Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Residency Evil posted:

See you next week bae. :ohdear:
I love that color

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ranzear posted:

Anyone know what/how/differences with PTV? When I was leaving the beach I turned off PSC and left two perfectly straight and even trails behind me in the sand when I goosed it. As far as I know it's not entirely a limited slip but maybe an electronic LSD that it unlocks to brake the inside wheel?

It's just hard to get around all the marketing wank to find out how it actually works. All I know is this car just corners even harder when you add throttle mid corner.

Answering my own question: PTV+ has the electronic LSD, while PTV has a mechanical 4 disc clutch pack, but they both do the outside wheel braking the same.

It definitely acts way different from the likely Torsen equipped Z3 I used to hoon a little. That thing would kick sideways on mid-corner lockup like someone flipped a switch.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 17, 2021

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
My newly refurbished, broken rear end headlights:

This part (red arrow) is loose and slides forwards and backwards if you tilt the headlight.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Your lights look pretty good, so good job with the polishing. Too bad about them being broken though.

I actually have a spare set of fried eggs - they were actually the ones on my car when I bought it. The previous owner put a high wattage bulb in it which discolored the lens... but other than that I think they are OK enough.

Pretty sure we could work something out $$ if you are interested in them - but they are large and shipping will be a poo poo-ton from :canada: We get super screwed on here, especially going across the line.

Let me know if you're interested and we can take it off this thread via PM or email.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Either go back to the egg lights or maybe some aftermarket LED headlights. Not sure in the feasibility of getting the ones in there to work if they are missing a lot of the gubbinz.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Although, ironically, it might be cheaper for him to see what required to retrofit for them to properly work if only the one is busted, although far more difficult and work to do. Used xenons seem to be pretty available, ironically more available that halogen eggs at least from what my quick search looks like.

The "LED" replacements out there are almost as expensive as OEM replacements (that I've seen) and look *awful*

Maybe there are others out there?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Yeah, there is another aftermarket LED set now that doesn't have the goofy L-shaped DRL, but they still don't look period correct to me.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Due to the cost I feel like I have to at least look into retrofitting a different xenon thingamajigger in there or something.

I really want a set of eggs but I’m looking at like 700 on eBay for the cheapest decent set or 500 on fb market and I have to wait and get lucky.

Slidebite can you send a pic of yours to bladiddyblabla? Don’t really want to buy something that is already discolored, but beggars and choosers and all that.

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 20, 2021

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Wow from my searching it looks like the xenons sell for even more than that on eBay. I could make back a decent chunk just selling the one good one…

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

fknlo posted:

Have you done ppf on the front? The rocks and sand on the roads out here are no joke. Don’t be too far from home in it after like noon when it’s warm either because it can basically hail unexpectedly at any time.

Yeah it has ppf on the full front and rockers. :ohdear:

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah it has ppf on the full front and rockers. :ohdear:

I regret not getting ppf on the *roof* of my Cayman. The leading edge was a moonscape of rock chips after 80k miles

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Hanging out with me overnight before the PPI in the morning

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nice!

Willroc just sent you a super quick email.

We can move that off-site. Reply when you get a sec and I will send you more info later

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

slidebite posted:

Nice!

Willroc just sent you a super quick email.

We can move that off-site. Reply when you get a sec and I will send you more info later

Thanks I replied back.

In the mean time, any catches with these lights on ebay? I could get both for 600 shipped. I'm a little confused by the brand "WD Express". That's not a knockoff, is it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401825842866?hash=item5d8eafc6b2:g:RwAAAOSwiCFeFktU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I don't know what they mean by WD Express either, but you can see Bosch on the outside of it just above the corner lens if you use the zoom, so I have no reason to doubt they're genuine.

Little known fact: 986 and 996 headlights, while interchangeable, are actually different. I think it has to do with the actual lens is a different pattern or something.

I'd ask for some better photos of them outside of the vehicle to make sure there are no surprises. Might be as decent of a deal as you might get if you are looking for something quick.

Bonus that he might include the corner lenses. The tabs LOVE to break on those as they get old.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

As a nice small surprise, it's got the LN magnetic drain plug in there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nice. Mine was magnetic too.

Their spin on adapter is a nice, well made thing too. Let's you use super common and cheap spin on cans that have backflow valves.

If you have the mechanical aptitude and gumption, consider pulling your bottom crankcase cover (sump pan) and see what you have for tensioner debris. Guaranteed there will be some assuming the PO hasn't had it apart the past couple years.

Another thing I always do when I buy a used vehicle is change the trans oil, power steering fluid and brake fluid if it looks crappy. Those are generally neglected by anyone that isn't a quasi enthusiast.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

willroc7 posted:

Thanks I replied back.

In the mean time, any catches with these lights on ebay? I could get both for 600 shipped. I'm a little confused by the brand "WD Express". That's not a knockoff, is it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401825842866?hash=item5d8eafc6b2:g:RwAAAOSwiCFeFktU

Any cause for concern here? The rubber/seal around the back of the lens looks pretty rough. Are all the pins on the connector there that should be?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yep. Alarm bells for sure. That's janky as gently caress. Someone has been inside it and maybe didn't even use gaskets and just goop. Doesn't mean it won't work or leak, but no way I'd pay anywhere near $600 for the pair of those or even half that. My existing set had someone in them before I bought them but look nowhere near that bad.

You can supposedly heat them up and replace the gaskets (they are available) but whomever did that certainly didn't do a good job. I guess you could try buying them and replacing the gaskets but I think it's a pain in the rear end.

