunt down the mythos packs?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kalko posted:

Mary/Wendy Innsmouth stuff

Honestly, I think building Mary as any sort of fighter is a trap. Someone posted earlier about running her in two's where she was basically the clue gatherer, as well as worked on handling the encounter deck. I really think that's the best way to go-it lets you take advantage of her only good stat and/or just go testless on getting clues, while your other investigator can do the actual fighting/monster handling. Especially in Innsmouth, which seems to have a ton of combat. Fighting without a 4 in fist, especially on hard mode, is gonna be difficult no matter what and nothing in her kit naturally would support doing that. Honestly while I like them trying to branch out guardians in theory (as I've said before) I really think they need better card support in general to do that.

And as for Innsmouth being low xp, I think if you're going in blind it's definitely gonna feel that way on hard. The combination of not knowing how it plays with a lot of the xp being somewhat random/not guaranteed makes that a likely occurrence. I know we were kinda scraping by on our hard playthrough.

General Battuta posted:

As a new player, should I be holding out for a new release of the Dunwich Legacy as a big box, or should I just buy the original and try to hunt down the mythos packs?

I honestly don't see them redoing the older campaigns as big boxes with everything included, at least not for a LONG time. I think you're just best off trying to hunt down the packs/campaign box (or, maybe just look for a collection sale).

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

General Battuta posted:

The big question on everyone's mind: WHO KNOWS?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

jeeves posted:

The big question on everyone's mind: WHO KNOWS?

I move to Something Awful and investigate but the shroud value is too high

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

That's when you Work a Hunch.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Xlorp posted:

My FLGS did not get their shipment of "The Lair of Dagon". Considering I prepaid it 6 months ago, that's unsporting.

Anybody know where I might score a pack in the US?

Answering my own question. I found stock at
CLS Games
Atlanta's Board Game Warehouse
CLSGames@Comcast.Net
(770) 310-2498

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

alansmithee posted:

Honestly, I think building Mary as any sort of fighter is a trap.

But, but, but... Holy Spear... :ohdear:

I guess it's thematic for Zoey too. You're right, though, she's not really fighter material but I don't think it's a total lost cause and I'm hoping that some of the new XP cards will shore her up enough to be at least serviceable by mid-campaign (if anyone has been down this road themselves don't spoil it for me!)

If nothing else I'm enjoying the experiment, and it's been great re-visiting Minh with newer cards like Dream Diary, which is a perfect example of a card that is very strong for her but not obviously broken like, say, Pendant of the Queen was in Mandy.

Golden Bee posted:

I would just play it through, on standard, because there are very few scenarios that just kill you off, rather than trying to iterate through a blind campaign.

That's what I used to do, but I'm going to stick it out for now and I'm actually repeating the scenarios a fair bit anyway as I learn them, and I've restarted to adjust my Level 0 decks a few times after making it to the third scenario. I think it's reasonable to tailor your starting deck for the first two scenarios but if you're including too many situationally useful L0 cards from the start you'd better have a good reason. One such example would be The Truth Beckons, which feels like a pretty good 1-of for this campaign so far (though it doesn't work too well in that third scenario).

Regarding older sets being re-packaged into big boxes, for what it's worth the lead designer was asked about that in a recent interview and her response was 'stay tuned.'

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

There is a reason at the end of the campaign that you want to do it all again, if you don’t get a perfect score. So I still recommend just going through and seeing how you do and saving perfection for the rerun

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Return to The Circle Undone player cards :

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I can't decide if The Fool would be worth it or not. Ignoring the draw action, it's four turns to break even. Obviously, you'd want to be trying to mulligan for it, but then you need two to aim for the draw in the opening hand, which means you have a dead card and a bunch of extra XP costs. Even then, you frequently wouldn't draw it. I could maybe see it being good in a event heavy deck, where you might be able to easily trigger it every turn.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah, Sefina would love it.

I absolutely love the art for the knight.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The tarot's are all hard-mulligan targets because their value if in opening hands is so so so much higher than if you play them later (when they are in many cases of dubious value). So if your deck already has a hard-mulligan target (or worse, 2) then don't take them. But if you don't, they are p excellent imo.

Also, unless you're playing a weird full tarot deck, never take more than a single copy of a single tarot card imo. Because drawing that 2nd copy of a tarot card is just the most miserable value you can have off of a non-weakness draw in the entire game.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Tarots also get a great boost from Studious if they're your only mulligan.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I mean, they also help protect your hands from random discards, and they work just as well as any other card with Cornered. And if you’re going big hand, they can be cruft you’re never going to be tempted to use.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Alright we've establised tarot cards are, in fact, cards.

I still maintain that drawing the second copy of a tarot is the worst non-weakness outcome of a draw.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Orange Devil posted:

Alright we've establised tarot cards are, in fact, cards.

I still maintain that drawing the second copy of a tarot is the worst non-weakness outcome of a draw.

You're not wrong, but, when I draw the second copy of a Death or Four of Cups, I think to myself: hmm, this card sucks, but the fact that it sucks tells me that I currently have +1 to my main stat, which is pretty hot. can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

Non-hand-or-accessory ways to boost stats are few and far between, and I want to have them consistently. So I'm not gonna stop running two copies of tarots just because the second one sucks.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

New Roland adventure dropped. Parallel Roland looks like he has a lot of the same stuff Lily is going to have. But not getting the big heavy guardian weapons means having a heavy deck of level two and three tactics, which is interesting.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
That's funny, they basically turned him into the Arkham equivalent of Adam from Netrunner, my favorite runner.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Are any of the complete cycles easy to get ahold of? It feels like everyone I look at has at least one OOP.

Freakie
Oct 30, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Are any of the complete cycles easy to get ahold of? It feels like everyone I look at has at least one OOP.

Honestly, the easiest way to get a full cycle is to buy it complete off of somebody else.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

We beat Devourer Below on our second try, I went blithering mad cause I pulled an unexpected Abandoned and Alone right before Umordhoth cast brain :can: on me but my partner was able to do 9 damage in a single turn which got us to 14 and killed the drat thing. It was a near thing, she had exactly one health and one sanity left and even a single failed fight check would've been game over.

Is there any way to get our poor characters some therapy or is she going to be taking her cop guy into the next campaign with a starting sanity of two?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you give up your XP, you can give up your trauma too, and pretend it’s the characters identical sibling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
It's not standard practice to carry over investigator progress (experience / trauma / scenario rewards etc) between campaigns - you'd normally start with a clean slate in scenario 1 of whichever campaign you play next.

There's nothing to stop you from trying to start a campaign with barely-clinging-to-sanity Roland, for sure, it's just not the default way of playing.