Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like to build up fortifications behind heavy cliff areas so the biters have to go around to get to them. I am the rocks of the eternal shore, crash against me and be broken!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

So someone got called out for racism which caused the factorio dev to have a meltdown over cancel culture.

https://twitter.com/CaseyExplosion/status/1405914909792256000?s=20

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Apparently it’s long been an open secret that Kovarex has horrid personal views, but I didn’t follow closely enough to hear about it before now.

Hot off the presses:

quote:

I'm not defending that women shouldn't be senior software engeneers, but if someone would defend that, it doesn't make him a bigot just because he proposes that and have some arguments, only if those arguments were debunked and the person wouldn't be willing to change his mind, then yes, it sounds like a bigot. But my feeling is, that this step is completely ignored in most of the cases. People are called bigots without any attempts at understanding the reasoning, it is the easy way.

https://old.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/o2ly6f/friday_facts_366_the_only_way_to_go_fast_is_to_go/h28beya/?context=3

More context with some charming comments like "Take the cancel culture mentaility and shove it up your rear end."

e: The full text of the “shove it up your arse” comment goes places.

quote:

Take the cancel culture mentaility and shove it up your rear end.

Edit:

Bigot according to google: "obstinate or unreasonable attachment to a belief, opinion, or faction; in particular, prejudice against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group."

With this mentalitty, I would call anyone attached to the idea that deplatforming is a proper way to deal with stuff we don't like bigots. But I won't do it, I will prefer to explain why deplatforming is dangerous.

There is obviously big difference in historical experience. In Czech republic, we had naciz occupying us, then the communism followed by 20 years of occupation of USSR. We have very close experience with censorship, propaganda and totalitarian regime. There was a lot of deplatforming going on, when people would go to prison or would be executed because they listened to the wrong radio station. Everyone knew that the regime is horrible, but they weren't able to talk about it publicly, there were secret printers used to create illegal material criticising the regime. In this kind of situation, people won't just start "liking the russians" just because there were portraied so nicely in the official newspapers. The strategy of deplatforming failed even when applied to the extreme with all the horrible cost it brings. If something, it made the opposition try harder.

But you have no such historical experience, and I have a feeling that most of the people don't really know much about these parts of history. They just want to do good, which is obviously nice, but they unwillingly do it in a way that potentially makes way more evil.

This is why the reaction was the way it was. Yes, it should have been differenly worded, I agree, because there would be bigger chance of discussion instead of just shoutouts, for this I'm sorry and I will do it differently next time. But if you want to make me (or anyone else) to change their minds about deplatforming, you need to use better arguments as well.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 18, 2021

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I guess the kovarex process produces extra radioactive takes.

Much like radioactive waste: "no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here. What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. "

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 18, 2021

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

At least the subreddit is ruthlessly dunking on him. Kudos to the mods for enforcing the rules on one of the developers.

Apparently this Uncle Bob person kovarex is talking about is very openly bigoted (and not even a good software engineer) so it's not even questionable. Really disappointing to see and I hope Wube handles this well.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

quote:

I'm not defending that women shouldn't be senior software engeneers, but if someone would defend that, it doesn't make him a bigot

holy moly yikes

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Solumin posted:

At least the subreddit is ruthlessly dunking on him. Kudos to the mods for enforcing the rules on one of the developers.

Apparently this Uncle Bob person kovarex is talking about is very openly bigoted (and not even a good software engineer) so it's not even questionable. Really disappointing to see and I hope Wube handles this well.

Well, it's a... mixed response more than ruthless dunking, and the mod did their best to get out of having to take action at all. e: along with Kovarex continuing to break sub rules afterwards without any opposition.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 18, 2021

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Solumin posted:

This blogpost has some highlights of Uncle Bob's crappiness, and links to other posts on the matter.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I made a small collection of Michal Kovařík's posts.

Zesty posted:

Creator of Factorio (Michal Kovařík, AKA kovarex) is having a meltdown about cancel culture.

For reference, this is Uncle Bob. He's a lovely 70 year old programmer and Trump lover.

He edited the post.

He started getting moderated by the subreddit mods for his own game. He got pissy.

and some other choice replies:

i DOn't seE rAce

Always a good sign when it's a hypothetical involving Stalin rather than going the full Godwin.

Here's a link to this one.
"I'm not defending that women shouldn't be senior software engeneers, but if someone would defend that, it doesn't make him a bigot..." :magical:

A little overlap with repeating posts in different collections here, sorry about that!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Doesn't he never discount factorio because he doesn't believe in discounts or sales or whatever

Him being a moron is the least surprising thing

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I recall the "no sale" thing being somewhat of a "no reason to wait for a sale, never feel bad about buying it at the "wrong" time"?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://twitter.com/factoriogame/status/1406038185424134144?s=20

:piss:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

For the record:

God loving damnit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like that the replies have a bunch of people just offering ways to pirate the game rather than give him money

He thinks statutory rape is a "sjw term" so he can get poo poo on forever.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's kovarex, a wonderful developer who makes great games!