Here is what the back of my old ones look like.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Sweet thank you, saving me buku bucks.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Those headlights must be one of the worst automotive design decisions made since the corvair

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I believe it was done almost solely for speed of assembly, and by that metric, they were quite good.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Seller replies to me, "

NO THE SEALS WERE NOT REDONE THIS NORMAL WEAR OF THOUGH OUT THE YEARS THERE NO LEAKES, NEW SEALS CAN BE REPLACED FOR 20.00."

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

All caps, cruise control for cool.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Elephanthead posted:

Those headlights must be one of the worst automotive design decisions made since the corvair
Definitely a lot of hate for them and I will admit I don't love them but they have grown on me. A bit.

Most here probably know this, but they were lifted from the GT1 which nobody at the time hated, or at least weren't terribly vocal about it at the time.

The hate mostly came from the belief that the 996 took them from the lesser model, 986 (not that 911 wanters/havers are ever known to be snobs) - but in fact the 996 was designed well before the 986 using GT1 cues and the 986 was just released before the 996.

willroc7 posted:

Seller replies to me, "

NO THE SEALS WERE NOT REDONE THIS NORMAL WEAR OF THOUGH OUT THE YEARS THERE NO LEAKES, NEW SEALS CAN BE REPLACED FOR 20.00."
:lol:No leakes? Well sign me the gently caress up.

What a tool. Walk away.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Wait. I thought the GT1 was designed initially the first like two prototypes using 993 front end since it was based on that car, and that they just updated the headlights to match the new design direction for the upcoming 996. That’s roughly what Catchpole was saying in his holy trinity series on carfection a couple weeks ago.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

From what I understand the GT1 was mostly 993 interior, etc, but the headlights and tailights were done in the early 90s.

How far along the 996 was at that time I have no idea. I do have a 996 book that I haven't read for some time which said (iirc from a Pinky Lai interview) that Porsche used the GT1 design in the 996 and not vice/versa, but I will admit I am not an authority on that just going from memory.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So total coincidence 5 minutes ago....

My neighbor is a single mom. Her dad would walk over and chat with me periodically if he saw me in the yard and in his broken english (japanese decent) compliment me on the 996 and we'd chat a little bit, albeit with difficulty. Nice guy.

Anyhow, my wife was out front weeding the lawn and came in after she finished and said "Hey, her dad is over and he's got a Porsche."

So I go up to my window and see what he's got. Backing out of the driveway,

God drat 993 Turbo :lol:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

:laffo: get flexed on

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Sooooo

The upper coolant hose is leaking and needs to be replaced, and the brake fluid needs to be changed. I got them down to $10,500 for it and am budgeting about $600 for the work.

:toot:

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

kensei posted:

Sooooo

The upper coolant hose is leaking and needs to be replaced, and the brake fluid needs to be changed. I got them down to $10,500 for it and am budgeting about $600 for the work.

Sounds like a great result and buy! Almost under 10k for an S is insane car for the money. If I hadn’t been dead set on the back seats that’s where I would be.

Speaking of, I got the second car seat in today, a graco nautilus 65 harness booster for my 2 year old. And with that the 911 has officially become a family car as we took our first full foursome drive. I’m sure it’s mostly the novelty, but the kids were pretty giddy and didn’t want to go back home. Broken headlight, butchered carpets, janky exhaust and all.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I posted this pic in the BMW thread, but my crazy friend who I mentioned bought the Albert Blau GT3 Touring a month or two back has just added two more ridiculously low mileage cars to his garage in the last 10 days... 9500 mile Club Blau for the GTS on the left, 72 mile Frozen Grey for the GTS on the right.

He's got the GT3 and GT4 at an offsite collector storage place which doesn't allow photography so I haven't actually seen the GT3 yet.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That blau is wow.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That blue is indeed gorgeous.

kensei posted:

Sooooo

Good for you! Doing it on your own? Other than being awkward, shouldn't be too tough. Might be a good way for getting your hands dirty working on your car. If you do, get some new decent hose clamps. The OEM clamps Porsche uses are those sprung type and suuuuck. You'll want one of those clamp tools if you don't have one.
https://www.amazon.ca/Flexible-Clamp-Pliers-Reach-Water/dp/B07H8243NG/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=hose+clamp+tool&qid=1624055593&sr=8-10

Also, is it yours now? If so, where the hell are the pics?

willroc7 posted:

Speaking of, I got the second car seat in today, a graco nautilus 65 harness booster for my 2 year old. And with that the 911 has officially become a family car as we took our first full foursome drive. I’m sure it’s mostly the novelty, but the kids were pretty giddy and didn’t want to go back home. Broken headlight, butchered carpets, janky exhaust and all.
That's cute. I don't think I've ever seen a 911 with a car seat (other than your pic obviously), let alone 2.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

That's cute. I don't think I've ever seen a 911 with a car seat (other than your pic obviously), let alone 2.

There used to be an actual Porsche part numbered car seat that was a Grayco? with a different base the fit exactly into the 911 rear seats. I think there was a 944 part number as well.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That is kind of neat. I didn't know that.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

So should I avoid 986 eggs?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
A friend of my wife's bought a Taycan a few weeks ago, she came over to visit and let me drive it. :3: It's a real blast, really snaps your head off if you stomp it in sport+ or whatever mode. Kinda hilarious that it has a super low ride height and a button to bump it up, then it remembers places with the GPS to know where to do it in the future. Sadly I only had ~15 minutes to drive it as I had to get the kids out of their hair. I can't wait for her to come over again so I can take it up the mountain.

I love the fat rear end on it in a way that I don't for the panamera for some reason. I don't know why anyone would buy a model s when this thing exists. Now they just need to make it into a station wagon. :kimchi:

Terrible picture because I wasn't thinking about it, my low trim Honda civic for scale:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

That's some cool rear end poo poo. The only thing that turned my head at the dealer was a taycan.