Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

bump_fn posted:

what song is playing for scotland in this match?

Flower of Scotland, as usual for all sporting events involving Scotland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

EvilHawk posted:

Flower of Scotland, as usual for all sporting events involving Scotland

thanks that’s cool

what song does wales get and also NI

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would certainly say there is a big commonnality in thinking between "are videogames art? yes because I like them, no don't try and do art criticism on them!!!" and "is rationalism good? yes because I think religious strictures are unreasonable and harmful, no not those religious strictures I am actually very attached to gender norms!!!"

And a bunch of other stuff too, I think. There is a big throughline in a lot of political hysteria of people confusing uncritical enjoyment with critical love and care, and going loving apeshit when the latter takes off.

I would probably also venture that it has something to do with racism too where people are like "of course racism is bad, wait now you are saying that I or my beloved historical figure is/am racist, anti racism has gone too far!"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

https://twitter.com/almurray/status/1405935500666486794
^ :butt: :dong:

TAAR'AAAN AAAARRMAAAAAAY WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :scotland:

Thank gently caress for covid meaning we're sterilising the tube trains every night

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Seems like the whole of Keith's Communication team has bailed:

Ben Nunn has resigned but so also has Paul Ovenden the deputy comms director

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/senior-keir-starmer-aide-step-24351733

quote:

One of Keir Starmer closest aides has told Labour Party staff that he is stepping down.

Director of Communications Ben Nunn, who has worked for the Labour leader since 2016, said he was quitting to pursue other projects.

The departure of such a loyal figure will be a blow to the Labour leader at a time he has struggled to set out the party’s vision and slumped in the polls.

But Mr Nunn told Labour staff that he remains “as convinced today as I ever have been” that Mr Starmer would make it to No 10 and be a “great” Prime Minister.

The Mirror understands that the 33-year-old advisor is leaving on good terms with the Labour leader who has left the door open to his return in future.

Paul Ovenden, Keir Starmer's deputy communications director, is also stepping down. Labour insiders said that this was as a result of family reasons, rather than political events.

Football chat:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/england-scotland-wembley-euro-2020-24350464

quote:

Claps drown out boos as England and Scotland take knee at Wembley before Euro 2020 clash
While there were boos from some supporters at Wembley, they were swiftly overwhelmed by applause and cheers from most of the 21,500 fans in attendance for England and Scotland's Euro 2020 clash
etc

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

bump_fn posted:

thanks that’s cool

Wales: Deliah or Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau (Welsh national anthem).

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
England getting tonked would be the funniest result so I'm going for that

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Julio Cruz posted:

Why would that be funny?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Why would that be funny?

scotland will get its own L when they have an indyref and it’s rejected by westminster

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

bump_fn posted:

thanks that’s cool

Jaeluni answered about Wales. Northern Ireland almost always use God Save the Queen because of course they do.

I think sometimes when they play England they use another one but it happens so rarely.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I would certainly say there is a big commonnality in thinking between "are videogames art? yes because I like them, no don't try and do art criticism on them!!!" and "is rationalism good? yes because I think religious strictures are unreasonable and harmful, no not those religious strictures I am actually very attached to gender norms!!!"

And a bunch of other stuff too, I think. There is a big throughline in a lot of political hysteria of people confusing uncritical enjoyment with critical love and care, and going loving apeshit when the latter takes off.

I would probably also venture that it has something to do with racism too where people are like "of course racism is bad, wait now you are saying that I or my beloved historical figure is/am racist, anti racism has gone too far!"
Reminds me of a thing I scrolled past on Facebook about how Enid Blyton has been CANCELLED because English Heritage said that some of her books were called racist and xenophobic and lacking in any literary merit by her publishers back in 1960, and the ones that read like that Michael Richards rant probably shouldn't be on display, and all of the loving comments were "but it's history, it's part of our history."

Cool, so lets treat it like history and analyze haha no that's the last thing they want. Uncritical appreciation only thankyou, it's history.

EvilHawk posted:

I think sometimes when they play England they use another one but it happens so rarely.
England should be the ones switching, because they can just use Jerusalem or There'll Always be an England or many others.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
it just seems cheating that the uk gets to field four different teams in this situation. why doesn’t spain get to field all their autonomous zones? or germany each federal state?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

Reminds me of a thing I scrolled past on Facebook about how Enid Blyton has been CANCELLED because English Heritage said that some of her books were called racist and xenophobic and lacking in any literary merit by her publishers back in 1960, and the ones that read like that Michael Richards rant probably shouldn't be on display, and all of the loving comments were "but it's history, it's part of our history."