*five seconds later* we regret to inform you kovarex is a huge stupid bigot

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Maybe steam will let me get a refund on this game I bought this week

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

darthbob88 posted:

This blogpost has some highlights of Uncle Bob's crappiness, and links to other posts on the matter.

Thread about Uncle Bob at conferences, which isn’t as bad as that makes it sound, but only because he didn’t assault anyone that we know of:

https://twitter.com/sarahmei/status/895327923346984960

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

You know, Dyson Sphere Program was pretty cool. I didn't give that enough time.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Just got a patch yesterday, actually.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

I really hope that it is only that dev sockpuppeting on the game's account and they are not all cheering him on.

Well, if it comes to that, they still have my money but I do not have to feel bad anymore for kinda preferring DSP or Satisfactory.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Time to check this one out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
drat. He’s been going for the milkshake completionist cheevo.

https://twitter.com/cigsender/status/1406046887233437697

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

oh no I gave this person money for their game and now regret it

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Factorio is great, regardless of whatever dumb poo poo the dev said. Just enjoy the game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Peachfart posted:

Factorio is great, regardless of whatever dumb poo poo the dev said. Just enjoy the game.
I went from "he's a shithead but at least the game is good" to "hey gently caress this guy everyone should pirate his game instead of giving him money" as soon as the statutory rape posts got unearthed. absolutely 100% to hell with this guy.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
EDIT: Actually, forget it. I don't want to start a dumb argument

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 19, 2021

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Peachfart posted:

The centrist/Liberal approach

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The lead developer being a turbo shithead doesn't make the game bad, and regardless of whether or not I play it again they've already got my money.

But I don't think I'll be recommending anyone buy it in future.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

lol this rear end in a top hat watched the recent John Oliver episode about woke brand marketing and took the completely wrong message from it

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Peachfart posted:

I'm on this team, I can't imagine boycotting everything touched by an idiot, it seems like they're loving everywhere these days. Dyson Sphere and Satisfactory are both excellent however and worth wasting some life on

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I vaguely remember hearing that kovarex is an rear end in a top hat years ago. Just a less specific kind of rear end in a top hat.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Yeah, he showed himself as a libertarian-brand rear end in a top hat a while ago when he started ranting about some government giving an arts grant to some game developer. I honestly didn’t care about that too much, but this has me quietly stripping the Factorio references out of my lecture slides.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Well this is extremely disappointing.

Also huge lol that the bigoted moron dev is the only one directly referenced inside the game itself.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Captain Invictus posted:

I went from "he's a shithead but at least the game is good" to "hey gently caress this guy everyone should pirate his game instead of giving him money" as soon as the statutory rape posts got unearthed. absolutely 100% to hell with this guy.

Not that he's not a shithead or that immediately jumping to "new SJW term" (also using the term SJW) isn't asinine, but I suspect the statutory rape post was mostly because he's Czech and doesn't know what "statutory" means in that context.

Aside: goddamn I hate the entire "women can't program" :biotruths: myth. I was a TA at my CS department while I did my master. While prepping courses professors would cheerfully say things like "give the girls some extra help, they're not very good at this" and pontificate about what female qualities it was made them so bad at computer touching that it would cause the CS student body to be only 5% women.

Meanwhile chemical engineering was 60% women, engineering physics was 40% women, somehow doing just as much or more math and logic as we did. Apparently the explanation for that just had to be that there is something about having an extra X chromosome that interferes with computer touching specifically. It couldn't possibly be that women avoid CS in favor of other sciences precisely because it's full of sexist dickbags.

Of course, half the male students then buy into the entire pile garbage as proof of their own suitability and wisdom for choosing CS when they're so uniquely suited to it, and the cycle begins again.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Xerophyte posted:

Not that he's not a shithead or that immediately jumping to "new SJW term" (also using the term SJW) isn't asinine, but I suspect the statutory rape post was mostly because he's Czech and doesn't know what "statutory" means in that context.
I think he has at least an idea because he then goes on to remark about how teachers dating students should be acceptable

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I think he has at least an idea because he then goes on to remark about how teachers dating students should be acceptable

Literal nonce apologia, dude has issues

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, that's in the post that he's replying to. He seems to think "statutory rape" is some new term related to the student-teacher dynamic and he's just advocating the gross idea that teachers sleeping with "consenting" students is a-ok as long as the students are of age. Not, I think, extremely disgusting idea that teachers sleeping with underaged kids is a-ok.

It's still gross even if I'm reading it right, of course, as is the other assorted dumb poo poo kovarex has said. I just don't think he actually meant to say that pedophilia is cool.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 19, 2021

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ash Crimson posted:

Literal nonce apologia, dude has issues

I thought we already knew he was a libertarian

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Women can't program, I say, ignoring the history of computer science before it became fashionable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

got to admit i'm surprised by this turn of events, though i'm not sure why anymore

too much left-over faith in humanity i guess!