Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bump_fn posted:

thsi raises a good question - which is worse, fifa or the olympic committee

If you want to talk about the Euros then you need to include UEFA as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

bump_fn posted:

i don’t care enough about football to know it’s origin because it’s a boring game with worse flopping than the nba but it’s still weird that the uk gets to field four teams

To be fair, we are working on paring that down to three or two.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Aramoro posted:

This is actually a huge issue for the Olympics where you have to represent your Country so there's usually no Great Britain football team, and it was a lot of work to get a Great Britain Rugby team.
England and Scotland vetoed the UK being a thing for the euros and world cup, Ireland vetoed the UK being a thing for the Olympics. :laugh:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

*Faint strains of Fat Les grow louder in the distance*

A song written by a bunch of public schoolboys who've been dropping aitches and pretending to like football *would* be an extremely appropriate anthem for the England team, yeah.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

The world really needs a word for tedious boomer/edgelord whinging at "woke" stuff. I can't think of anything catchy

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

jiggerypokery posted:

The world really needs a word for tedious boomer/edgelord whinging at "woke" stuff. I can't think of anything catchy

Boiling ham?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

jiggerypokery posted:

snowflake

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
for more information about the english being mustachio and bespectacled rogues well before anyone else at FIFA please consult the documentary "United Passions"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
pineappling

like pineapples and gammon which is traditional, and they like tradition

and pining, like pining for public executions and proper metal dustbins and castrations for the gays and beatings for the children

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
and paying 2 hapeney schillings and six dee for a hogshead of small-mead and a white wine for the missus

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If we were to execute people it should definitely involve a dustbin.

Like put them in it and roll them down a hill in the manner of a cheese. If you survive then so be it, god's will and all that.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
nah i reckon they'd just bash their heads in with a shovel if they didn't die

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

It really loving bothers me that "woke" became this sarcastic catchall and there's no ubiquitous word for whinging about it.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

jiggerypokery posted:

It really loving bothers me that "woke" became this sarcastic catchall and there's no ubiquitous word for whinging about it.

Wokesturbating?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
With four home nations teams in the football it's four chances to win lads!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno, I can't really remember it ever not being a slightly stupid word, I assume it was originally actually useful before it migrated out of AAVE and into more widespread usage but I think from the start of it taking off it was pretty poorly defined and kind of... like mocking sort of? Or self aware-ly overwrought maybe.

I don't know anybody ever using it fully sincerely I guess and then the gammon brigade got hold of it and now it's just everything I don't like is fascist so it has become entirely meaningless.

In a sense I'm not really sad about it because I think the lack of attachment or sincere usage of it within my vocabulary just makes it funny when the right latch onto it and have conniptions about it. Like it's grating sure but it's also them working themselves into a froth over something I never really took very seriously anyway so it's almost its own insult at this point. People using the word woke are the only ones who seem to actually care about it because it describes a concept that only exists in their heads, born of an inability to actually understand the myriad positions they try to include under it.

I guess it's the new "cultural marxism" or "gay agenda" or whatever nonsense idea they think is behind an entire universe of political thought and also a lot of stuff that isn't political and they just don't like.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
it's weird seeing ian wright and david beckham and gareth southgate being elder football men, i can remember when they were playing :corsair:

they are all old enough to have had prostate exams, if you think about it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I had a prostate exam in my twenties.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
DIY doesn't count

i meant by a medical professional

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
my new physio says bumhole instead of back passage, and i don't know how i feel about it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hey you start pissing blood and they will do all sorts of stuff to your undercarriage.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They use woke now because they finally realised that to normal people SJW conjures up awesome images of short haired lesbians on horses holding flaming swords.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think honestly they never change arguments so they have to constantly find new words to describe the same idea like a dog being given a succession of different coloured squeaky toys.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The one thing I don't want to happen is a draw because the centrist columns about how it applies to the indy debate will blot out the loving sun.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

The reverse euphemism treadmill. The pejoratives used to denigrate the socially conscious keep picking up positive associations along the way, and must be discarded.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

bump_fn posted:

i don’t care enough about football to know it’s origin because it’s a boring game with worse flopping than the nba but it’s still weird that the uk gets to field four teams

It's literally just "coz that's how it's always been". The first International was between Scotland and England in 1872. The FA was founded in 1863, SFA in 1873, FAW in 1876 & IFA in 1880. Meanwhile the first continental football association wasn't organised until 1889 (Denmark or Netherlands)

There's also a history of non-nation state's competing in international football: Austria & Hungary played each other in a game in 1902, and Bohemia faced the Hungarians the following year.

But probably the biggest reason is the people who keep the rules of the game up to date is called the International Football Association Board and was formed in 1886 by the 4 home nation FAs. Hilariously even today it's made up of 8 people, 1 each from Scotland, England, Wales & NI and 4 from the rest of FIFA.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

if you think the 4 home nations being in are obscene you'll lose your mind when you find out about gibraltar and bermuda having teams.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ItohRespectArmy posted:

if you think the 4 home nations being in are obscene you'll lose your mind when you find out about gibraltar and bermuda having teams.

The real obscenity is that Isle of Man doesn't have a UEFA membership

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The triskelion but all of the feet are kicking balls.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

ItohRespectArmy posted:

lmao does gibraltar even have room for a pitch

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

The real obscenity is that Isle of Man doesn't have a UEFA membership

The Isles of Scilly, meanwhile, have a thriving football league. Fought over for the last 70 years by just two clubs, the Garrison Gunners and Woolpack Wanderers. Thrilling stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isles_of_Scilly_Football_League

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bump_fn posted:

lmao does gibraltar even have room for a pitch

Occasional stoppages so the planes can land.

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013
https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1406004486313844745

The only joy to get out of politics these days is watching increasingly uncomfortable and unsure centrist Labour MPs and their supporters on the news talking about how, actually, losing is winning so I'm excited for the upcoming content.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

blues thief posted:

The only joy to get out of politics these days is watching increasingly uncomfortable and unsure centrist Labour MPs and their supporters on the news talking about how, actually, losing is winning so I'm excited for the upcoming content.

I mean eventually hope may exist again, but I must admit I am just so disappointed on the various different vacuous pissbabies who seem incapable of learning a loving thing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

blues thief posted:

https://twitter.com/BydysawdCatrin/status/1406010881117507585

This is the level they see politics on.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

hashtag jo cox

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The triskelion but all of the feet are kicking balls.
They should make it a visual puzzle like the three hares.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

blues thief posted:

If Labour lose the seat by fewer votes than Gorgeous gets I will die laughing

Galloway is a horrendous chancer of a man who has firmly huffed his own farts to the point of asphyxiation and the death of his brain but gently caress it, Labour are wastemen

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Isn't Labour's whole campaign in Batley & Spen basically the 'do it for her' simpsons meme but with Maggie replaced with Jo Cox pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
2029 Election Map for the Whole UK