Cool, so lets treat it like history and analyze haha no that's the last thing they want. Uncritical appreciation only thankyou, it's history.

Statues are the only way to learn about people. If we don't recommemberate them, we'll forgetcombate them. Or something.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Because it's done by football association rather than by country.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

bump_fn posted:

it just seems cheating that the uk gets to field four different teams in this situation. why doesn’t spain get to field all their autonomous zones? or germany each federal state?

Cos they're not a United Kingdom like us. Not difficult

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

having listened to approximately 10 minutes of Ally McCoist's commentary I've changed my mind and now hope it's Scotland that get tonked

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

It's even one step worse than that because it's not like anyone ever actually gave a poo poo about half of this stuff until someone said it was crap. I don't even know half the poo poo blyton wrote and I doubt most people do either.

So it's really more attachment to the idea of it being good, not even the specific thing, the idea that anything even vaguely associated with whatever absurd fantastical group identity you've apparently invested your entire sense of self in, must be really good and cool and never have anything wrong with it the minute you hear about it.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Guavanaut posted:

England should be the ones switching, because they can just use Jerusalem or There'll Always be an England or many others.

I say this as a lefty England fan: gently caress I wish Jerusalem was our anthem

bump_fn posted:

England/Scotland/Wales/Ireland (later NI) formed their football associations well before the international organisations were... organised, so got grandfathered in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

EvilHawk posted:

I say this as a lefty England fan: gently caress I wish Jerusalem was our anthem

Jerusalem is genuinely a nice song IMO, and the only reason I don't want it to be the anthem is because I think that would make it worse by association.

God save the queen is horrible but it's also for horrible people so I don't necessarily mind.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

EvilHawk posted:

England/Scotland/Wales/Ireland (later NI) formed their football associations well before the international organisations were... organised, so got grandfathered in.

no other europeans had them? when did this happen

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
why is pissing not a sport

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

bump_fn posted:

Fifa was organised in 1904, the other FAs were wellllll before then (the latest was 1880).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

crispix posted:

It is, in Baltimore.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i reckon i'd be a champion pisser, like

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

It's even one step worse than that because it's not like anyone ever actually gave a poo poo about half of this stuff until someone said it was crap. I don't even know half the poo poo blyton wrote and I doubt most people do either.

So it's really more attachment to the idea of it being good, not even the specific thing, the idea that anything even vaguely associated with whatever absurd fantastical group identity you've apparently invested your entire sense of self in, must be really good and cool and never have anything wrong with it the minute you hear about it.
There also seems to be the polar opposite pairing of "and I don't care, of course, but they shouldn't shove it down our throats" whenever 'and gay people also exist' or 'gender is complicated' comes up, and "they're banning everything now" whenever some association removes the golliwog book from public display but you can still buy it if you really want to.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

*Faint strains of Fat Les grow louder in the distance*

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

i reckon i'd be a champion pisser, like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rsEs4HWXeY

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

I am so sad that this isn't a real commercial

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

crispix posted:

It's not a sport, it's an art.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Failed Imagineer posted:

*Faint strains of Fat Les grow louder in the distance*

That's a pretty disrespectful way to refer to Brenda.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

bump_fn posted:

You're aware who invented the game right

Its like how British stamps don't have the country on them or why The Times is just The Times (no not 'of London' yanks)

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 18, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
China, according to FIFA.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i don’t care enough about football to know it’s origin because it’s a boring game with worse flopping than the nba but it’s still weird that the uk gets to field four teams

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
if i have to hear a million europeans saying “why do you call it the world series if it’s just america?!?!?” then i can say this is dumb too

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if it is the world series of a sport only the US plays a lot of then it might as well be.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

bump_fn posted:

if i have to hear a million europeans saying “why do you call it the world series if it’s just america?!?!?” then i can say this is dumb too

Announcing you're wrong and carrying on anyway

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bump_fn posted:

This is actually a huge issue for the Olympics where you have to represent your Country so there's usually no Great Britain football team, and it was a lot of work to get a Great Britain Rugby team.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Aramoro posted:

This is actually a huge issue for the Olympics where you have to represent your Country so there's usually no Great Britain football team, and it was a lot of work to get a Great Britain Rugby team.

thsi raises a good question - which is worse, fifa or the olympic committee

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

bump_fn posted:

thsi raises a good question - which is worse, fifa or the olympic committee

I would say they are both a net good and international sport had actually improved the world.

I guess FIFA is more of a literal net good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

OwlFancier posted:

I mean if it is the world series of a sport only the US plays a lot of then it might as well be.

it’s huge in latin america and asia, but the money is all in the states so it’s kind of like premier league. there’s a world cup equivalent but almost no one cares